• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I cannot help but feel a bit dissapointed about Uncharted 4

Neiteio

I reached Chapter 10 over a month ago and have yet to motivate myself to return. Started up Doom that same week and never looked back.
Same thing happened to me, only I left off at Ch. 12. I did come back after two or three weeks of DOOM, though.

bunkitz

I enjoyed it a lot and I love the game, but yeah, it was a bit disappointing. I didn't know what it was exactly at first, but it just didn't have the same "oomph" as the last two games. Now, though, I think it was because the game didn't have as many or as big set pieces. I wasn't ever really blown away this time, unlike with Uncharted 2 and 3.

The epilogue was just the best, though. I loved it so much.

DrBo42

Pacing is bad but honestly the slow moments and exploration is the best part gameplay wise IMO. Combat has always been just passable in this series. Quite dislike their shooting/melee/stealth mechanics.

I found the original games to be somewhat clunkyin actual game play, and the setpieces to be uninteractive and boring, but people seem to remember those games more fondly than they probably deserve. It was really the characters that were the only highlight of the originals. I haven't played 4 yet but I'm glad there was a move away from setpieces.

CrisKre

Im on chapter 13 whete they YET AGAIN found another map leading to the treasures.

I rolled Mt eyes and shelved it. Pacing is bad.

I didn't like the main bad gut either.

Ill finish it soon but it became so predictable and samey. Im disappointed too.

Neiteio

Im on chapter 13 whete they YET AGAIN found another map leading to the treasures.

I rolled Mt eyes and shelved it. Pacing is bad.

I didn't like the main bad gut either.

Ill finish it soon but it became so predictable and samey. Im disappointed too.
They say the treasure is worth $400 million, but I'm pretty sure the pirates spent twice that setting up elaborate fakeout areas all around the world!

Timeaisis

Grest visuals and interesting story but boring moment to moment gameplay.

Very lopsided if you ask me. The climbing just is not that fun after an hour or two, and in U4 you just keep climbing and climbing. The great segments are great but the tedious segments are terribly common and wear very thin. I really don't get the praise.

Oh yeah I forgot to add that the copious amounts of mindless climbing is really tedious. It's the weakest part of their game yet they decided to focus on that instead of the improved combat.

Roubjon

I thought it was fantastic. I Haven't played through a single player game that quickly in a long time. The pacing was slow sometimes, but it's something I'm fine with.

I enjoyed the climbing and the walking because the game's environments were so cool.

Windforce

I agree OP. I can't believe they showed off their biggest (and really only) set piece at E3. Just was bored through most of the game. Horribly paced.

Yeah, showing that piece set me up to expect more, and it didn't happen.

I felt UC4 dragged too much, so I share the OP's feelings. I prefer UC3 to UC4.

Timeaisis

I actually think the first seven chapters are strongest (except for that painfully slow scuba diving level, which is probably the weakest sequence in the entire series). The heist might be my favorite part of the game.

While the first seven chapters were primarily story-driven, at least it was varied and the story was interesting at that point, i.e. the return of Sam, the threat of Hectar, the heist.

Once they get to Scotland, it's just one red herring after another, with no real changes in anyone's character. Just lots of climbing, walking, talking, etc. The sliding and rope are no longer interesting, and that's like 50% of the mechanics right there.

Madagascar being the exception, although even then there are pacing problems, i.e. the overly long clocktower sequence before the set-piece market chase.

That's because the second half of the game is mostly padding and exposition, while the first portion was story ramp-up and it hadn't gotten old yet. And I agree, the heist portion was the best part of the game. But it definitely wasn't because of the gameplay: it was because it had a fun scenario intertwined with the player action and it felt like there were stakes and suspense and all the other ingredients that make a fun action thriller.

The game never gets that good ever again. It has it's "story parts" and it's "action parts", which never, ever overlap on a mutual fun level like they do with the heist chapters. Story is relegated to boring climbing and traversal segments (in addition to cutscenes, of course) and "action" is relegated to one or two good setpieces followed by a handful of combat encounters placed to break up the boring as hell story segments.

But I've said all this all before. I'll just quote myself from the OT. Sums up my main complaints about the game.

Alright, so I think I have finally figured out how to best communicate what I did not like about this game. And I think I can explain that easily using Chapter 21 as an example.

Spoilers, obviously.

Chapter 21 opens after an explosive, exciting escape Chapter 20, with Nate and co. retreating from Nadine's army and fighting their way through some exciting battle. Chapter 21 on paper serves as somewhat of a "cooldown" chapter after the exhilarating previous one. Unfortunately, it kind of spoils the ramp-up pacing leading up to the end game and the final encounter. It's just kind of...there.

Chapter 21 is just a traversal chapter. That's it. Nate leaves behind Sully and Elena to go rescue his brother. It leaves Nate alone to get to the Avery's ship and rescue his brother. He climbs a lot of stuff. I'll give it to the game that this traversal chapter is slightly more interesting than the rest, with some nice views and some non-obvious pathing, but it's still there, feeling completely out of place after the ramp-up of 20 and the dramatic conclusion that happens in 22. As weird as it sounds, it feels like filler.

And this permeates through U4 in general, but I think this chapter is the most clear example, because it possibly sours the dramatic build-up that happened in the previous chapters and just exists, seemingly, to give the player a break from the action. But what's so wrong with a break?

Well, nothing, on paper. In some chapters in U4 there are segments of no combat traversal that yield some interesting character development. Nate and his bro share some memories, reminisce, or dig up some of their feelings. Although not exciting in an action-adventure way, these serve a purpose to propel the characters forward through the story. There is something to be said of where these are placed and why they sometimes don't work quite well sandwiched between exciting setpieces, but that's another criticism that we've been through over and over again.

Chapter 21, however, is just there. You traverse some environments and reach your destination. It feels like player busywork before the big payoff. And it brings me to what I feel like Uncharted 4 so desperately needs: editing.

Editing, of course, is a film term, not really a game one. But because this series so much seeks to emulate the medium of film, I feel like I need to criticize it through the lens of film in some respects. In a movie, after a huge action setpiece moment a la Chapter 20, the action movie would likely take a little break. Give the characters some small time to take a breather, talk about something, and then finally allow the main character to make the journey up the cliff to save his half-wit brother. But the difference? The movie wouldn't spend 20 minutes on the protagonist's climb up the mountain, because that is god damn boring and completely breaks the pacing. And I must ask , why the hell does ND think that is important to experience? We, as the player, have done dozens of traversal sections when we get to this chapter, we get the jist. At this point in the story we want to see the ending, to see what happens, who lives and dies, etc. What we don't really want is to scale yet another cliffside for the hundreth time for 20 minutes. Wouldn't it be great if U4 trusts the player to "get" it on their own, and do some obvious cliff montage. Wouldn't it be great if they just did a cinematic of Drake climbing the mountain, using some quick edits, and a few key player interaction moments during some exciting jumps. We don't need to be in it for half an hour to get that Drake is climbing that mountain. We don't need to be with him that entire time. We can be trusted to understand how edits work.

And it's not just this example, U4 does this all the time, with little things. Pushing a box around for a handful of minutes here, moving a crate over there, solving a completely obvious environmental puzzle to proceed, doing some half-assed traversal in order to make it to your destination. Little road blocks that break up the pacing. Small moments that serve no greater narrative purpose nor give the player anything interesting to do with gameplay. And it's not like they are a spectacle, either. They are busywork. It's just downtime for the sake of downtime.

This permeates the game, and, in my opinion, has no place in it. There are parts of Uncharted 4 where I feel like I'm watching The Revenant in slow motion.

mindsale

I've played and loved every game in the series and I just really like this one. Felt extremely insubstantial, basically a repeat of 3 with a new character shoehorned in. Would've loved Hennig's version with antagonist Sam and Alan Tudyk.

What could have been.

Fredrik

Huh? And I thought it was the best one yet. The big action set pieces with the tower, armoured cars, car chase, combined with the best gunplay yet in the serie and the new stealth and grappling hook gameplay made it my favorite. The bow, upgrades and sandbox gameplay is better in RotTR and purely by gameplay I'd say UC4 is a tiny bit behind but in the end I still came away liking UC4 more. It's the perfect story driven action game. My GOTY so far for 2016.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I suppose I'm at odds with a lot of people as I felt the pacing, overall, was the best of all four games. That comes with a caveat however, as I had always felt a problem with Uncharted 1 - 3 is that they couldn't quite figure out how to insert tons of action without crossing a line and making things feel too mindlessly arcade-like for the style of presentation and storytelling they were trying to achieve.

The finale of the first three games stands out in particular; it's not the supernatural elements, I liked the nearly X-Files levels of teasing at what might, maybe, be supernatural. Rather each finale involved surprisingly clunky boss sequences or battle royales with mechanics out of a much more cartoony game.

So overall, I appreciated the tonal shift here. I do agree with criticism others have made of a certain end game chapter, and felt the pacing stumbled and tanked at the very end, rather than building to any kind of crescendo. That doesn't count the epilogue, which I felt was excellent.

Sky Chief

I think it was the best game in the series overall but not as "Uncharted" as 2 or 3 based on the lack of amazing set pieces that are a trademark of the series

It's funny. I'm the opposite. I wanted to like the first three so much, I tortured myself playing through them all, even after disliking U2, I still played U3 and U4. Even after dealing with all the shit plot writing and uncomfortable controls, I still preordered Uncharted 4 because it looked like it improved on everything. In my eyes, it did. I was extremely pleased by almost everything in U4. Amazing looking and so fun to play.

And yet, I still want to go and give the first three another try by the remastered versions. I want to like them so much. Druckmann > Hennig.

leng jai

It's funny. I'm the opposite. I wanted to like the first three so much, I tortured myself playing through them all, even after disliking U2, I still played U3 and U4. Even after dealing with all the shit plot writing and uncomfortable controls, I still preordered Uncharted 4 because it looked like it improved on everything. In my eyes, it did. I was extremely pleased by almost everything in U4. Amazing looking and so fun to play.

And yet, I still want to go and give the first three another try by the remastered versions. I want to like them so much. Druckmann > Hennig.

That makes perfect sense actually. 4 is a fairly huge departure from 2 all things considered, so it's no surprise you like prefer UC4.

Zalman

I finished this game a couple of days ago so it's still pretty fresh in my memory.

Uncharted was one of my favorite new franchises from last generation, and I was really looking forward to the fourth game. Overall, I did like it, but it didn't grab me like the old games did. The pacing was pretty bad, and I felt that there was way too much slow climbing and not enough exciting action sequences. It feels like it took a bit of elements from The Last of Us, but the tension was just rarely there. There were a couple of times where I could only play for half an hour or so before getting bored, and sometimes I had to force myself to boot it up again. It ramps up much, much later in the game, but at that point it's almost too late.

Again, I did enjoy it and I don't regret buying or playing it. I'm not sure it reached the height of 2 and 3 though.

Agreed. Visually the game is amazing but sadly thats all it had going for it. The story never really engaged me, there was a lack of tension compared to the previous UC games. There was a lack of interesting set pieces, a couple of jarring plot holes, Sam was a terrible character. Emotional moments felt forced and hokey especially the bit with Drake and Elena playing video games and living like slobs just like you and me so deep. I'd rank it as 2>3>4>1>GA.

AJ_Wings

Yeah, I honestly didnt care much for it. Also playing Doom 4 right before this game didn't help its case whatsoever since it just highlights how bad the pacing is. Worst of all, I honestly don't care about anything that is happening in this story and I played all the UC games and like Drake and friends!

U4 totally didn't do anything for me so I dropped it. Not interested in revisiting it in the future unlike 2 and 3 even despite their own flaws.

Xav

Uncharted 4 = The Last of Us Lite

Great game but missing those Uncharted moments. The lack of Nate's theme on the main menu tells it all.

eXistor

I liked the (slight) tonal shift. I never loved the action sequences and especially mediocre gunplay in the games and always enjoyed simply walking, talking and sightseeing, 3 things that U4 has in droves. I thought the action sequences were a lot better in U4 as well, only towards the end did I kinda switch off when it was just shootout after shootout. I can see why people would be disappointed though.

Rembrandt

Banned
Was my first Uncharted and i hated it. The climbing is so damn boring, linear and easy. there's also way too much of it. It's incredibly repetitive too. for example: the same jump scare happens every 30 seconds. The game drags on forever and nothing really exciting happens, everything just feels meaningless. The plot was well done tho but in the end nothing special. The puzzles are a good damn joke too.

i really don't see the appeal of these games if 1-3 are similar.

I haven't played 4 yet but 3 is the best one to me. Paced well with a nice amount of variety in scenery and combined with the set pieces, it led to the most memorable uncharted. Didn't love 2 like everyone else and 1 didn't age well.

Glad to know that I'm not the only one who didn't enjoy this game. I'm just halfway through and I don't think I'll ever get to finish it after playing Overwatch, Starcraft 2 and Rocket League.

I think UC4 will end up as one of the most over-rated games of this generation.

RedAssedApe

Banned
i liked the pacing but it will probably be a drag for repeat play throughs. luckily i don't care about trophies and one time is enough

bratpack

you cannot win

Uncharted3 was given alot of flack for having to much nonstop combat

U4 breaks the combat flow but has enough of it
theres combat in almost every section once the adventure story gets going

I also think the tower collapse in libertalia was a great setpiece as well as the clock tower and the chase

HussiZooT

I'm an Uncharted fanboy and have been since the first Uncharted.

But... I have to agree that Uncharted 4 disappointed me in the scale of the set-piece moments. I love the game overall and really enjoyed my time with it. Almost teared up a bit when it ended cause... well... it ended. But yes, I was really expecting some mind-blowing set-piece moments as seen in the previous Uncharted games. I was wondering how they could top the scale of UC3 set-pieces.

They didn't. I agree that they went with a more personal tone this time around and made the set-pieces more grounded. I mean, yes, it does have quite a lot of them in the game (Chase scene, Clock Tower scene, Libertalia Tower scene, Lift w/ Elena scene, Turret Truck scenes, etc) but not the bombastic ones that I was expecting from what the series had started to boast since UC2 (Train scene, Building scene, Airplane scene, Ship scene, Chateau scene, etc).

Overall, I really liked the game for what it was. I personally hold it as one of the best Uncharted games, right after 2. But this game felt more like a mixture of TLoU and Uncharted rather than a continuation of the summer blockbuster feel that you expect from an Uncharted game.

Was disappointed too. Too many forced walking scenes, loads of boring climbing. I'm just mashing X as I climb just so it's quicker. Really got tired of the climbing after a point.

T.O.P

Banned
Only memorable segment for me was the one from the original PSX demo

Big ass area, lots of different ways to approach the enemies, good verticality

Shame it was so short, game needed a lot more of those and way less moving crates, talking and nostalgia fan service

flozuki

I am kind of with you OP. Uncharted 4 is really good, and I am not exactly disappointed. But I played the trilogy just a few weeks before release of 4 and somehow I missed a little bit of the mystery especially 2 and 3 had regarding the environment (setpieces like ancient ruins, caves and stellar architecture to look at). More or less everything was focused on one treasure while the other entries had more variety in my opinion. But who knows, maybe I got a few nice ruins with the upcoming DLC?

JJD

I feel pretty much the same. U2 is still the best game in the series by far IMO. I actually really liked U3 too.

U4 was okay I guess? I played it once and I just don't see me coming back to it like I did with the previous others.

Edit: I did love the epilogue.

EGM1966

Understandable. I enjoyed it a lot but the clear tonal shift and move away from larger, improbable set pieces was bound to disappoint some.

Really you can see they chose to dial things back and return to more of a Raiders level of action set piece vs more over the top stuff.

They also modelled the wow moments on the plane sequence from U3 in that they are shorter and intended to be experienced quickly then moved on from.

My own main disssointment is the disconnect between thematic of then shame of thieves/pirates and Sam and Nathan. Going by initial reveal I'm sure Sam was going to be more of an antagonist originally and the finale was going to be you vs Sam with Nadine telling you to look at lesson from the final two pirate lords.

Overall it was great but definately not the usual attempt to be bigger than previous entries.

Totally agree with you, OP.

It was really a slog replaying this game, even though it was amazing yet underwhelming during the first play through. The previous UC games set a tonal standard for the series, and the lack of action and setpieces in this outing felt extremely out-of-place, even though Drake is older/retired at the outset of the game. Fair enough, it was an emotional ride which was nice, and I can't argue against the ending (I loved it), but the game feels like it should've been part of a different franchise completely.

I enjoyed it for what it was.

I love the games, but I don't exactly think they're the best games, you know? Even Uncharted 2 is a slog for the first and last few hours. It's just a series of setpieces, and some of them happen to be enjoyable.

Ethelwulf

I partially agree OP. I was disappointed in the sense that I was expecting the best in the series. I think it was a fantastic game nonetheless. I am one of those rare gamers that enjoyed the pacing a lot. It got repetitive and that bored me a little bit. Great acting and absolutely gorgeous settings. To me it looks like this:

2 >> 4 > 3 >> 1

Uncharted 4 is getting the same reception as GTA 4.

GTA 4 was held in high regard when it came out and everyone was calling it great. But a few months later everyone seem to acknowledge it didn't meet the hype and was a let down compared to San Andreas.

klier

A Bit?

Game is close to being aweful. Very, very poor. Naughty Dog only makes great visuals (which are utterly non interactive). Gameplay, fun and some innovation is nowhwre to be found whatsoever at all.

The hype train sure did screech to a halt fast with this one. It was one of my most anticipated games of the year but I couldn't bring myself to complete a second playthrough and I was forcing myself through my initial run. The gameplay is far too predictable with repeated tropes everywhere and the story didn't knave much impact even if all the characters were well implemented.

klier

There is going to be 20 more threads on U4 this year bashing it, ...

And I'll try to find every one, to agree with the OP.

Naughty Gods my ass. They should just start making movies over there.
And like someone said earlier here, it would be Batman vs Superman quality most likely (AKA, as bad as their games are)

Top Bottom