• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hubris and Bullshit: Modern Warfare 2 PC will not allow dedicated servers.

senahorse

Hey I am not saying one's better than the other, just that it's understandable to a degree. I love my consoles, but when devs pull shit like this, it's understandable why some of the emotions come out as they do.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
you know, i'm absolutely astonished no one's brought up the whole "Infinity Ward has shot themselves in the foot" copypasta. i'd do it, but i can't find the original to properly edit.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
x3n05 said:
What's really funny (on the iw forums), is that PS3/360 fans are banding together against the PC gamers, it's no wonder why some PC fans despise consoles. Especially after PC gamers made IW a relevant company in the first place and now they are just dumbing the game down to the lowest common denominator.

It's a mutual feeling of contempt. PC gamers feel consoles are compromising their games and resent that console gamers are fine paying for features that are free on PC, while console gamers hate the pc players for looking down their noses at them all the time.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
doomed1 said:
you know, i'm absolutely astonished no one's brought up the whole "Infinity Ward has shot themselves in the foot" copypasta. i'd do it, but i can't find the original to properly edit.

Someone actually used "shoot themselves in the foot." But they said Activision shot PC gamers in the foot, which is accurate. Was no follow up joke.

hellclerk

HK-47 said:
It's a mutual feeling of contempt. PC gamers feel consoles are compromising their games and resent that console gamers are fine paying for features that are free on PC, while console gamers hate the pc players for looking down their noses at them all the time.
where do i fall in this as a Wii/PC gamer?

Smash88

Banned
I bought CoD 1 & 2 and the expansions. I bought CoD 3 (by Treyarch) and it was a pile of garbage, got rid of it a week later, what a waste of money and swore off any Treyarch game from there on.

I bought CoD 4 it was amazing (although I bought it on consoles don't know what happened to me there.) I skipped CoD: WaW.

So as you can imagine my excitement for this game is through the roof, and this time I was getting it for the PC. I went through the shit of you guys raising the price for PC games, but now you taking out Dedicated servers and Modding tools, are you fucking kidding me? I thought of you guys as a top tier developer, but seeing as the sight of money is too good to pass through your greedy hands it looks like I'm going to skip this game, oh and I've informed my two buddies who will also not purchase this for PC.

What really sucks about this is that the PC community made CoD what it is today, and they decide to spit in our faces...? You guys are playing a dangerous game.

Congrats Activision, IW - you can go fuck yourselves.

*Side Note*: Looks like I'll just pool all that money to Borderlands and L4D2 as a Day 1 purchase. At least they know how to treat customers, that helped make them as big as they are today. I was also close to buying CoD4 for PC, since I sold my 360 copy, but looks like that plan is gone.

senahorse

HK-47 said:

Yeah, I can see it from both sides. I personally prefer to play my multi-plats on PC where I can and where it makes sense, however at the same time I have no problem paying for live etc. It's cultural to a degree I guess, on PC we have been conditioned to getting content for free, dedicated servers etc so when a big change happens like this it's hard to just deal with it, short of not buying the game. Whereas in the console space, online gaming is relatively new, so just having it is really a bonus.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
doomed1 said:
where do i fall in this as a Wii/PC gamer?

You dont unless you fiercely identify with one side over the other. Wii doesnt really fall into this since PC games arent ported to it.

x3n05 said:
What's really funny (on the iw forums), is that PS3/360 fans are banding together against the PC gamers, it's no wonder why some PC fans despise consoles. Especially after PC gamers made IW a relevant company in the first place and now they are just dumbing the game down to the lowest common denominator.

I saw a lot of this:

"PC gamers should be grateful it's even coming to PC."

Enosh

Smash88 said:
I went through the shit of you guys raising the price for PC games

well either you buy it for 60$ OR you can not be an idiot and do more than 1 min of searching and buy it here for 50$ + a 10$ gift card

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=11332037

people that buy that game for 60$ on the PC and bitch about it have no sympathy from me beacose there are places to buy it for the usual 50$

(if you are from the EU, this place:http://shop.gameplay.co.uk/webstore/productpage.asp?ProductCode=RM03621 has it for £29.99, which is around 35€ and iirc they do ship it to other places within the EU, and if you are from the UK, this place: http://www.coolshop.co.uk/catalog/product/58074-modern-warfare-2-(call-of-duty)--for-pc has it for £24.99, but they don't ship outside the UK iirc)

Death Dealer said:
I saw a lot of this:

"PC gamers should be grateful it's even coming to PC."

you counter that with, "LOL yeah its so hard to blow 300 on a console, you leet man you."

it totally bypasses their eArmor and crits for maximum butthurt

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
ezekial45 said:
Piracy affected COD4 in a big way. So i'm assuming they don't wanna bother with implementing dedicated servers..
Oh geeze... They made freaking millions with the title. Piracy was irrelevant for this one.

Smash88

Banned
Enosh said:
well either you buy it for 60$ OR you can not be an idiot and do more than 1 min of searching and buy it here for 50$ + a 10$ gift card

people that buy that game for 60$ on the PC and bitch about it have no sympathy from me beacose there are places to buy it for the usual 50$

(if you are from the EU, this place:http://shop.gameplay.co.uk/webstore/productpage.asp?ProductCode=RM03621 has it for £29.99, which is around 35€ and iirc they do ship it to other places within the EU, and if you are from the UK, this place: http://www.coolshop.co.uk/catalog/product/58074-modern-warfare-2-(call-of-duty)--for-pc has it for £24.99, but they don't ship outside the UK iirc)

I live in Canada, and I don't purchase online, I purchase my games in person at the store.

And like I said I refuse to purchase this game anymore.

Ihya said:
Why the fuck do they even care what happens on the PC? People with too much time to troll on the net...

Fanboys.

Ihya

x3n05 said:

Why the fuck do they even care what happens on the PC? People with too much time to troll on the net...

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Fuck forum dwellers on the IW forums, they don't know shit. That place is on the level of the Gametrailers forums.

Lets read some of the brilliant responses over at the IW forums

suck it up, they should just cancel mw2 on the pc if this is the kind of appreciation they get for their hard work. BTW- I dont see why anybody games on the pc in the first place.

Get OFF your goddamn high horse, pal.

The guy is right, and you're lucky that IW even made the damn game in the first place! The last thing you should be doing is complaining!

You guys are like fuckin black panthers holy crap. "WERE FIGHTING FOR OUR RIGHTS, TIME TO RISE UP AND GET OUR FREEDOM BACK. PC POWA"
Its a goddamn video game. Live with it or dont buy it.

And at that dude who said he spent $300 for a video card, why the hell would you spend that much on a video card?
That shows you have no life to spend that money on anything else.

1.) dont see why anyone cares
2.) thats stupid
3.) I think 12 is just fine.
4.) NO!! I have tried to play pc shooters and the mouse is in no way better than the controller

Exactly. So why are you here complaining? Apparently this company doesn't care about you. Whoopy! Move onto another one.

And when other companies do the same type of switch, see where you end up.

No one cares XBOX FOR LIFE!

ok let me get this staight you rather drop the best game in 2010 because of no dedi servers, let me guess you are american, so even without dedi servers you will have no problem with lag and can do find with 6vs6 in a rank friendly environment

Butt hurt for having a $3000 Gaming PC and Me with my $300 XBOX gets WAY more attention... Hay, don't get me wrong I know it's way harder to play on our controllers so I would be mad to if I wasn't good at it and had to point and click fools all day. Plus modding your gun is the only way you can get kills so U are pretty Eff'd man. That sucks...

Directed to all pc gamers

Stop whining you ***!!!!!!!!!!!!
(P.S) I have a xbox 360 and it takes me 1,5 sec (max) to do a 360 sale pute!!!!!
(P.s#2) Cant wait for this game to come out!!!!
(P.s#3) Pc gaming is dead! (And i’m happy about it!)

Hi,

PC gamers really? How about you guys get over it! No dedicated servers oh no it must be the end of the world! There are not any mods, dedicated servers, or custom user created content on the consoles and you do not see them complaining. Besides he did not confirm or deny that it was the end of mods and everything that makes it awesome for you. Also you can still hold matches with friends or clans in private matches and Bowling even said that they have added further customization to those! Honestly you have nothing to complain about this time and I'm tired of reading about how you all hate IW and aren't even going to buy this game. If you hate it so much then why are you posting about it on this form to give you some false sense of intelligence or to try and prove to yourself you are right? If you are just going to unfairly judge the game before it is even released then we do not need you in our community anyway. I have no doubt this game will continue to sell millions whether you buy it or not. Thank you for reading this wall of text and I hope this brings one person to their senses. (BTW I am aware that not every PC gamer is like this and I can understand how you would be upset, but this is simply for the people who are completely over reacting.)

Just about every PC gamer complaining is GAY.
God I love the internet:lol

I have no idea what the fuck you guys are talking about. :lol

I'm so far gone on PC gaming, I used to be in the loop. Too much spec shit now I'll stick with console gaming in between my ridiculous work and school shifts, at least until I can get some funding or find some people I actually want to play with on PC.

permutated said:

I'm so far gone on PC gaming, I used to be in the loop. Too much spec shit now I'll stick with console gaming in between my ridiculous work and school shifts, at least until I can get some funding or find some people I actually want to play with on PC.

What does your personal life have to do with servers? Fuck buddy, you're almost good enough to post on the iw forums:lol

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
permutated said:

You don't know what dedicated servers are and you used to be "in the loop" with PC gaming? What?

Aegus

The console gamers on the IW forums are like lemmings jumping off a cliff to some bullshit wonderland of no choice and no community creativity.

Enosh said:

:lol

What a terrible argument giving the okay to the $10 price hike. The consumers are stupid for the price being raised? How many out of the million do you think are going to be aware of the $10 gift card? It's their fault for being "idiots" and paying the now standard price? Give me a break, dude.

The whole point is that it is not a "standard" (as you put it) $50. You have to search to find the price it SHOULD be.

Revolution number one said:
What does your personal life have to do with servers? Fuck buddy, you're almost good enough to post on the iw forums:lol

At least I'm to the point where I realize I just can't keep up. I wish I had the time, I remember playing games on the PC way back and thinking I would stick with it for a long time, then I eventually transferred over.

Not saying one is better than the other at all, nor would I ever say that (totally useless to compare the two). It's just that one is better suited for my new schedule, regardless of how much that sucks. :==(

Zefah said:
You don't know what dedicated servers are and you used to be "in the loop" with PC gaming? What?

I was actually speaking in regards to the majority of tech babble I see in PC threads. Kind of an inopportune thread I suppose but it's still there.

Adios.

permutated said:
At least I'm to the point where I realize I just can't keep up. I wish I had the time, I remember playing games on the PC way back and thinking I would stick with it for a long time, then I eventually transferred over.

Not saying one is better than the other at all, nor would I ever say that (totally useless to compare the two). It's just that one is better suited for my new schedule, regardless of how much that sucks. :==(

I was actually speaking in regards to the majority of tech babble I see in PC threads. Kind of an inopportune thread I suppose but it's still there.

Adios.

What kind of tech babble do you see here in this thread?

Enosh

Mr. Snrub said:
What a terrible argument giving the okay to the $10 price hike. The consumers are stupid for the price being raised? How many out of the million do you think are going to be aware of the $10 gift card? It's their fault for being "idiots" and paying the now standard price? Give me a break, dude.

The whole point is that it is not a "standard" (as you put it) $50. You have to search to find the price it SHOULD be.

if people can't be bothered to search on more than one place for the game, it's their own damn fault

Omikron

Revolution number one said:
What kind of tech babble do you see here in this thread?

Dedicated servers result in a better online experience.

(unsure if my sarcasm is going to translate well onto gaf.)

Yagharek

PC gamers (not that I am one) have every right to be pissed off. IW have obviously gotten too big for their boots, and have gone along with activision down the path of removing content and charging more for the privellige.

The more that core gamers realise they are being taken for a ride, the better. Here's hoping activision kill the golden goose and piss off all the starcraft/diablo and cod fans at once. There will be/are other similar, better games.

Omikron

The thing I didn't understand to begin with is all the hype around this game....

Sure, it looks good etc etc, but really is it anything we haven't seen before?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
wmat said:
You're not a smart person, I can tell by what you posted above. It's one of my magic tricks.

Your superficial psychometrics analysis of my idiom is somewhat off kilter...

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Omi said:
The thing I didn't understand to begin with is all the hype around this game....

We haven't seen the lack of dedicated servers in a CoD title yet, yeah :D

hellclerk

Omi said:

actually, the combined particulars of the custom class system, the leveling up system, and the overall balance of the game, it makes for a very visceral and addicting experience. it's not like we haven't seen each individual part in use, but combined and in the way it is makes for a VERY fun game.

Infinity Ward is fucking crazy. No dedicated servers is going to destroy pc communities that have formed around this series. Not to mentioned the user created content side of things... wow... just wow.

NIN90

As a former competitive CoD2 and CoD4 player I feel like IW spit me in the face.
There's something bittersweet about IW abonding the series on the PC where I played it everyday for several hours over the course of 3 years.

"So you got literally got thousands of hours out of CoD2 and CoD4 and you were pretty dedicated but you only payed 50$ for each game ONCE? Sorry gotta go. There's money to be had somewhere."

legend166

permutated said:

Adios.

The thing is, it's much easier to keep up with PC gaming now than it was 5-7 years ago. Due to rising budgets, graphics aren't as 'cutting edge' as they were. So graphics cards now last longer. My 8800GT is two years old now and still runs things great. The only problems are when you hit a poorly optimised console port, which are actually becoming less common. On the driver sides, it's easier than ever. Click the button on nVidia's website, it tells me what drivers I have and what I need to download. Then you've got automatic updating on Steam, etc.

It's much easier to be a PC gamer now than it has ever been.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
So i dont know much about MW2... i havent even touched MW1.. its not my kind of game. So im just curious and reading this thread and i see the link to IWs forums... ive never been there before ever. Turns out im IP banned from there :lol The forums must have been pandemonium if they did whole IP ranges :lol

MMaRsu

Banned
tHoMNZ said:
nah, nail in the coffin for iw

Doubt that, there are still millions of idiots who won't buy it used but will buy it day one. I won't even be able to convince my friends that they should buy it day one. They don't care about Kotick or being assraped by Activision on mappacks. But they are pretty much console noobs :p.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Number 2 said:
So i dont know much about MW2... i havent even touched MW1.. its not my kind of game. So im just curious and reading this thread and i see the link to IWs forums... ive never been there before ever. Turns out im IP banned from there :lol The forums must have been pandemonium if they did whole IP ranges :lol
There were some problematic patches for CoD4 in the past. Probably part of the reason.
Are you at uni? Maybe you have some troll in your local network.

Omikron

Be interested to know those console guys slamming the PC folk for their disdain of these measures by IW have ever played a game of any type using a dedicated server and understand what this actually means. My guess would be no. And that in itself is a sad fact.

Just shows you how uneducated the public really is on anything mildly technological.

But I won't rant about that here ;)

Top Bottom