• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I canceled my next-gen console pre-order. Launch titles do not hype me

Wow... now I feel like a chump for pre-ordering. I should be sensible and wait until next year when more games are out like Opie.

Then again, if I got it day one, I'd be able to move the PS3 into the bedroom so we could disconnect the annoying laptop that's precariously balanced on the blacks-only clothes hamper.

Also, not a poor.

Separate but equal!? THIS IS THE REAL TRAVESTY HERE.

kinggroin

Banned
Granted I was hyped by the next gen console unveil and bought into to hype of pre-ordering.

2 weeks later I pondering and said ''hmmm, none of the launch titles or Q4 titles for that matter garner my interest'' ''I will wait''

I rather wait until Gaikai is fully operational in 2014

Feel ya mengbro. Just not seeing a single title that makes me want drop the kind of bread they're asking.

...maybe Crimson Dragon. Maybe.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Good deal. There honestly is no real rush to get one if there's nothing at launch that interests you.

I just hope you can easily get one when you actually want one. I should think they will be readily available within a reasonable time, if not immediately or immediately after launch. There will always be cancelled pre-orders to grab somewhere, or some after launch somewhere.

Futureman

My roommate is so hyped for PS4 but he's the same way. He has no idea what game to get. He definitely just wants a shiny new toy. But I guess if you plan on buying one within the first year anyway and have the money, why not?

Pandacon

Personally, I don't see the point in waiting till 2014. The price isn't gonna drop, they most likely won't have any hardware revisions, or it'll be minimal. Might as well get it now, and enjoy all the next-gen glory.

Logash

Got Assassin's Creed and Knack reserved. I can understand people waiting, but I don't really see a reason I should wait. I doubt the console will lower in price within the first year and I'm going to end up getting it next year if I don't this year so what's the point.

I know that neither of the first party launch line up isn't as impressive but the multiplatform titles make up for it.

I've waited long enough for a new generation and I want some change. Not to mention the fact that the price ain't dropping for these consoles anytime soon.

I just hope AC4, Watch Dogs, Battlefield 4, COD:Ghosts and other titles look better than their 360/PS3 counterparts.

Ushae

Banned
Give it a year, see what games are coming to the platforms and make your choice then. Right now there still isn't a complete picture on how much the new platforms will offer. Sony and MS still a fair few games to announce for the new consoles. We need to see how they perform in real side-by-side comparions. Not to mention there are so many thrid party devs that are yet to make an announcement on these platforms.

Patience my friend.

b0bbyJ03

Even without launch titles, I'm looking forward to playing cross-gen games with better framerates and visuals... and getting my hands on that sexy sexy controller.

100% this

looking forward to BF4 @60fps with 64 player matches
Watch Dogs
Killzone (2 and 3 were fun, im assuming this will be fun too)
FIFA

unbias

I'll be picking up a console as soon as my backlog is done... So probably sometime in the beginning of next year. That is assuming I dont get lost in some mmo.

Spooling13

Neo Member
Each to their own, I'm not getting it at launch due to funds but will definitely pick up a PS4 by the end of the year, Christmas deals etc.

Krakn3Dfx

I want to play Watch Dogs day one. Yeah, I could get it on the PC, I'm using it as the driving force for a PS4 pre-order.

Plus, I've been sitting on this $500 Visa card I got for XMas last year, just waiting for greatness, and now it's almost here.

Unai

I can totally see why people would wait, just about all the big games are also releasing on PS3/360, the Destiny/TitanFall/Watchdog/MGSV/ect. plus GTA5. We even know Fallout is getting a current gen version. They can wait until a pricedrop or two. understandable.

Wait, do we know that?

With a capable pc rig, there's virtually no reason to buy a next-gen console dayone, since the most interesting projects are multiplatform (and cross-gen).

Unless one the already announced exclusive titles is a franchise you particularly love.

I'm tempted by Forza 5 and Driveclub, but possible lack of Fanatec wheels support on XB1 and the underwhelming showing of Evolution's game at e3 are worrying me.

So, no dayone probably for me.

But you know how these things go. Impulse buy and all that.

Forkball

Launch titles are generally terrible except for a few gems. Everyone buys consoles at launch due to hype. Myself included, but still.

My roommate is so hyped for PS4 but he's the same way. He has no idea what game to get. He definitely just wants a shiny new toy. But I guess if you plan on buying one within the first year anyway and have the money, why not?

I went through the same PS4 unveil hype about the shininess and coolness of a new console

but the games, ugh

geebee

Banned
I like it how the OP makes a valid point and yet people are whining about his decision almost as if they're offended.

Bwahaha good on you, gutter_trash. There aren't many launch titles that I'm interested in either.. but I think I'll still keep the launch console. I can always sell it if I really change my mind.

KAL2006

Banned
Felt so tempted to preorder a PS4. But made the right choice not to, simply because I want to finish my backlog. By the time I get a PS4 in fall 2014, PS4 should have a nice lineup and I can pick some older games for cheap, also I may have a backlog of PSN+ games for PS4.

Krakn3Dfx

the underwhelming showing of Evolution's game at e3 are worrying me.

Evolution's Motorstorm demo at E3 in 2006 was pretty underwhelming, but then the final game 6 months later blew people away, and all the Motorstorm games have been pretty awesome. I have faith until they give me a reason not to.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I can post where I want, when I want.

This isn't Communist China.
Relax

El oh El.. You will soon find out that GAF actually is Communist China (well a version)

OP I probably should have taken this route as well. However, in my 30+ years of gaming I've never been a 'day 1' guy. I don't want to miss my opportunity with this GEN so I'm hanging tight to my PS4 Launch edition.

EDIT: Perfectly Tagged.

There are three games I want at launch and all are third party. Diablo III ( so I can okay it with my wife on the couch) assassins creed IV and watchdogs. If D3 ends up being a launch title for the PS4 I'll keep my pre order. Otherwise I'll get AC IV and watchdogs on pc.

Sylver

Banned
If you want to know that I posted on my blog, neogaf and twitter I preodered PS4 this month.
I want to play Killzone + not a very big backlog here. I find early days of any generation pretty awesome because nobody knows shit about any console.
Thnks for reading.

Hystzen

So instead of Dear Diary its Dear NeoGAF

I'm waiting for mine don't feel like being involved in the bugs at launch plus can wait a few months probably early 2014 when Infamous drops

Raw64life

I'm not really interested in any launch games either. I pre-ordered a PS4 with the intention to sell it, but if that backfires I'll just keep it as I plan on buying one to keep eventually anyway.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
No one should buy a console before there are enough games to justify the cost. You may save money and you won't have to deal with launch day headaches. The people I don't get are the ones who have preordered because they just HAVE to have it day 1 but are pissed that there are no games they want. Just wait and leave consoles on the shelves for those that will use them.

GodofWine

I was single when I got my ps3, now I'm married with 2 kids, a cat, a house, and 2 herniated discs and I still have the same console....I need a new console pronto...day 1.

NEO0MJ

I agree with you OP, none of the launch games interest me, at least on PS4. And aside from Infamous neither do the launch window games, which is pretty vague.

Besides, launch consoles are never to be trusted.

ampere

Amazing tag change

I can sympathize with the OP. I'm really excited about the new PS4 hardware and have a preorder, but I'm not sure if there's a launch title I really want to play.

I'll probably just get the thing and play an indie game off PSN if I can't decide on a retail launch title.

My PS+ subscription that's good until 2016 and carries over to PS4 makes my launch purchase a no-brainer, even if I don't end up purchasing a single game for the entire year. "Have you seen the Instant Game Collection collage? Conversation over!"

kadotsu

Banned
My current plan is to see how PS4/XBONE/PC only titles perform on PC and build a new system accordingly next year. After that I'll get a PS4 at the first price drop or redesign. By then any major know unknown hardware issues should be public (i hope there aren't any) and I can make a informed decision. The library should also be quite solid by early 2015.

Top Bottom