• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive shipment delays/issues

Tain

April Rift, May Vive.

The Vive is gonna be one big wait.

all I can do is sit here and work on my VR game on my DK2, but that's a good way to pass the time!

p2535748

I should really play the lottery. I got my Rift on the 28th, and the Vive on Wednesday. It's incredibly shitty that both of these have had such launch issues, because in the end, I think they're both good pieces of hardware, but when you've got something totally new like this, launch issues can cast a shadow over the whole thing. Sorry for anyone caught up in this.

Wallach

i just wanna drive cars in the virtual, man
9VCzRo4.png

I preordered last week but have an April date. So I'm in this limbo where I shouldn't expect anything until May, but due to unclear messaging from HTC there's this chance I could get it sometime in April. It is excruciating.

libertytoast

Neo Member
Would it be possible to glean some kind of total shipped figure from the packed in games on SteamSpy? By no means completely accurate and there's a few variables, but might give us a good idea how many units/codes have gone out.

Tilt Brush
Job Simulator
Fantastic Contraption

Hard to tell. The amount of owners of Tilt Brush and Fantastic Contraption are identical (16,066 ± 3,238), but Job Simulator's numbers are much lower (2,526 ± 1,489). Given how high the owner count for those first two games is, it's not unreasonable to assume there are at least 12,000 Vive CV1's shipped.

Mikeside

Hard to tell. The amount of owners of Tilt Brush and Fantastic Contraption are identical (16,066 ± 3,238), but Job Simulator's numbers are much lower (2,526 ± 1,489). Given how high the owner count for those first two games is, it's not unreasonable to assume there are at least 12,000 Vive CV1's shipped.

people got Tilt Brush and Fantastic Contraption for having Pre units, but not Job Simulator so that explains the difference

TheRed

Can't be worse than Oculus right? At least you guys had an extra week before the pain came, and didn't have a March estimate like with Oculus :(

YuShtink

Can't be worse than Oculus right? At least you guys had an extra week before the pain came, and didn't have a March estimate like with Oculus :(

Oh don't worry I'm still waiting for my "March" Oculus pre-order too lol.

At least I got the 1-3 week processing e-mail 2 weeks ago for that, I'm at relatively confident in that shipping by end of next week.

I have no F'ing clue what's going on with my Vive order at this point.

Mikeside

I ordered at :02 and still haven't got mine.

some people on Reddit ordered on day 2 and have already got theirs.
After all the fuckups, I'm not sure it really matters what time you ordered up to this point, but hopefully it'll start mattering from here on out.

I have a Vive on order, but I don't see any delays.

HTC said Vive would start shipping/arriving on April 5 and it did. Every day since then they have been shipping orders to customers. HTC never promised folks a specific day they would receive their order. The order confirmation E-mail either says your Vive will ship in April or May.

If HTC ships all the April orders by April 30th, they will be on schedule. Too many impatient customers assumed that 100% of the April shipments would happen the week of April 5th, which is not what HTC said.

You've been answered quite extensively allready, but I4d like to add my own bit.
Official global launch day was set to the 5th of april. Do you really think having (at most) a couple thousands vives out worldwide by that time was HTC's schedule?
So yea, april....just like next time you book a restaurant for 8 o'clock, you'll be ok waiting for your table till 8:59 (all while late bookers passing in front of you): still on schedule!

My friend got his delivered to Annapolis Maryland a day now. Zero charges on his card so far.... even the hold is gone. He was a :49 order and has not gotten an email confirmation of either tracking or shipping soooo.

I pre-ordered within the hour Vive went live and have since been waiting patiently for some sort of shipping/tracking/CC charge. Then I check my email last night and HTC cancelled my order for no reason. Contacted support today and they set up a new order stating that it won't effect my spot in line (which I think is total BS btw). Just nothing but bad luck so far. I almost wanna just say fuck it and pick it up when it hits retail...

Yeah I really don't understand how practically nobody got a Vive in IL.

What the fuck?

We should drive to the shipping warehouse near Indy and demand they let us pick ours up! There are dozens of us! Plus we could hit up Zaxby's...

Also odd that they ship out of Indy and on that map nobody in even that area has received one.

Do you vive pre orders get an estimate of when your delivery is, or do you have to hack your chrome javascript developer windows to figure out a timestamp that really tells you nothing?

Qassim

Do you vive pre orders get an estimate of when your delivery is, or do you have to hack your chrome javascript developer windows to figure out a timestamp that really tells you nothing?

Nah, not even that. The only estimates they gave were 'April - Wave 1/2' and 'May', but those were only exposed by an automated response they give when you enquired about your order via a particular support form.

Kathian

Banned
Basically the VR launches are why you need retail support. They provide logistics and something to balance large production against.

Qassim

Basically the VR launches are why you need retail support. They provide logistics and something to balance large production against.

And it's why Sony won't have these issues. They may very well be supply constrained, but they won't have issues with people's orders getting erronously cancelled, not shipping out in order, getting sent by the wrong service (one batch in the UK got sent out by DHL economy when they paid £60(!) for Express, which is the difference between 1 day shipping and 5 day shipping), stores suffering under load, not being able to track your order properly, etc.

Sony is a console manufacturer so its relationship with retailers is understandably very close, but I so wish Oculus and HTC had just swallowed whatever benefits they think they gained by selling directly and just sent a load to big retailers like Amazon.

Bsigg12

To be fair, I think both companies significantly underestimated the demand for these headsets but considering they are $600 and $800 respectively, and they both require a pretty solid rig to power them, it makes sense that botching these launches could be a thing.

On the side of Oculus, hopefully their update on Tuesday explains what the fuck is actually happening. HTC and Digital River just seem to be saying fuck it and are just sorta sending things out as they go.

iceatcs

I just canceled my order. If they don't want my business I'm not going to bother them with it.

Same but I ordered about a week ago, £57 shipping is way too high for this stake. I will hold till the retailers launch. it will be cheaper.

iceatcs

Do you have a Microsoft Store nearby? They are taking reservations for Vives.

In UK? I don't remember I have saw a MS store.

But Game UK have some Vive advert banners for Steam's shelf, but still in the back office for while.

So now HTC are saying that people's orders are being processed if they've seen the pending transaction removed? Hmmmm, don't they mean they'll have another go at getting it?

IMACOMPUTA

We should drive to the shipping warehouse near Indy and demand they let us pick ours up! There are dozens of us! Plus we could hit up Zaxby's...

Also odd that they ship out of Indy and on that map nobody in even that area has received one.
Also seems kind of ridiculous spending $30 on shipping for a 4~ hour drive.
I'll send you a PM when I get a shipping notice. If you could do the same I'd really appreciate it!

Top Bottom