• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hubris and Bullshit: Modern Warfare 2 PC will not allow dedicated servers.

Enosh

Archie said:
Does anyone know how CoD4 PC sold? I keep seeing between 1 million and 2 million tossed around. We know that MW2PC did around 53,000 in the first week in the UK. Even assuming CoD4PC only did a million, I still don't see it being plausible that MW2 beat that within a week.
he is comparing week one MW sales with the week one MW2 sales, not total MW sales vs week one MW2 sales...

Zzoram said:
They can check where you are activating from, and where the serial key was supposed to be sold.

Valve, along with tons of other companies, sell their product cheaper in countries like China and Russia where piracy is rampant and there is less disposable income. This allows them to make some legitimate sales and money where they would otherwise face 100% piracy. It also gets people from these regions used to buying legitimate merchandise for the future when their populations get wealthier. Those cheap serial keys are not meant for Western 1st world countries.

In China, many movie studios sell legit DVDs for $2. They are meant to compete with illegally burned movies being sold for $1.

Well, the most popular "keys" site, G2Play, sells Polish keys, and Poland is part of the European common market so I'm not seeing the issue here. No one bats an eyelid when the majority of Euro GAF imports all their games from the UK, and nor should they, so I'm sure as shit not going to feel the slightest bit of remorse if I buy from another EU state just like they do.

Youl be happy to know, AvP WILL use Dedicated Servers -

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=227840?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS

When we quizzed Aliens vs. Predator developer, Rebellion about its third-party dedicated server support last month, it was more than a little cagey with the answer. In fact, we had to ask three times.

Now, finally, the developer's contacted CVG to give us a definite answer to the question: AvP WILL support dedicated servers on PC. Hallelujah.

Rebellion CEO Jason Kingsley said in a statement: "Despite rumours, Rebellion has always been planning to support dedicated servers for AvP PC and we can now officially confirm that this is the case. Rebellion has always appreciated fan support. We're really looking forward to the release of AvP as much as you guys are!"

It's nice to see the developer holding on to its PC heritage. Now, if only Modern Warfare 2 could do the same...

epmode

brain_stew said:
No one bats an eyelid when the majority of Euro GAF imports all their games from the UK, and nor should they
Agreed, but only because that's a legitimate reason (ie. it's not available in their territory).

epmode said:
Agreed, but only because that's a legitimate reason (ie. it's not available in their territory).

Um, that's not why the majority import from UK. The fact that prices are as much as 50% lower has more than a little to do with it.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Enosh said:
he is comparing week one MW sales with the week one MW2 sales, not total MW sales vs week one MW2 sales...
Ok that makes much more sense. I was trying to wrap my head around MW2 PC beating CoD4's total in a week and couldn't find any reasonable explanation.

Ogs said:
Great news. The game looks promising and P2P would have been incredibly disappointing. I think any company that touts a feature that has been standard for over a decade will now get some uptick in sales because of it. IW is helping out other companies. :lol

Javaman

Zzoram said:
They can check where you are activating from, and where the serial key was supposed to be sold.

Valve, along with tons of other companies, sell their product cheaper in countries like China and Russia where piracy is rampant and there is less disposable income. This allows them to make some legitimate sales and money where they would otherwise face 100% piracy. It also gets people from these regions used to buying legitimate merchandise for the future when their populations get wealthier. Those cheap serial keys are not meant for Western 1st world countries.

In China, many movie studios sell legit DVDs for $2. They are meant to compete with illegally burned movies being sold for $1.

Man, those key resellers must be making a fortune off of these. So they buy the keys for a dollar or two and sell them for $30 or $40?

Enosh

Archie said:
I think any company that touts a feature that has been standard for over a decade will now get some uptick in sales because of it. IW is helping out other companies. :lol
that remains to be seen

Draft

:bow Rebellion

:piss Infinity Ward

P2P is the worst shit ever. MW2 is fun as balls but its dependence on unreliable, weak net code is a devestating black mark. The poor performance of P2P taints every aspect of MW2 online, from the initial game search to the final latent shot. A total travesty.

This is regards to the Xbox version, BTW. Forget PC versus console, this is bigger than that.

It's terrible technology. We should expect better.

VaLiancY

Draft said:

P2P is the worst shit ever. MW2 is fun as balls but its dependence on unreliable, weak net code is a devestating black mark. The poor performance of P2P taints every aspect of MW2 online, from the initial game search to the final latent shot. A total travesty.

This is regards to the Xbox version, BTW. Forget PC versus console, this is bigger than that.

This.

I've played it with friends and found the game enjoyable in spite of its downfalls that I have with the game. The game drops a person from your party, you have to back out and get that person and pray to God, throw salt over your shoulder while holding your lucky rabbit's foot that it doesn't happen again. At least take up after SOCOM's server infrastructure.

RedSwirl

Any chance that enough people who bought MW2 PC will complain to Infinity Ward?

According to their PR, feedback from these "casual PC gamers" is what made them decide to do this in the first place. Is it not plausible that further feedback could cause them to re-insert dedicated servers?

shuri

Banned
Draft said:

I'm level 24 right now, and i think i've encountered 1 laggy game so far. 360 version

Curufinwe

RedSwirl said:
According to their PR, feedback from these "casual PC gamers" is what made them decide to do this in the first place. Is it not plausible that further feedback could cause them to re-insert dedicated servers?

It would be plausible if feedback from casual PC gamers is what made them drop DS, but that line is a total crock of shit.

shuri said:
I'm level 24 right now, and i think i've encountered 1 laggy game so far. 360 version

This is a joke right?
I like MW2 on 360 but its a mess. Just because your character doesn't move like its laggy, it more then likely still is.

demolitio

YuriLowell said:
This is a joke right?
I like MW2 on 360 but its a mess. Just because your character doesn't move like its laggy, it more then likely still is.
The kill cams help show some of the lag at times. When I have 3 bars, I know I'm in for a bad game since you have to shoot a guy 5 more times. :lol

Even MW1 lagged on consoles with it's P2P connection. The thing is most people die so fast that they will hardly notice if several bullets didn't register.

shuri

Banned
Then again I'm on a 50mbit connection, and I pings on pc fps that are around 5 or 10 most of the time.

Your mileage may vary

mbmonk

shuri said:
Then again I'm on a 50mbit connection, and I pings on pc fps that are around 5 or 10 most of the time.

Your mileage may vary

That is good news. I thought you got low pings because you had some insane bad ass connection. Glad I was wrong.

Mrbob

Sales numbers can be twisted though. Is he talking units sold or total revenue? MW2 is selling for at least 10 dollar more a pop than MW1 so it is possible it sold less units and made more money.

Also, MW1 did have more of a continual build up in sales. MW2 was going to have a massive first week regardless since it is riding the success of the first game. I really don't think first week numbers prove much. Long term is the bigger issue.

RedSwirl

You know what I realized is awesome about the console versions of the MW games? They still have four-player split-screen.

RedSwirl said:
You know what I realized is awesome about the console versions of the MW games? They still have four-player split-screen.
no ranks and perks and upgrades and all that shiet though right? Just plain ol unmodified weapons and stock presets last time I checked.

They updated the game again, and this time theres no fps control at all?unbelievable the game now runs at 91fps supposedely but it looks like its running much slower....

Rayme

out0v0rder said:
no ranks and perks and upgrades and all that shiet though right? Just plain ol unmodified weapons and stock presets last time I checked.
Splitscreen has ranks/unlocks/leveling/etc. You can even load & use your XBL/PSN online profile (it just won't level up), if you want.

You're thinking of CoD4; in CoD4's splitscreen, there were just 10 pre-built classes, and that could get old real fast.

Leminnes

Banned
Enoch said:

71k6Y.jpg

kitch9

Banned
Sooooo, I thought I'd try my level 4 ass on the PC again last night. I should get to play against some guys at my level right? I've got a choice of a massive 3 fucking guns and fuck all else, everybody else will be the same right? The matchmaking shit IW have shoved down our throats will make shit fair right?

Noooooooo, what the fuck is this shit I got last night!?!?

First attempt at team deathmatch, I was but on a server where the lowest guy was level 50, second attempt the lowest guy was 55.

My last attempt put me up against a party of level 70 sons of bitches all with the tag GS next to their name.

I'm running around with my little pea shooter and my knob hanging out, whilst those twats have akimbo shotguns that somehow have the ability to snipe me half the way across the map.......Don't get me started on the constant harriers, pave lows and fucking nukes that I CAN'T FUCKING USE.

The exclusive text chat that the PC version has treated me to 10 mins of "LOL....Owned.", "Noob cannon fodder LOL." and "Love it when the matchmaking gives me noobs to kill."

Its even harder than COD4 to get into on-line. At least I could pick a server that had noobs only in the server name, but this shit is fucked up.

Fuck you IW.

DarkJC

kitch9 said:
Sooooo, I thought I'd try my level 4 ass on the PC again last night. I should get to play against some guys at my level right? I've got a choice of a massive 3 fucking guns and fuck all else, everybody else will be the same right? The matchmaking shit IW have shoved down our throats will make shit fair right?

First attempt at team deathmatch, I was but on a server where the lowest guy was level 50, second attempt the lowest guy was 55.

My last attempt put me up against a party of level 70 sons of bitches all with the tag GS next to their name.

I'm running around with my little pea shooter and my knob hanging out, whilst those twats have akimbo shotguns that somehow have the ability to snipe me half the way across the map.......Don't get me started on the constant harriers, pave lows and fucking nukes that I CAN'T FUCKING USE.

The exclusive text chat that the PC version has treated me to 10 mins of "LOL....Owned.", "Noob cannon fodder LOL." and "Love it when the matchmaking gives me noobs to kill."

Its even harder than COD4 to get into on-line. At least I could pick a server that had noobs only in the server name, but this shit is fucked up.

Fuck you IW.

So

A) play mercenary team deathmatch if you want to play TD without going up against parties/clans

B) pretty sure you have access to care package from the start, which gives you access to all those pave lows/chopper gunners/predator missles/ac130s everyone else is using, and they're not that rare either

C) furthermore, just equip a rocket launcher of some kind to shoot the enemy ones out of the sky

D) while you might like to think that you're getting your ass handed to you because of your gun selection, you really just need to practice more. you can perform very well with just the starting guns and perks, especially once you've used them a bit and unlocked some attachments

E) yes the akimbo shotguns everyone loves are really overpowered and they need a patch (imo)

F) Don't go into fits of rage when shot by someone with akimbo shotguns going "LOL", keep a cool head and just focus on getting kills and getting better, you'll have a great time once things click

Shawsie64

Banned
kitch9 said:

Fuck you IW.

To be fair if you joined a dedicated server youd still get your arse handed to you ;)

Im level 40 and still using starting weapons. They work great

kitch9

Banned
DarkJC said:
So

A) play mercenary team deathmatch if you want to play TD without going up against parties/clans

B) pretty sure you have access to care package from the start, which gives you access to all those pave lows/chopper gunners/predator missles/ac130s everyone else is using, and they're not that rare either

C) furthermore, just equip a rocket launcher of some kind to shoot the enemy ones out of the sky

D) while you might like to think that you're getting your ass handed to you because of your gun selection, you really just need to practice more. you can perform very well with just the starting guns and perks, especially once you've used them a bit and unlocked some attachments

E) yes the akimbo shotguns everyone loves are really overpowered and they need a patch (imo)

F) Don't go into fits of rage when shot by someone with akimbo shotguns going "LOL", keep a cool head and just focus on getting kills and getting better, you'll have a great time once things click

When I played COD4 I started of on a couple of servers that weren't quite as hardcore and I didn't seem to struggle as much.

I appreciate what you are saying, I should be better, but if I'm level 4 why can't I go up against other similar levelled dudes who are just starting out and finding their feet? Those shotgun guys with hours and hours under their belts drop you in one from miles away and it ain't fun. Still, I went 8/14 last night with those guys.

What do I do with the care package? I suppose I should sit and study, but I thought I'd have quick game and ended up tearing my hair out.

Another ars technica article that is not so subtly about what happened here.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...an-be-heard-hint-not-by-threats-of-piracy.ars

Ars Technica said:
PC gamers make a lot of noise online, but the amount of concrete action pales in comparison. By spending less time organizing public boycotts and more time simply buying good games, by choosing not to fly the Jolly Roger and changing the discussion to things publishers can do to earn your money, by organizing in a real way and criticizing productively, you can make things better for PC gaming.
Personally I don't agree with some points here, more specifically how they are made. People already buy good games, or at least games that they think are good. People who pirate do so because they either can't pay or will never pay, yes they are part of the group of people that play PC games. That doesn't mean that everyone who prefers to play on PC behaves like that.

Also I do not believe that it is up to the player to provide a cost benefit analysis to some publisher. Simply because it is just a bad idea in every way possible.

Probably worth posting in here, Bad Company 2 will support DX10, DX11 and 3D vision on the PC, player count is also increased to 32 along with the excellent and comprehensive dedicated server support.

Beta's been delayed to the new year but it'll be much larger, really seems like DICE are going all out with the PC version and trying to capture all those disenfranchised with MW2's downgrades. Good to see:

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2009/11/27/dice-delays-bad-company-2-pc-beta/1

Darklord

Banned
brain_stew said:
Probably worth posting in here, Bad Company 2 will support DX10, DX11 and 3D vision on the PC, player count is also increased to 32 along with the excellent and comprehensive dedicated server support.

Beta's been delayed to the new year but it'll be much larger, really seems like DICE are going all out with the PC version and trying to capture all those disenfranchised with MW2's downgrades. Good to see:

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2009/11/27/dice-delays-bad-company-2-pc-beta/1

Will buy.

MoFuzz

Have they commented on the FOV? The first Bad Company had horrendously narrow cone of vision. At least if they have a command console to tweak that, it'd be great.

What's funny is that I seem to remember the Bad Company spinoff being created for consoles, and now they are bringing the sequel of a consolized PC spinoff back to the PC.

Lostconfused said:
Another ars technica article that is not so subtly about what happened here.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...an-be-heard-hint-not-by-threats-of-piracy.ars

Personally I don't agree with some points here, more specifically how they are made. People already buy good games, or at least games that they think are good. People who pirate do so because they either can't pay or will never pay, yes they are part of the group of people that play PC games. That doesn't mean that everyone who prefers to play on PC behaves like that.

Also I do not believe that it is up to the player to provide a cost benefit analysis to some publisher. Simply because it is just a bad idea in every way possible.

Quoting Tycho on this issue is a bad move considering the initial reaction to his comments. Also, this article could have all of the PC references stripped, be titled "How gamers can be heard" and still be pretty much the same. It's essentially the same point PA themselves were making with the classic Fanboy Forums comic.

Twig

Banned
jim-jam bongs said:
Quoting Tycho on this issue is a bad move considering the initial reaction to his comments.
Well, any reasonable human being realizes that Tycho was right anyway, and any unreasonable human being isn't going to listen to this kind of article, regardless of what kind of quotes are contained therein.

TheOneGuy said:
Well, any reasonable human being realizes that Tycho was right anyway, and any unreasonable human being isn't going to listen to this kind of article, regardless of what kind of quotes are contained therein.

His initial comments were filled with needlessly incendiary language, and looked like an attempt to dismiss the entire issue using an obvious strawman; i.e. complainers are just self-immolating crazies with a tenuous grip on reality. I liked this part the best:

PA said:
It is not a mischaracterization to say that conversations with the hardcore PC community about software theft follow these tenets:

- There is no piracy.
- To the extent that piracy exists, which it doesn't, it's your fault.
- If you try to protect your game, we'll steal it as a matter of principle.

As a card-carrying member of the hardcore PC community - shit my card is OC'd - I find that statement quite disingenuous. The PC community on GAF is a great example of a rather large group to whom that statement does not apply, in my experience. As for the rest of the post, if there had been any real acknowledgement that the removal of dedicated servers was a legitimate complaint, then that would be different.

At any rate the point is that none of this is particularly new. Shit happens, the internet aspies all go mad and drown out the voices of the reasonable people. I'm just disappointed that PA of all people decided to fixate on the crazies rather than sparking a rational discussion on the topic, as it's interesting to consider within the context of the changes that this console-generation have brought to gaming as a whole.

Twig

Banned
jim-jam bongs said:
His initial comments were filled with needlessly incendiary language, and looked like an attempt to dismiss the entire issue using an obvious strawman; i.e. complainers are just self-immolating crazies with a tenuous grip on reality.
It's also goddamn Penny Arcade.

Consider the context. Reasonable human beings will.

I, too, am primarily a PC gamer, and I have absolutely no problem with anything he said. Perhaps people are too fucking sensitive. Also that particular quote is incredibly true a not-insignificant amount of the time. Just because you or I don't act like that doesn't mean it magically is not a truth.

vilmer_

brain_stew said:

Excellent.

TheOneGuy said:
It's also goddamn Penny Arcade.

Consider the context. Reasonable human beings will.

I, too, am primarily a PC gamer, and I have absolutely no problem with anything he said. Perhaps people are too fucking sensitive.

:lol

Indeed, your post makes me think they might well be.

Top Bottom