• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors |OT| Why are the enemies not doing anything?

ibn0b1pSrRD43Q.png

huhbGAP.png

Referred to as a "celebration" to the Zelda series by Nintendo. It's a Warriors game (as in for instance Dynasty Warriors) except it's entirely Zelda-themed (with characters from Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, as well as a few unique characters). Also, it looks like it's going to be pretty awesome.

MxEdFKW.png

Hyrule Warriors is Wii U-exclusive, silly. Release dates as follow:

Japan - August 14, 2014
Europe - September 19, 2014
Australia - September 20, 2014
North America - September 26, 2014

OTaKmxq.png

i9U3rDMZ06iNh.png

+ As of October 16th; Link can also use Epona (paid DLC; see DLC section further down).
ibmFswniaC1mJ.png

+ As of November 27th; Zelda can also use the dominion rod (paid DLC; see DLC section further down).
inAqBa3pvET0B.png

iivIkpUeorX8M.png

iThrr9cVEMjXX.png

iEXDjJxeaNR9p.png

ixRFNm1TsKglS.png

iqAkEHKx8c6y8.png

i16eF4vLRBG1d.png

ibxbTn0hzqCVaX.png

ib0hKSAoeQOkl4.png

ibbiw48qhFLiKY.png

iliAWKN3PulrG.png

As of October 16th: Cia, Wizzro and Volga are also playable (free DLC; see DLC section further down).
As of November 27th: Twili Midna (Midna's "true form" as seen at the end of Twilight Princess) is playable (paid DLC).

Note: each weapon has its entirely own moveset!

771BxXV.png

tumblr_n9tfvsP3Be1qjfcy0o1_500.png

LAPOjOG.png

Coming soon! Maybe. Now three more of them will be playable soon. And the rest are big bosses that I don't want to spoil! If you want to spoil yourself; they're right here: http://zelda.com/hyrule-warriors/.

zUKetuc.png

I was going to put text and sparkly images here but then I realized that one should probably just play the game instead and not get every single detail spoiled. There's boomerangs, bombs and stuff -- what do you expect? Probably red potions too, yeah, most likely red potions.

SbA8WiP.png

There are quotes and comments on the reviews in the fancy official review thread. Also features a dancing Darunia, one thing that this here OT is lacking. Please donate any spare rupees so that I can afford to purchase dancing Darunia's. Thank you for your donations!

MEgWQUw.png

Coming soon! For now, check out this awesome trailer. Actually you know what, that's probably the only trailer you'll need.

9vMqDVu.png

Here's a Youtube-playlist with all the songs!

This is the best one. Miyamoto said so*.

*Source: the source is written in Chintaw language, so unless you have a Chintaw-English book lying around we can't translate it, I'm afraid.

So5PFnt.png

DfzXmV8.png

If you live in Japan, you can get this beauty:

Otherwise, you're going to have to settle for an overpriced scarf:

vNNvpgR.png

There are the costume sets, which are currently retailer-exclusive pre-orders. There are three sets: Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. Each set will give you costumes for Link, Zelda and Ganondorf. This DLC will also be up on the eShop!

wVZfjBc.png

All of the DLC inside the quote below is available for pre-order for 15 euros, $20 or an equivalent of that. $500 in Sweden, probably.

Playable Villains FREE DLC
September 30 (JP), October 16 (EU/NA)
- Free playable three villains
- Can turn on/off cut-scenes.

Hyrule Warriors Master Quest:
September 30 (JP), October 16th (EU/NA)
- 1 new weapon (Epona for Link; screenshot below)
- New Scenario (The Black Witch Cia; five stories that occur in tandem with the original story)
- Adventure Map (Appears to be a whole, big master quest version of the map; screenshot below)
- 2 Costumes (One for Lana and one for Cia)
- A new rank of weapons as well (Looks like a lot of weapon have gotten new 8-bit versions)
- Also a whole lot of new costumes for other characters; mostly re-colors with a few new details

Twilight Princess
November 27 (Worldwide)
- 1 new character (Twili Midna; this is Midna's "true form" as seen at the end of Twilight Princess)
- 1 new weapon (Dominion Rod for Zelda)
- Adventure Map (Twilight Princess-themed)
- 2 Costumes (Postman costume for Link and Ilia costume for Zelda)

Majora's Mask
January 29 (EU/JP), February 5 (NA)
- 2 new characters (Tingle & Young Link; screenshots below)
- Adventure Map (Obviously Majora's Mask-themed)
- 3 new costumes (Speculation: Ocarina of Time Sheik costume for Sheik, Skull Kid costume for Lana or Zelda and Ocarina of Time Impa costume for Impa; screenshot below)

Ganon Pack
February (EU/JP), March (NA)
- 2 New Game Modes (One that lets you play as Ganon, one new challenge mode where you try to defeat all the bosses)

2014-09-26: The weapon for the first DLC (Master Quest) has been announced! It's Epona!

2014-09-30: A bunch of new details regarding the Master Quest DLC has been added to the list above. This is the new master quest adventure map:

2014-11-21: Twilight Princess DLC details:

H9teXxR.jpg

The second DLC pack for Hyrule Warriors will be available on 11/27! In this pack, you’ll get Twili Midna as a playable character, a new weapon for Zelda, a Twilight Princess themed Adventure Mode map, and two additional costumes including the Postman costume for Link.

l_546eeb1931220e5ew6.jpg

l_546eeb239815ahoend.jpg

l_546eeb1650a8d3wfo9.jpg

2014-11-27: Version 1.4.0

The maximum warrior level is now 150!
You can now carry up to 999 of a single type of material!
New mixtures have appeared in the Apothecary!
New medals are waiting to be won!
You can now receive amiibo presents! Touch an amiibo to the GamePad while on the title screen to get a random bonus. An amiibo can give you only one present a day, but you can receive up to five presents if you use five different amiibo!

2015-01-14: Majora's Mask pack details.

Young Link and Tingle are the new characters for the Majora's Mask pack! Releases Feb 5th for NA, unsure when for Europe, probably same date.

Young Link is totally cute though.

b97116a3cb48596becef7b48b10d4389.png

Becomes Fierce Deity Link temporarily (unsure if this only happens during special attacks/when some meter is filled or if it's part of regular combos too).

32c8dde3c59a79a54727b5dc8d99c576.png

And Tingle is also totally... cute. Hmm.

3b0a9777b5e6b009c01bb8cb5bfffbc9.png

1c4e751477e7d469349b700f3a2ddaf9.png

Three new costumes. Speculation: Ocarina of Time Sheik costume for Sheik, Skull Kid costume for Lana or Zelda and Ocarina of Time Impa costume for Impa.

e98ae3dcf3d6f99502596b655f2926e6.png

2014-02-17: Ganon Pack details

Boss Challenge Mode: Defeat the big bosses in the game for high scores. Can get costumes for Lana, Link, and Zelda as rewards.
Ganon Play Mode: Play as Ganon, earn high scores by destroying the battle field. Costumes for Ganondorf and Cia as rewards.

m9vht9p.png

tumblr_n6z6mqPqA61qfdyyho1_500.gif

tumblr_n6ypo25M3Y1r7oiino1_500.gif

insta.gif

WOoyJey.gif

More gifs!

AquPeN1.png

For this I have to thank me, myself and I, thank you very much I've been working 24-hours a day for the last month making this OP.

Thanks to RPGCrazied for pointing out that there are character portraits, jonno394 for linking the press pack and all of ya'all who posted gifs, comments and who are awesome just in general.

ZeroAKA and Gamerloid updated the character gallery to what it is now! They took the text I wrote, added some more text and put a nice font on it, making it much more concentrated and better-looking! Also, redid the banner a little bit too! Thanks!

As of 2014-09-18; I've fixed all the headers.

Original placeholder OP

Alternate thread title:

I thought the title was supposed to be "A Link between girls" :(

O5fNqHo.png

Bx-YquYIEAAjsBW.png

b4gmd6D.png

3a053e9b1072935c49a08fc3f5ef8ffe68bbfb9c8013a88e63649617c1f012fb.jpg

Just kidding! Ask away in the thread and also, check out these websites for all the (biased) info you could ever need:

zeldawiki.org/Hyrule_Warriors
http://zelda.com/hyrule-warriors/

zlCfzSbQsxc9Z5yWCc

Sendou

Yeah I do wonder why so few people care about this game. Oh well. Cancelling my pre-order today after disappointing reviews.

Ow man i just thought that a gaffer was still working on it, I thought we had this :O
If I knew that I would have made the OP.

Anyway expecting to pick my copy up tomorrow, I'm really looking forward to it.

Tiu Neo

Why are the enemies not doing anything? Play on hard!

Hyped for this. 9 days for me. Why can't Nintendo release this Tuesday like everyone? ;_;

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Yeah I do wonder why so few people care about this game. Oh well. Cancelling my pre-order today after disappointing reviews.

Wut? I don't think that reviews will be so disappointing. Ok, it is a Musou game, not so popular in the West, but from what I can tell (and I can't tell too much, for few hours) it's a good Musous and hack&slash game. I enjoyed it. Room for improvements, but really hope KT will release additional DLC characters in the incoming weeks :)

mclem

This is unfortunately timed, given I'm off on holiday for a while very soon, so won't really have a chance to hit the game around release... and they've just announced Legend of Grimrock II at a point which nicely coincides with the time I return home. But I swear I'll get around to it! Sometime!

HowZatOZ

Banned
I haven't played a Dynasty game in ages! I'll definitely grab Hyrule Warriors, looks awesome and I love the Zelda setting.

I'm looking forward to this, having watched a lot of GameXplain's footage of the Japanese version I know what I'm getting into.
I actually stopped playing Dynasty Warriors 8 shortly after buying it because I knew I'd burn myself out on the mousou gameplay going into Hyrule Warriors, it happened to me back in the PS2 days when I played a lot of Dynasty/Samurai Warriors and Devil Kings.

I'm mostly just glad I'll have something to take the edge off waiting for Smash Bros.

L~A

Ha ha, if you're expecting good reviews for this game, and are basing your purchase decision on that, you might as well cancel your pre-order right now.

TimeKillr

Reviews for a Musou game are bad by definition unless you're Jim Sterling because no god damn journalist understands these games besides him.

Seriously, do *not* count on reviews for this. A lot of people are clueless and dismiss them as just exercises in button mashing while it really is much deeper than that.

There *are* bad Musou games - Hokuto Musou 2 is particularly bad (I liked the first one, but they took away everything that made it unique) but they are all different enough that they feel like variations on a concept.

Gameplay wise, Dynasty Warriors != Samurai Warriors != One Piece Warriors != Hokuto != Gundam Warriors != Warriors Oroch != Hyrule Warriors. They all differ greatly. At first glance, they all have a similar feel, but their underlying systems are all different. Combos, progression, weapons, skills, etc. are all wildly different for each game.

sthelegend

Neo Member
Thanks for making the OT, was wondering what was going to happen to it.

Big fan of the Zelda and Musou series so can't wait till friday
or thursday if i get it early :)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Ha ha, if you're expecting good reviews for this game, and are basing your purchase decision on that, you might as well cancel your pre-order right now.

There are 2 benchmarks to compare against: W101 and Destiny. So let's see how it fairs. My bet is on 75-77.

Mael

It's out in France.
It's in Micromania and Fnac at la defense in Paris.
French Zelda Gaf you can start your gaming.

EhoaVash

...i played the gamestop demo. did not like what i played. so much low textures in the environment, jaggies everywhere beside your character, enemies clipping everwhere, spawning infront of you etc ..ugg

also the gameplay :/ ... its troubling to fight a blocking lizardfos using zelda wait and attack tatics when a whole horde of mob goblins are gang banging you from all side.

i did like the zelda touches here and there

I was wondering where this was too, is it because its coming out later in the US perhaps that there hasn't been the same level of interest?

My limited edition complete with scarf is on its way. I know about the performance issues in gamepad multiplayer but me and my GF are looking forward to it anyway.

From the huge amount of Zelda content I've seen in Gamexplain videos, this game is worth it for the fanservice alone. Man, you can play as Zelda, Gannon, Midna... being fun (and I believe it will be) is just a bonus.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Does anyone know how much the game will be on the UK eShop? I'm not sure on it but I might bite if the price is ok digitally.

39.99 reduced to 34.99 if you have already bought another game from Zelda series on eshop. The download code is (or was when I bought it) 32.99 at game.co.uk though,

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Decided to wait, since I want to finish Xenoblade off. I've already taken far too long on it as a result of other games.

Jawmuncher

I was getting excited thinking I missed something and the US was getting it this friday.
Oh well will wait another week. I do have stuff to play until then.

Zalman

I already received my Ocarina of Time DLC code. Didn't even know I was getting it, so that was cool. I wish I got Skyward Sword instead though.

I can only play one musou game every four years before burning out.

Sorry, Dragon Quest Heroes, I'm using it up for this.

Couch co-op will save it, co-op will save us all.

What are the chances Amazon prime will have it before the following Monday?

Top Bottom