• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hubris and Bullshit: Modern Warfare 2 PC will not allow dedicated servers.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Masta_Killah said:
:lol

Anyway, what's the normal threshold for people when it comes to pings? I'm usually ok with pings up to 200. Every game I've played(tf2, ET:QW,CoD,L4D,BF2) have always been around the 100-200 range. Very rarely do I get a server in the <100 range. Only time I am able to get <100 servers is with CS. Guess that's the reason why I don't get the uproar with pings over 100. I'm usually in the top 5-10 for the team too.
I'm fairly casual with first person shooters and won't really notice anything until it goes over 100. At about 150 things start getting ugly for me.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Masta_Killah said:

Anyway, what's the normal threshold for people when it comes to pings? I'm usually ok with pings up to 200. Every game I've played(tf2, ET:QW,CoD,L4D,BF2) have always been around the 100-200 range. Very rarely do I get a server in the <100 range. Only time I am able to get <100 servers is with CS. Guess that's the reason why I don't get the uproar with pings over 100. I'm usually in the top 5-10 for the team too.

I never stay in a server where my ping is over 100.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Masta_Killah said:

200 is my limit. I prefer <100, but as long as my ping is consistent for all servers I play on I don't mind. Switching between 60 ping servers and 200 ping servers is annoying.

markot

Banned
_tetsuo_ said:
I never stay in a server where my ping is over 100.
To me its courtesy to the other players, you dont want to eff things up for em, so if I do have a high ping, I dc and find one where I dont, or check whats wrong with mah internets!

Cheeto

Masta_Killah said:

You should probably look for west coast servers...there's no shortage of them.

edit... Or maybe you're on DSL

Zeliard

Archie said:
Apparently you can mod the game to display actual pings now

k039zl.jpg

Does anyone want to guess who is hosting? :p

My god, what are those? Numbers?

Sorry, but this is far too confusing to read and understand. I require highly inexact colored bars to show me my latency. It's like a terror alert - I know that if it's green it's a-okay, and if it's red then maybe things are getting a little scary.

Masta_Killah said:

You're okay with pings up to 200? We were getting 200 pings with dial-up last decade.

With today's connection speeds, nobody should be happy playing on a server in their general vicinity where they're pinging any more than 100, and even that is something I'd consider very high. I ping like that playing in Europe or the west coast.

FLEABttn

Banned
I used to filter anything higher than 50 on Valve games when I lived in CA, but when I moved to NM, I had to change that to 100. Anything higher than 100 is filtered out and unacceptable.

kamspy

Someone mentioned Bungie on the last page, and while we're on the topic of Hubris and Bullshit in the MP realm, what the fuck happened with Firefight on ODST? Where was the Hubris and Bullshit thread about that? I heard about 'no matchmaking' and thought it meant it just randomly matched you with players, never fathoming the main online mode for a full retail game would really be invite only. Completely broke the game for me. Did I miss the vocal outrage for this? I read a few posts, but considering how pissed I was I'm surprised it didn't get the exposure this is getting. IMHO, it's a worse offense.

Anyhow, my dad is 59 years old and really loves shooting non-Americans and aliens/monsters on his computer. Been playing MOH and COD for as long as they've been around. Ironically this is the only version he's been able to play MP. Yes he's a dumbass if it relates to anything electronic, and I don't think that's the demographic IW was going for.

I did run a few matches when I was over there. Had some serious lag from the get go. Not crazy lag, but like a shitty XBL connection. Not what I want out of a PC game. Plus, the one benefit I thought we might get out of the situation was less cheaters. Since COD has that level-up system with the upgrades and all it can really make grinding feel worthless when everyone else is just editing a file. I came across two supposed level 70 10th prestige guys while I was on. Out scored them both times. lol What a bunch of crap.

They didn't edit local PC files, but what they did do was play on hacked servers that gave shitloads of XP per kill which were still counted as "authentic" by IW.NET and, thus, allowed to count towards their advancement.

Masta_Killah said:

What kind of connection/where are you guys from? Mine is 30 on average when I play online. 200 is ridiculous. I think it's interesting too that people so strongly defending IW are playing in 200 ping servers on purpose with a server list.

Davidion

I'm pretty casual and my tolerance is at max 120-150, and even that's only with L4D where high ping is an unfortunate fact of life. At that point there will almost always be slowdown and lag spikes. Beyond that are conditions leaving and going somewhere else.

With my other online FP shooters, 50-70 is the usual cap.

Won

Masta_Killah said:

Played a lot of TF2 on US servers with Gaffers as european player. My experience is above 100 you don't really play anymore, the game plays for you. I mean sniping around corners is fun, but it is not really fair. And the things I stabbed with the Spy, maaaaaan, that was just plain out cheating. :lol

butts

Jesus christ, how can you play at a 200 ping? That is like sending updates in the mail.

<60 is good to me; 60-80 can mean the difference of a few kills easily in a game like CS; anything over 80 is really noticeable the entire time and will have a pretty big effect on your game.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
120 ping is about the limit - if everyone else has a ping of 100-140. Having a ping of 120 when some other people have 50 and below is putting you at a technical disadvantage. Plus if you are on a decent connection but have pings that bad, then you may well start seeing packet loss, which will screw up your game regardless of your ping.

BigNastyCurve said:
Why withhold them?

Not sure, i think its like how on Halo 3 they chop and change playlists depending on what people want. They might be holding these back for a bit.

Could also just be gamemodes they were developing but ended up being cut because they sucked or something.

Remains to be seen tbh, im not gonna get all hot and bothered about it like on the Steam forums.....

firehawk12

Subete no aware
kamspy said:
Someone mentioned Bungie on the last page, and while we're on the topic of Hubris and Bullshit in the MP realm, what the fuck happened with Firefight on ODST? Where was the Hubris and Bullshit thread about that? I heard about 'no matchmaking' and thought it meant it just randomly matched you with players, never fathoming the main online mode for a full retail game would really be invite only. Completely broke the game for me. Did I miss the vocal outrage for this? I read a few posts, but considering how pissed I was I'm surprised it didn't get the exposure this is getting. IMHO, it's a worse offense.

Yeah, there was a thread. I remember bitching it in quite a bit. :lol
There's also no matchmaking for Spec Ops as well, which is idiotic.

poppabk

firehawk12 said:
Because matchmaking is fundamentally flawed when it comes to small user bases and/or fragmented user bases. Halo 3 is the flagship, it gets all the users to maximize the smoothness of its multiplayer and to keep it close to the top of the MP charts.

ksan

poppabk said:
120 ping is about the limit - if everyone else has a ping of 100-140. Having a ping of 120 when some other people have 50 and below is putting you at a technical disadvantage. Plus if you are on a decent connection but have pings that bad, then you may well start seeing packet loss, which will screw up your game regardless of your ping.

Wait, what? You are always at a techincal disadvantage if you're ping is >0 higher than someone else. :lol
Unless you meant practical of course, but I'd go as far as saying around a 5 ping difference matters then.
Or maybe that would be more dependant of your ping, it makes a difference when you have a low ping but when you have a ping around 100 it would probably be closer to +/-15 or 20.

Masta_Killah said:

Anyway, what's the normal threshold for people when it comes to pings? I'm usually ok with pings up to 200. Every game I've played(tf2, ET:QW,CoD,L4D,BF2) have always been around the 100-200 range..

200...:lol That's 56k connection shit right there.

You may as well be sending your data packets via carrier pidgeon.

CTLance

Hmmm. IIRC in Q3A/UT I always tried to get ping to below 40. My early CS days saw me playing at around 120(?) on dialup, but that was detrimental to my experience, to put it diplomatically.

11rbsk4.jpg

Mmmmmh. Delicious dedicated servers.
(To prevent a possible derail: It's past 1 a.m. here in Germany, so the local servers only house a handful of stragglers)

I <3 Memes said:
kodt you should probably edit that post. You mention legit copies but I think your post is probably over the limit for whats acceptable and I wouldnt want to see you get banned.

Also I don't own the game and definitely wont buy it, I was asking more as a curiosity.

Activision and Uber capitalism defenders can get pissy all they want about people not buying the game. Call it a boycott or whatever you want to call it. But I don't do business with any company that i don't think should get my money, and I stick to that. For me that means even 5 years later no Madden even though I love football. And I will not buy Madden until they no longer have sole ownership of the NFL license. I hate Best Buy's business practices so i don't shop there. I'm disgusted by Scientology so I don't watch movies with actors in lead roles that are Scientologists.

For Activision that means no Activision games at all no matter who makes the game. Nothing from IW and nothing from Blizzard. I don't "need" COD6. There are plenty of other games out there. Nobody "needs" this game, so it's hard for me to understand why anyone who said they weren't going to buy it did buy it.

I love gaming but in the end I don't have to play any game no matter how popular. It's kind of hard for me to understand how anyone can feel that they have to play any game. Even if it is a great game your life will not be different in any tangible way if you pass over one great game on principle and play another instead.

but i need diablo 3 and starcraft 2 :( but im with you on the other stuff, i got 10 other games that i havent finished (LOL) and frankly MW2 is too short in the end to justify paying for it.

kamspy

firehawk12 said:

But I knew that about Spec-ops. It was common knowledge. I mean, I keep up with gaming I'd like to think. I'm the mod for the gaming sub-forum of a very large A/V forum. I read this shit every day. Swear to god I had no idea until I tried to load up on day one.

Maybe it was the 'matchmaking' term. Being a PC gamer before I was a console gamer and hearing talk about Halo's awesome matchmaking and Gear's shitty matchmaking, I thought the term was only about pairing good players with tolerable ping. I thought surely any online mode could match you with the first available warm body. Guess not. And fuck Bungie for not making that glaringly clear. If I missed it, I can only imagine how many J6Ps missed it.

I had NO IDEA no matchmaking meant basically no fucking online play. Sure I had a handful of friends to play with. I got on the GAF firefight list. But there are times I want to load the game up and get straight into a full 4 player ff. After 6 weeks, the people on the GAF list were mostly gone and I was robbed of 75% of my game. I bought the damn thing for ff. co-op is my preferred method.

poppabk

ksan said:
Wait, what? You are always at a techincal disadvantage if you're ping is >0 higher than someone else. :lol
Unless you meant practical of course, but I'd go as far as saying around a 5 ping difference matters then.
Or maybe that would be more dependant of your ping, it makes a difference when you have a low ping but when you have a ping around 100 it would probably be closer to +/-15 or 20.
What I mean is that you are at a significant disadvantage that is purely technical.
At 60fps a single frame is ~17 ms long, at 120fps its still 8ms, so unless you are playing on a super high end PC (or a low end game) in an ultra twitch shooter at the highest levels, you are going to need to be 20ms or so different to be at any measurable disadvantage.

TheExodu5

Banned
Omi said:
-openserverbrowser

Thank me later.

1 <3 you. Definitely going to try that when I get home tonight.

CTLance said:
Something about this exchange and the thread it's just taken place in just cracks me up. It just... fits.

Not sure what you mean, but it's not the dedicated servers I have an issue with in L4D2 (in fact, I think this is how matchmaking games should be done), I have an issue with matchmaking giving me shitty servers. =\

Puck

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Why are the dedicated servers in l4d so poor? It seems no matter what it's always much higher than any other game. Are the servers just of lesser quality?
It depends on the server host, they're mostly 3rd party servers (isps/gaming sites)

From my experience they aren't "poor", i get less than 50ms on all local (AU) servers.

ksan

poppabk said:
What I mean is that you are at a significant disadvantage that is purely technical.
At 60fps a single frame is ~17 ms long, at 120fps its still 8ms, so unless you are playing on a super high end PC (or a low end game) in an ultra twitch shooter at the highest levels, you are going to need to be 20ms or so different to be at any measurable disadvantage.

Except it doesn't really work that way in many fps games as the servers may have higher tick rates and they are usually running at 500 or 1000 fps.

Omikron

Puck said:
It depends on the server host, they're mostly 3rd party servers (isps/gaming sites)

From my experience they aren't "poor", i get less than 50ms on all local (AU) servers.

Same, even when I (or a mate) hosts, we tend to get 40-60 pings, which is pretty good. :)

Blizzard

Banned
I used to live in Texas and get like 1-10 ms ping while knifing in Enemy Territory: Return to Castle Wolfenstein. :'(

Now I have cable in Florida and I'm lucky if I get 40-100 ms in most games.

Top Bottom