• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors | Review Thread | Oh! Oh-oh! C'mon! What a hot beat!!

Riki

The reviewer seems to have no idea about the Wii U and it's games. HW is neither the first Zelda game on the system nor is it a Zelda game at all.
A game journalist/reviewer not knowing a thing about games? Shocking.

Don't worry about the Metro review. They are infamous in the UK for trying to be Edge Magazine. They pretty-much hate most games.

Their Metacritic stats say it all. They score 84% lower than the average critic.

Mdk7

For the context.

In Short: It always sounded like a bad idea, but although Zelda has inspired one of the best Dynasty Warriors games to date the end result is still well below average by any other standard.

Pros: Slightly more complex combat than usual for a Dynasty Warriors game. Playing as other characters is fun for a short while. Co-op option for all modes.

Cons: Instantly repetitive and horribly shallow gameplay that has very little in common with a real Zelda title. Terrible artificial intelligence and graphics. Short, poorly scripted story campaign.
That's NOT true.
Co-op is a separate mode, just for the Legendary mode.
And i strongly disagree on the story too (i thought it blended very interestingly 3 diffent timelines), but that's a personal opinion of course.

jonno394

Posted this in the OT by mistake.....

Oh Metro, come on....I usually like your reviews but it sounds like you were really expecting something you shouldn't have, ie a proper Zelda game.

Although you use bombs and boomerangs as secondary weapons there are no environmental puzzles to solve with them

But while this may be a good Dynasty Warriors game it certainly doesn’t deserve to be part of the Zelda franchise.

But it absolutely is not a Zelda game and offers almost nothing of value to the usually legendary adventures of Link.

Hip Hop

Not bad.

Haven't really tried a Dynasty Warriors game before. Looks like this will be my first time.

Will pick it up in the future. I'm interested.

Xater

Reading some of these good reviews blow my mind. Why did you hate the really good DW8 except for the fact that it doesn't have Zelda attached to it?

The reviewer seems to have no idea about the Wii U and it's games. HW is neither the first Zelda on the system nor is it a Zelda game at all.

agree with the 2nd part but how is it not the first Zelda on the system?

Are you counting the "even less of a zelda" nintenoland minigame as the first or is there something I've missed?
(also assuming you aren't counting VC releases)

69wpm

Are you counting the "even less of a zelda" nintenoland minigame as the first or is there something I've missed?

Wind Waker? It's a remake / HD remaster whatever, but it's still the first Zelda title on the system.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD

Edit: beaten like a common soldier.

Has it processed for anyone yet that a MUSOU game is getting better reviews than Destiny?

We have reached critical mass here, folks.

FryHole

Reading some of these good reviews blow my mind. Why did you hate the really good DW8 except for the fact that it doesn't have Zelda attached to it?

Who in particular hated DW8 but not HW? Right now on Metacritic HW is 4 percentage points above DW8 it looks like.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Oh, it's up there with the best of Wii U.

I thought the proper discription for a Gamespot-8/10 is just "It's a Wii U game made or published by Nintendo"? However, you need to keep in mind, that some particularly bad reviewers such as Mc Shae don't work there anymore, so I don't know if it's fair to compare.

Couch co-op? Wonder if it's any good?
I think it's the best the game has to offer. On the website I write for, we give two separate ratings for single- and multiplayer and in my second opinion for the game I've given the game 1.5 (out of 10) points more in multi than in single.

wrowa

Props for allowing reviews before the game is released. That is getting rarer these days.

Well, it comes out in Europe on Friday. It's not a day 1 embargo (but Nintendo never has those, I think), but it's still pretty close. :p

wrowa

I think it's the best the game has to offer. On the website I write for, we give two separate ratings for single- and multiplayer and in my second opinion for the game I've given the game 1.5 (out of 10) points more in multi than in single.

I couldn't disagree more. The game actively suffers in co-op mode. Not only due to the graphics turning to shit, but taking keeps etc. actually takes longer due to the decreased amount of enemies on the battlefield. I don't think it's the ideal way to play the game at all.

Exile20

I thought the proper discription for a Gamespot-8/10 is just "It's a Wii U game made or published by Nintendo"? However, you need to keep in mind, that some particularly bad reviewers such as Mc Shae don't work there anymore, so I don't know if it's fair to compare.

Wow, I need to check out the multi

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Well, both points are blown apart by this.

mantidor

Of course. All these other Musou games that actually have more content and stuff are bad. This has Zelda slapped onto it so it's awesome.

Well, if the measuring stick for Musou games is content, you cannot really compete with content from a classic videogame series like Zelda.

JoeM86

Friend's site: Nintendo Insider - 8/10
All in all, Hyrule Warriors sees Koei Tecmo fire on all cylinders to deliver an experience that meets the expectations of each respective franchise. There are evident imperfections, but with such a glut of content to make your way through – especially in Adventure Mode – it proves a worthy foundation from which to build from. Even if Tingle didn’t make the final cut… *sobs*

Where are people getting this "oh noes teh Zelda bias !!!1!" from ?

Dynasty Warriors 8 XL is sitting at 69 on metacritic

Hyrule Warriors as of right now at 73

It´s not like HW warriors is at ...say...90+ or something

USGamer's Jeremy Parish had a 7/10 review here, and GamesRadar had a 4/10 review over there. Might be new experience to see these kind of grades for a Zelda game, but I have on good authority it happens all the time for Musou ones.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I couldn't disagree more. The game actively suffers in co-op mode. Not only due to the graphics turning to shit, but taking keeps etc. actually takes longer due to the decreased amount of enemies on the battlefield. I don't think it's the ideal way to play the game at all.

It may take a little longer, but on the other hand, the suddenly-spawning enemies are an issue (or not so much of an issue, those kinds of enemies are not attacking you anyway) in single player, too and on the other hand the game gets easier anyway if you are playing with two players, so losing a bit of speed when taking over a keep is not problematic imo.

Kinsei

Banned
So Other M like reviews. Eh... I'll pass. I don't like Koei-Tecmo games.

Pls Ninty, don't give Mario to them. :'(

Well, at least unlike Other M this isn't seen as the next Zelda game. It's a fun little spin off (if you like Musou games). Nothing more and nothing less.

Hystzen

So I expect Samurai Warriors 4 which has more content, improved gameplay and shit tons other content get good reviews also right.........right :(

Top Bottom