• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hubris and Bullshit: Modern Warfare 2 PC will not allow dedicated servers.

MedHead

Mikey Jr. said:
Yep, thats the only way.
Not really. Not buying it is another option. I mean, if you simply can't avoid playing the game, I suppose buying used will make you feel better; but if your purpose is to send a message to the fat cats at Activision, I don't think it'll do much for your cause. I guess it's fun to join in the fray, but proclaiming "I won't buy it... new" seems silly to me.

cjelly said:
And what happens when they release PDLC and force you to have it in all the Matchmaking Playlists?

If its anything like how Halo 3 handled it, anybody that doesn't buy the DLC gets screwed, and it only gets worse as more packs are released. Before ODST came out Halo 3 had only 2 ranked playlists for those without the DLC packs.

Mikey Jr.

mr stroke said:
I am curious what does Activision/IW get out of doing this? isn't this more work for them in the long run?

(can't they still sell DLC either way?)

What Activision gets

1. Piracy is lowered
2. Can force DLC because custom maps is not possible and people will be forced to buy if they want any new content at all.
3. Gives them almost complete control over the multiplayer experience. Can't do anything unless it goes through IW.net verification.

If IW.net goes down for maintenance or something, hhaha, fuck you, you aint playing.

Mikey Jr. said:
If they are on PS3 and 360, they have no choice. They cant use their own system. They can only use it for the PC.

Indeed, they'll likely be getting all the profits from DLC through IWnet, i believe MS/sony take a considerable percentage of all the content sold on their online services?

Safe Bet

Banned
cjelly said:
And what happens when they release PDLC and force you to have it in all the Matchmaking Playlists?
Which basically equates to implementing a subscription fee.

*cough*Halo 3*cough*

gillty

Banned
kamspy said:
I've always viewed IW as a classy bunch. Probably one of my top ten devs, if not top five. Since their days as 2015 with EA, to the day I played COD4 on my PC with my shiny new 8800GTX, I have yet to buy an IW game that wasn't worth every penny.
as rydog would say

WHAT THE HELL?

Robert Bowling classy? lulz that guy is a db, and iw has never supported their pc competitive community 100%.

Valve is classy, they make many amazing games (key word GAMES, not a single game) and support all of their communities 100%.

Mikey Jr. said:
If IW.net goes down for maintenance or something, hhaha, fuck you, you aint playing.
They're basically playing the game of pissing everyone off for many years while betting that they'll maintain the popularity of their franchise... all in order to ease (in other words, change your mind) in the painful bullshit. Oh noes, it's happening again.

kamspy said:
I do understand why some people are upset, and it's a completely subjective thing.

I don't see what's subjective about removing features that an entire community relied upon. "Some" people aren't just upset.

mrpeabody

Other than mouse & keyboard, dedicated servers are the reason to play pc fps.

- Community
- Mods
- Custom settings

"Keeping servers updated" is bullshit, piracy is bullshit. Valve games don't have those problems, and their dedicated servers work fine. This is about selling DLC.

mr stroke said:
I am curious what does Activision/IW get out of doing this? isn't this more work for them in the long run?

(can't they still sell DLC either way?)

You can say t is now literal port of 360 version except hardware support. They don't have to spend any resources on developing network component. Plus, they get full control.

Way it is setup for PC, it seems if it wasn't for easy porting of 360 version to PC with total control as added bonus, IW would have scrapped PC version altogether.

J-Rzez said:
Just so one of those don't get put under the same roof as Activision... Oh wait. And it's not hard to point out the fact that WoW has been on a downhill spiral now since around the time of the merger. It's only a matter of time until we see some kind of reports on SC2 and D3 and have a "WTF" moment with them as well.

merger? Serious question...I've been out of the WoW loop for several months.

fake edit: oh you mean Actiblizzard.

kamspy

Valru said:
as rydog would say

WHAT THE HELL?

Robert Bowling classy? lulz that guy is a db, and iw has never supported their pc competitive community 100%.

Valve is classy, IW NAH.

Valve outclass IW by a mile. Doesn't mean IW isn't a classy group. Sure Bowling's double-speak in that interview is horrible. But, it's the guys job. All PR guys use double-speak. Find me a game with a perceived shortcoming that a PR guy won't try to spin. From any dev. Further, "fourzerotwo" interacts with the gaming community as much if not more than any other PR guy I can think of.

I thought IW did a lot for COD and COD2 for the PC community. From my experience the COD4 PC online is fine. Aside from more map packs, what more would you want from their past PC offerings

Again, I'm not defending $60 tag or no servers, just the IW track record.

Mr. Snrub said:
I don't see what's subjective about removing features that an entire community relied upon. "Some" people aren't just upset.

Is it entirely impossible for their new netcode to be robust and well engineered? Sure with P2P the odds are crazy, but for me it's not a game breaker until it actually breaks the game for me. I only have a few networking certs and know nothing about game engineering, but is it possible for an incredibly optimized P2P model deliver an enjoyable online experience and satisfy the community?

Online gaming is gravitating heavily toward P2P, eventually some one is going to make that game that brings P2P out of the doghouse. Why not IW with MW2?

Sure I'm preppy some crow with these posts and I hope I don't have to eat it. But hey, GAF needs the optimism. :)

Mikey Jr.

The thing is, they want to squeeze every last fucking cent from you. They wanna squeeze you till you're dry.

And they set this system up so they can keep squeezing you on their next game, and the game after that, and so on.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
11t8j6p.gif

Teknopathetic said:
Absolutely comical. There's nothing Activision/IW can say to justify this. MW was pretty meh, MW2's not even worth looking at now.
MW was pretty meh? lol :lol How many copies did that game sell again?

MMaRsu said:
Hey you don't have a good pc, and you have a 360. You want to play fucking Borderlands with other people besides your lonely self. What is a man to do?

-edit-

You know what I will buy this game used. As fast as I can and I don't care if the price is almost as high as new, I want this game. But I will buy it used. Fuck IW for this fucking shitty as service.

And yes maybe it is hypocritical but whatever. I want to buy the game but I don't want to give money to the people who made it. Fuck Bobby Cocktic.
we seen this on amazon a few times, lol. everyone buys used, thus gamestop prices $64.99 used, $59.99 new! what would you do? give gamespot or IW your moniess??? who do you stick it too!!! what if 57.99 used or 59.99 new, used you know it has some scratches and who knows where the instruction manuel has been? (potty room), do you still stick it to them?

I personally couldn't care about any hurting anyone, if the game is 10-15 bucks cheaper I'll buy used, if its 5 bucks maybe, depends on the condition.

IF IW/Activision was smart, and wanted to make their DLC money without pissing off their customers they would:

* Give dedicated servers and browser lists as advanced options for the PC version.
* Give out multiplayer map packs for FREE, to keep the game fresh.*
* Charge ONLY for extra co-op scenarios or additional campaign content.

No split community, the game stays fresh with periodic updates, devs still get paid via optional DLC charges.

* They could even go the route that Gears 2 took with their Gears 2 maps. ONLY downloadable via retail game code. You don't HAVE to fuck over your customers to make a buck.

kamspy said:
I thought IW did a lot for COD and COD2 for the PC community. From my experience the COD4 PC online is fine. Aside from more map packs, what more would you want from their past PC offerings

Again, I'm not defending $60 tag or no servers, just the IW track record.

No one is saying that IW won't/hasn't put out a quality product.

Is there really ANY reason why dedicated servers should be removed? Did they not work well in COD4? Or in any other games? Are dedicated servers "broken"?

No!

It makes absolutely no sense until you consider their other motives. They say it will "help" the community, but it takes away creativity and control.

kamspy

Mr. Snrub said:
No one is saying that IW won't/hasn't put out a quality product.

Is there really ANY reason why dedicated servers should be removed? Did they not work well in COD4? Or in any other games? Are dedicated servers "broken"?

No!

It makes absolutely no sense until you consider their other motives. They say it will "help" the community, but it takes away creativity and control.

Check my edit.

Basically saying that all online gaming is gravitating toward P2P, so naturally some dev has to make that breakout game that really wrangles in the inherent P2P problems. Why not IW with MW2?

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Mr.Potato Head said:
MW was pretty meh? lol :lol How many copies did that game sell again?
You can never sell enough copies to make a mediocre game good. :p

gillty

Banned
kamspy said:
Basically saying that all online gaming is gravitating toward P2P, so naturally some dev has to make that breakout game that really wrangles in the inherent P2P problems. Why not IW with MW2?
1)online gaming moving towards p2p? maybe on the consoles but even then you have games like BF1943, Warhawk, Left4dead and pretty much every rainbow 6 game having dedicated servers. Show me good examples of online gaming moving towards p2p on the pc?

2)this is not about improving our online gaming, this is bout squeezing every last penny out of the community.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
kamspy said:
Check my edit.

do you always carry a tub of lube around incase someone tries to rape you?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
There's no reason they couldn't include support for private servers later right?
Alongside their matchmaking.

MMaRsu

Banned
Scottlarock said:
we seen this on amazon a few times, lol. everyone buys used, thus gamestop prices $64.99 used, $59.99 new! what would you do? give gamespot or IW your moniess??? who do you stick it too!!! what if 57.99 used or 59.99 new, used you know it has some scratches and who knows where the instruction manuel has been? (potty room), do you still stick it to them?

I personally couldn't care about any hurting anyone, if the game is 10-15 bucks cheaper I'll buy used, if its 5 bucks maybe, depends on the condition.

We don't have gamestop over here, just normal gaming stores. And I can always buy it from someone on a forum I frequent. Netherlands ;)

kamspy said:
Check my edit.

What are you talking about? This product they are putting out is shit, it doesn't matter for one second what they're "track record" is. Online gaming is not gravitating to P2P. Why are you trying to defend shitty practices so much?

Slavik81

Victrix said:
aren't you supposed to be boycotting them for l4d2, or is that over already?
I don't know about him, but when I saw that I could get Left4Dead 2 for $33, I recanted. $33 is expansion-pack price, which is far more reasonable than I'd expected.

Having 4-packs right from day zero has been awesome.

Hazaro said:
There's no reason they couldn't include support for private servers later right?
Alongside their matchmaking.

Bungie's reasoning iirc was that including support for finding matches outside of their matchmaking system would reduce the player count in their official playlists, thus reducing the size of the pool they could use to find a good match of skill and connectivity.

So its basically an all or nothing system. And the quality of your multiplayer experience is determined by how aligned your style of play is to whoever manages the playlists, and how much money you've shelled out on DLC.

kamspy

ghst said:
do you always carry a tub of lube around incase someone tries to rape you?

lol. IW can't rape the willing. But, if MW2 pans out the way the doomsday crowd is saying I may get some post traumatic shit from it.

Valru said:
1)online gaming moving towards p2p? maybe on the consoles but even then you have games like BF1943, Warhawk, Left4dead and pretty much every rainbow 6 game having dedicated servers. Show me good examples of online gaming moving towards p2p on the pc?

2)this is not about improving our online gaming, this is bout squeezing every last penny out of the community.

I guess I could list every console game you didn't, but that would be a big annoying post.

Does everyone in this thread really think P2P won't take over 90% of online gaming within 6-8 years? Aside from MMOs.

I'm not advocating it. Maybe I do just pre-lube myself so I'm not sad when it happens. :/

Dabanton

It will be interesting to see who actually follows through with their threats to not buy the game.As we all know us gamers are all posture and no follow through.

Guess we'll see in the lead up the game though, i expect to see loads of the names in this thread in the official thread on launch day...

gillty

Banned
kamspy said:
lol. IW can't rape the willing. But, if MW2 pans out the way the doomsday crowd is saying I may get some post traumatic shit from it.

I guess I could list every console game you didn't, but that would be a big annoying post.

Does everyone in this thread really think P2P won't take over 90% of online gaming within 6-8 years? Aside from MMOs.

I'm not advocating it. Maybe I do just pre-lube myself so I'm not sad when it happens. :/
I disagree about pc gaming moving towards P2P, and i dont think you understand...

Console gaming since it has become big (Xbox/PS2 days) has almost always been P2P, more and more I see big console titles moving towards dedicated servers BF1943, MAG, Warhawk, Left4Dead, Rainbow6, etc..

regardless fuck IW and fuck MW2

senahorse

Oh ffs, first don't add the ability to select games by region in the console versions (something the community had been asking for). Now take out dedicated servers from the PC version, I am going to find it very hard to buy this game now, a big fuck you to Activision as well.

kamspy

How many of the PC games to come out in the last year were basically console ports?

Even Wolfenstein bro. Wolfenstein.

I was simply going to pass on buying Modern Warfare 2 because with the first Modern Warfare and World at War it became apparent to me that Activision has no desire to foster any sort of multi-player community with long term support, they want to farm a game out every year. Infinity War, Treyarch, Infinity Ward, Treyarch and only *sell* enough multi-player content to string people along to the next game. It's not in their interest to foster a fanbase around one game, not when they've got a new one to sell every year. But to strip away a feature that's been a standard on the platform in every game in the genre for well over a decade goes beyond the pale.

I'm not buying the game, new or used, I'm just straight up not playing it. Fuck Activision, Infinity War and Call of Duty.

Safe Bet

Banned
MMaRsu said:
Hey you don't have a good pc, and you have a 360. You want to play fucking Borderlands with other people besides your lonely self. What is a man to do.
Don't get me wrong. I'm a gold member too.

My best friend only has a 360 and I like to play with him, but..

I damn sure don't defend the service.

Mileena

Banned
Valru said:
Valve is classy, they make many amazing games (key word GAMES, not a single game) and support all of their communities 100%.
I take it you never played CS (not Source) then. They ruined that game with their 1.6 bs.
1.5 >>>>> 1.6

MedHead said:
Not really. Not buying it is another option. I mean, if you simply can't avoid playing the game, I suppose buying used will make you feel better; but if your purpose is to send a message to the fat cats at Activision, I don't think it'll do much for your cause. I guess it's fun to join in the fray, but proclaiming "I won't buy it... new" seems silly to me.

Technically, buying it used gives no more profit to the publisher than not buying it all does. So they could claim its a "boycott."

But I do agree that the spirit of a boycott is to avoid the projects altogether. If you can't avoid buying and playing Activision Blizzard games, you aren't really boycotting them.

Personally I don't claim to boycott them, I'll buy the Activision Blizzard games that I want, and I'll buy them new because I always buy new and I want to support the developers. But I agree that people shouldn't claim to boycott when they're still playing the products.

Top Bottom