• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Historia, The Zelda 25th anniversary art book.

It is very interesting that, in the manga artwork, the background Link (Hylia's "chosen hero"?) is wearing a scowl eerily reminiscent of Ghirahim's attire. Perhaps that's reaching, but either way, I hope someone with a pure heart buys this thing and translates it.

Big One

Banned
It is very interesting that, in the manga artwork, the background Link (Hylia's "chosen hero"?) is wearing a scowl eerily reminiscent of Ghirahim's attire. Perhaps that's reaching, but either way, I hope someone with a pure heart buys this thing and translates it.

It's probably gonna become some BS plot about how the hero of the past turned into Ghirahim

Grisby

This is false:

100b.jpg

In all it's hand watercolored glory.
I have that somewhere. So good.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I wish Nintendo would try put up the facade of being an international company. If they did, this would come out in the markets that support the franchise first.

Platy

Sheik was "male" in the game too. At least he is if you define Sheik as the personality that Zelda adopts as opposed to being Zelda herself. I mean, just look at the official character portrait. It's pretty obvious Zelda was pretending to be male, given how she transformed her figure.

b7IdU.jpg

So yeah, it's canon, anyway.

Yeah but no, she's a she.

Oh god not this again.
SHEIK HAS A PENIS.

Sheik is a disguise. A costume. If a girl dresses up as Mario, that doesn't make Mario female. Sheik isn't Zelda, Sheik is a male disguise worn by a woman.

I CAN'T TAKE THIS IN EVERY ZELDA THREAD !!!!!

...so ..... I made a thread SPECIALY for this stuff

Have fun

I really hope I didn't spoil Skyward Sword for myself just by seeing that last image. Possibilities are already running through my head. D:

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Artwork for the individual games:
Legend of Zelda - 4 pages
Link's Adventure & Link to the Past - 2 pages
Link's Awakening - 1 page
Ocarina of Time - 6 pages
Majora's Mask - 3 pages
Wind Waker - 10 pages
Oracle series - 6 pages
Twilight Princess - 32 pages
Phantom Hourglass - 4 pages
Spirit Tracks - 22 pages

:/ Two of the most visually uninteresting Zeldas get the most pages.

Based on that manga image, I'm betting ten dollars on the following scenario as a backstory to SS (possible end-game spoilers)

The original "Hero" with the pointy ears made sweet, sweet love to Hylia, thus creating a "heroic" bloodline that could vanquish Demise as necessary, while she turned herself into a mortal in order to live peacefully among her people. Therefore, the "romance" between Link and Zelda is really a continuation of the love between the Hero and Hylia.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Based on that manga image, I'm betting ten dollars on the following scenario as a backstory to SS (possible end-game spoilers)

The original "Hero" with the pointy ears made sweet, sweet love to Hylia, thus creating a "heroic" bloodline that could vanquish Demise as necessary, while she turned herself into a mortal in order to live peacefully among her people. Therefore, the "romance" between Link and Zelda is really a continuation of the love between the Hero and Hylia.

Wouldn't that technically make Link Zelda's son?

TekDragon

Banned
3 pages total on LttP and Links Awakening, yet 32 pages on TP?

Uhhhh... no. That's not a "Historia", it's an advertisement.

Wouldn't that technically make Link Zelda's son?

Indeed. Let the awkward discussions of Oedipal complexes commence!

In actuality, it's probably better to suggest that the Hero's "spirit" reappeared in the form of SS Link, just like Hylia's spirit reappeared in the form of Zelda.

I'll agree about Spirit Tracks, but I'll have none of your nonsense about TP being uninteresting!

It is a shame that the older games are getting shafted, but that seems natural. Things get lost or discarded over time. Sadly, they probably never intended on releasing something like this until recently.

Big One

Banned
The book apparently really will contain the timeline as in, the Zelda timeline, the one fans been debating about for a while now. The whole section with it is dedicated to pages and pages of chronology about the series according to the table of contents. So yeah prepare for shitstorm

Sheik was "male" in the game too. At least he is if you define Sheik as the personality that Zelda adopts as opposed to being Zelda herself. I mean, just look at the official character portrait. It's pretty obvious Zelda was pretending to be male, given how she transformed her figure.

So yeah, it's canon, anyway.

I'm out. Can't keep reading crap like this. Yes we get it. Zelda disguised herself as a man and called herself Sheik. That doesn't mean she was a man! Why is this so hard for people to understand? Are you guys intentionally being difficult?

DarkKyo

I'm out. Can't keep reading crap like this. Yes we get it. Zelda disguised herself as a man and called herself Sheik. That doesn't mean she was a man! Why is this so hard for people to understand? Are you guys intentionally being difficult?

Zelda in disguise is a female. However the entity/character Sheik is a male. How is that hard to understand?

If I'm cosplaying as a girl character at a convention even though I'm a dude, is the character that I'm cosplaying as a dude? Obviously not. I'm a guy dressing up as a girl. The character I'm dressed up as is still a girl even though the guy playing them is a dude.

The book apparently really will contain the timeline as in, the Zelda timeline, the one fans been debating about for a while now. The whole section with it is dedicated to pages and pages of chronology about the series according to the table of contents. So yeah prepare for shitstorm
Just curious, but how true is this BTW? Is there a link for this?

Do we know it's not just a timeline of the games? Like Zelda 1 -> 2 -> 3.

Granted, that section does take up an awful lot of pages...

Bullza2o

I must have this! I would really consider buying one if it gets translated into English. If not I'd pick it up when I go visit Japan...someday.

Forkball

NOPE. Twilight Princess had a great artstyle. I know a lot of people don't like the more reserved colors and blurry textures especially after Wind Waker, but the graphics really suit the game and TP had a lot of memorable places and character designs.

Anyways, this looks amazing. I hope they include never before seen art, because I could just google "Zelda art" and find enough.

Also not related at all, but another game I would instantly buy an artbook for is Muramasa.

Zelda in disguise is a female. However the entity/character Sheik is a male. How is that hard to understand?

If I'm cosplaying as a girl character at a convention even though I'm a dude, is the character that I'm cosplaying as a dude? Obviously not. I'm a guy dressing up as a girl. The character I'm dressed up as is still a girl even though the guy playing them is a dude.

But Sheik isn't a previously established character that Zelda co-opted.

onilink88

Th-thirty-two pages of TP and the official timeline theory?! I'd sell my body to buy this! I know Viz released a box set with ten volumes of the mangas. Don't know if they'd consider bringing this over, though.

BUT DAMNIT, I NEED TO HAS!

I'll be preparing for mistranslations that get passed round for years to come as well...

Akira is ridiculously detailed. It looks like an Escher woodcut at times.
Nausicaä too. Then again it being done on A4 format and drawn in pencil commands more detail. Plus it didn't exactly have the deadline matters that most manga run into. Something like that Zelda one needs to a cash grab while Skyward Sword is still relevant essentially.

Top Bottom