• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
So as far as third party wrappers go, what is available for the Vive?

Also, someone mentioned F-Zero GX in VR. Does that mean there is a GC emulator that works with VR? Because Metroid Prime.....

Oh man, if the Dolphin guys can get Vive with controller support to work...I'm done for.

Its got to be on their list for wii emulation right? But movement? will that translate?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
OK, I upgraded to Windows 10 and checked out Lucky's Tale and the Oculus demo stuff.

Great work, but yeah, Lucky's tale falls apart after the first level with stuttering. All the Oculus demos worked great though, solid 90 fps.

Cartman86

Banned
Anyone know how to reset orientation in Chronos on Vive? Back/View button and SteamVR reset orientation buttons work in Lucky's Tale but not in Chronos.

JackDT

So as far as third party wrappers go, what is available for the Vive?

Also, someone mentioned F-Zero GX in VR. Does that mean there is a GC emulator that works with VR? Because Metroid Prime.....

There's an unofficial port of Dolphin for VR but it hasn't been updated to the Vive or Oculus 1.3 yet.

It works wonderfully if you can get the frame rate issues tweaked out via hacks or the various settings. But getting that right is very tricky.

You get total free look separate from the game engine, so you can look around menus and see objects off screen, or see npcs spawn and despawn, because you aren't looking where you character looks. If there's scrolling text in Ocarina of Time you see a giant monolith moving into position off screen to get ready. It's like watching behind the scenes at a play.

Even menus become places in VR. For example his is a menu in Resident Evil 4. It's not just a head, there's a whole person standing there!

WxS7dgT.png

There's an unofficial port of Dolphin for VR but it hasn't been updated to the Vive or Oculus 1.3 yet.

It works wonderfully if you can get the frame rate issues tweaked out via hacks or the various settings. But getting that right is very tricky.

You get total free look separate from the game engine, so you can look around menus and see objects off screen, or see npcs spawn and despawn, because you aren't looking where you character looks. If there's scrolling text in Ocarina of Time you see a giant monolith moving into position off screen to get ready. It's like watching behind the scenes at a play.

Even menus become places in VR. For example his is a menu in Resident Evil 4. It's not just a head, there's a whole person standing there!

WxS7dgT.png

This is awesome. Do you have any more examples? I'd love to see that Ocarina of Time one

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
For a new page - Technolust works.

The LT Revive patch is basically a general Unity patch. If you go to patch a game and don't see the binary folders, it's likely a unity game. Apply the patch to that game as if it were luckey's tale, then launch that game's executable and it'll work.

Conversely, if it's a UE4 game, use the revive injector patch, which involves dragging the executable into the revive injector (or setting it as a launch option).

Likely many games work right now. I've only tried 3 - Luckey's Tale, Dreamdeck, and Technolust. Someone needs to make a topic on this, this is really big. Just last week, this was only a proof of concept for Luckey's Tale only.

Are you putting the LibRevive64_1 and openvr_api dlls in the directory that contains Technolust.exe, then putting the OVRPlugin.dll in "Technolust_data/Plugins"?

I just tried that, and when I run Technolust.exe, the screen flashes blank for a second then the application quits.

EDIT: Rebooted, now the game loads but it only displays on my monitor and not the Vive.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Lol. So although he probably hurt himself by falling over, he was probably relived the fall was so short - in his head he was about to fall to the floor below.

With this and Jeff/Brad leaning on walls in budget cuts that don't exist, people are definitely going to hurt themselves. Does chaperone show the floor? I wonder how you can put out your arms to protect you when you can't see the floor?

Lemonte

I tried to lean on the counter while washing dishes in Job Simulator like I always do in real life. Almost fell over and it was amazing.

Mikeside

Lol. So although he probably hurt himself by falling over, he was probably relived the fall was so short - in his head he was about to fall to the floor below.

