• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Huge protest going on in NYC (and DC) over Trump's anti-immigration order

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link.

Thousands of New Yorkers have filled Washington Square Park this evening for an "emergency rally" for immigrant and Muslim rights, in the wake of a series of executive orders issued by President Trump this afternoon. The turnout, according to some of those in the park now, is "massive."

This afternoon, Trump, as promised, issued an executive order threatening to cut federal funding to sanctuary cities that have refused to aid his administration in their promised attempts to round up and deport immigrants. The order is short on specifics, but here's what we know so far.

CAIR-NY, which announced the rally this morning, says the protest is intended to send a message that, as "a city of immigrants, we cannot stay silent in the face of such hate. We ask you to gather tonight (Wednesday), to show President Trump that all New Yorkers stand with our Muslim and Latino neighbors. Together, we will form a beacon of light against the coming darkness."

Jackson Howard ‏@jaxxonhoward

Washington Square Park packed. Keep NYC a #SanctuaryCity

6ostGB5.jpg

amy bettys @amybettys

Massive crowd at #NoBanNoWall rally in Washington Square Park NYC. We will #resist!

uJ6uJXP.jpg

Jack Smith IV ‏@JackSmithIV (video)

"Silence equals death, and we will not be silent." -Councilman Corey Johnson, saying that NYC will be the "face of the resistance"

Video of protesters in DC chanting "Build bridges, not walls."

here

95177e3e58.png

if anyone wants to add a RESIST banner to their avatar, get the banner here https://secure3.convio.net/gpeace/images/content/pagebuilder/Banner_870x215.jpeg

go to https://pixlr.com/editor/

go to File > Open Image or Image URL for the banner, go to Image > Image Size and shrink the width

Open your avatar, add the banner's Layer to your avatar's canvas

a916

Good. This kind of thing should not be taken laying down.

There's so much shit to protest. Every fucking few hours there's a new thing.

Sad but true. I'm terrified if something truly backwards and evil slips through the cracks.

UberTag

Good, April is way too far away when he has destroyed America in five days.
Yep, that April 15th date was unrealistically optimistic.
These protests are only going to grow in size and frequency.
I'm expecting city-wide strikes and shutdowns within the month.

HvySky

I really, really hope people maintain this level of passion and commitment. We have to keep up the pressure and let these fascists know our voices will be heard.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.

There needs to be one every weekend. Do one outside 1211 Avenue of America and march to Trump Tower. Need to be outside networks that he watches. Do a huge one every month. Little ones weekly.

Kusagari

If people are able to they should be protesting in front of the White House every single day.

The orange fucker will be enraged.

RinsFury

I hope this grows in a movement big enough to shut entire cities down. Surround his chintzy hotels and shake this fascist piece of shit to his core. Please let the entire country rise up against him.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Yep at this rate we need to shut down everything. America will by dead if we wait and see.

commedieu

Banned
good. the system is broken.

Protest until everyone is blue in the face, then maybe they will do something about it.

RIP. Nana Ruth.

NimbusD

Good. This kind of thing should not be taken laying down.

Sad but true. I'm terrified if something truly backwards and evil slips through the cracks.
What's slipping through the cracks? Everything is being broadcast in plain view.

Iksenpets

Banned
Good. I fee like people need to be coming up with some sort of schedule for protests to keep pressure up for the whole year. Like, January focused on women's rights, and April is for tax returns and corruption issues, but there's still immigration and refugees, science and the environment, the torture program, voter suppression, police violence, etc etc. Set aside like the second Saturday in every month for an issue and never let up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom