• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Hyrule Warriors Legends] Linkle is insultingly stupid

Thoraxes

Is poking fun at a female character who gets lost and won't ask for directions sexist? Because in the US that is stereotypically a very 'male' thing to do and be made fun of for.
The outline of negatives against Linkle's directional skills is me personified 100. I can't find shit even with a map.

The outline of negatives against Linkle's directional skills is me personified 100. I can't find shit even with a map.

You are not alone. An old friend of mine goes to the wrong way with google map pointing the (right)direction, all the time.

That said, Linkle is a net of anime cliche and has zero actual personality... On the other hand, Link doesn't have many either.

Jackano

Outside the first point which is true, I think OP is taking things too seriously.
The whole thing is light-hearted.

Ansatz

I can understand if people are disappointed in Linkle's personality when you think about her as the female version of Link and that she is potentially playable in Zelda U.

I see nothing wrong in her as a character though, it would only be a problem if most females in video games were depicted this way.

Not

Banned
I dunno... haha. I kinda like that video. I know they'd never show Link doing that, but they've never shown Link having any kind of personality whatsoever. Not every character has to be competent.

If we had another different female Link character doing the exact same shit, then we'd talk.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I can understand if people are disappointed in Linkle's personality when you think about her as the female version of Link and that she is potentially playable in Zelda U.
Maybe the Linkle in Zelda U will be a Linkle from a different time period than the one in Hyrule Warriors. Problem solved.

One thing this thread did was make me want to watch some Ranma 1/2

SoulUnison

Banned
You're scum. That guy is a 35 year old pedophilic individual who dresses in tights and sprinkles people in confetti. He belongs in an asylum.

Wow, that's...certainly reading a lot into a pretty innocuous side character.

Like...seriously. What the fuck, man?

You are not alone. An old friend of mine goes to the wrong way with google map pointing the (right)direction, all the time.

That said, Linkle is a net of anime cliche and has zero actual personality... On the other hand, Link doesn't have many either.

There's a difference between being full of cliches and having no personality. Linkle clearly has a personality that comes out in her mannerisms and generally how she acts. Just because it's cliche doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Link on the other hand...well, it depends on the game, but he generally doesn't really exhibit anything distinct

CorvoSol

Link gets lost in dungeons all the time, despite having a map and compass, so

also, Hyrule Warriors is like, THE Zelda game to flat out say at one point "Link got cocky" so

Jackano

I dunno... haha. I kinda like that video. I know they'd never show Link doing that, but they've never shown Link having any kind of personality whatsoever. Not every character has to be competent.

The closest equivalent of Link being lost using a map and a compass will be the player being stuck in a (traditional) Zelda game.
Maybe people don't like Linkle's baka attitude because it is a unconscious reminder of some shameful gaming memories :)

How can she be the Hero when we already have the Hero? The game's core plot was written two years ago and we already saw Link was the Hero. We know Link has the Triforce, and we know Zelda did too. That's why those two were the ones who mattered in the end, and not some random Hylian chicken farmer.

The fun thing about prophecies and destinies is that there can be more than one of them and they don't all have to refer to the same person.

Tingle

The fun thing about prophecies and destinies is that there can be more than one of them and they don't all have to refer to the same person.

No, it can't be Linkle. The main story establishes that Link and Zelda were the ones in the prophecy. Just like every other Zelda game, its not the side characters who are the destined heroes, its the two who actually face Ganondorf each time. The side characters just help those two on their way, and Linkle is no exception. Her entire purpose is to emphasize that point, she isn't the one in the prophecy, its always Link. The story also plays with the whole prophecy detail with Cia being heartbroken by Link and Zelda being fated together. Linkle is basically the same story with another spin. Linkle can't be the hero (because we have Link), and Cia can't have Link (because we have Zelda).

It is always the same person in Zelda, and Hyrule Warriors emphasizes that more than anything in its plot.

I really don't understand how people can get worked up about things like this. It's a game that in the end isn't trying to be anything else but dumb fun, I don't think it matters how a video game character is portrayed.

I'm now sure that if we were to ever get a female link in a mainline Zelda game we'd see some people thinking something they do with her is sexist in one way or another.

Jackano

No, it can't be Linkle. The main story establishes that Link and Zelda were the ones in the prophecy. Just like every other Zelda game, its not the side characters who are the destined heroes, its the two who actually face Ganondorf each time. The side characters just help those two on their way, and Linkle is no exception. Her entire purpose is to emphasize that point, she isn't the one in the prophecy, its always Link. The story also plays with the whole prophecy detail with Cia being heartbroken by Link and Zelda being fated together. Linkle is basically the same story with another spin. Linkle can't be the hero (because we have Link), and Cia can't have Link (because we have Zelda).

It is always the same person in Zelda, and Hyrule Warriors emphasizes that more than anything in its plot.

You're just jealous because Tingle don't have story scenarios involving a ship with the Great Fairy.

More seriously, those new scenarios are added content, I think this is too much to ask if you wanted a full badass story like a full-fledged Zelda game.
This is merely an introduction for Linkle, and if you remember she's here only because of the fan reaction to the concept arts. That's more than enough for now.

PtM

Banned
I really don't understand how people can get worked up about things like this. It's a game that in the end isn't trying to be anything else but dumb fun, I don't think it matters how a video game character is portrayed.

I'm now sure that if we were to ever get a female link in a mainline Zelda game we'd see some people thinking something they do with her is sexist in one way or another.
Which is very likely, to be honest.

kubus

Haven't played the game but the stuff described/linked in the OP seems like harmless fun to me. As others have mentioned already, it's a pretty common anime trope. She seems capable enough with the crossbow. Now, if she also had the "can't fight for shit but somehow defeats all enemies by accident" trait (Usopp+Zoro fusion), I would say her character would be a bit disappointing. But that doesn't seem to be the case.

But I have to thank the OP for making this thread though. Thanks to it I was reminded of how good One Piece is and I think I'll pick it up again :D.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

All Nintendo do when they finally contemplate to make a female Link is to take one look at this thread and off they go, "Nope."

I mean, geezzz.

I kind of agree with you, OP. Looks like they just wanted to make her SO RANDUM LOL XD KAWAII DESU MOE and "cutely stupid". But I mean, what can you expect when she doesn't even have her own name and is just a derivation of Link :p

Everything you listed makes her more cute and fun.

Case in point.

What would the difference be between a hypothetical "perfect" Linkle and Impa? We already have a courageous, intelligent, powerful warrior female. Linkle would just be Impa, but a little less serious, which is kind of boring.

Amalthea

Banned
Tell me what was "anime" about Zelda 1.
Zelda totally borrowed its style from anime. Just not the kind of anime that people in the US know. Google Yoichi Kotabe, that guy basically invented the style that Zelda copied. Wich is kinda ironic since he later became a Nintendo employee.

Pilgrimzero

Zelda totally borrowed its style from anime. Just not the kind of anime that people in the US know. Google Yoichi Kotabe, that guy basically invented the style that Zelda copied. Wich is kinda ironic since he later became a Nintendo employee.

Are you talking about the art? I'm talking about the actual game which is very D&D western fantasy stuff.

You won't find stuff like Tingle or or more Japanese culture-y and mannerisms stuff in the old Zeldas.

Just replayed Linkle's first mission, the narrator outright calls Linkle's map imprecise.

So yeah, the op has even less ground to stand on.

einer51

Let's be clear though, she's a Dynasty Warriors character that was signed off to be featured as a side character in a Zelda-painted Dynasty Warriors game.

Are you talking about the art? I'm talking about the actual game which is very D&D western fantasy stuff.

You won't find stuff like Tingle or or more Japanese culture-y and mannerisms stuff in the old Zeldas.

How can gameplay be anime? What does that even mean? Like I said, Japanese media borrows from Japanese media. It's pretty presumptuous and a very western-centric view to assume it borrowed from the western D&D, considering it had next to none of the stat keeping, RNG, or "role playing" that D&D did. It was simply a fantasy setting

SkyOdin

There is nothing particularly D&D or Tolkien inspired about the original Legend of Zelda. Final Fantasy 1 is a game that is overtly D&D inspired, but not Legend of Zelda. The Legend of Zelda was the product of the imagination of its Japanese creators. Sorting out all of the inspirations of those creators is something that is better done by asking them directly, but it certainly doesn't boil down to a concept as simple as "they borrowed a ton of tropes from western fantasy".

D&D style western fantasy is a very specific body of work with a ton of distinct tropes and cliches. None of those are found in the Legend of Zelda.

As someone with a sense of direction so bad I sometimes get lost in my own neighbourhood (and get made fun of because of it regularly), I resent the idea that that equates to stupidity. :p

To be fair, give me a map and a compass and I'll find the way to anywhere you want even if I've never been there (my keychain is a working compass for this very reason). The missus is the opposite, she can remember her way to anywhere she's been in the past few years once, but she's utterly unable to decipher a map. Combine both of our negative traits and you would have someone like Linkle, I guess.

Violet_0

Banned
in the west, the old cliche of the driver who gets lost but is too proud to admit it and to ask for direction is traditionally a male trope

stuminus3

When I first saw Linkle's victory animation my first thought wasn't "this is offensively sexist", it was "someone is going to have something to say about this on the internet".

As someone who personally considers himself an "SJW", I find that to be quite a disturbing realisation. I appear to have somehow trained myself to find offense where there is none.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
I was just shown that this thread made me famous :)

Hi, James, want an interview about perfect women?

Jesus, that article is dumb. Apparently underwear that covers the butt is "diapers"?

"SJW [is] a derogatory term for those that are eager to support a good cause but have little to no understanding of consequences or human rights." Okay, what?

Dude goes on to equating sexist depictions of women in media to gay rights? What?

That dude has been drinking the kool-aid a bit too hard. Don't give him clicks.

Top Bottom