With this and Jeff/Brad leaning on walls in budget cuts that don't exist, people are definitely going to hurt themselves. Does chaperone show the floor? I wonder how you can put out your arms to protect you when you can't see the floor?

gen 2 will deploy airbags

FinKL

There was a Vive demo I think made by Sleep Mattress that tried to simulate what being sleep deprived felt like. Anyway towards the end, they ask you to walk off a platform. Even though I knew I wouldnt fall to my death, my body REFUSED to do it. And when I did make the leap of faith, my heart sunk for a split second, but then I came to my senses that this was a fake VR demo. I can totally relate to Shu, that moment of dread.

Dreams-Visions could you give this a try..this is quote from the reddit thread it sounds like things look different if you don't launch thru Steam

Just saw this and tried it. Need more details, really. See, the thing is as far as I can tell, Vive *needs* SteamVR to do anything. Like, the base stations don't wake up and nothing displays on the HMD. At best I was able to get a white screen in the Vive without SteamVR being on, but I could see no game. Even if I could see the game, there would be no tracking without the base stations.

If they got it to work in some different way, I'd need instructions on exactly how it was done so that I can test it.

FWIW, I did try booting the game, then loading SteamVR after. Looked the same as always.

IMACOMPUTA

So, I finally got my Vive. I got it all set up and everything. Tried a couple games. Had my mind blown, etc.
So far the most impressive things I tried were the Lab's archery game, the Brookhaven experiment demo, and the Blu's jellyfish section.
I decided to get a refund on a couple things --

hoverjunkers: feels like I need a much bigger room to be comfortable. I'm scared to make quick movements. Also it's kind of janky and chaotic in a bad way. (Iirc there wasn't any haptic feedback when shooting.. It really made the shooting feel bad. What's the deal?)

Virtual desktop: I can't really see myself using this for anything. The vive isn't high enough res for something like this to be enjoyable for me. Also it's incredibly annoying that I can't use the vive controllers to control my mouse/kb.

I would also like to say that steam VR needs a LOT of work.
In the relatively short amount of time I spent playing, I had multiple instances where the steam overlay wouldn't load. It actually prevented me from completing the tutorial. Other times my camera feed wouldn't load, so I couldn't tell where I was in my room without taking my headset off.
Restarting steamVR fixed these things, but it's so much more annoying in VR than it would be in a regular setting.

Oh, and I have a huge head and the strap isn't long enough to "cradle the base of my skull" like everyone recommends.

kaskade

I tried to lean on the counter while washing dishes in Job Simulator like I always do in real life. Almost fell over and it was amazing.

I can imagine that being one of those moments that scares you to death for a split second, then cracks you up afterward.

So I tried DCS out last night. It's....janky. You have in-game hands that I assume are supposed to map to the Vive controllers, but the hands were pointing in random directions and seemed to be tracked at my elbow. Also there doesn't appear to be any way to re-center, meaning you have to move to line yourself up with the cockpit. I'm going to try again tonight, hopefully there was something I was missing.

deadfolk

So I tried DCS out last night. It's....janky. You have in-game hands that I assume are supposed to map to the Vive controllers, but the hands were pointing in random directions and seemed to be tracked at my elbow. Also there doesn't appear to be any way to re-center, meaning you have to move to line yourself up with the cockpit. I'm going to try again tonight, hopefully there was something I was missing.

Please report back. I'm still waiting for my Vive, but I'm very interested in trying DCS with it.

Zalusithix

They're just going for the surgeon simulator style of cockpit control manipulation. ;)

TheCrow

Can anyone recommend a decent not to expensive headset to use with this? All I currently own are earbuds.

I just ordered these last week. Not sure if you would consider that "cheap" but I heard they are damn good at that pricepoint. Big plus is that they are really comfortable. I can wear them for hours with no problem. My previous set would start to hurt during long dota sessions.

b0bbyJ03

Hey, Just need to ask one quick question: is a 3770K (mine is overclocked to 4.3) good enough to hit the proper frame rates for the Vive or will it hold me back? I've got a 980 right now and I plan on upgrading to a Polaris or Pascal card this year. Thanks.

Just saw this and tried it. Need more details, really. See, the thing is as far as I can tell, Vive *needs* SteamVR to do anything. Like, the base stations don't wake up and nothing displays on the HMD. At best I was able to get a white screen in the Vive without SteamVR being on, but I could see no game. Even if I could see the game, there would be no tracking without the base stations.

