• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am very frustrated with Rogers (cable/Internet company in Canada)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montresor

I used to pay Rogers (my ISP and cable company) $90 and change per month for the following:

60 Megabits per second Internet
200 GB bandwidth
Basic cable TV (channels 2-28)
HD PVR box (with rental fee waived)
Modem/Router combination (with rental fee waived)

This is a deal that is supposed to last until December 2017. 1 or 2 months ago I called Rogers because my local sports team (Toronto Maple Leafs) was playing a game on a channel outside my basic cable package (channel 30). So I called to ask how much it would cost to add that channel.

The lady told me it would cost nothing. She would change me from a package called "Basic Cable TV" to "Basic Select". I would lose zero channels according to her. And I would pay zero extra per month. But I would gain channels like TSN and CNN.

So I said yes and I watched my hockey game that night. Initially I noticed I lost a channel: "Sportsnet One". It was a pretty good channel but I chalked it up to the lady making an honest mistake. "Whatever" I said. And I just moved on. I noticed my bill was $100 that month, and the online app is so fucking confusing, I couldn't tell exactly why the extra $10 was being added. I usually pay a little late so I assumed it was a late fee.

I've carried a zero balance all of this month with Rogers and my bill came due. It was $100 AGAIN and it couldn't possibly be because of any late fee.

I call the company and learn that the lady I spoke to was mistaken. It did cost extra money to move to Basic Select and I was supposed to lose channels moving to Basic Select. I ask them to do the reverse exact opposite of what the lady did for me a couple of months ago. So that I could go back to channels 2-28, re-gain Sportsnet One, and go back to paying $90 and change per month.

The guy on Support told me he can't do that because the old 2-28 cable package I had is not offered anymore. So now I am fucking stuck with this fucking cable package paying an extra $10 per month for what amounts to almost NOTHING. I still don't have "Sportsnet One", I don't even watch CNN and TSN at all (I just stick to Sportsnet and CBC News) and they won't let me revert back to the old package.

The guy told me he literally can't do anything. Ugh. This is the second time Rogers has screwed me. Two years ago I used to pay 90 and change for the following:

60 Megabits per second Internet
320 GB bandwidth
VIP cable TV (channels 2-100+)
HD PVR box (with rental fee waived)
Modem/Router combination (with rental fee waived)

They told me that would last until 2024 and then out of nowhere in 2015 they cancelled the package/promotion and out of nowhere I saw my bill was almost $200 per month. I had to call and complain and bitch until they gave me the deal I described at the beginning of this post.

I'm just frustrated. This company makes it so difficult for me to like them.

Fuck Rogers. I left them long time ago. I am so happy. I am not paying them dime. I try to find alternate at all the cost. Fuck Rogers. Get out of that horrible company.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Fuck Rogers. I left them long time ago. I am so happy. I am not paying them dime. I try to find alternate at all the cost. Fuck Rogers. Get out of that horrible company.

it just sucks bell / rogers own all the infrastructure in the toronto area... pretty much guarantees that most options you choose, those dirtbags will profit no matter what

N° 2048

it just sucks bell / rogers own all the infrastructure in the toronto area... pretty much guarantees that most options you choose, those dirtbags will profit no matter what

Pretty much and the smaller guys just wholesale off Rogers/Bell.

youta

TekSavvy sent me an email a few days ago, stating that due to cheaper wholesale network access they'll be reducing my bill by $1. Nothing earth-shattering, but a nice gesture. The last time Rogers or Bell changed my bill in good faith was... well, never. So screw them.

N° 2048

TekSavvy sent me an email a few days ago, stating that due to cheaper wholesale network access they'll be reducing my bill by $1. Nothing earth-shattering, but a nice gesture. The last time Rogers or Bell changed my bill in good faith was... well, never. So screw them.

Yea and they had to fight tooth and nail for this to happen. TekSavvy is trying their best to take care of their customers, which is why I will stick with them.

99Luffy

Banned
Sounds like you gave up too quickly. The guy should have transferred you to his boss.
And you should have said "So now youre charging me more because you LIED to me??"

Pakkidis

You do realize that the woman was not "mistaken" right? They train their customer service staff to do things like that. Would not surprise me in the least if they get bonuses for jacking up the price on peoples bills.

I have rogers, I pay 140 per month for digital TV, unlimited internet, and home phone.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
They always do shady shit like that.

When I was signing up for internet, I asked the lady if she had any addons for basic cable. She came back and said she could add it on for $4 extra on top of my internet. I said that sounds too good to be true, is there a catch like it being for a limited time or a contract. She said no catch, that's the price I would pay and could cancel anytime.

Fast forward 3 months and the $4 jumped up to $30. When I called back to ask what the hell happened they had no record of me speaking to anyone and they said they don't offer basic cable that cheap so the plan got jacked up. I said that's their problem, not mine. If they can't match the old price they damn well better cancel the cable.

Took over an hour but they did it. It sucks how they do shady shit like that which is borderline lying to scam you into signing up. Not to mention it takes like 5 minutes to get signed up and over an hour if you wanna cancel something.

You do realize that the woman was not "mistaken" right? They train their customer service staff to do things like that. Would not surprise me in the least if they get bonuses for jacking up the price on peoples bills.

I have rogers, I pay 140 per month for digital TV, unlimited internet, and home phone.

Yup. I worked for Bell TV but the principle is the same.

Customer service costs money and they wouldn't even do it if they weren't forced to. So they demand upselling to make up costs.

There used to be good bonuses, but even those got nerfed. By the time I left it was more or less "sell on calls or lose your job".

Montresor

I left this out of the OP. But I lost my cool and hung up on them.

I told them, Hey wait a minute. I have a contract that forces me to pay $90 per month until December 2017. Wouldn't I get a penalty if I cancelled? Why are you suddenly allowed to jack up my price to $100 and still force me in this contract until December 2017?

I had enough at that point. I said please completely cancel everything and void any cancellation fees. Cancel the cable and Internet. He said he couldn't do that but he could transfer my call to some other customer service representative.

At that exact moment my brother with his two small children knocked on my door. And inside my head I said I've had enough of this shit. I want to hang with my brother and his kids not deal with this.

So I refused to be transferred. I then got really bitchy/loud and said "No it's New Year's Eve and I don't want to deal with this right now. I want to sit down and play a game with my brother. You do the legwork and make sure to cancel everything and void all cancellation fees. You do that. Don't transfer me. And I'm ending the fucking call now" and then I hung up.

jstripes

Banned
jsI0NlF.jpg

Too lazy to photoshop the Rogers logo in there.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Rogers and Bell are both as evil as corporations can get. I've noticed that going to Twitter and complaining there usually makes a difference, if there's one thing these companies are scared of, it's negative exposure on social networks.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Just get an unlimited plan from someone else and subscribe to that NHL streaming package. It must be cheaper in the end.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
5927194691.png

And it's just $50 cad a month.

Loving beanfield.

Wow, are they resellers?

Edit: I see they own their own network. Are there any IP video providers like Sling or Vue in Toronto?

You'll find absolute horror stories across all the big 3 telecom companies but yeah that sucks balls. Roger's cable shit is very oddly handled at times. I'm sure they're excited to dump it all when they switch to the comcast IPTV services.

Fuck Rodgers
Fuck bell
Fuck videotron
Fuck Telus

I feel your pain OP, here in Montreal I use a small ISP for Internet and that's it, don't need cable

I get cheap and fast internet, no fuss no muss

Kieli

Oh, I guarantee the service rep knew.

Our family tried to cancel our mobile phone subscription, and the service rep said he would cancel it after a LONG conversation of trying to convince us not to cancel. Dude sounded choked because we were probably over his failure quota or whatever.

2 months later, we get a bill from Bell and we're like, wtf? So we call them and they said our phone plan was never cancelled.

For fuck's sake...

shira

Robbers plz.

IISANDERII

They always do shady shit like that.

When I was signing up for internet, I asked the lady if she had any addons for basic cable. She came back and said she could add it on for $4 extra on top of my internet. I said that sounds too good to be true, is there a catch like it being for a limited time or a contract. She said no catch, that's the price I would pay and could cancel anytime.

Fast forward 3 months and the $4 jumped up to $30. When I called back to ask what the hell happened they had no record of me speaking to anyone and they said they don't offer basic cable that cheap so the plan got jacked up. I said that's their problem, not mine. If they can't match the old price they damn well better cancel the cable.

Took over an hour but they did it. It sucks how they do shady shit like that which is borderline lying to scam you into signing up. Not to mention it takes like 5 minutes to get signed up and over an hour if you wanna cancel something.
Pro tip life hack #3:

When a customer rep offers something, or you're wanting to change something on your account, the best thing to insure you're not screwed over is to ask the rep to document your account in detail with all that was discussed. Tell them you have to think it over, consult your significant other, whatever and you'll call back.

So when you do call back, the next rep you talk to should just read the notes and know exactly what was discussed and everything included in the offer so you know it's legitimate. If she doesn't, you know the first rep was full of bullshit. Also, third party vendors are notoriously untrustworthy and they cannot note your account so this method weeds them out too.

This has always worked for me. I used to work for one of the big monopoly 3.

Lexxism

5927194691.png

And it's just $50 cad a month.

Loving beanfield.
Holy shit. $50 for 250 down and 250 up? Ugh that's an amazing price.

Checking the availability, it seems like they are focused on servicing high density condos. And I can't seem to check if my area is available.

Checking the availability, it seems like they are focused on servicing high density condos. And I can't seem to check if my area is available.

Yeah, a lot of (new) condos get great internet service, and doesn't require Rogers and their bullshit service.

Montresor

We did it! I called Rogers a second time and they reverted me back to my old plan.

No more TSN but who cares. Leafs games are primarily on CBC and Sportsnet anyways. And Leaf playoffs games will be on Sportsnet and CBC. Good riddance to TSN.

I have Sportsnet One back.

And I'm back to paying $90 per month (instead of $100).

yyzjohn

Banned
We did it! I called Rogers a second time and they reverted me back to my old plan.

No more TSN but who cares. Leafs games are primarily on CBC and Sportsnet anyways. And Leaf playoffs games will be on Sportsnet and CBC. Good riddance to TSN.

I have Sportsnet One back.

And I'm back to paying $90 per month (instead of $100).

Oh God what have you done?

Yep. Got the same email. Our bill went down $6!

The company I used to work for had a couple offices in Canada and we had to get our aircards through Rogers and they were the absolute worst. I didn't have to deal with them directly, but my coworker who dealt with all the mobile devices bitched about them constantly.

Zips

Never heard of Beanfield before. Any history of how they treat their customers?

Currently with Teksavvy, and they've been very nice and have OK prices. Better than Rogers etc. at least. Beanfield sounds like a dream if they treat customers well and aren't likely to start enforcing caps and overages, or jacked up prices and all the other junk the big companies do.

Apathy

The only company in Canada I ever dealt with that actively tried inserting fake charges onto my bill multiple times. Rogers can fuck off

LakeEarth

Rogers phone support will constantly screw you over. Try your best not to deal with them.

My wife's mother racked up a bill with them, but when they sent it to collections, they put it under my wife's name. They don't even have the same first name! It made buying a house difficult, and repeated calls to get this resolved.

Flux

I use Teksavvy, it uses the Rogers network. They recently lowered their prices to stay in accordance to the CRTC guidelines. I think I am currently at $40/mo unlimited on their fastest line.

When I had Rogers for cell and internet, it was unbearable.

Entropia

No One Remembers

Yeah they only do newer condo builds unfortunately.

Riptwo

In the early days after Fido had been purchased by Rogers, I signed up with a City Fido mobile plan that gave me a ton of minutes as long as they were local. They somehow signed me up to THE WRONG CITY, which meant that every single call that I made counted as long distance.

When I received a bill worth half a grand, their solution was that I should pay it immediately and they'd eventually sort it out by crediting my account. Stellar!

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Fuck Rogers. Garbage ISP with horrible policies. Some of their cable guys are shit too.

LakeEarth

I use Teksavvy, it uses the Rogers network. They recently lowered their prices to stay in accordance to the CRTC guidelines. I think I am currently at $40/mo unlimited on their fastest line.

When I had Rogers for cell and internet, it was unbearable.

Yeah, I remember Teksavvy sent an email saying something like "you're monthly bill is getting cheaper. No this is not a scam".

EDIT - I just noticed their deals for Cable internet got better. I might bump up my 18 up / 0.5 down to 30 / 5 for just a couple bucks more. 200GB is a just little too low though.

Brandson

Consider whether cable TV is really needed anymore. I dumped it in 2008 (also in Canada), and feel like my quality of life improved as a result. You can then subscribe to unlimited internet instead and reap the benefits of that.

Yep. Got the same email. Our bill went down $6!

I'm with Start Communications (start.ca) and we got an e-mail last fall saying our monthly bill was going to be reduced by $5. Sometime around December we got another saying it would be reduced by another $10. Our Internet is now $15 cheaper than when we first signed up! When does that ever happen with Rogers or Bell?

Anyone in Southwestern Ontario should check them out, they've been great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom