• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Huge Nintendo Switch exploit (potential hack) found on firmware 3.0.0

I'm struggling to think of how outside of the color problem for N64 games, and the NES fuzzing.

I just bought Galaxy Blade yesterday and I'm having a blast.

What is Galaxy Blade?

Edit: sorry for the off-topic question, I've never heard of the game and a Google search just brings up a mobile game

i don't even know what firmware i'm on. i don't turn it on much.

edit: idk, it just says I have an update ready. I can't see what i'm running but it's apparently not 3.0.1.

I've kept mine up to date, but I don't really mind missing out on this. Only wanted the 3DS hacked so I could play games from other regions. Other than needing to fix VC and wanting an internet browser, I'm pretty satisfied with my Switch as is.

Well... Just picked up a second Switch. GS only had gray but I'll deal. At the very least, should be able to sell it.

Edit: Called another one and they have one neon left, but I can't go for a while and I don't know if I care enough lol

ViciousDS

Banned
Don't think I've updated since breath of the wild

So mine should be good to see what they release for it. Got a 128GB SD in the thing too.

Haven't turned mine on in awhile so unless it auto updates I should be on a suitable firmware.

Not sure if I should even bother though.

Welp, I can't believe I just did this...

Sr9ViPk.png

The timing of this news and the system being available on Amazon.com for MSRP, coupled with the fact that I haven't had this much disposable income in a very long time... the synchronicity was too strong to pass up.

I already have a Switch since launch and it's updated to the latest fw. This should be a little to no risk investment at worst, and potentially a very valuable one. I figure if I end up not needing it I can sell it without much if any loss of value.
can they force updates?

I would be pissed if they did

Well... Just picked up a second Switch. GS only had gray but I'll deal. At the very least, should be able to sell it.

Edit: Called another one and they have one neon left, but I can't go for a while and I don't know if I care enough lol

I wish Amazon had Neon when I ordered, had to settle for gray. I would have bought a neon even though I already have one of the same color.

Vlaphor

Just checked. 3.0.1. Damn. Oh well, felt the same way about my 3ds before I discovered the audio hack. I did just turn off auto-update though.

Wish I could confirm the one I just picked up has the correct firmware on it without opening. Any serial numbers or whatever that could allude to the package date? IDK

Vena

Just checked. 3.0.1. Damn. Oh well, felt the same way about my 3ds before I discovered the audio hack. I did just turn off auto-update though.

The Switch will force updates for software regardless, and there's no stopping that unless you don't want to use your software.

It'll patch from the cart. Everything going forward will force 3.0.1 or it just won't run.

The security on the Switch is considerably more robust than what was on the 3DS, so don't expect the same behavior.

opoth

Banned
The Switch will force updates for software regardless, and there's no stopping that unless you don't want to use your software.

It'll patch from the cart. Everything going forward will force 3.0.1 or it just won't run.

The security on the Switch is considerably more robust than what was on the 3DS, so don't expect the same behavior.

Homebrew, uh, finds a way.

Maximo

Its probably going to take less time then the 3DS.

Xtyle

Haven't touched my Switch for months. This is great news for me...hopefully we get some great emulators haha.

Damn, mine's already been updated. Oh well. This won't be the last exploit, but the early ones tend to be the best.

Turned off auto-update just to be safe for the future.

Murdamonk

Only 2 homebrews i want are Moonlight and PS4 Remote Play....

Imagine being able to play your Steam games on the Switch.. That will be awesome.

Im already on 3.1. but whatever.

Just wanna enjoy my legally acquired Switch games anyway.

Dont really need all the possible homebrew stuff that bad.

Mask

Mine is fully updated, but I don't really care about emulators on the switch since I have a retroengine sigma for emulators and stuff.

B.K.

I wonder how much control they can have with this exploit. It would be nice if they could eventually make emuNAND for Switch, like they used to for 3DS.

Top Bottom