If they got it to work in some different way, I'd need instructions on exactly how it was done so that I can test it.

FWIW, I did try booting the game, then loading SteamVR after. Looked the same as always.

I just watched someone demo a project on the Vive built via 3.js, which is WebGL... I don't think that involved SteamVR? (They did show where they switched to Unity after and had a much easier time with it, though.)

App in question was a visual calendar that plotted your life events as points as they exist in our solar system (following Earth's orbit, the world line).

I just watched someone demo a project on the Vive built via 3.js, which is WebGL... I don't think that involved SteamVR? (They did show where they switched to Unity after and had a much easier time with it, though.)

App in question was a visual calendar that plotted your life events as points as they exist in our solar system (following Earth's orbit, the world line).

Word. I'd need a tutorial to do it, then. It wasn't clear to me.

Can anyone recommend a decent not to expensive headset to use with this? All I currently own are earbuds.

Ordered the Playstation Gold headset from NewEgg over the weekend, it was on sale for $60, not sure if it still is. They work good, and you can set Virtual Surround on your PC to get the same simulated surround sound you get on the PS4. Works wirelessly on the PC as well.

Hey, Just need to ask one quick question: is a 3770K (mine is overclocked to 4.3) good enough to hit the proper frame rates for the Vive or will it hold me back? I've got a 980 right now and I plan on upgrading to a Polaris or Pascal card this year. Thanks.

Your totally screwed..

Actually I have a 3550 i5 with 970 and everything I have run has been great.

windows 10 though

Mikeside

I really wish the makers of Project Cars, Assetto Corsa, Dirt Rally etc would hurry up with support. I don't care which does it, I just want a decent racing game to play

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Nother Wrapper game working
WWII flight sims are one of the cockpit games i really want to try in VR, god bless these guys.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4er9s4/how_to_run_war_thunder_steam_version_with_librevr/
How to run WAR THUNDER steam version with LibreVR on your HTC VIVE !! Awesome experience ^^

submitted an hour ago * by TheMightyCoolSpy

For people interested in playing War Thunder with their HTC Vive on Steam, I just successfully ran it on mine:

-Launch SteamVR and keep it running

-Launch War Thunder Launcher, in advanced graphics settings, check "oculus rift", close the window

-Unzip the content of ReviveInjector (found here https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive/releases/download/0.2.1/ReviveInjector.zip) in your Steam\SteamApps\common\War Thunder\win64 folder

-Drag Aces.exe over ReviveInjector.exe to launch the game (press and hold left button over aces.exe, move your cursor over reviveinjector.exe, and release)

Have fun flying in this great sim with your HTC VIVE folks !!

Anyone tried American Truck Simulator on Vive yet?

I just want drive and chill VR game

It's only on Rift atm. They have some issues with implementing OpenVR http://steamcommunity.com/app/227300/discussions/0/648814844007204502/#c371919771763943883
Unfortunately yes.

The game is still DX9 and in OpenVR it was doing its own rendering into the HMD monitor. It looks that with more recent versions of SteamVR runtime this is conflicting with the compositor over who will be rendering into the monitor and with more recent versions of the OpenVR API I was unable to even get information necessary to locate the monitor.

Generally the API moves towards the DX10+ based compositor the same way it was with Oculus. I tried to use the compositor and it did work however the performance was very bad. It is similar problem to what I had when Oculus added compositor. The OpenVR compositor API is more limited than Oculus API so I do not know if I will be able to implement the asynchronous stuff like I was able with Oculus. It will certainly be more work and it will be unable to match the guality of the native ATW on Oculus.

Hopefully they will at least get it working with a bit less polish than the Rift stuff. Games like this with very inconsistent fps might be the area where Rift is hands down better than Vive. At least for now, but hopefully not for long.

Monger

I've seen the node video, but has anyone here mounted their tracking boxes further than the recommended 5 m apart?

I'm going to ceiling mount mine and use a sync cable but I'd like to push them out a bit further so I'm wondering how that's been working for people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom