• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hugh Jackman and James Mangold returning for Wolverine sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bone claws, Not Poison Ivy, and the third act aside, I surprisingly enjoyed The Wolverine. I just hope whatever is the final product has an R-rated/unrated cut, because I'm tired of 20th Century Fox selling this character to kids. Fun fight scenes but so held back.

Wolverine was the worst movie I have seen in years, I said it before and I'll say it again, I walked out laughing, I couldnt believe how bad it was.

L1NETT

Cool, the wolverine was surprisingly good in a rather dull summer of popcorn movies.

Always up for some more x men and more jackman.

I am not much of a comics guy, which way could they take it after dofp?

I know they won't do it, but they need to make it a R rating. The whole ninja fight at the end was bad. He should have been wading through those fools, instead he runs away and gets shot with a bunch of rope arrows. Why didn't he just turn around and cut the ropes with his claws?

Finaika

Ultimate_X_Vol_1_1_page_20_Jimmy_Hudson_%28Earth-1610%29.jpg

Daken looks different.

I know they won't do it, but they need to make it a R rating. The whole ninja fight at the end was bad. He should have been wading through those fools, instead he runs away and gets shot with a bunch of rope arrows. Why didn't he just turn around and cut the ropes with his claws?

Yeah, Logan should have been going Revengeance on them instead of letting himself get caught in such an obvious trap

Zen

Banned
Wow, I'm surprised it did so well overseas. It was an OK film imo, hopefully they can do better this time around. I love the character and the universe (and I have a secret man crush on Hugh Jackman).

Even though the overall plot and pacing had some issues, this felt like a real Wolverine character piece to me. Everything down to how he fought a groups of enemies felt very authentic to the character, more so than any of the films. I also greatly appreciated the attempt at have a larger cast with a politically driven narrative.

So here's hoping that they keep going in THAT direction for a sequel. Though I wonder how Days of Future Past will muddle things.

Bone claws, Not Poison Ivy, and the third act aside, I surprisingly enjoyed The Wolverine. I just hope whatever is the final product has an R-rated/unrated cut, because I'm tired of 20th Century Fox selling this character to kids. Fun fight scenes but so held back.

I would love to see a higher rated Wolverine film.

On that note hopfully Fox grows some balls and greenlights the R rated Deadpool script.

HooYaH

Even though the overall plot and pacing had some issues, this felt like a real Wolverine character piece to me. Everything down to how he fought a groups of enemies felt very authentic to the character, more so than any of the films. I also greatly appreciated the attempt at have a larger cast with a politically driven narrative.

So here's hoping that they keep going in THAT direction for a sequel. Though I wonder how Days of Future Past will muddle things.

I have a feeling that Days of Future Past will create a new timeline and a "reboot" to the modern day Xmen team. This way Xmen 3 never exists and Cyclops can come back. It'll probably erase the abomination of Wolverine Origins and bring a non defunct Deadpool.

AlexMogil

How many times has he played Wolverine? 5?

X-Men
X2
X-Men: The Last Stand
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
X-Men: First Class (Cameo as Logan)
The Wolverine

So 6. Days will be 7.

Wolverine was the worst movie I have seen in years, I said it before and I'll say it again, I walked out laughing, I couldnt believe how bad it was.

Are you talking about "X-Men Origins: Wolverine"?

Because this is a sequel to this year's "The Wolverine" which was an infinitely better film than that other piece of garbage.

Symphonia

Banned
Good. While it wasn't exactly making cinema history, I thought The Wolverine was really enjoyable and was Jackman's best stint as Wolverine yet. It will be interesting to see if Day's leads into the premise of Wolverine 2.

While not an amazing film, The Wolverine was probably my favorite comic-book film this summer. I'm totally down for more.

wildfire

Banned
I'll definitely watch the next film. The last one was surprisingly good even though they mishandled both the action and the characterizations towards the end. I didn't like that Wolverine's action peaked on the bullet train and I seriously disliked how Mariko's family fell apart.

Zen

Banned
Wildthing is the best there is at what she does.(being wolverine's and elektra's kid)

40828-6360-46069-1-wild-thing.jpg

Man MC2, Spider-Girl and Wild Thing deserved better. The whole line was such an awesome nostalgia trip back to the earlier style of comics.

Welp, I guess that means he won't die in Day of Future Past.

I doubt they'd kill him off anyways, but surely this will be a sequel to The Wolverine, not DOFP? Like it's gonna fill in the missing years between those movies and maybe tell us how The Wolverine ended with him gaining a bodyguard.....but then the stinger had him alone.

Grinchy

Banned
The Wolverine movies may not be "good movies" but Jackman is an awesome Wolverine. I see no good reason for him to refuse doing 100 of these movies if they're offered to him.

AMUSIX

seems as good a thread as any, but just want to go on record stating that Wolverine's bone claws still stands as one of the worst retcons in comic history.

I can't imagine anyone else playing Wolverine.
I can imagine someone else than Fox owning the franchise.

Sadly we all know which is more likely to happen.

So I guess Jackmans gonna be wolverine forever then?

At least he isn't up his own ass about wolverine like some stars who play iconic characters. I remember reading an article where he said that character made his career, and as long as the movies are fun to make, he will keep making them.

Prompto

Banned
I liked the first one a lot despite the shitty last act and robot silver samurai so I'm ok with this. James Mangold seems to agree with the problems with the film so here's hoping he learned from them.

I liked the first one a lot despite the shitty last act and robot silver samurai so I'm ok with this. James Mangold seems to agree with the problems with the film so here's hoping he learned from them.
I'm curious about whether or not that last act was the result of Mangold, or because of shitty executive-type meddling. It felt quite incongruous to the rest of the movie, as if somebody with pull read the script and freaked out at the lack of mutants fighting each other.

Alpende

I like Jackman.

But please go for an adult rating with blood and limbs being cut off. Having a badass guy with badass claws and not seeing any blood is bullshit.

AMUSIX

Not even in the top twenty

Easily in the top 20...yeah, the Spiderman OMD shit is #1 for me, but at least there was some semblance of plot reason to pull that. Wolverine's was just for the "how cool would this look!" factor, and made zero sense.

Liamario

Banned
Quite enjoyed the wolverine, although it did have its flaws. I wonder where they'll go with this one...

This is great news, I think. Whereas the new Wolverine movie earlier this year had a bit of a pointless last chapter, most of it was well above average.

I wonder where they'd take Logan now that they've done the obligatory Japan episode.

Agreed, The first 2/4 was absolutely on point!!!!!!!

Loved the movie up until the last act.

Honestly, I want Jackman to be Wolverine for ever!

This is great news to me. Liked The Wolverine quite a bit the first time I saw it, although I, like seemingly most, didn't care as much for the final third of the movie. Saw it a second time though, and the last act didn't seem as off as I had initially thought. Can't wait to watch the extended version when it comes out on video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom