• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I've seen the node video, but has anyone here mounted their tracking boxes further than the recommended 5 m apart?

I'm going to ceiling mount mine and use a sync cable but I'd like to push them out a bit further so I'm wondering how that's been working for people.

if you're using a sync cable you'll be fine - each lighthouse then only has to see you. The 5m limitation is mainly to allow the sync pulses to be visible which are weaker than the lasers.

Sky Chief

Yeah. And the top strap is all the way loosened.

I have a huge head and the strap is more than long enough for me to get a cradle on the back of my head without the strap being fully loosened. I'm guessing that you're wearing the headset too low on your face which is easy to do. It should touch only the very top of your cheekbones immediately beneath your eye socket. Wearing it like this will make it far more comfortable for long sessions and reduce blurriness.

Reallink

I'd just recommend using Virtual Desktop on both headsets. Colors seem off to me in Oculus Cinema for some reason.

Yea Oculus Theater is broken, there's an RGB range mismatch going on. In videos, blacks are being displayed as like a 40% gray.

I've seen the node video, but has anyone here mounted their tracking boxes further than the recommended 5 m apart?

I'm going to ceiling mount mine and use a sync cable but I'd like to push them out a bit further so I'm wondering how that's been working for people.

I was at 26' but was having some issues brought them in around 18ish' seems good

Kevin

So I have a Vive on preorder and I am just wondering what are some of the best "seated" games that are worth checking out on the Vive?

Both ones available now and ones coming out.

Qassim

Got mine! It's great, controller tracking is mind blowing. I'm in a really hacked together temporary setup until I can get the trackers on the wall and unfortunately can't do room scale until I can get particularly one of them on the wall (as one tripod is in my intended play area).

The setup process indicates that I should have just about the minimum once I've put it on the wall, so I hope that's true. But yeah, The Lab & Audioshield (all I've played so far) are really fuckin cool, especially audio shield.

Also, people kept talking about the sense of scale you get, but I really wasn't prepared for it. GLaDOS in the aperture robot repair demo was massive!

Krejlooc

Banned
So, playing Technolust with an Xbox 360 controller using the ReVive injection driver is kinda shitty, but if you add the executable as a Non-Steam game, then you can use a steam controller to play it and it becomes totally playable. Lol god bless that controller.

So, playing Technolust with an Xbox 360 controller using the ReVive injection driver is kinda shitty, but if you add the executable as a Non-Steam game, then you can use a steam controller to play it and it becomes totally playable. Lol god bless that controller.
Is there something about the Steam controller that makes it a better experience in VR or is it a preference thing between controllers? Because I've been trying to use my Steam controller more lately and still kind of hate the thing.

Krejlooc

Banned
Is there something about the Steam controller that makes it a better experience in VR or is it a preference thing between controllers?

The xbox controller is flat out messed up in technolust using the revive injection driver. Several functions dont respond or act weird (like the walking is fucked up)

The keyboard controls still work fine, though, so if you set the steam controller as a keyboard then you can play like normal without fucked up controls.

So I tried DCS out last night. It's....janky. You have in-game hands that I assume are supposed to map to the Vive controllers, but the hands were pointing in random directions and seemed to be tracked at my elbow. Also there doesn't appear to be any way to re-center, meaning you have to move to line yourself up with the cockpit. I'm going to try again tonight, hopefully there was something I was missing.

5 on numpad resets your view. Can't really say much about the rest, performance was rather poor on my pc (3570k, GTX970, both OCd) and I got quite motion sick from looking up while doing a corkscrew so I closed it again

The xbox controller is flat out messed up in technolust using the revive injection driver. Several functions dont respond or act weird (like the walking is fucked up)

The keyboard controls still work fine, though, so if you set the steam controller as a keyboard then you can play like normal without fucked up controls.

Ah weird. At least there options!

Oh man, finally get Vive shipped today, but my company name is nowhere to be found on the shipping email and tracking, HTC were fucking useless! So can any of you guys that used a business name confirm if it'll be ok, and it just doesn't show, or should I be concerned?

Oh man, finally get Vive shipped today, but my company name is nowhere to be found on the shipping email and tracking, HTC were fucking useless! So can any of you guys that used a business name confirm if it'll be ok, and it just doesn't show, or should I be concerned?

