• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I cannot help but feel a bit dissapointed about Uncharted 4

Gorgeous but not nearly as memorable as I was hoping it to be. The environmental pacing of the last few areas was amazing though, wish the other locations were as well thought out. Changes to shooting mechanics made portions a slog, which sucks seeing how much final areas of UC2 were a blast in comparison for combat. The wait for the next ND title begins anew...

Sydle

I was also disappointed. I just didnt care about the cheesy comedy, the forced walk and talks...

Its an action adventure game that tried to be emotional yet its about a bunch of invincible all stars, so I couldnt care about any of it. Why should I buy any of the emotional stuff when these guys never die or get hurt or lose anyone? Why should I buy anyone is in danger when a journalist and an old man are taking on an entire incompetent army?

Its like it tried to be mature, but its not anywhere near as impressive as LoU was with its characters.

But I loved the treasure story and the exploration of the lost city. Much better paced than uc2 and uc3.

I also loved the final boss.

Typo? You mean UC1 and UC3?

Typo? You mean UC1 and UC3?

No. Uc2 and uc3 suffered from "wheres the city? Oh here it suddenly is for 5 minutes, oh no it exploded now, end screen"

Uc4 really unraveled it really well, and the entire mystery of the pirates was done well. Everybody expected a supernatural twist, but it was done eerily, it felt creepy, and left me wondering about the city a lot.

The shot of Averys ship, averys home, the secret society, I loved all of that and had time to actually soak it in

It was the better plot despite the bigger emphasis on Sam and Nathan and Elena

I almost forgot about the shitty flashback plot lol. Uc4 was bogged down by some cheesy embarassing crap. Leave that stuff for the superior LoU, it does that stuff better because you actually care about survivors like Ellie and Joel, as opposed to privileged superheros like Elena and Nathan

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It is an incredibly beautiful game but yes, the formula for me has been too... formulaic. When I played through it, I feel basically little to no excitement with almost all the set-pieces and merely want to get to the next story bits. All the explosions and whatever during gameplay just lack the ooomph that I was expecting. Just like Uncharted 3.
I guess in terms of single player experience, the series peaked in 2 for me.

I suppose you can say I played it not really because I enjoyed it but merely because it feels like an obligation to see it concluded after playing all the three games before previously.

the opening sequence on the boat was jaw dropping for me, and somehow nothing afterwards reached that height. Different scenes were epic in different ways, but not as bombastic as that opening. The chase scene would have been up there too I think were it not revealed in it's entirety beforehand.

I do think the game had pacing issues, but all being said I still think this game deserves GOTY at the end of the day (barring TLG).

Just finished it. Competent, gorgeous to look at, but can't see myself playing it again. This was pretty much the main reason I wanted a ps4 to begin with, so on that level it didnt quite deliver for me.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I enjoyed it overall. Bit mixed on certain parts that I felt were either a bit too long or not quite as well conceived as they could of been. That said I enjoyed Sam, I enjoyed the overall story and it was what I thought was a hell of a ride. I also thought the slower start was fine and enjoyed the ending and epilogue. Honestly I would be fine if they never make another Uncharted game and made The Last of Us 2 or something else.

If they did go back to Uncharted they should do something where Nate or whoever gets caught up in some Lovecraftian style stuff. Creepy weird cults, Non Eucleadean climbing and platforming, creepy seaside towns with fishy folks and so on. Play up some of the horror elements.

ggx2ac

I've already commented about Uncharted 4 before but there was one thing I didn't mention.

I wasn't the only one that thought about this right?
At the beginning of the game at the prison the
prison warden gets stabbed by the rich guy
and Nate gets upset about it. I was taken aback, I was thinking, "This is Nathan Drake the man who has killed thousands of nameless people". Why was he upset? Was it because he
didn't get to stab the prison warden?

I'm exaggerating things but it's funny because of how that scene played out and the character you play as.

rackham

Banned
Refuse to play this honestly. The previously recorded review ruined it for me. Gameplay looks watered down I'm starting to understand and hate this games are experienced movement. I love story in games but sometimes it feels like gameplay isn't even secondary. It's last.

It's a great game but the pacing issues particular with young drake really slowed it down. Too much downtime.

That said, it's highs were just as good as the the series highlights and even that bit with Elena in the Jeep and the music (listened to the ost earlier this week and got goosebumps).

But it does end well and the way ND closed off the series = tears.

Very memorable game.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Hmm, to me this was the only one that really delivered the feels. The story was more intimate than usual which was great.

I also maintain that the pacing is masterful in this game. People will realize when they look back several years from now.
Nathan Drake is like the most generic possible white male protagonist power fantasy so the attempts at depth coupled with the underlying messages of the game, (oh yea it's ok to lie to your wife for weeks, she'll forgive you and you'll live out life rich on the perfect little island ever, after all, you're an attractive white dude), fall incredibly flat. Someone put it incredibly succinctly, UC3 can be summed up as
"Nathan your actions have consequences"
"Nah"
"Nathan your actions have consequences aren't you worried about Sully?"
"Nah"
*Nathan Drake proceeds to ignore everyone else's advice and faces no consequences whatsoever and gets reengaged"

Fuck Nathan Drake.

It had by far the best level design and combat design out of all 4, tons of verticality and travel while in combat, felt like they finally nailed something they had been trying for three games. My only issue with it was the transitions between acts, which weren't very strong, especially with the stellar last third of the game going for a much stronger pacing.

In the end though this game was still such a strong display of skill and confidence that it won me over with its charisma alone.

poodaddy

For me it was the best entry, but then again it was the only one I really liked much at all so take that as you will. I'm not a big fan of the Michael Bay shiny stuff, I've always been a writing first kind of guy and Uncharted 4 had the best plot, dialogue, and character exposition in it. That being said I get what you're talking about OP.

joms5

Tried too hard to be a story rather than a fun game in my eyes. TLOU affected UC4 in all the wrong ways.

I agree with this 100%. I said the same thing right after finishing it.

It works for a game like TLoU because the game is a slower paced experience. Uncharted has never been slow and shouldn't be. It's about globe trotting and adventure.

As time goes on I can see more and more people disliking this game. Weakest in the series for me.

Javin98

Banned
Nathan Drake is like the most generic possible white male protagonist power fantasy so the attempts at depth coupled with the underlying messages of the game, (oh yea it's ok to lie to your wife for weeks, she'll forgive you and you'll live out life rich on the perfect little island ever, after all, you're an attractive white dude), fall incredibly flat. Someone put it incredibly succinctly, UC3 can be summed up as
"Nathan your actions have consequences"
"Nah"
"Nathan your actions have consequences aren't you worried about Sully?"
"Nah"
*Nathan Drake proceeds to ignore everyone else's advice and faces no consequences whatsoever and gets reengaged"

Fuck Nathan Drake.
.......Well, I'm glad you're the only one who thinks so. It's not like you have a good reputation in or outside of GAF anyway.

The fact that you think Nathan Drake is the most generic white dude in gaming while Ubisoft characters are fine is hypocritical, wouldn't you say?

ReBurn

Gold Member
It's a great game and very well produced. Plays exactly as I would expect an Uncharted game to play and the visuals are some of the best I've seen a console produce. But for some reason I lost interest at 50%. Halfway through I had no motivation to finish it. The weirdest experience I've had.

I think it may have been how personal it became.

poodaddy

.......Well, I'm glad you're the only one who thinks so. It's not like you have a good reputation in or outside of GAF anyway.

The fact that you think Nathan Drake is the most generic white dude in gaming while Ubisoft characters are fine is hypocritical, wouldn't you say?

I don't understand why you have to personally attack the guys reputation like that over an opinion. Talk about classless. I don't share his opinion either but he's absolutely entitled to it.

Javin98

Banned
I don't understand why you have to personally attack the guys reputation like that over an opinion. Talk about classless. I don't share his opinion either but he's absolutely entitled to it.
Well, it's a......unique opinion to have and it certainly fits the reputation he's built for himself. Call it ad hominem if you must, but I've seen far more offensive posts on GAF.

Edit: Let's say I'm calling him out for his hypocrisy of stirring up controversy countless times when there is none when his favorite company which he holds on a pedestal, Ubisoft, is one of the most controversial companies ever.

hampig

Playing UC4 now so I'll hold off too much judgement, but anyone saying UC1 is anything but the worst are lying to themselves. Definitely not a great game.

Playing UC4 now so I'll hold off too much judgement, but anyone saying UC1 is anything but the worst are lying to themselves. Definitely not a great game.
1 is definitely the worst, but it has the excuse of being the starting point. 4 had potential that was wasted

The momentum of 4 being so stop-and-go was a killer. In some ways, that's worse than 1 being mediocre in every way.

His love of Ubisoft's generic open world tripe pretty much invalidates his opinion on other games. Is it even possible to be more generic than the main protagonist in Watch Dogs?

His behavior regarding Ubisoft games is absolutely fair game when he criticizes other games that widely regarded as being superior to the stuff he praises. Look at his tag...

Javin98

Banned
His love of Ubisoft's generic open world tripe pretty much invalidates his opinion on other games.
Okay, I was the one who called out his hypocrisy first, but even I wouldn't go that far. Also, off topic, but I did a little detective work and I have to wonder, did you two have a short war on Twitter or something?

Okay, I was the one who called out his hypocrisy first, but even I wouldn't go that far. Also, off topic, but I did a little detective work and I have to wonder, did you two have a short war on Twitter or something?

OK it doesn't invalidate his opinion, but seeing him defend weak elements of those games no matter what and then come down hard on other games it's just hard to take seriously.

I rarely use Twitter, I don't think I follow any one from Neogaf and I have never had a Twitter feud! Is there someone with my handle on there? Why would you think it was me?

Javin98

Banned
I rarely use Twitter, I don't think I follow any one from Neogaf and I have never had a Twitter feud! Is there someone with my handle on there? Why would you think it was me?
Are you sure? There's this guy who's called Str0ngBlackVine. I mean, that's the exact username as your GAF ID bar the "o". Are you playing devil in disguise or is this really someone else?

His love of Ubisoft's generic open world tripe pretty much invalidates his opinion on other games. Is it even possible to be more generic than the main protagonist in Watch Dogs?

His behavior regarding Ubisoft games is absolutely fair game when he criticizes other games that widely regarded as being superior to the stuff he praises. Look at his tag...

Uh, Nate Drake is the typical generic white protagonist that fucks shit up without consequence. Not sure what's contentious about that.

Quit getting so defensive about your generic white power fantasy fuckboy protagonist - Naughty Dog can take the criticism.

Uh, Nate Drake is the typical generic white protagonist that fucks shit up without consequence. Not sure what's contentious about that.

Quit getting so defensive about your generic white power fantasy fuckboy protagonist - Naughty Dog can take the criticism.

I'm not defensive or even bothered. You on the other hand seem quite offended and your comment was ridiculous. Don't address me like that again or we will have a problem. I expect a certain amount of courtesy and you will give it or not speak to me at all. We can discuss games without personal insults. The end.

I think one thing lacking for me was the inter-play between Sully and Nathan. The back and forth in prior games gave a lot of personality to the game IMO asides from the storyline and set-pieces, and I didn't find Sam nearly as interesting as Sully.

Megatron

The game was a disappointment for me too. For a game ostensibly about exploring, you couldn't do very much of it. All the 'exploring' felt so hand-holdy, right down to Drake jumping differently depending on if he was in front of an object that could be climbed or not.

Wow, thank you GAF for this thread. I hadn't bought Uncharted 4 mainly because I had other things to play, but have always been just a few click from picking it up. I thought from the previews that this game was going to feature more action with compelling combat and less climbing, but apparently I could not have been more wrong.

Thanks GAF you saved me some money and frustration.

Wow, thank you GAF for this thread. I hadn't bought Uncharted 4 mainly because I had other things to play, but have always been just a few click from picking it up. I thought from the previews that this game was going to feature more action with compelling combat and less climbing, but apparently I could not have been more wrong.

Why not make up your own mind? I think it's flawed, mainly due to the pacing but the encounter design was really good and open ended. I wish there was more of it.

AJ_Wings

This is what people get for complaining about too much shooting in the previous games.

Like... thinking back, I also complained about the volume of shooting sections in previous games but really I'd easily replay U2 or U3 anyday over U4. One of the series' biggest failures is its lack of any meaningful evolution to its platforming elements and properly taking advantage of them. Not only have Naughty Dog doubled down on the platforming but they didn't evolve it in any meaningful way. The most creative they get with it is in the combat.

