• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hubris and Bullshit: Modern Warfare 2 PC will not allow dedicated servers.

VibratingDonkey said:
How would you even test your mod? Betting this would be something a little more simple than what the term "mod tools" typically entails. Maybe skins or something.

Probably something like Halo 3's forge, where you take preexisting maps and just modify it.

Linkzg said:
Has there been a patch or proper way (as in, you can play online with it) to fix the FOV yet?

I don't think so and I don't think they'll ever release a patch to allow you to have any other FOV than the default.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Anyone up for a facepalm?

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2009/12/modern-warfare-2-pc-sales/

The boxed PC version of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 sold around 170,000 units in November, according to Gamasutra’s NPD analysis.

Compared to the 6 million units the game shifted on consoles in one month, that’s a rounding error. Want to know why all those boycotts over feature cuts don’t work? Because nobody bought Modern Warfare 2 on PC.

As I’ve written before, PC gamers only account for a small fraction of Modern Warfare 2 users. It’s just not worth the time, effort and expense for companies like Activision to please such a small fraction of the audience.

(Yes, the NPD only counts sales of boxed product, and many PC gamers do like to download their games. Without the release of download sales numbers, it’s impossible to get a perfect figure.)

So the bad news is that PC gamers can expect their demands to elicit little more than barely-stifled yawns from the people who make mega-hit multiplatform titles: There are just not enough of you to merit special treatment.

Here’s the silver lining, though: 170,000 is still a lot of people. And for every big publisher that turns its back on the community, there are ten companies willing to bend over backwards to make the hard-core happy.

If PC gamers know what’s good for them, they’ll start rewarding these companies for their efforts.

From Gus Mastrapa who seems to have taken over the large bulk of Wired's Game|Life posts with Chris seemingly covering only Nintendo.

So, basically... another dude who thinks PC gamers don't matter and because the game's retail sold so few, Activision shouldn't care. We're lucky we get anything at all. Fall in line. Of course, he says all this without knowing the real numbers and making his article rather pointless and just plain inflammatory.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Kintaro said:
Anyone up for a facepalm?

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2009/12/modern-warfare-2-pc-sales/

From Gus Mastrapa who seems to have taken over the large bulk of Wired's Game|Life posts with Chris seemingly covering only Nintendo.

So, basically... another dude who thinks PC gamers don't matter and because the game's retail sold so few, Activision shouldn't care. We're lucky we get anything at all. Fall in line. Of course, he says all this without knowing the real numbers and making his article rather pointless and just plain inflammatory.
This article doesn't make any sense - it costs less to allow dedicated servers rather than having to maintain your own matchmaking servers - and the only logical reason to not include them is to make money on DLC - which would only make sense if PC gamers were a significant enough audience.

Want to know why all those boycotts over feature cuts don’t work? Because nobody bought Modern Warfare 2 on PC.

But...

What...

szu1e1.jpg

Mrbob

His article doesn't make sense.

Couldn't you argue that since the game sold only a fraction on pc than consoles that the boycott did work?

Anyway, beyond this I really dont see a reason to make counter points to the stupidity running through 'gaming journalism' when it comes to pc gaming. If it doesn't include gamerpoints, nine times out of ten they won't have a clue what is going on.

NIN90

I don't know why this stuff is called "special treatment" .
I'm no dev, but is it really that hard to implement a server browser? :lol
That shit was basically a nobrainer since Quake. There was a server browser in vCoD, CoD:UO, CoD2 and CoD4 but now it's all of a sudden a "special treatment".
They just wanted a quick cash-in with this on PC. I mean, they didn't even bother with implementing leaning? :lol

They're using the same fucking engine since vCoD, ffs.

Want to know why all those boycotts over feature cuts don’t work? Because nobody bought Modern Warfare 2 on PC.

Someone print up this quote, cut out all the words, and see if you can rearrange them ransom-note-style into something that makes a goddamned lick of sense.

MoFuzz

I think the point that Mr. Douche in the Wired article is trying to make is that boycotting the game will not help PC gamers in the long run. His argument is that, we should be buying the game and demanding the support we deserve as paying customers. Only then will Activision listen to us...Or so he says.

Didn't Garnett Lee say the same thing in an Ars Technica article a few weeks ago? Not to say that I agree with this stance. I'm still keeping my $60 for now.

Yeah, the two choices are:

Buy game, IW counts money and doesn't care.

Do not buy game, IW doesn't care

So yeah. You can't make em put in dedicated servers, but you can spend your money somewhere else.

Flynn

Actually I was saying there's not enough of you for boycotts to make a difference and that instead you should buy games from game makers who actually give a fuck about PC gamers.

I wondered, BTW, where are the commenters were coming from that had only read one sentence of my post. Mystery solved.

DeadGzuz

Banned
Eel O'Brian said:
Someone print up this quote, cut out all the words, and see if you can rearrange them ransom-note-style into something that makes a goddamned lick of sense.

I think he is saying that x% of some small number is too small to care about.

Top Bottom