• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors | Review Thread | Oh! Oh-oh! C'mon! What a hot beat!!

Sadist

People don't suddenly like Musou games, fanservice has just given them a reason to tolerate them.
Weeeellll... I know a reviewer and he was absolutely miffed about this game. He likes Dynasty Warriors and after playing the E3 demo he was sceptical about the game. After playing the review code his opinion did a complete 180. The final game is pretty damn amazing. Sure, it has it's normal DW flaws, but the game feels more polished compared to other DW games. Nintendo pushed Omega Force and Team Ninja in the right direction.

Mesoian

The reviewer seems to have no idea about the Wii U and it's games. HW is neither the first Zelda on the system nor is it a Zelda game at all.

First original game, let's not succumb to semantics here.

And if this were just another standard Musou game, most people, me included, wouldn't even be interested, don't short change that stuff.

You know what the sadest part is? Some of the reviewers expecting a full Legend of Zelda game here when Hyrule Warriors is clearly an spin-off. I mean it doesn't even have the name in the title. Its like saying that the Tingle games are full Zelda games. Its unprofessional if you ask me. :/

Polygon
Team Ninja and Omega Force have forced Zelda's universe into the confines of a beat-em-up, but much of the charm and appeal was strained out in the process.
Wut, the game is oozing with charm. I can get the appeal thing, Dynasty Warriors isn't for everyone, but this game is not lacking in charm, especially for hardcore Zelda fans.

tebunker

Banned
So I have stayed pretty much in the dark on this game. I wasn't sure I wanted musou mixed with Zelda. The reviews are heartening, and I am always looking for more couch co-op for the wife and I.

However we are in to Diablo 3 on ps3 right now so is there really any incentive to get this now? I mean even though it is published by Nintendo what are the odds it goes down in price like say Wonderful 101 did. Granted I don't expect it to bomb like that either. I just worry that around Christmas I might be able to get a better deal on it.

SoldnerKei

If I enjoyed Saint Seiya's musou I am hella sure I'll enjoy this one, now time to wait another week before playing it :c

Mesoian

You know what the sadest part is? Some of the reviews expecting a full Legend of Zelda game here when Hyrule Warriors is clearly an spon-off. I mean it doesn't even have the name in the title. Its like saying that the Tingle games are full Zelda games. Its unprofessional if you ask me. :/

I think that's REALLY apt, because I think that's what most people who are excited about this game are in for. I think a lot of people are going to be in for a real surprise when they pop the game in on the 26th, start playing, and realize that it's just another Musou game with a lot of Zelda trappings.

I think there are a LOT of people who don't actually understand what they're getting into.

Only of you could play characters from the Zelda games.

You could play as link and Samus in DW7 (DW7? DW8?) Didn't save that game.

Kinsei

Banned
I think that's REALLY apt, because I think that's what most people who are excited about this game are in for. I think a lot of people are going to be in for a real surprise when they pop the game in on the 26th, start playing, and realize that it's just another Musou game with a lot of Zelda trappings.

I think there are a LOT of people who don't actually understand what they're getting into.

I agree. It sucks that this is going to happen even though Nintendo has made it very clear multiple times that this is a spin-off with gameplay unlike any Zelda game.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Yeah, it's a little hypocritical to see all the love for a game that's a Dynasty Warriors reskin. Let's see them give similar scores to other Warriors titles in the future.

Reviewers: "It's about Zelda? Hmm, 8 out of 10." ... "Dynasty Warriors? Auto-5 out of 10."

agree with the 2nd part but how is it not the first Zelda on the system?

Are you counting the "even less of a zelda" nintenoland minigame as the first or is there something I've missed?
(also assuming you aren't counting VC releases)

You've missed The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Nintendo and Koei-Tecmo showed a lot of times what this game is about.That's as much they can do. Customers being uninformed/not understanding doesn't excuse reviewers being the same.

Yeah, it's a little hypocritical to see all the love for a game that's a Dynasty Warriors reskin. Let's see them give similar scores to other Warriors titles in the future.

Reading the reviews (especially Jim's) the game seems to be more polished than your usual DW game.

FryHole

Reviewers: "It's about Zelda? Hmm, 8 out of 10." ... "Dynasty Warriors? Auto-5 out of 10."

You've missed The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD.

So, I've already asked Xater, I'll ask you too because I'm genuinely interested. Is there a good example here of an actual hypocritical outlet like you describe? Eurogamer seem to be consistent, at least. You could save me some time if you've already spied one.

jonno394

I've never played a Musou game before, and yes i'm only excited about this because of the Zelda Trappings, but I know exactly what i'm letting myself in for after watching loads of footage (be it treehouse or people on youtube with teh Japanese version).

The biggest selling points for me are:

-Fanservice
-Sexy Ganondorf

Really ? I could understand that If they game.... idk...would have been named

"The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Warriors" .....but the title kinda should give it away that this is not a normal Zelda.....no ?

Again:

The Metascore for HW is exactly 4 points higher than DW8XL´s . Are we really complaining about that ?

Watching some import gameplay of this and man it looks like Link is doing the same combo over...and over...and over. With one special move he does sometimes. This could be the uploader but I really hope there is more to it than that one single combo.

This is the video I was watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_3HPW_vy3Y

yes, there is more to the game than a single combo. Its like watching a street fighter match where both players just do hadokens the whole time and saying "that's it?"

