• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hypoallergenic dogs

• Thread starter Deleted member 81567
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Presco

They're not very tame dogs either. My cousin had two and a friend of the family had two (they died) and now have three. All of them were/are maniacs and that's after training. My dogs were calm and gentle, even with very young children but the Miniature Schnauzers weren't/aren't. My other cousin also had a Bichon and he was the same way as mine.

This is bullshit. A dog that is a maniac was not trained and/or socialized properly, simple as that. I have a schnauzer poodle cross and he is about the farthest thing from a maniac that you can imagine. This dog could play in a library. He has never barked at or shown aggression to another dog or person. He's not a fan of snowmen or Halloween decorations though; those will get a low growl.

edit - Too OP, I'm extremely allergic to dogs and any other animal really, but I have zero problems with my dog or any other poodle cross. That said, he needs a bath whenever he's been playing with other dogs cause I definitely notice it then.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I'm emailing inerest for Wesley, the westie. Hopefully I get an application.

Not to hijack or anything but I always wanted a dog but I work from 9-6 m-f and on fri and sat I'm usually out all night, would it be cruel getting a dog if they are going to be alone in my apartment for all that time?

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Not to hijack or anything but I always wanted a dog but I work from 9-6 m-f and on fri and sat I'm usually out all night, would it be cruel getting a dog if they are going to be alone in my apartment for all that time?

Maybe not if you spend all the remaining time with it.

TommyT

s51xR.jpg

Bichon Frise seconded. They're easy to live with.

An ex of mine, her roommate had one of these. Both of them had some type of dog allergies however with this dog never had any issues.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
s51xR.jpg

Bichon Frise seconded. They're easy to live with.

I'm actually considering this now. A friend of my sister's had a Bichon Frise and I didn't notice any reactions.

Downhome

I am fine with almost all dogs, but I'm allergic to cats...and my wife loves them, had three before we got married. Any thoughts on any hypoallergenic cats we could look into? Other than the hairless breeds...

As for dogs I'm allergic to, it's the ones with very fine fur. For example, one of my nieces shows dogs and her breed of choice is the Papillon - I'm pretty darn allergic to those.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
No luck yet; can anyone give me names for any adoption centers in Queens (specifically Flushing)? Or any other breeds I can search?

Wallach

I have a Labradoodle as well, and she's an awesome animal. Big and strong; probably too much so for some homes. Friendly as any dog could be, though.

Bread

Banned
Bichons are the nicest dogs, I've had 3 so far and each one has been awesome. They're good with kids, and are just nice to everyone. Don't get one if you don't like being licked in the face though.

Sister-in-law has a bichon frise specifically because she has dog allergies and has had no issues. Incidentally they also grew up with sheepdogs and had no problems, I don't know if they're generally known as hypoallergenic.

muu

How bad are weiner dogs allergy-wise? My stepdad's had a miniature dachshund all his life, I had zero problems with the dog being around me but found out later that I had fairly strong allergies (3 on a scale of 4 at the allergist's office, whatever that's supposed to mean. The bump on the dog was no comparison to the mountain that formed on the 4/4 cat test).

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Well, adopting a hypoallergenic dog is out of the question. I guess I have to buy one. Damn, if only they were a bit cheaper.

V_Arnold

Yorkshire Terrier. I mean..look at our wonderful, 13 year old Sindy:

QYPqE.jpg

Yep, really "human-like" hair. You need to work on it sometimes to keep it clean, but that is part of the responsibilities one gets with a companion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom