• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hunter x Hunter has missed a full year of publication for the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It still makes me laugh people lose their shit bitching about Kishimoto, but dude finished his fucking series. Better than I can say for everyone else mentioned in this thread.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
It still makes me laugh people lose their shit bitching about Kishimoto, but dude finished his fucking series. Better than I can say for everyone else mentioned in this thread.
About 50 Man Behind The Man tropes later.

And the calendar duration of the war arc only took kishimoto as long to write as Toriyama took to release Dragon Ball from the first chapter up to the arrival of raditz!

SalvaPot

I mean sure, but with Kishimoto I stopped reading the series before it conclude because of how bad it got, meanwhile I want more of what Togashi has cooking.

Chariot

He even went in overtime. Continued way past the point where he should've sropped. Anyway, weird equivalence, people didn't critized Naruto for being not frequent enough. When we "bitch", we bitch about the content.

Joyful

dq.jpg

Paracelsus

He even went in overtime. Continued way past the point where he should've sropped. Anyway, weird equivalence, people didn't critized Naruto for being not frequent enough. When we "bitch", we bitch about the content.

He learned from the best, Dragon Ball is ongoing over 25 years after jumping the shark.

Lebron

Mainly because the new stuff is super boring wall of text political maneuvering.

The series could've ended with Gon sitting in that tree, and I'd be fine with that.

Mainly good characters. Same author as Yuyu Hakusho.

Say what now!? Didn't know that. Guess I'll give the series a go. Thanks

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Would you guys be fine with his wife taking over drawing the series, but the art style morphs between a mix of Togashi and his wife's art style (Sailor Moon)?

Daingurse

Would you guys be fine with his wife taking over drawing the series, but the art style morphs between a mix of Togashi and his wife's art style (Sailor Moon)?

Don't care who draws it at this point, as long as Togashi writes it. And I love his art too. When he's able to put forth effort, his stuff looks great. Been rereading the volumes as I buy them, and I love the dude's style.

Daingurse

What makes HxH such a must watch/read ?

HxH is my favorite manga/anime series for a few reasons:

Likable cast of compelling characters, with
great character development for said characters. Gon Freecss for example is not your average Shonen ptotag, even though he appears to be.

The story is well written and has an excellent sense of wonder, adventure, and intrigue.

And lastly the power set in Hunter x Hunter, Nen, is probably my favorite system in shonen manga/anime. Nen is a very interesting type of power, similar to the auras present in series like DBZ, but far more thorough and imaginative. Nen simply opens up a ridiculous number of possibilities, and really elevates the fightng which is important in a battle shonen. Fights have a lot more depth due in part to the mechanics of Nen.

Say what now!? Didn't know that. Guess I'll give the series a go. Thanks

Lol, the Yu Yu Hakusho name drop was all I needed as well. I slept on HxH for many years, and only needed that information to check it out. I would have been a fan several years earlier if I'd been made aware. Oh well . . .

¯_(ツ)_/¯

I'd like to see a hiatus chart for Berserk lol.

Here you go.

Except that'll never happen. Not like that, anyway.

if anyone who has read berserk expects that to ever happen outside of a dream...they haven't been paying attention.

Obviously it's not going to be as straight forward as Casca getting healed and then it all being sunshine and rainbows. However Miura will handle it, one things for sure - it's going to be a monumental moment for the story with a ton of very exciting results. So many feels will happen.

I stopped following Beserk after the Conviction arc, felt the story was getting weaker and his meeting of these five godhands would take an eternity. Glad I was proven correct :p

You done goofed son.

I'm not sure how seeing a picture of Guts reaching Elfhelm proves that the story is getting weaker? Does Berserk ever get as good as the Golden Age arc was (is that even possible?) that's debatable, but to say it gets weaker and imply it's not worth reading anymore after the Conviction arc is nonsense to me. It goes from perfection (10/10) to amazing (9.7/10). The quality never once dips to a point that I would say it's gone down hill. Tons of incredible stuff has happened.

Lebron

fantastic, memorable characters, interesting lore (Nen and the way people can create their own abilities), great fight scenes, great story arcs

One word: Killua.

HxH is my favorite manga/anime series for a few reasons:

Likable cast of compelling characters, with
great character development for said characters. Gon Freecss for example is not your average Shonen ptotag, even though he appears to be.

The story is well written and has an excellent sense of wonder, adventure, and intrigue.

And lastly the power set in Hunter x Hunter, Nen, is probably my favorite system in shonen manga/anime. Nen is a very interesting type of power, similar to the auras present in series like DBZ, but far more thorough and imaginative. Nen simply opens up a ridiculous number of possibilities, and really elevates the fightng which is important in a battle shonen. Fights have a lot more depth due in part to the mechanics of Nen.

Lol, the Yu Yu Hakusho name drop was all I needed as well. I slept on HxH for many years, and only need that information to check it out. I would have been a fan several years earlier if I'd been made aware. Oh well . . .

¯_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks for the breakdown, guys. It sounds like my kind of show (not surprising with the guy behind YuYu at the helm). Can't believe I've been sleeping on this for so long. Saw it on Netflix and thought it was typical Shonen "save everyone, be the best" fuckery. Seems I was way wrong.

Daingurse

Can't believe I've been sleeping on this for so long. Saw it on Netflix and thought it was typical Shonen "save everyone, be the best" fuckery. Seems I was way wrong.

Lol, look at the cover for Vol. 1:

51j-xXKJnUL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

This cover had me fucked up for I don't know how many years. I was reading the Big 3 in my early teens at the time, kept hearing about HunterxHunter in greatest shonen discussions, but seeing that Vol. 1 really turned me off lol. I just didn't feel compelled read it, because it didn't look appealing. I criminally pre-judged Hunter x Hunter, worst case of me judging a book by its cover ever. Why didn't some just say to me, "By the creator of YYH." That's all I needed!

A Chrollo fight was definitely gonna happen, they were building it up since the Greed Island Arc. Maybe not with Hisoka, but I always felt Chrollo was eventually going to get his powers back.

... dont... dont toy with my heart like that x___x

#believe

Bladenic

Back in 2007-8 the main cast of Berserk got onto a boat to go to Elf Island. They finally got to Elf Island with the latest chapter release. I remember back in one of the original Manga community threads joking about when the following events would finally occur:

1) Luffy getting to Fishman Island
2) The Chimera arc ending in Hunter X Hunter
3) Ippo reaching the World Stage
4) Guts reaching Elf Island

At the time I never expected Berserk to reach it's goal.

Wow interesting. Now can you explain what the fuck happened on this boat for so many chapters? Was it some humongous ass boat with dungeons inside or what

Moaradin

Wow interesting. Now can you explain what the fuck happened on this boat for so many chapters? Was it some humongous ass boat with dungeons inside or what

People make a bigger deal about the boat than they should.

1. The story doesn't focus on Guts for a big chunk of it, and some earth shattering shit is happening during this time so it's not like the story ever got boring or anything

2. They aren't even on the boat the entire time. They've made several stops since they got on it.

It's actually not just the boat thing, the author made Skellig island the destination for the characters way back in volume 21 or so before they even got on the boat (and we're now on volume 38), so this has been coming for over a third of the story so far.

Fandangox

Thanks for the breakdown, guys. It sounds like my kind of show (not surprising with the guy behind YuYu at the helm). Can't believe I've been sleeping on this for so long. Saw it on Netflix and thought it was typical Shonen "save everyone, be the best" fuckery. Seems I was way wrong.

Nah one of the main character is a former professional killer, and he isn't even the one that seems unstable, I think you will really like the York New arc once you reach it. I like the series a lot because of the characters and story. but Nen really makes it worth it, never seen an anime/manga where the "aura" power is so well thought and executed.

Tizoc

News flash, EVERYBODY is gonna die. You too buddy. It's not disgusting, it's just a fact of life.

Stop using and hiding behind this ridiculous notion.
You make it sound like a piece of fiction is more important to you than the person who writes it.

I got over the fact that we gotta wait forever for a new chapter of HxH, but what we already got is good and great enough.

Tizoc

There's plenty of good manga to tide one over.

For instance, fans of Dungeon n Dragons might be interested in this food's connoisseur manga. Helps that it has a great sense of humour to aid its rather intriguing premise.

Dungeon Meshi / Delicious in Dungeon

Yo this looks slick thanks for mentioning it, gonna give it a read.

Hypron

You done goofed son.

I'm not sure how seeing a picture of Guts reaching Elfhelm proves that the story is getting weaker? Does Berserk ever get as good as the Golden Age arc was (is that even possible?) that's debatable, but to say it gets weaker and imply it's not worth reading anymore after the Conviction arc is nonsense to me. It goes from perfection (10/10) to amazing (9.7/10). The quality never once dips to a point that I would say it's gone down hill. Tons of incredible stuff has happened.

Griffith getting
bitch-slapped
alone makes the later stuff amazing, everything else is just cherry on top.

One Piece has been declining in terms of quality since the timeskip though, imo. Fishermen Island was shite. Punk Hazard started out cool and finished shite. Dressrosa went on too long and really wasn't that exciting. I haven't felt like SHP are a real crew since pre-TS. Now they just get split up for extended periods at the beginning of every arc.

My top three arcs are still, by far, Alabasta, Water 7 and Thriller Bark.
My man.

Although, my three are:
Thriller Bark
Marineford
Sabaody Archipelago

OnePiece, from Reverse Mountain all the way through Marineford, is god tier. I will fist fight people. Post-War arc was bad though. A scattered epilogue with an overly long flashback. I stopped reading during Dressrosa. Last I remember
Luffy fought Bellamy; Law got wrecked by Doffy (even though him and Luffy pulled some sick tag combos); Rebecca and her dad fought Diamante (more like she cried and he fought); Robin, Cavendish, Bartolomeo were fighting shrapnel dude; Zoro and Pica were dueling...and that's it. I have no idea what anyone else was doing. Sitting on a mountain watching, I think? Bottom line is that it took forever for them to get to Doffy and even THEN it took forever for anything to actually happen.
Oda's pacing killed me. I couldn't handle it. And up until then, I only watched the anime. You wanna talk pacing issues....motherfucker I LIVED in pacing issues and I couldn't handle Oda's pacing.
This is what we are up against:
yoshihiro-togashi-dragon-quest.jpg
That was taken in what, '94?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom