• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hubris and Bullshit: Modern Warfare 2 PC will not allow dedicated servers.

procrastinator

Neo Member
TheExodu5 said:
1 <3 you. Definitely going to try that when I get home tonight.

Not sure what you mean, but it's not the dedicated servers I have an issue with in L4D2 (in fact, I think this is how matchmaking games should be done), I have an issue with matchmaking giving me shitty servers. =\

Was that team matchmaking? If it was its quite possible the other team were using a the force dedicated server command to force it on to a local/their own server.

Rayme

TouchMyBox said:
Horray! The game is already filled with dirty little aimbotting cheaters like this asshole http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197976475172

But surely infinity ward got rid of dedicated servers to deter this?
Actually no. I understand the confusion, but matchmaking isn't for anti-cheat; that's what VAC is meant to be for.

The cheaters are very (omg very) annoying in the short-term, but should get pretty destroyed in the long-term. If you're caught cracking & cheating, you lose your game entirely. That can get expensive!

Rayme said:
Actually no. I understand the confusion, but matchmaking isn't for anti-cheat; that's what VAC is meant to be for.

The cheaters are very (omg very) annoying in the short-term, but should get pretty destroyed in the long-term. If you're caught cracking & cheating, you lose your game entirely. That can get expensive!

To remove the tools people have had since online pc gaming began to control cheating shows the contrary or at least a lack of caring at the prospect of people cheating.

dLMN8R

haaaaaaaayyyyy guyyyys!

*reads thread*

OH MY GOD MY CREATION, WHAT THE HELL HAS HAPPENED TO MY BEAUTIFUL CREATION??????

My my my, quite the crazy month. I don't own Modern Warfare 2, but after reading impressions from my friends with the PC version, I guess it's not all completely bad. I gotta say that the shitty server bowser and PunkBuster were by far the most annoying parts of MW and WaW, so anything without that has got to be an improvement in some ways.

Charging for DLC, no custom content, and matchmaking still suck of course. But I've never bought map pack DLC in the past, I don't see why that would change now. The rest...I could live without it, modding was never personally important to me in previous Call of Duty games - quite honestly, I never played them in multiplayer for more than 15-ish hours or so. Not having to deal with Punkbuster and the shitty in game browser? I might end up playing more.

Still not buying it for $60 though. I certainly wouldn't mind getting a gift from family for the holidays though. And damn, those Steam numbers are ridiculous.

tomedo

Can someone share a light on how VAC works? I saw 2 players with max prestige yesterday - shouldn't it be simple to ban these guys since its pretty much impossible to at that level at this point? What am I missing, does VAC actually require someone to manually go and ban each individial account?!? Good luck with that...

tomedo said:
Can someone share a light on how VAC works? I saw 2 players with max prestige yesterday - shouldn't it be simple to ban these guys since its pretty much impossible to at that level at this point? What am I missing, does VAC actually require someone to manually go and ban each individial account?!? Good luck with that...

This is how VAC works: Once VAC has detected a cheat, the user's account will be flagged for cheating/hacking then the ban will occur 2-4 weeks later. The reason why the ban is delayed is because it prevents those who make the hacks from knowing what hacks triggered the VAC ban. 99% of all VAC bans are final and Valve will rarely reverse a ban. Valve assumes that there are no false positives for a VAC ban.

Also, the bans are done by Engine, so if a person is banned on the MW2 engine then he/she will not be banned from any Source game unless VAC detects a cheat for one of those Source games. Even then you have different versions of the Source engine, so each are considered separate.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
tomedo said:
There is no manual banning. VAC mainly checks whether certain files are modified. For example, game EXE/DLL hacks lead to VAC bans.
VAC has difficulties (or maybe even fails) recognizing RAM hacks. But these are pretty rare afaik.

Vinci said:
That is fucking beautiful. Who the hell created that?

Custom map for Unreal Tournament 3 ("Hanging Gardens"), there's some serious talent in that community, download it here:

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=680370

The developer behind it is the developer of a custom lightmap baking engine, hence the stunning lighting. Though pretty much any mapper can get results almost on par with that very easily now with Lightmass (Epic's own GI baking tool) integrated into UDK.

VibratingDonkey said:
Anyone able to verify this latest nonsense?

What a shocking revelation!!