Naughty Dog did right by cutting all the platforming bullshit from TLOU and focusing on slow paced exploration and stealth based combat

Its still worth a playthrough if you're a fan, and it's likely to be on sale for BF in the $30 range. It's one of the most scenic games I've ever played, and it's still Uncharted. For me only Uncharted 2 is clearly better overall( because let's face it, U2 is quite clearly head and shoulders above most games....for me anyway). It's no worse than U1 and U3.

it's like 90% mindless climbing that requires zero skill. save your money.

krae_man

This is what people get for complaining about too much shooting in the previous games.

The bigger problem is the
lack of supernatural. If people didn't like it, Naughty Dog should have made it better, not removed it. If you're not stopping the bad guy from taking over the world, why are you doing anything?

Nate doesn't need money, he's only in it for the intellectual stimulation/discovery. And that's not worth getting shot over.

w0s

I enjoyed my time but for some reason it just didn't stick with me. Still glad I played it but not nearly the GOTY I thought it would be.

Why not make up your own mind? I think it's flawed, mainly due to the pacing but the encounter design was really good and open ended. I wish there was more of it.

I have a huge backlog of games, and there are games like Horizon: Zero Dawn that I can't wait to play. Why would I buy a game I didn't think I'd like on the chance that I might be wrong?

I'll just use that to quickly segue into one of my pet peeves. That's with people who want to simplify review scoring systems down to Buy/Don't Buy. I'm not interested in buying every game. I only want the cream of the crop, and I want to know how a reviewer thinks one game is reviewed relative to others. That can't be done if the review system does not have enough buckets to place games in to make those distinctions. I might like game A and game B, but odds are that I like one game more than the other. At the very least I want to buy that game I like more first.

Javin98

Banned

Listening to GAF is the biggest mistake you could ever make. Having put my faith in GAF before, you'll realize that most of these posts are filled with hyperbole and posters just wanting to prove something. Everyone here likes to talk about how journalists today are useless, but the score on Metacritic is far more valuable to me than the general consensus on GAF.

I'll go as far as to say it's the biggest disappointment of this generation so far for me. It wasn't bad but it was boring as shit. The first three games, especially 2 and 3, felt like playing the video game version of a big, fun, Hollywood summer blockbuster. This last entry felt like a slow, plodding TV miniseries by comparison.

The pacing was awful and the characters felt boring for the first time in the series. I feel they went too serious with it and forgot to have fun in the process. I also hated them adding a brother we never even heard about in the prior games, it just didn't feel organic. I always liked the idea of Nate being a loner who found family unexpectedly through Sully and Elena.

Again, it's not a bad game, it's just not what I wanted from an Uncharted game. And know that all this criticism is coming from someone who thinks Naughty Dog are the best game devs working atm and Uncharted 2 and TLOU are my favorite games of all-time. That's why the disappointment was so surprising and a bit disheartening.

Sizzel

I too was disappointed.. I keep forgetting it came out this year and that I never sold it back :/

It was a great game don't get me wrong , but I was disappointed for what I WANTED/HOPED it could be. A fan service end to a series. I think if you havent played the other 3 mainline ( hell, play The VIta one.. I bought my VIta for it) it is going to be a climbing simulator that is pretty. Without context, it is definitely a gorgeous moron.

I keep thinking the only AAA games that came out this year of GOTY merit are Overwatch and DS3 and I eventually catch myself and remember UC4 out of obligation to nostalgia and how much I love the series... if that says anything. If you have never played the other Uncharteds.. you can skip this. ungh that sucks to say.

Endo Punk

UC4 memories will linger on. The games moments whether setpiece or not are really potent. Nate with a toy gun is already stuck in my head. Definitely my fav in the franchise.

Uncharted 4 shows how flawed ND's level designs can be. Combat encounters are good, but everything else was a drag to go through.

Hopefully ND tones down on the filler stuff in their next game

I'm not defensive or even bothered. You on the other hand seem quite offended and your comment was ridiculous. Don't address me like that again or we will have a problem. I expect a certain amount of courtesy and you will give it or not speak to me at all. We can discuss games without personal insults. The end.
Welcome to the internet?

I loved the hell out of this game but there isn't much that makes me want to come back after beating. Higher difficulty just seems obnoxious and I can only hunt for trinkets for so long.

ThisOne

I did like how a lot of the areas were more open than they had been in previous Uncharted games. Still felt too linear to me though. Kinda boring too. The multiplayer had a bunch of issues too that wore thin on me after a few weeks. Ended up selling the game on Amazon. Good game, but ultimately pretty disappointing for me.

Top Bottom