• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hurricane Season 2011 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Brent has formed.

203313W5_NL_sm.gif

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Adios, Brent.

I don't want to jinx anyone where I live but we sure could use a persistent depression or maybe even a mild tropical storm to put some moisture back in the ground of Southeast Texas.

HylianTom

Banned
Amen to this. I'm moving back in September, and I'm hoping that we're spared..

On the other hand, we wouldn't mind some rain here in Austin. I can't remember the last time I saw a good rain fall here.

Yambert said:
Please no New Orleans evacuation this year... we still need some more years off

The company I work for still hasn't completely rebounded. Between the losses due to Katrina and the Economy, times are tough.

Jeramii

Banned
I hope things go ok for you guys out on that end of the states. :(

I'm going to Orlando in September, so big money big money. Hopefully things are good (I know orlando is rarely touched, but hopefully all goes well).

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Don is about to form... aiming at South Texas. Damn did models have a bad handle with this system earlier.

AL 90 2011072712 BEST 0 219N 865W 30 1008 DB 34 NEQ 0 0 0 0 1011

First system to hit USA in 2+ years it seems. The Don! I like that name. And perfect for the South Texas drought unless it becomes too intense.

Relix said:
Don is about to form... aiming at South Texas. Damn did models have a bad handle with this system earlier.

AL 90 2011072712 BEST 0 219N 865W 30 1008 DB 34 NEQ 0 0 0 0 1011

First system to hit USA in 2+ years it seems. The Don! I like that name. And perfect for the South Texas drought unless it becomes too intense.

Best case scenario would be a slow moving weak tropical storm over south/central Texas. We need the rain in any shape or form

2-Terms of Kombat
9zlhu0.gif

Hmm.

Fedit: Damn y'all are quick.

Two questions:

1. Isn't the Gulf pretty much a steaming pot of hurricane juice right now?

2. Is there still a high pressure ridge cock blocking Texas from any weather phenomenon that isn't blazing heat?

Retro

Ah, sweet, the Hurricane thread is up with Relix at the helm. Subscribed.

Here's hoping the winds of fate send a hurricane further up the east coast along the same route as Isabel, I've been living semi-near an ocean for 3 years and never gotten more than remnants. I'm not saying I want to die, but after living in the midwest for years and feeling the excitement of quickly-approaching summer storms, I've wondered how the slow buildup of a hurricane feels.

2-Terms of Kombat
Retro said:
Ah, sweet, the Hurricane thread is up with Relix at the helm. Subscribed.

Here's hoping the winds of fate send a hurricane further up the east coast along the same route as Isabel, I've been living semi-near an ocean for 3 years and never gotten more than remnants. I'm not saying I want to die, but after living in the midwest for years and feeling the excitement of quickly-approaching summer storms, I've wondered how the slow buildup of a hurricane feels.

As someone who ran shitless from Rita and sat at home through Ike and spent the following two-and-a-half weeks without power, I can say it's a terrible experience with no redeeming value whatsoever.

DOO13ER said:
As someone who ran shitless from Rita and sat at home through Ike and spent the following two-and-a-half weeks without power, I can say it's a terrible experience with no redeeming value whatsoever.

Yeah but those of us who lived in Southern Brazoria country were pretty pissed that Houstonians got the green light to leave before people like us on the coast. Bill White was a dumbass. Fortunately the Ike evacuation went a little smoother.

2-Terms of Kombat
perfectchaos007 said:
Yeah but those of us who lived in Southern Brazoria country were pretty pissed that Houstonians got the green light to leave before people like us on the coast. Bill White was a dumbass. Fortunately the Ike evacuation went a little smoother.

Rita freaked everyone out from White all the way down to the average resident. No one seriously considered the possibility of a Cat. 4 or 5 storm striking the upper Texas coast until one had us in its sights, and coming off the heels of Katrina everyone just kind of shit the bed with their response to it.

bbagwell

Charleston, SC in the house! I hope for a quiet and uneventful season, as always. I have Hurricane HD (iPad) and Hurricane (iPhone) at the ready.

DOO13ER said:
Rita freaked everyone out from White all the way down to the average resident. No one seriously considered the possibility of a Cat. 4 or 5 storm striking the upper Texas coast until one had us in its sights, and coming off the heels of Katrina everyone just kind of shit the bed with their response to it.

Yep, everyone saw the video's of Katrina and it sent everyone into panic mode, including Bill White who did a poor job of organizing the evacuation. You can't just straight up tell a city of 2 million to leave. now. The counties on the coast have protocol by neighborhood on what time we can evacuate. We did our part, but then got stuck in traffic in Houston for 20 hours. bleh. Again, at least they improved evacuation in time for Ike

2-Terms of Kombat
perfectchaos007 said:
Yep, everyone saw the video's of Katrina and it sent everyone into panic mode, including Bill White who did a poor job of organizing the evacuation. You can't just straight up tell a city of 2 million to leave. now. The counties on the coast have protocol by neighborhood on what time we can evacuate. We did our part, but then got stuck in traffic in Houston for 20 hours. bleh. Again, at least they improved evacuation in time for Ike

How you guys feel about this one? You and Relix are pretty much WeatherGAF. Think we might actually see a hurricane out of this?

DOO13ER said:
How you guys feel about this one? You and Relix are pretty much WeatherGAF. Think we might actually see a hurricane out of this?

I doubt it will be anything more than a tropical storm, but I guess there's always a chance. The gulf waters aren't nearly warm enough at this time to produce anything too strong. The carribean waters are in the mid 80's, but the gulf waters at this time are as low as 75 degrees. For this storm to have been anything significant, it would have had to gain it's strenght over the carribean which it did not.

bbagwell

I was at Daytona Beach Shores a few weeks ago and the water temp right off the beach went from 79 degrees to 72 in a matter of three days when a storm front came through. I can't ever remember it changing that drastically in such a short time.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
DOO13ER said:

Ike was exciting while it was going on. Hearing the wind howl, the rain hitting windows, listening to the radio while laying in the hallway was different. It was the 2 weeks of no power afterwards that I hated. So I can see someone wanting to go through a big storm.

Retro

DOO13ER said:

Right, and in no way am I saying "I want to see lives destroyed" or "suffering is fun, bring it on". I was a weather nut as a kid; watched the weather channel for fun (I found it interesting), wanted to be a meteorologist until I was 10, my teachers used to let me give presentations on significant storms, etc. Growing up in the midwest I saw my fair share of thunderstorms (never saw a Tornado though), blizzards and ice storms, and always wanted to see how hurricanes stack up.

Don't get me wrong, severe weather sucks, but there's a certain element of excitement for me that I can't shake no matter how old I get (as evidenced by my following every weather thread on GAF I've seen since approval).

We had an Ice Storm when I was in college; we lost power for a few days and had to huddle around the fireplace until it came back on, flushing toilets with pots of water, eating non-perishables, digging out our neighbors... it was rough and it sounds like a terrible experience. But at the same time, I got to see another side of nature and some pretty intense sights and sounds; the night sky lit with green 'lightning' (transformers blowing all across town), actual lighting during a winter storm, the sound of ice-coated trees creaking in the gale, the screeching shatter of a tree exploding from the top town. Only hearing the scratching of a world made of glass as it twists in the wind, heightened by the lack of cars, trains and electricity.

So yeah, seeing a hurricane, as stupid as it sounds to want to see something that kills people, is still something I actively hope for. I'll probably regret it the minute it gets dangerous or boring without power, but I never said it made sense.

Also, the chances of me actually seeing a hurricane where I live right now are slim to none. One would have to make landfall between Cape May, NJ and Ocean City, MD for me to see anything but tropical remnants. Not only is that pretty far north, but for us to really feel any hurricane-like effects, it would have to track directly up Delaware Bay. Otherwise all we'd get is outer bands since we're actually kind of far inland. So I say "I want to see a hurricane" when I know the chances of it happening are slim (Isabel is pretty much the only storm in my life time to come anywhere close, and I didn't live here when it hit).

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Slowed down to 9mph per the NHC report. Seems to be getting squashed in the north side, but as soon as it gets out of the mess and with less land friction it should do well. I believe a Texas landfall is in order, as a strong TS or minimal Hurricane though no models predict one. The Gulf is one crazy basin with a lot of Rapid Intensification storms in its history, though I doubt that will happen. The waters aren't THAT hot right now. Still hasn't wrapped all the moisture.

As I said... should be the drought relief for Texas and hopefully with minor damages. The current setup in the Atlantic is poising for one with lots of landfalls. Most things that do come out for the next few weeks should travel from Atlantic to Caribbean with ease. So if things form we will see landfalls in the caribbean, Mexico, and USA. The TUTT north of Dominican Republic won't help systems develop in that region for now it seems. Wave at 30W is notable and has model support for developing. Aiming at the antilles too. This season started intense =P

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Good chance of it hitting me (and perfect I think) looking at that latest map.

I'm good as long as it doesn't get too big.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Ah the Ike memories. As terrible as it was in many ways, there was something a little neat about "hunkering down" during the actual storm, but I was also one of the very lucky ones that had power restored in about 24 hours. I had half my immediate family crammed into my one bedroom apartment for quite awhile while most of them were without power for around two weeks. We basically timeshared my laptop and crappy mobile broadband connection since Comcast was out for like a month in our area. Our whole complex resembled a sort of weird third-world nation village for awhile, with cars parked on every inch of free space, people BBQ-ing on their patios and management long-since bailed.

Here's a video I took right before the hurricane and the power went bye-bye. The fact that it was taken with a Motorola Q really ages it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxHdGBAGAFI

2-Terms of Kombat
Relix said:
As I said... should be the drought relief for Texas and hopefully with minor damages. The current setup in the Atlantic is poising for one with lots of landfalls.

We need a whole season of depressions and weak storms to make up for the rainfall deficit that's building in Texas. Lake Houston looks fucking terrible right now. The little (which are now actually quite big) sandbars that sprung up in the middle of the lake have begun to sprout grass...

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Don is looking like shit ATM to be honest =P

DOO13ER said:
We need a whole season of depressions and weak storms to make up for the rainfall deficit that's building in Texas. Lake Houston looks fucking terrible right now. The little (which are now actually quite big) sandbars that sprung up in the middle of the lake have begun to sprout grass...

Damn, that bad? Wow.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
Damn. I was planning on heading to South Padre this weekend. :( Hopefully nobody here goes on panic mode so I can do some grocery shopping tomorrow.

Relix said:
Damn, that bad? Wow.

Wouldn't surprise me. Just about every river and creek I drive through is in it's lowest in year.

Dega said:
Good chance of it hitting me (and perfect I think) looking at that latest map.

I'm good as long as it doesn't get too big.

Lake Jackson is where all my stuff is, with my parents, so yeah if theres a bad storm coming I'll have to help them and get my stuff down there before we evacuate

Heysoos

SuperAndroid17 said:
ugh I'm in houston

Was thinking of heading to concan, tx 2hrs after San antonio this friday... think this shit storm will ruin my weekend?

Most likely. I was heading to SPI this weekend, bleh.

SuperAndroid17 said:
ugh I'm in houston

Was thinking of heading to concan, tx 2hrs after San antonio this friday... think this shit storm will ruin my weekend?

It may ruin your weekend, but you know how badly we need the rain in central Texas

Whoa! I didn't even know this thread existed. Doh! Tropical storm Don
Juan
is finally starting to take shape. The Yucatan Peninsula was really hampering it last night. There is also some kind of upper Low off the west coast of Florida and it's been bringing some north winds into the Gulf. Hopefully that doesn't interfere with Don too much.
http://www.goes.noaa.gov/HURRLOOPS/gulfwv.html

Deputy Moonman said:
Whoa! I didn't even know this thread existed. Doh! Tropical storm Don
Juan
is finally starting to take shape. The Yucatan Peninsula was really hampering it last night. There is also some kind of upper Low off the west coast of Florida and it's been bringing some north winds into the Gulf. Hopefully that doesn't interfere with Don too much.
http://www.goes.noaa.gov/HURRLOOPS/gulfwv.html

meh.

Waters are too cool in the gulf and thats hard to overcome when a system is trying to develop. Over the past several hours the storm has actually weakened. Went from 1000mb to now 1005 mb. It should remain a weak to mid level tropical storm by landfall. I just care about getting some damn rain out of this thing. Check out how badly Texas needs some damn rain for those who don't know the severity of our drought we have here.

rain-to-end-drought-072811-440x297.jpg

Srsly

Banned
perfectchaos007 said:
meh.

Waters are too cool in the gulf and thats hard to overcome when a system is trying to develop. Over the past several hours the storm has actually weakened. Went from 1000mb to now 1005 mb. It should remain a weak to mid level tropical storm by landfall. I just care about getting some damn rain out of this thing. Check out how badly Texas needs some damn rain for those who don't know the severity of our drought we have here.

rain-to-end-drought-072811-440x297.jpg

lol, water temps had nothing to do with Don's struggles, shear and dry air did. Water temps are warm enough in the gulf to support a cat 5

Srsly said:
lol, water temps had nothing to do with Don's struggles, shear and dry air did. Water temps are warm enough in the gulf to support a cat 5

I don't know how you are getting to that conclusion, but from the maps I'm reading the gulf waters have been in the mid 70's. To have a strong hurricane, the waters should be at least in the lower 80's

Srsly

Banned
perfectchaos007 said:
I don't know how you are getting to that conclusion, but from the maps I'm reading the gulf waters have been in the mid 70's. To have a strong hurricane, the waters should be at least in the lower 80's

looks like mid-upper 80s to me

usatlant.cf.gif

Srsly said:
looks like mid-upper 80s to me

Me too. Either the temperatures in the gulf rose immensely over the past 3 days when I looked at the map or I was looking at one that was outdated. Wouldn't surprise me considering I saw it on weatherchannel.com. I don't know why I still bother with them for weather maps

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
perfectchaos007 said:
Don made landfall. Already down to 35mph winds. Time to focus on what's about to be TD Emily in the Atlantic

Don was pathetic. Hah.

Emily has her eyes set on me. Good. Some thrills =P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom