• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I cannot help but feel a bit dissapointed about Uncharted 4

BouncyFrag

The half-assed implementation of the rope mechanic gradually got more and more annoying with each tedious climbing/crate section.

Well it's a select few opinions that the majority of people probably wouldn't agree with.

I just mean somehow on GAF there's as much variance in tastes on how the games stack up against each other in this 4 game series as Final Fantasy. It's crazy. And some people try to take away a consensus from these threads (usually Uncharted 3 is trash) which probably isn't the best idea.

Ascenion

I can relate. If video games have summer blockbusters Uncharted 4 is the equivalent of Batman V Superman. You want it to be good, but you had this sinking feeling from the marketing and then it somehow shattered all previous expectations and was bad for completely different reasons.

Zukkoyaki

It could have used more combat and less climbing/walking but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Combat and encounter design were phenomenal in this one so it was a shame there weren't as many. Second best in the series behind 2 in my opinion.

Noobcraft

It didn't grab me the way UC2 did, but I had some fun with it. The crate pushing was terrible, and some of the encounters were really bad on crushing if you didn't go into them with the right weapons. I had to force myself to finish it because the end dragged on so much. I'd give it a solid 8.5/10, but it was definitely worse than Uncharted 2 and probably on par with Uncharted 3 in my book. There was one encounter near the end that I decided to skip altogether because it wasn't fun. The whole "let's throw snipers, charging shotgunners, and noobtubes into the middle of combat scenarios" thing they did at the end ruined a lot of the encounters for me.

Portugeezer

My first Uncharted game, I expected better, a solid 8/10 nonetheless. No chance of GOTY for what it matters.

My brother is a fan of the series and he told me he was happy to just have finally completed it.

entremet

No way this game gets as many game of the year awards as anticipated. It's a good game, but it seemed like a step back after TLOU.

fastmower

I hurts that I have to agree with you guys. The pacing/weird story kills subsequent play throughs. The best thing about the game is the combat (graphics are nice too), and they didn't put nearly enough in the game.

I give the game a B-

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I was pretty underwhelmed with it as whole. Had some nice high points but the game was really jam packed with climbin n talkin sections. Way too many of them.

For me Uncharted 4 is almost as good as U2, I liked the fact that they dialed back the crazy set pieces from U3, which I think is the worst in the series even compared to the Vita version. I was hooked from beginning to end.

Javin98

Banned
My first Uncharted game, I expected better, a solid 8/10 nonetheless. No chance of GOTY for what it matters.

My brother is a fan of the series and he told me he was happy to just have finally completed it.

No way this game gets as many game of the year awards as anticipated. It's a good game, but it seemed like a step back after TLOU.
You guys sure about this? I can't think of any other game that could win more GOTY awards this year. Red Dead 3 most likely won't be out this Fall. The only game I see that has a chance of winning a significant amount of GOTY awards is Final Fantasy XV. But for some reason, Japanese games usually seem to be left behind in GOTY awards. I haven't played it, but Dark Souls 3 seems to be received better than its predecessor, but it doesn't seem to have the critical acclaim of Bloodborne. The Last Guardian is probably too niche for most sites to give the award to.

Then again, Uncharted 4 is my GOAT and I really hope it wins as many awards as possible, so my stance is different.

silva1991

Slightly better than 3 and much weaker than 2

I could''t finish it more than once

I was expecting to to be my GOTY, but a remake like R&C ended up being much better game(finished it 3 times)

it shouldn't be hard for Gravity Rush 2 and TLG to impress me more as far as PS4 exclusives go.

edit: I think I'm the only one who didn't mind the climbing in this game :p

Aters

You guys sure about this? I can't think of any other game that could win more GOTY awards this year. Red Dead 3 most likely won't be out this Fall. The only game I see that has a chance of winning a significant amount of GOTY awards is Final Fantasy XV. But for some reason, Japanese games usually seem to be left behind in GOTY awards. I haven't played it, but Dark Souls 3 seems to be received better than its predecessor, but it doesn't seem to have the critical acclaim of Bloodborne. The Last Guardian is probably too niche for most sites to give the award to.

Then again, Uncharted 4 is my GOAT and I really hope it wins as many awards as possible, so my stance is different.

Deus Ex Mankind Divided had a good chance. Also, the Last Guardian is not niche. It's a critical darling that can easily win the favor of any game site. It won't win any prize for the "player's choice" award though.

Javin98

Banned
Deus Ex Mankind Divided.
Probably, that's assuming it will be an amazing game, though. Does Deus Ex have a track record of critical acclaim? Honest question, never played the games.

Looking at Metacritic, the highest score the series has gotten is 91, I think. This gen, it's generally accepted that critics are far harsher. So unless Mankind Divided brings fresh ideas to the series, I'm not expecting scores above 90.

I was also disappointed but it was still a solid game, those rope sections were just hilarious the way it was shoved in
The pick ax into the rock too later in the game , like they wanted a new way to climb if people hated the regular way

2 > 3=4 >>>> 1

Its done, the series is over and it was a hell of a ride.

reKon

Banned
I can relate. If video games have summer blockbusters Uncharted 4 is the equivalent of Batman V Superman. You want it to be good, but you had this sinking feeling from the marketing and then it somehow shattered all previous expectations and was bad for completely different reasons.

wow... lol

thisisgaf.gif

It'll win GAFs goty. Most people enjoyed UC4. Like most critically acclaimed games, people that disliked it will be the most vocal and continue to question how anyone could like it.

Aters

Probably, that's assuming it will be an amazing game, though. Does Deus Ex have a track record of critical acclaim? Honest question, never played the games.

Looking at Metacritic, the highest score the series has gotten is 91, I think. This gen, it's generally accepted that critics are far harsher. So unless Mankind Divided brings fresh ideas to the series, I'm not expecting scores above 90.

Metascore is misleading. The critics can fall into the hype as easily as people on GAF. Just look at MGSV. But when the hype fades and people start to evaluate the game for what it is, that's when the GOTY is born.

Javin98

Banned
It'll win GAFs goty. Most people enjoyed UC4. Like most critically acclaimed games, people that disliked it will be the most vocal and continue to question how anyone could like it.
Yeah, true. I do hope it's The Witcher 3 of this year in terms of GOTY awards too, though. I mean, last year, the competition was far more aggressive and it still managed to win 200+ awards.

Metascore is misleading. The critics can fall into the hype as easily as people on GAF. Just look at MGSV. But when the hype fades and people start to evaluate the game for it is, that's when the GOTY is born.
Not this again... You know a lot of people do love MGSV, right? In any case, Metacritic scores to factor into which games get nominated. A good example would be how Batman Arkham Knight wasn't even nominated.

Metascore is misleading. The critics can fall into the hype as easily as people on GAF. Just look at MGSV. But when the hype fades and people start to evaluate the game for it is, that's when the GOTY is born.
Metal Gear Solid V was fantastic though. It definitely deserved its metascore.

Croash

I was disappointed by the lack of many huge set pieces because I had expected them.

However the game itself was not disappointing, and now that I've played it once I can enjoy what makes it memorable without constantly comparing it to previous games.

I guess what I am trying to say is that it doesn't really matter that the game is a sequel, it is its own thing and it was great all around.

Also, I've replayed the entire Sam Chase sequence almost 15 times and it doesn't get old.

My thirst for an action-packed game more like U2/U3 still has to be quenched by something else, though :p

Yeah, true. I do hope it's The Witcher 3 of this year in terms of GOTY awards too, though. I mean, last year, the competition was far more aggressive and it still managed to win 200+ awards.
If I recall, The Witcher 3 had its fair share of "disappointment" threads. As did GTAV, and The Last of Us. They also won many GoTY awards.

Javin98

Banned
If I recall, The Witcher 3 had its fair share of "disappointment" threads. As did GTAV, and The Last of Us. They also won many GoTY awards.
Yeah, the Internet is a weird place indeed. The negative crowd are always far more vocal than the positive crowd. Also, interesting note, Uncharted 4 won the majority of votes in a thread asking which game is the best so far in the first half of this year.

leng jai

Yeah, the Internet is a weird place indeed. The negative crowd are always far more vocal than the positive crowd. Also, interesting note, Uncharted 4 won the majority of votes in a thread asking which game is the best so far in the first half of this year.

There's also the flood of "GOAT", "10/10", "best game ever" etc nonsense in the first week or so every time for these type of games. It's like people aren't capable of rational opinions among all the early hype.

Javin98

Banned
There's also the flood of "GOAT", "10/10", "best game ever" etc nonsense in the first week or so every time for these type of games. It's like people aren't capable of rational opinions among all the early hype.
Well, please don't kill me when I say Uncharted 4 is my GOAT, then. :p

Slightly disappointed as well, I've always liked the traversal and climbing in the Uncharted games, but 4 was too filled with story and character development over unique and numerous fire fights and action sequences... Still a very solid game.

gamerMan

I am sure we will see a yearly thread pop up like this until Naughty Dog's next game.

There is only one word to describe Uncharted 4 . . . disappointing. It's this gen's biggest disappointment.

The only thing worth gawking at were the visuals and they have already been surpassed by God Of War.

AKyemeni

I was telling people in the early spoiler thread that it's gonna disappoint alot of people because of its strong influences from TLOU.

Druckmann is inferior to Hennig when it comes to making an Uncharted game. Too much TLOU Kool Aid.

Diablos

I thought it was an awesome game but I'm not going to blindly praise it as though it had no flaws. Pacing could have been a little better, although overall I still thought it exceeded expectations. Combat was fine. Story was solid.

My favorite is still UC2. I guess I'd rank UC4 as second with UC3 being the weakest in the series.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I reached Chapter 10 over a month ago and have yet to motivate myself to return. Started up Doom that same week and never looked back.

I just finished the game 10 minutes ago, big fan of the series have played them all, I don't know how to say it but something was off with this game, it's better than 3 or at least equal but sadly doesn't touch the master piece that is UC2.
It's like MGS I keep buying the sequels searching for a feeling, longing for the sensations, to take me to hights that MGS 3 took me, many sequels has come go and I get nothing of said sequels.
Same with UC2 I guess it was just a fluke.

I was telling people in the early spoiler thread that it's gonna disappoint alot of people because of its strong influences from TLOU.

Druckmann is inferior to Hennig when it comes to making an Uncharted game. Too much TLOU Kool Aid.
but it's still better than Golden Abyss though lol.

I see what you were talking about and I def can see why someone likes UC2/3 over 4 but I think UC4 imo is amazing but for different reasons.

Duxxy3

I love Uncharted 4 and hate Uncharted 4.

As a fan of series I couldn't hope for a better send off. With that said, there were parts that annoyed the shit out of me.

I didn't care for the open sections. I thought they slowed down the game far too much. The driving sections and boat sections especially.
I thought the climbing sequences were too abundant.
I thought that large combat sequences were a mess. I thought the best combat sequences in the game were the most straight forward.
The rope, climbing pick and sliding didn't make traversal more interesting. They made it a chore.

But it was the last game in the series. So I can forgive all of that for one last hurrah.

The pacing was horrible, Sam is uninteresting, setpieces didn't utilize gameplay well and it lacked humor. Hell, even though it's mostly well written, the plot didn't grab me. It just wasn't a memorable game imo apart from a couple moments. I still replay Uncharted 2, but after slogging through a second playthrough of UC4, I never want to touch it again.

Lack of action and set piece moments was a deal breaker for me. Only set piece moment got featured in E3 and left me with nothing. Plus Uncharted 4 tired to be like TLOU which I didn't liked at all.

Wozman23

Before U4 came out I had some free time, so I played through the trilogy again - something I rarely do.

I too was underwhelmed by a lot of U4, hoping maybe it was the fatigue from playing through the 3 similar games so close to release. But the more I thought about it, it just didn't feel like the Uncharted I enjoyed.

The pacing was far too lethargic in the first half of the game. It picked up in the later half, but I was already a bit tired by then.
The strings of strong, memorable set pieces, which the series was known to do so well, were gone. The only real setpiece to stand out was the clocktower. The underwater stuff was pretty impressive too, but more from a technical and graphical perspective.
The puzzles weren't as strong.
The innovation seemed misplaced. I didn't enjoy the rope, and never opted to use it in combat. The gunplay and mechanics which continuously evolved in the original trilogy stagnated. And why can't I throw grenades back anymore?
There was also a bit too much reminiscing and fan service. I know Naughty Dog wanted to reflect on their success, but it was at the expense of the franchise's swan song.

It felt like they tried to incorporated too much of The Last of Us in it. TLoU is one of my favorite all-time games, but Uncharted doesn't need emulate it. Just like I fear a little for God of War, because I hope it's not trying to be another TLoU.

I beat Drake's Fortune, got all the in game achievements - since trophies didn't exist then - and went back and platinumed it when trophies were added. I platinumed both U2 and U3. I have no desire to platinum U4.

When I finished The Last of Us, I didn't want to play it again, but only because I was so in awe of its perfection. I don't want to play through U4 again either. Not because it was another step forward, but because it felt like two steps back.

When U2 came out it was clear that it was a masterpiece. Originally U3 didn't impress as much, for similar pacing concerns (and that weird aiming issue that some of us had). Replaying U3 reminded me of how strong it was though. I may even have revised my opinion to say it is the best. Maybe U4 will impress more if I ever muster the energy to replay it.

I don't even think this is something the Internet is just hating on as people who loved U2/U3, myself included, were left disappointed with Uncharted 4. It's still an amazing game but I dunno the tone shift plus all the delays, maybe I just expected more.

Curious to see if Naughty Dog will hire new writers for their next game

Novocaine

The gameplay felt archaic and boring. The car chase scene was pretty awesome but that is really the only sequence I remember, which for a game like Uncharted is kind of a bad thing. It's a graphical marvel but as we found with The Order that just isn't enough to carry a game.

Top Bottom