• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I canceled my next-gen console pre-order. Launch titles do not hype me

Oppo

Rational choice.

I'm happy for you, congrats

Good for you, I guess?

more or less my thoughts...

these "I don't like X" threads, I just don't know what you want to discuss, OP? is it rational to wait? of course. but this is GAF. we are not all that rational ;)

I just never know what the point is to announce your disinterest. it's a gaming enthusiast forum. do you want people to convince you otherwise? not trying to thread whine, I'm genuinely wondering what you want to get out of this.

I'm not jumping in right away, will wait at least till E3 2014 to get a PS4. I am entirely happy with my PS3 and PSV currently.

Aren't there more launch titles to be announced? Why would you cancel a preorder this early when there are more games and details to come?

Sendou

more or less my thoughts...

these "I don't like X" threads, I just don't know what you want to discuss, OP? is it rational to wait? of course. but this is GAF. we are not all that rational ;)

I just never know what the point is to announce your disinterest. it's a gaming enthusiast forum. do you want people to convince you otherwise?

Use your imagination. There's plenty to discuss even if the OP doesn't read like "discuss the thing X".

Aren't there more launch titles to be announced? Why would you cancel a preorder this early when there are more games and details to come?

I highly doubt there's a significant game coming we don't know of.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'm not at all a MP competitive player by any stretch, but I have fond enough memories of BF2 on PC that I will not hesitate to play BF4 with friends online on a launch console.

I'm crossing fingers that at least a mixture of NFS, AC4, Watch_Dogs, and Killzone also make the early investment worthwhile. But I totally sympathize not being wholly enthused by just these offerings.

Oppo

Use your imagination. There's plenty to discuss even if the OP doesn't read like "discuss the thing X".

like what? help me out here

I'll take a stab at it - Gaikai. Will not be available until 2014, after launch on PS4. how big a deal would this be? will it be the part that "completes" the vision of the console? I do wonder about that myself. Seems like a huge part of Sony's strategy will not actually be in place for christmas.

WoolyNinja

Both the PS4 and XboxOne have some of the strongest looking launch titles I've seen and I've been around for pretty much all of them. I'm not sure there's ever been better launch lineups.

Not only are you getting some decent 1st party games but 3rd party seems much more prepared for this console launch than the last one.

The decision to preorder a PS4 was a pretty easy one for me.

antitrop

Yeah I bet the decade old Source will let you unleash the true potential of that card!
Even better, it will run just fine on my current card before I even upgrade!

Is that post seriously an attempt to discourage me? I don't get it.

I have waited almost 3 years. No more waiting for me. 3rd party games are what I want anyway. To get PC-ish versions of AC, BF, NFS, etc ... that's all I want.

My gaming PC should last me for a while but I really just don't enjoy certain types of games on it.

I highly doubt there's a significant game coming we don't know of.

But we don't know for sure. It just seems a bit rash to me. Each to their own I guess

Quixz

Wish I was as strong as you man. I Currently cannot stand these old machines, I need a hit of that new console smell!

I'm holding on to my preorder until at least closer to launch, though, I'm having a hard time justifying the purchase right now. I've been sitting on the fence since E3. Practically, I have no good reason to buy it, but I have in irrational curiosity in the new platform after so many years.

Wow... now I feel like a chump for pre-ordering. I should be sensible and wait until next year when more games are out like Opie.

Then again, if I got it day one, I'd be able to move the PS3 into the bedroom so we could disconnect the annoying laptop that's precariously balanced on the blacks-only clothes hamper.

Also, not a poor.

Ghost23

The only reason I want one towards launch is to play battlefield with my buds. I have a PC that can run it, but none of my friends do. Decisions decisions....

Granted I was hyped by the next gen console unveil and bought into to hype of pre-ordering.

2 weeks later I pondering and said ''hmmm, none of the launch titles or Q4 titles for that matter garner my interest'' ''I will wait''

I rather wait until Gaikai is fully operational in 2014

tumblr_m938flFbhd1rs8qqyo1_500.jpg

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
There is little sense in picking up a console before the first 6 months of its life span. I'll probably nab one around e3 of next year.

I'll probably wait until MGSV is released.

And I'm still thinking about Wii U. Pikmin 3, new DKC and Mario game; plus I need to catch up on a few Wii games I missed out.

Or a 3DS. I'd love to play Luigi's Mansion, Mario 3D Land, DKCR, and the new LTTP2.

Yeah, I feel the same. I pretty much paid off an entire PS4 off some trades, I think I'll cancel and get a Wii U when Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze comes out. Will probably end up sticking with PC + Wii U + 3DS until something good comes out for PS4.

Granted I was hyped by the next gen console unveil and bought into to hype of pre-ordering.

2 weeks later I pondering and said ''hmmm, none of the launch titles or Q4 titles for that matter garner my interest'' ''I will wait''

I rather wait until Gaikai is fully operational in 2014

Well, the console is not likely to be any cheaper then, but you'll have that money to use until then I guess.

Hattori

Banned
Console launch day only occur every 5-8 years or so. Missing out on that awesome experience is going to be tough OP, especially when that day comes and you're on the outside looking in...

nizerifin

Banned
Is it rational to wait? Not really. Depends where you derive utility, I guess. Getting the console day one makes a lot of people happy. Having the newest thing makes people happy too. Can't fault them for that. If you're going to buy a next-gen console next year it probably won't hurt to get it at launch, as long as you have the money. Unless, however, getting it at launch lowers your utility, in which case, you should wait.

See what I'm getting at? Do what makes you happy, OP.

NotLiquid

It's funny. People say "they've waited long enough" when I'm personally at a point where I feel the complete opposite. This gen has gone on for so long and so much quality games and content have turned this gen into the biggest gaming has ever been. Instead of being eager anticipating future technology, I for one feel like I'm only just beginning to experience all the unique stuff that's been coming out. Maybe I'm just outgrowing this stuff.

I'm really in no rush for some better specs either and I agree that the launch games are kind of weak. I don't get the sense that I'll miss out on much if I hold off for a price drop.

patsu

I preordered because I enjoyed playing with the early users. They were enthusiastic and helpful.

I will always remember GAF's RFOM clan (Kittonwy, Aeon712, BobTheFork, Beatbox, and so many others). Too bad some of them have been banned here. 8^(

Sendou

Even better, it will run just fine on my current card before I even upgrade!

Is that post seriously an attempt to discourage me? I don't get it.

Exactly! Well not really. I just hope Titanfall doesn't end up being an Origin exclusive that's all.

statham

I can totally see why people would wait, just about all the big games are also releasing on PS3/360, the Destiny/TitanFall/Watchdog/MGSV/ect. plus GTA5. We even know Fallout is getting a current gen version. They can wait until a pricedrop or two. understandable.

antitrop

Exactly! Well not really. I just hope Titanfall doesn't end up being an Origin exclusive that's all.
FUCK. I didn't even think about that.

Ugh, I've already accepted my Origin fate because I will be playing Battlefield 4 and I already play Battlefield 3. I just despise it.

Sendou

FUCK. I didn't even think about that.

Ugh, I've already accepted my Origin fate because I will be playing Battlefield 4 and I already play Battlefield 3. I just despise it.

Honestly I think Source might be the saving grace here. I haven't heard of a Source powered game not on Steam.

kitsuneyo

Smart move OP, I'm not buying PS4 yet either. Wii U and PS3 have enough to entertain me until the PS4 catalogue gets better.

Top Bottom