• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am addicted to Spelunky!

Yuripaw

Banned
m4cCzEc.jpg

Man XD 24 hours on record, and over 23 of those were in the past 2 weeks alone. I can believe it...even with a few new releases coming out this past week that I was looking forward to, I keep finding myself booting up Spelunky, trying a few rounds, getting frustrated then quitting, then after a while booting up again to give it another try.

What's frustrating is I've played it this long and I still haven't beaten it! I got to the boss after the 4 area once, and that's it. I don't know if I love this game, or hate it, but man it keeps sucking me back in either way.

It's good and very addictive but I find if I don't play regularly, my performance on the daily challenge drops. So I just don't bother any more. Another thing I found was that I am getting so far that doing a practice run kind of exhausts me so much that I don't feel up to doing the daily challenge afterwards.

m4cCzEc.jpg

Man XD 24 hours on record, and over 23 of those were in the past 2 weeks alone. I can believe it...even with a few new releases coming out this past week that I was looking forward to, I keep finding myself booting up Spelunky, trying a few rounds, getting frustrated then quitting, then after a while booting up again to give it another try.

What's frustrating is I've played it this long and I still haven't beaten it! I got to the boss after the 4 area once, and that's it. I don't know if I love this game, or hate it, but man it keeps sucking me back in either way.

One of the best games I've ever played. Love it, and glad to know that others are enjoying it just as much! :)

The worst is getting hit on the first floor, and most of my first hits happen there.

But its structure makes it so easy to hop into again and again.

Since I have this on my Vita my break is now officially called "I'm at my work and I must scream". Damn you arrow traps! Love this game.

Jb

I am too, and yet I haven't managed to beat the final boss once :( It's not even like he's intrisically very difficult, but the 1 hit kill + how hard it is to get through the temple keep defeating me.

shink

The best I've gotten to is 2-1. I feel the same about this game, I don't know if I like it or hate it.

PKrockin

Good timing, I was just thinking about buying it. I enjoyed the free version a few years ago and Psychedelic Eyeball's stream got me interested in it for the Vita. I'm a little worried it might go on sale soon, though...

The slightest mistake can fuck you over so quickly in this game it's hilarious.

Tobor

I wish I'd known before hand the levels had a timer(the ghost). It's not fun for me as a result.

Had I known, I wouldn't have purchased it.

demidar

I am addicted to teleporters and killing shopkeepers. It's a real problem.

Most of my end game deaths come from not being careful enough with the alien rifle, but I can't help the power getting to my head.

I don't think I'm any better, but I still find enjoyment in it for some reason. Maybe I'm a masochist? lol

For me it's the fact that death can unexpectedly come at any moment of your run:if you don't plan every step you make carefully, you'll die right away;sometimes you just can't help it though:the youtuber I posted died from a weird behaviour of a chest physics once. (and once he lost his cape upon entering the temple, but thats just a bug)

Rogue-lites tend to be like that, it's just that in spelunky you are much more frail than in other games. (such as binding of isaac)

PKrockin

I wish I'd known before hand the levels had a timer(the ghost). It's not fun for me as a result.

Had I known, I wouldn't have purchased it.

I don't like timers either, but from my experience with the free version you really shouldn't be spending that much time in the levels that the ghost becomes a threat...

Tobor

I don't like timers either, but from my experience with the free version you really shouldn't be spending that much time in the levels that the ghost becomes a threat...

I like to take my time and explore the levels. Every time I've played the ghost has been an issue.

I want to look for treasure, not haul ass to the exit.

Haunted

I keep coming back to the daily challenge (with mixed results).

Yet to complete hell in the PC version, I wonder if it's because my skills got rusty or I don't have as much time to invest into it compared to the 360 version.

Still a fantastic game.

edit: ya, the ghost is easily outrun, it's not like it's an instant death when you spend more than 2:30 in a level. The balance between exploration and a sense of urgency going forward is what gives Spelunky additional risk/reward balance.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome game, one of the best rogue-likes around, so good choice of addiction OP! Smh at those hatin' on the ghost

demidar

I keep coming back to the daily challenge (with mixed results).

Yet to complete hell in the PC version, I wonder if it's because my skills got rusty or I don't have as much time to invest into it compared to the 360 version.

Still a fantastic game.

edit: ya, the ghost is easily outrun, it's not like it's an instant death when you spend more than 2:30 in a level. The balance between exploration and a sense of urgency going forward is what gives Spelunky additional risk/reward balance.

Dragging your feet finishing a level makes dark levels more likely. And fuck dark levels, especially if there's spiders.

I used to play the freeware version while listening to old gfw radio episodes. Made it through the whole run of the show that way. Spelunky HD has daily challenges, so it is basically just a part of my day now. Probably my favorite platformer of all time.

Yuripaw

Banned
For the past few hours, I tried changing my tactics, and stop playing it where I'm picking up every thing, and instead I'm trying to get through levels as fast as I can. Not really working out any better, lol. I gotta wonder, has anyone ever gotten the Beat the game in under 8 minutes achievement?

Xater

I had it on XBLA, but the Vita version is the one that really got it's hooks in me. I pick it up all the time to do a quick run.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I've been playing the Vita version every once in awhile. Lots of fun, but I have to wonder if I'll ever get better at it. Can barely get to the jungle with every attempt.

Tobor

you can manipulate the ghost to boost your score though

Like I said, I just wish I had known. I can't stand timers. I didn't read any reviews, which is my fault, and none of the podcasts I listened to mentioned a timer when they discussed the game.

Anyway, I'm not trying to ruin the thread, just needed to vent. Carry on.

Bedlam

I kinda gave up in the last area. I'm just not man enough for the temple, I guess. Shit is really hard (and annoying).

I like to take my time and explore the levels. Every time I've played the ghost has been an issue.

I want to look for treasure, not haul ass to the exit.
I'd be really interested in seeing you play, because the levels aren't large enough that it should be a constant concern, so I'd want to see where the time is being eaten up. The ghost itself isn't that much more of a deterrent than most other traps in any given level, its pursuit is fairly slow and not very difficult to manipulate. In fact the ghost makes for better treasure, as any it passes turns to diamond.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I am addicted to Spelunky!
m4cCzEc.jpg

Man XD 24 hours on record, and over 23 of those were in the past 2 weeks alone. . I cant believe it...

Uh-huh
LaH1iA2.png

EU4 is out for 3 weeks btw.

Grinchy

Banned
I am kinda addicted to it lately too. There's nothing worse than having a great run and doing something stupid to throw it all away. And yet, there's nothing better either haha

I wish the Vita verrsion tracked your playtime. I'm pretty curious about how much time I've spent on the game already. I've only gotten to the boss a few times in 300ish deaths. I really dislike the temple.

watchdog

I'm addicted to this game too. I've put in a little over 20 hrs with this game and still haven't beaten it. I've made it to the fourth level a handful of times but always get completely owned. The challenge and the ease of getting into the game is what keeps me coming back to it over and over.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I've been to the city of gold once ONCE

never seen hell at all. done almost everything else though.

Played it on the Vita. Aside from a few issues (for one, the shopkeeper has a very sensitive attitude). I absolutely hate the fact that you have to keep finding specific requirements for the Tunnel Man in order to have a "shortcut" which is insane. I have cleared the 2nd level multiple times simply because I lack the "shotgun" to fulfill such requirements.

I'd like the fact that game is challenging but it is extremely counter-intuitive when you "force" a goal on someone multiple times considering none of your gold carries over when you die.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The only downsides to the Vita version are slowdowns in blizzards, and fog levels. And no daily challenges. And sometimes you don't hit RT hard enough.

Still great, but yknow.

Brilliant game.

And the game needs the ghost on the levels. It's just as an important aspect of the difficulty as anything else. Roguelike influenced games needs the types of pushes. It's just the same in FTL.

anddo0

I'm addicted too:
sp1_zps08deb4d6.png

I've been playing the PS3/Vita more since they came out. I'm working on getting the shortcut to the fourth area.

Top Bottom