• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hurricane Maria - Puerto Rico without power and cleanup underway

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
What is the current situation like down there?

I am also interest in the best place to donate
Well I am doing good. After 7pm its straight from a scene in the Purge though. Very eerie feeling. I have water, food, fuel, cash, and in a safe area. The water system is working, but no power yet, and AT&T has been shitting the bed with their service.

cntr

Banned
https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...o-rico-aid-as-they-learn-theyre-u-s-citizens/

As a humanitarian crisis unfolds in Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria devastated the island last week, the U.S. government’s response has been criticized, and much of the mainland news media has been focused on other issues. Polling shows that many Americans don’t know a lot about the U.S. territory, but as they learn more, the focus may shift in the mainland’s response.

Last year, YouGov found that only 43 percent of Americans knew Puerto Ricans were U.S. citizens. A poll conducted after Maria by Morning Consult showed that number may be up, but only slightly: Just 54 percent of Americans knew Puerto Ricans were U.S. citizens.

Morning Consult also found a relationship between how much people knew about Puerto Rico and how much they supported post-Maria aid. Among Americans who knew Puerto Ricans were U.S. citizens, about 8 in 10 supported government aid, compared to just 4 in 10 people who did not know. Overall, 64 percent were in favor of aid to the island.

Don’t be surprised if that overall percentage goes up, especially among Trump supporters, as more Americans learn that Puerto Ricans are U.S. citizens. That 64 percent in favor of aid increased to 68 when respondents were informed that Puerto Ricans are U.S. citizens. Trump backers specifically saw a 10-point jump — from 57 percent to 67 percent — in favoring aid when told that Puerto Ricans are U.S. citizens.

For comparison, 80 percent of Americans said they approved of a $62 billion relief package passed and signed into law after Hurricane Katrina, according to a Pew Research Center poll.

Jeez. I suppose it's ultimately good news, but it's a bit ridiculous that this situation exists in the first place.

The only good thing out of this will be a potential push for statehood, but I rather the orange doesn't get an accomplishment such as a 51st state

33% of trump voters are against aid even knowing these are citizens 🙃

I think there were similar statistics from TEA party folks when Sandy hit. Not necessarily a PR specific issue, but more of a greed/not in my back yard/etc.... problem in the Conservative side of politics.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I think there were similar statistics from TEA party folks when Sandy hit. Not necessarily a PR specific issue, but more of a greed/not in my back yard/etc.... problem in the Conservative side of politics.
Lil+hitler+made+this+for+veterans+day+a+day+late_c5f02a_4882216.gif

The Las Vegas mass shooting was a tragedy for all the victims and the family and friends affected.

... but it's also a tragedy for Puerto Rico. PR today has gotten zero news coverage on the major news networks. I'm worried that when the news media does shift their attention back to PR, things will have already deteriorated into a full blown humanitarian crisis.

Is Trump still planning to go there tomorrow?

Miggytronz

The Las Vegas mass shooting was a tragedy for all the victims and the family and friends affected.

... but it's also a tragedy for Puerto Rico. PR today has gotten zero news coverage on the major news networks. I'm worried that when the news media does shift their attention back to PR, things will have already deteriorated into a full blown humanitarian crisis.

Is Trump still planning to go there tomorrow?

I too worry that PR now will slide into a dark hole where people will forget about it.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Just wanted to check on this thread because of the Vegas thing.

People should remember that as bad as the Vegas shooting was, its victims are getting aid and resources right away. PR is a disaster on a much larger scale, and its victims are not.

I'm worried that people are forgetting about PR.

Afrodium

Banned
I too worry that PR now will slide into a dark hole where people will forget about it.

A thread about a humanitarian crisis in America that the Trump administration has handled terribly is at page 4 after 17 days on neogaf.com. People largely don't seem to care about this.

Bump.

PR-gaf (especially Aguadilla-Gaf) hope everyone is doing well. Just got a signal with AT&T and letting you guys know that we are alive and well in Guerrero. No water, no electricity and no services at all. Local mayor has basically disappeared.

So apparently Trump has already gotten bored with PR and is threatening to pull out FEMA and the military.

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 5m5 minutes ago
...We cannot keep FEMA, the Military & the First Responders, who have been amazing (under the most difficult circumstances) in P.R. forever!

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 13m13 minutes ago
...accountability say the Governor. Electric and all infrastructure was disaster before hurricanes. Congress to decide how much to spend....

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 22m22 minutes ago
"Puerto Rico survived the Hurricanes, now a financial crisis looms largely of their own making." says Sharyl Attkisson. A total lack of.....

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 1h1 hour ago
Clips from tax speech and @seanhannity on @foxandfriends now. Have a great day!

Prax

I hope updates keep coming, since I have a bad feeling for PR as a Canadian sitting around and feeling like things have gone silent in the news about PR.

It just seems like Trump and co manufactured their own genocide and refugee crisis within America, nevermind "the wall" and whatever travel/immigration ban fantasies.

Thinking of you all down there. Shame that the media seems to have moved on.

Our hospital system is one of the largest academic medical centers in the country, and we are experiencing a critical shortage of intravenous fluids because our supplier is based in PR.

Top Bottom