NotLiquid

So it's one of the better Musuo games with the added bonus of being based on Zelda, but it's still just a Musuo game?

Fair enough assessment. Thankfully I've never played one so this should be a good entry point.

I honestly expected higher than normal Musou scores simply due to the fact that it's full of LoZ fanservice, and so far that's what I'm seeing (outside of Polygon and Metro).

Mr-Joker

Banned
The reviews are okay for the most part except for Metro who clearly missed the point that Hyrule Warriors is a spin off Zelda title rather than being a core Zelda title.

Did they actually think that Nintendo was going to release two core Zelda title for the Wii U?

So I have stayed pretty much in the dark on this game. I wasn't sure I wanted musou mixed with Zelda. The reviews are heartening, and I am always looking for more couch co-op for the wife and I.

However we are in to Diablo 3 on ps3 right now so is there really any incentive to get this now? I mean even though it is published by Nintendo what are the odds it goes down in price like say Wonderful 101 did. Granted I don't expect it to bomb like that either. I just worry that around Christmas I might be able to get a better deal on it.

It's a Zelda title I would assume that prices won't be dropping any time soon.

Refugio

So, I've already asked Xater, I'll ask you too because I'm genuinely interested. Is there a good example here of an actual hypocritical outlet like you describe? Eurogamer seem to be consistent, at least. You could save me some time if you've already spied one.

Just glancing at Game Rankings and Metacritic the review averages looks to be the same as most Warriors games(high 60s low 70s). Difference looks to be that more of the big websites are reviewing this one. Which makes sense as there's like 1 retail Wii U game a month and those Nintendo editors have to review something.

These review scores are MUCH higher than I was expecting. Awesome! Looking forward to picking this up. I enjoy the DW series but haven't played one in a loooong time, so this is a good game for me, I think.

There is a Saint Seiya Musou!?!?! :O I need it.

Saint Seiya Sanctuary Battle

220px-SaintSeiyaSanctuaryBattle.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Seiya:_Sanctuary_Battle

FryHole

Just glancing at Game Rankings and Metacritic the review averages looks to be the same as most Warriors games(high 60s low 70s). Difference looks to be that more of the big websites are reviewing this one. Which makes sense as there's like 1 retail Wii U game a month and those Nintendo editors have to review something.

Aye that's what I saw, too. There just seems to be this suggestion flying about that some individuals/outlets have gone "DW? shit. HW? Awesome!" and I'd like to know which ones. I fear I may end up disappointed.

Also, edit to say: it's not even like it's intrinsically dodgy behaviour, as the world and lore of the game you're playing undoubtedly counts. I might get this at some point cos it's Zelda fan-service, but never had any interest in the others. What would be dubious is criticising the fundamental gameplay in one review and being ok with it in another.

Astral Dog

So its getting mixed reviews, i dont get the complaints here, the game does seem more polished than the typical game in the genre, they got the fanservice right too, its not like its getting 9 s and 10s :p

Volotaire

Those review scores are higher than I expected too. I'm still wary about getting this, I've never played a Dynasty game before. I'll perhaps wait for the Holiday season.

If this didn't have Zelda characters I bet it would have been 6's across the board. I don't need reviews of a game that's just some good old fashioned, mindless fun. Hopefully it'll be slightly cheaper once Smash is out so I can buy it along with a Wii U

Mesoian

So its getting mixed reviews, i dont get the complaints here, the game does seem more polished than the typical game in the genre, they got the fanservice right too, its not like its getting 9 s and 10s :p

Let's put it this way, I wish this game was less like a Musou game, and more like a KUF game.

But that's not what it is. We're never gonna get that.

::Sigh:: We're never gonna get that.

Xater

Aye that's what I saw, too. There just seems to be this suggestion flying about that some individuals/outlets have gone "DW? shit. HW? Awesome!" and I'd like to know which ones. I fear I may end up disappointed.

Also, edit to say: it's not even like it's intrinsically dodgy behaviour, as the world and lore of the game you're playing undoubtedly counts. I might get this at some point cos it's Zelda fan-service, but never had any interest in the others. What would be dubious is criticising the fundamental gameplay in one review and being ok with it in another.

It's hard to do an exact comparison with recent DW games because a lot of these outlets have stopped to even bother reviewing them. GameInformer would be a prime example though, it even has the same reviewer for DW8 and HW. The entire reasoning is that it's Zelda and therefor better.

FryHole

It's hard to do an exact comparison with recent DW games because a lot of these outlets have stopped to even bother reviewing them. GameInformer would be a prime example though, it even has the same reviewer for DW8 and HW. The entire reasoning is that it's Zelda and therefor better.

Ok, ta. I appreciate the reply. I think it's a reasonable stance to take, the reviewer still lambasts what he considers repetitive combat but finds it more enjoyable due to the world and lore. It reflects my own (wavery) interest in the game. I can see how it would grate if you were a fan of the game mechanics though.

jg4xchamp

Platinum has two games coming out this year, and Aztez still might make a holiday run. I'll save my money for better beat-em up games.

wrowa

Characters are a huge part of the package though, and if you don't care for DW's setting it can be hard to care for any of it. There's of course a certain "Zelda fanservice bonus" going on, due to a lot of people actually caring for the world and characters, however I don't think that's necessarily wrong.

It should be noted in the review then that the Zelda fanservice is an important part of the appeal and that you might won't like the game as much if you don't care for Zelda, though.

Top Bottom