As for the subject of tolerable pings, usually find once you pass 100ms things can start to get flaky.

Never usually have a problem joining servers with sub 50/60ms pings for any popular game though,so its not a big issue most of the time.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Why are the dedicated servers in l4d so poor? It seems no matter what it's always much higher than any other game. Are the servers just of lesser quality?

Whenever i go on to play with my mates, i end up just hosting locally. Better pings for them than what matchmaking dumps me into (<100).

Puck

Banned
derder said:
I think that's more a steam thing.
hubris and bullshit.

it definitely would be activision whispering having an effect.

and i don't think we will see it for l4d2. cod4 / l4d2 had none of these issues.

wmat said:
There is no manual banning. VAC mainly checks whether certain files are modified. For example, game EXE/DLL hacks lead to VAC bans.
VAC has difficulties (or maybe even fails) recognizing RAM hacks. But these are pretty rare afaik.

Does this apply to nocd patches?

Yoboman said:
What an absolute load of horseshit

How the hell can they even check that? That's all a retail copy of a Steamworks game is these days anyway. All those sellers do is email you the legitame code from a retail copy, which renders there disc useless, its still a legitame sale and can't even begin to comprehend how they could filter such sales out. Just sounds like FUD to get you to pay the full Steam price to me.

Teetris said:
Would be hilarious if true, but can't they do this with the changes of playlists like they did with 4?

Even if that's the case, what sort of sense does that make? Why should they lock people out from content that's already there, why not let people just, you know, decide what type of games they'd like to play?

Rayme

spyshagg said:
New paid game mode hidden inside the PC version, already hacked free
Paid? That's a hell of a claim to make.

When CoD4PC came out, there were no mod tools yet (took a few months). Almost immediately, people extracted the script data from runtime memory. The same thing happening again, with MW2, was a given (and it did happen).

If IW wanted to do evil, I'd like to think it'd happen in a way more sneaky way than leaving a handful of unfinished/unbalanced gametypes in bare script text data. Ffs.

Zzoram

brain_stew said:
How the hell can they even check that? That's all a retail copy of a Steamworks game is these days anyway. All those sellers do is email you the legitame code from a retail copy, which renders there disc useless, its still a legitame sale and can't even begin to comprehend how they could filter such sales out. Just sounds like FUD to get you to pay the full Steam price to me.

They can check where you are activating from, and where the serial key was supposed to be sold.

Valve, along with tons of other companies, sell their product cheaper in countries like China and Russia where piracy is rampant and there is less disposable income. This allows them to make some legitimate sales and money where they would otherwise face 100% piracy. It also gets people from these regions used to buying legitimate merchandise for the future when their populations get wealthier. Those cheap serial keys are not meant for Western 1st world countries.

In China, many movie studios sell legit DVDs for $2. They are meant to compete with illegally burned movies being sold for $1.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
brain_stew said:
I'm sure the resellers buy large shipments of games that probably have concurrent codes, I would hope that steam wouldn't just ban any copy that was sold from a different region than the steam account and force legit purchasers to jump through hoops to prove they were legit.

Enosh

Fourzerotwo
INFINITY WARD STAFF

Yes, PC is the smallest percentage in terms of how much sold on each platform but that hardly means anything other than the PC is just the smallest market.

The PC version of Modern Warfare 2 has actually outsold the PC version of Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare in it's first week. Making it the most successful PC version.

Essentially, all this percentage proves is that the console versions sold great, not that the PC version sold poorly, because that's actually not the case. The PC version has done tremendous in it's first week, better than our previous game.

http://www.infinityward.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=183344&start=20#p3035514

Rayme said:
If IW wanted to do evil, I'd like to think it'd happen in a way more sneaky way than leaving a handful of unfinished/unbalanced gametypes in bare script text data. Ffs.

Why would IW even bother trying to be sneaky when it's clear they can shit down the throats of the people who supported them the longest and still sell millions?

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Puck said:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12092791&postcount=20

So to the many thousands who purchased cd keys for the game (like they have for every other game in the past, COD4, L4D, CSS), the game will be removed from your account.

Squeezing every cent out of the userbase, well done Activision.

I'm just not seeing what is illegal about buying a CD key? I was thinking about doing this from g2play.com but now that they're pulling this shit...

I would expect someone to take them to court because unless someone can provide in the terms of service or something like that where it says you can't do that then they are in the wrong. I don't think people can really blame valve for following what Activision most likely wants.

RotBot

A lot of people bought Thai region Orange Box cd keys in 2007 from a Thai website. Valve put in region restrictions soon after so that those people couldn't run the game any more.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...out-user-accounts-for-incorrect-territory.ars
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Orange_Box#Region-specific_versions
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=350936

Buying legitimate US keys for your US steam account shouldn't be detectable. The forum poster bought his key from G2Play, which appears to have a history of selling blacklisted keys. That's proably what got his game flagged.

Edit: It's likely these are actually legit overseas keys, and the Valve mod is misinformed or not being upfront about why they're being removed. I think Valved eventually caved and allowed overseas keys to work for their own games. The decisious would be up to the publisher, which in this case is Activision.

Zzoram said:
They can check where you are activating from, and where the serial key was supposed to be sold.

Valve, along with tons of other companies, sell their product cheaper in countries like China and Russia where piracy is rampant and there is less disposable income. This allows them to make some legitimate sales and money where they would otherwise face 100% piracy. It also gets people from these regions used to buying legitimate merchandise for the future when their populations get wealthier. Those cheap serial keys are not meant for Western 1st world countries.

In China, many movie studios sell legit DVDs for $2. They are meant to compete with illegally burned movies being sold for $1.

Fuck the chinese, what about MY ecenomy! ;)

I think the 1flag CTF and nuke modes can just be enabled as a hopper when IW want, since it's just changing some settings and the info is already included.

But this is Activision owned, so bets on paying are evens.

epmode

Diablohead said:
I think the 1flag CTF and nuke modes can just be enabled as a hopper when IW want, since it's just changing some settings and the info is already included.
Even if this is true, this sort of thing (Halo-style matchmaking) is still shit. I can't get over how maps, game-modes and map rotations are determined by developers instead of gamers. And people are apparenly OK with this.

And no, unsearchable custom games are not a solution to this.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Archie said:
Depressing. I guess laggy P2P is the future. Good job, IW.
Blame all the PC users that couldn't even boycott the game.:lol

Puck said:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12092791&postcount=20

So to the many thousands who purchased cd keys for the game (like they have for every other game in the past, COD4, L4D, CSS), the game will be removed from your account.

Squeezing every cent out of the userbase, well done Activision.
Lucky, since i was almost consider buying L4D 2 from a site like that, but i always had a bad feeling about it. Good to see my intiution was correct.

Swifty

Gamespy had put up their review of Modern Warfare 2 PC on Monday. Despite the fact that they're owned by IGN, they gave it possibly the lowest out of all the mainstream sites with a 4 out of 5 rating, mostly in part to the lack of dedicated server and mod support. The general consensus was "While it's still one of the year's best games, the PC version is lacking in key areas."

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/call-of-duty-6/1045400p1.html

Of course, if you're a PC player, there's a good chance you already hate Modern Warfare 2 because of Infinity Ward's decision to drop dedicated server support. This was a surprising choice (especially from a developer that used to be known as a major PC supporter), since dedicated servers are one of the best reasons to play multiplayer PC games. Removing key features in the sequel to a hugely popular game is always a dicey proposition and, if the user feedback is any indication, it didn't exactly work out very well for Infinity Ward in this case.

As if the removal of dedicated servers wasn't enough, the developer also cut down the maximum number of players in the PC version from 64 to 18 and removed support for user-created maps and mods. All of these elements combine to form a big ol' slap in the face to PC-only gamers, who are understandably angry (though apparently not enough to stop them from buying and playing it). It's really a shame to see one of the world's best PC developers abandoning the fans that helped put them at the top of a very short list of AAA shooter creators.

Robert Bowling said:
The PC version of Modern Warfare 2 has actually outsold the PC version of Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare in it's first week.
Well that's sad.

[quote="Gamesindustry.biz]Only the controversial PC version of the game could be considered a disappointment, entering at only number five in the individual formats chart.[/quote]
But this is encouraging.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Does anyone know how CoD4 PC sold? I keep seeing between 1 million and 2 million tossed around. We know that MW2PC did around 53,000 in the first week in the UK. Even assuming CoD4PC only did a million, I still don't see it being plausible that MW2 beat that within a week.

Top Bottom