Wish I could help you! What wave were you in though?

bltn

Same thing happened to me, company name missing on the address. Thankfully DHL managed to find me. Might be because of the number of packages they deliver to me...

Same thing happened to me, company name missing on the address. Thankfully DHL managed to find me. Might be because of the number of packages they deliver to me...

Jesus, can't they do anything right! I'm gonna have to put a note on the door of the address its going to, as no one will be there! Arghhhhh

Posted this in the VR mega thread but figured I'd post it here as well:

I wonder if there will be aftermarket foam adapters and straps for the vive. Many seem to mention that its extremely easy to remove both. Would be interested in an after market setup assuming the Vive does become uncomfortable to wear with prolonged use. JUNE CANT COME SOON ENOUGH.

I also wanted to echo some questions regarding seated or sitting only games. Which ones have you all tried on the vive? How are they?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I'm getting my Vive tomorrow, here's the short list I've got going for download tonight.

61a0FrT.png

What else should go in the "need to try IMMEDIATELY" section.

I also don't have any out-of-steam applications, so anything stand out that is its own separate executable?

I'm getting my Vive tomorrow, here's the short list I've got going for download tonight.

61a0FrT.png

I also don't have any out-of-steam applications, so anything stand out that is its own separate executable?

Wave?

It would be really nice to put in the OP that it would be helpful to post what wave you are in when posting about your order arriving.

Qassim

Got room scale working, need to be a bit careful, but managed to play mostly unimpeded in Space Pirate Trainer and Budget Cuts. It's amazing how much going from playing standing to room scale adds to things - even in my space that is currently less than the minimum.

It's so good. Budget Cuts could really be an incredible game.

TheCrow

That's a solid list. I'm still on the fence for Vanishing Realms and The Gallery. But I'm leaning towards buying them this weekend.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

61a0FrT.png

Hover Junkers was already mentioned, but yeah, it should be on every list.

Download the Irrational Exuberance: The Prologue. It's free and for me was a wow moment despite running The Lab and theBlu before it.

Shoyz

I grabbed Chunks. It's 25% off this week ($15 vs. $20). Being from the guys behind Garry's Mod I'm betting we'll see a ton of future mods for it as well.

It has a Minecraft aesthetic which looks great despite drawbacks of current VR headsets, and a customizable roller coaster (and environment) has alone been my #1 desired kind of game since DK1 days.

Shame some of the sales have ended since launch week considering so few Vives went out by then.

padlock

61a0FrT.png

I've really enjoyed Final Approach and Pierhead Arcade.

Outside of Steam, if you've got Minecraft, then you should try the minecrift mod.

Mine got here today, which was a day earlier than the delivery said. Yay! Now to wait on the email with the game codes.

So I'm going to stop on my way home from work to pick up the floor to ceiling poles. What is the other part I need to mount the lighthouses to them?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

61a0FrT.png

BLARP! is my favorite VR game so far. Buy it immediately!

Watching the Tested Rift vs Vive video, I am realizing I haven't even touched the Vive's adjustable lens knobs. Totally forgot it existed!
It defaults to the setting closest to your eye, which gives you the best FOV. Not sure there's any benefit to pushing them back unless you need to make space for glasses.

Sky Chief

It defaults to the setting closest to your eye, which gives you the best FOV. Not sure there's any benefit to pushing them back unless you need to make space for glasses.

I saw someone say that pushing it back a notch reduces fresnel lense artifacts while not reducing FOV much of at all.

BTW I can easily wear the Vive with my glasses even on the closest setting and could not do this on the DK2 (actually had to be on the furthest setting).

I saw someone say that pushing it back a notch reduces fresnel lense artifacts while not reducing FOV much of at all.

BTW I can easily wear the Vive with my glasses even on the closest setting and could not do this on the DK2 (actually had to be on the furthest setting).

That's interesting, I wear glasses, is there any lense vs lense rub at all?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So I tried the Final Approach and the game is actually more fun than I thought. In video seemed a bit shallow, but playing the god air traffic controller/fireman/pigeon whistler is actually quite interesting and demanding at some point.

And being on the runway and seeing a plane land right through you even if you know that it's not real it's damn frightening. I dodge it without wanting to.

Yeah, for me pushing it just one click back reduced the halo a bit and the FOV was the same (I tried it a lot back and forth to check, two clicks were reducing the FOV though).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom