• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Huge Nintendo Switch exploit (potential hack) found on firmware 3.0.0

Vena

Interesting, I didn't know about that. The cat-and-mouse hacking race on the 360 was fierce stuff. Interesting that Microsoft had such success warding off unsigned code execution but left a massive hole in the DVD drive that took ages to close down (somewhat).

3.0.1 completely changed all the keys and all sysmodules, etc, were changed/recompiled with new the new keys.

3.0.1 is, effectively, an entirely new FW.

Yes, but PSP (Pro CFW, M33), PS3, original Xbox (Avalanche), Xbox 360 (DashLaunch) and even the 3DS in the form of a bootloader have custom firmwares. You can update to them and still access homebrew and games. So hack your 3.0.0 device and wait for someone to create update packages without certain security features to bog it down. This has happened plenty of times in the past.

Well, yes, this is even on the PS4 on 1.76 (TLOU bundle) where the system was cracked wide open but later updates patched it closed entirely. Same has happened here.

I have honestly no idea what you are referring to.

You said the excuse was backing up save files.

Between things like Retrode and Kazzo you're looking at somewhere around $100 to back up save files and games from old carts (as an example, but relevant because VC is the topic at hand).

If backing up save files was an excuse to pirate, it's a shitty one. People that actually do want to back up those files have legitimate reasons for doing so, and further, I'd submit that most seeking that route understand the legality of the issue well enough to NOT pirate games. I say most because there are always people out that do wrong, but lumping the people that do right in with them isn't cool, that's all.

Edit: And on topic, it's a little early to be looking at exploits for the Switch. Give it time, and a library. Then feel free to crack it open, but, and I can't stress this enough, BUY THE GAMES YOU WANT ON VC IF YOU WANT THEM TO CONTINUE TO SUPPORT IT.

Vena

glad this came out after everyone updated

the more locked down this system is, the better

This has been known *quietly* for months.

They kept it quiet because they were waiting for the major update to patch it. Ergo 3.0.1 came out, everyone kept quiet for a few weeks, and then finally it was documented fully to switchbrew.

M3d10n

How come Nintendo consoles are so easy to jailbreak while there's still no exploit for PS4 or Xbox One?

There's an exploit on PS4 FW 1.76 which people used to install Linux on it. There's videos of people playing Steam games on it.

Microsoft, unlike Sony and Nintendo, has quite more expertise in this area for obvious reasons. They also "eased the pressure" by adding developer mode and now the Xbox Creators program.

This has been known *quietly* for months.

They kept it quiet because they were waiting for the major update to patch it. Ergo 3.0.1 came out, everyone kept quiet for a few weeks, and then finally it was documented fully to switchbrew.
The allure of sonic is ruined to homebrew enthusiasts.

LordKasual

Banned
oh fuck me

I had to update to buy Mania off the Eshop

fuck me

How come Nintendo consoles are so easy to jailbreak while there's still no exploit for PS4 or Xbox One?

There's usually more value to jailbreak in Nintendo consoles than others, since they deliberately omit popular features and apps

So while it may happen in the same timeframe for something like PS4 or Xbone, those consoles have way more functionality so it's less impactful, and generally nobody cares

Hmmmlow change of big usergroup who could use this.

Also, first big exploit I don't care about. I'm getting old and don't need more than the Switch does right now.

Comet

Thank you Final Fantasy XII Zodiac Era for keeping me away from my Switch the last month and a half. I should be on 3.0.0

BigEmil

Lol the anti homebrew brigade of their beloved corporations in these threads always make me laugh. Every single time

opoth

Banned
I'm sure there will be more chances down the road. As excited as I am for my Switch to be an RA machine someday, I don't want to worry about endless bans and stability updates for a couple more years.

My Wii U is doing just fine in that department for now...

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Lol the anti homebrew brigade of their beloved corporations in these threads always make me laugh. Every single time

I don't want cheaters in online games. I don't want third parties avoiding the platform over piracy concerns. I own 3 hanhelds that let me install whatever I want on them without any sort of compromise. May I recommend a GPD Win?

BigEmil

I don't want cheaters in online games. I don't want third parties avoiding the platform over piracy concerns. I own 3 hanhelds that let me install whatever I want on them without any sort of compromise. May I recommend a GPD Win?
Fortunately for you they're a minority also no not a good enough alternative to having a all in one homebrewed Switch beast device especially if you already own one why buy another expensive shittier device makes no sense other than to please the corporates

pswii60

Can't Nintendo get around this by making new releases require a later firmware to be installed to run? Then homebrew would still be possible but you're not going to be playing any new games on the thing.

Vena

Can't Nintendo get around this by making new releases require a later firmware to be installed to run?

This has already been squashed. Thats why it was released. Your switch won't connect to the eShop, or run new software any more.

If you try to rollback by some third party means that will eventually show up to feed on gullible people, you'll brick your Switch permanently.

F34R

Newly purchased Switch, 18 days ago, comes with FW 2.2.0. I wonder if that's usable in respect to this exploit, or is this simply for 3.0.0 only.

Vena

Newly purchased Switch, 18 days ago, comes with FW 2.2.0. I wonder if that's usable in respect to this exploit, or is this simply for 3.0.0 only.

All firmware below 3.0.0 have this vulnerability and it has been the major source of all the progress thus far in cracking the switch.

3.0.1 completely patched it out and changed the system-level access/key/modules.

opoth

Banned
Can't Nintendo get around this by making new releases require a later firmware to be installed to run?

Sure, it's early yet, but I'm sure much like the 3DS, many of the updates will be ephemeral "stability updates" and whatever homebrew or CFW eventually springs up will probably allow one to bypass those required updates.

If someone can prove that Switches currently on shelves (hahahahahaha) are 3.0, I'd consider using the last of my GameStop credit to buy a second one for this, maybe.

Vena

Sure, it's early yet, but I'm sure much like the 3DS, many of the updates will be ephemeral "stability updates" and whatever homebrew or CFW eventually springs up will probably allow one to bypass those required updates.

3DS was EPROM protected, Switch uses a different and much more difficult to deal with form of flag-check on version software.

So, no. Not the same. You're either going to be on the correct firmware (and stuck on it), or you're going to be in a homebrew closed-garden with no access beyond that. You aren't going to be spoofing the fuse-burn any time soon, if ever.

I was quite clear when I said this weeks ago, if you want homebrew do not upgrade.

If someone can prove that Switches currently on shelves (hahahahahaha) are 3.0, I'd consider using the last of my GameStop credit to buy a second one for this, maybe.

They are most likely 2.2.0.

F34R

All firmware below 3.0.0 have this vulnerability and it has been the major source of all the progress thus far in cracking the switch.

3.0.1 completely patched it out and changed the system-level access/key/modules.
Nice. I'll keep this one on 2.2.0 then.

The one I bought just past two weeks ago, still new in box. I opened it up a few minutes ago to see what the firmware was installed. It's on 2.2.0.

wrowa

You said the excuse was backing up save files.

Between things like Retrode and Kazzo you're looking at somewhere around $100 to back up save files and games from old carts (as an example, but relevant because VC is the topic at hand).

If backing up save files was an excuse to pirate, it's a shitty one. People that actually do want to back up those files have legitimate reasons for doing so, and further, I'd submit that most seeking that route understand the legality of the issue well enough to NOT pirate games. I say most because there are always people out that do wrong, but lumping the people that do right in with them isn't cool, that's all.

Edit: And on topic, it's a little early to be looking at exploits for the Switch. Give it time, and a library. Then feel free to crack it open, but, and I can't stress this enough, BUY THE GAMES YOU WANT ON VC IF YOU WANT THEM TO CONTINUE TO SUPPORT IT.

I didn't say there are no legitimate reasons for wanting to back up your save files or that people who want to do that are potential pirates. It's absolutely idiotic that Nintendo isn't allowing us to back up saves - and if this was a decision made to prevent piracy it's one that didn't help at all.

I just don't think hoping for Switch to be hacked so you can easily back up your save files is worth the trade off of said hacks eventually leading to piracy (because they always do). Switch's support is shaky as it is since no publisher expected it to be successful - the last thing it needs is piracy giving publishers additional doubts about the viability of supporting the platform.

Vena

So does this exploit only work on 3.0.0 or does it also work on earlier firmware?

Anything under and including 3.0.0.

This *was* the major exploit, and its been there since 1.0.0 (where everything was bug riddled mess). It is gone as of 3.0.1 so future exploits will need a completely different and, so far, unknown entry point.

Which are understandable reasons.

Fortunately for you they're a minority also no not a good enough alternative to having a all in one homebrewed Switch beast device especially if you already own one why buy another expensive shittier device makes no sense other than to please the corporates

The minority of cheaters is something that I suspect is right, but can't speak to (only happened to me once, and F that guy). The concern about third party avoidance, however small, is still real though.

There are reasons both for and against homebrewing, and it almost always boils down to "piracy" being the reason against it. It's valid, but ultimately not valid enough for me to not mess around with my systems. Then again, I like to tinker.

NSESN

Even if they are a minority thay can stil destroy the online experience of people depending on the game.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Bad news when it comes to publisher commitment....console didnt even have its first Holiday season and 3rdPartys are still deciding about what kind of support they will provide.

Would be nice if it was just homebrew without Piracy and cheaters..but thats rarely how it works out. Switch already had a bunch of smaller success stories from eShop devs and niche titles...these are often the titles that suffer the most from piracy - lets see how this plays out. But considering how often i hear "this isnt worth XY dollar" regarding Switch software i have a bad feeling.

Vena

Even if they are a minority thay can stil destroy the online experience of people depending on the game.

The number will be extremely low, and you can't spoof the fuse-burn or FW on the Switch as of now so there's not really anything to worry about. Nintendo already patched all of their ends from FW to online to not accept <3.0.1.

Here's hoping custom firmware will eventually allow users to download firmware updates straight from Nintendo as you can on a hacked 3DS.

Different hardware level protections, you can't firmware update the Switch without burning the fuses and this will brick your console if you try to sideload the wrong version.

If you wish to have a bricked console, go right ahead.

Bad news when it comes to publisher commitment....console didnt even have its first Holiday season and 3rdPartys are still deciding about what kind of support they will provide.

Would be nice if it was just homebrew without Piracy and cheaters..but thats rarely how it works out.
Not necessarily, remember that the homebrewing community is incredibly small compared to the people who actually buy and use the systems as intented. And the homebrew capabilities right now don't automatically mean instant piracy. And it's still relegated to a firmware that a lot of people already upgraded to.

Also cheaters wouldn't be able to access the online anyways.

ChrisD

I pretty much only ever want Homebrew for region unlocking. So unless some really cool stuff comes out of this, I doubt I'd ever want to use it. Which works out great, since I'm on the latest update, lol.

NSESN

The number will be extremely low, and you can't spoof the fuse-burn or FW on the Switch as of now so there's not really anything to worry about. Nintendo already patched all of their ends from FW to online to not accept <3.0.1.

That's not what I mean. For example in Pokemon you only need one cheater to spread hacked pokemon, making wonder trade useless. Hopefully GF will improve their pokemon checking system so it won't be so problematic.

I didn't say there are no legitimate reasons for wanting to back up your save files or that people who want to do that are potential pirates. It's absolutely idiotic that Nintendo isn't allowing us to back up saves - and if this was a decision made to prevent piracy it's one that didn't help at all.

I just don't think hoping for Switch to be hacked so you can easily back up your save files is worth the trade off of said hacks eventually leading to piracy (because they always do). Switch's support is shaky as it is since no publisher expected it to be successful - the last thing it needs is piracy giving publishers additional doubts about the viability of supporting the platform.

Oh. My reading was that these folks (homebrewers/people that want to back up saves) eventually end up as pirates. My apologies for coming off as harsh.

I actually think the lack of features is a key element of driving homebrewing, and that if console makers brought more in, then they'd mitigate most of the drive, but eventually everything is going to be cracked open. And I am also of the opinion that anything that would be seen as a reason to NOT publish on Switch isn't good.

I just think that individual justifications for things are off limits for judgement, but your opinion is just as valid as mine. I think it's a little early to want the Switch hacked, since it doesn't have a library yet. Five or six years from now, it will really be something, but let's let the Switch get there first.

Will be interesting to see if anything comes of this - firmware spoofing will be really difficult or impossible without another hack if the keys are actually different - this is more of an oversight than a hack.

Vena

That's not what I mean. For example in Pokemon you only need one cheater to spread hacked pokemon, making wonder trade useless. Hopefully GF will improve their pokemon checking system so it won't be so problematic.

They can't get on to the GTS. And different firmware Switches do not interact with each other as it will cause an error. There's no way to get to the GTS.

The 3DS had terrible security upstream, the Switch is considerably more robust. The same person who released this hack has gone on length about how much *better* the Switch is in every regard. This is an unfortunate bug but it doesn't really change the overall security of the Switch.

3.0.1 squashed this entirely.

Will be interesting to see if anything comes of this - firmware spoofing will be really difficult or impossible without another hack if the keys are actually different - this is more of an oversight than a hack.

Completely changed, and everything recompiled, as of 3.0.1.

Top Bottom