• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I don't drive and makes me feel terrible about my self-esteem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaffaboy

I passed my test last September at the age of 29. Don't sweat it bro! Cars are way too fucking expensive anyway.

Starviper

A girl that can drive on her own and doesn't need me to pick her up if we wanna go out is a major plus in my mind. It isn't necessary and being in a city you can get around using other methods, but YMMV. Quite literally.

SteveWD40

I'm 26 in the UK and still haven't even begun learning to drive. I want to start next month. It's just it's so expensive, I can't really afford a car on top of my rent, but then I live in an area with decent public transport.

I'd save myself time being able to drive though as it'd cut 15 minutes off my journey and I could leave home later/get home earlier which is nice, but I don't think I can budget for it. Everyone else I know can drive, including in the office I work at and some guy keeps pointing out the fact I'm not driving is a bad thing.

It sucks :/

Outside of London the UK has a huge hangup about driving, mostly insecure men who think they are on Top Gear. It's even considered "un-manly" to drive an automatic, as if they are all The Transporter... I lived in London and found no one gave two shits there as the transport was so good and Ubers are everywhere in the centre.

OP, just do it, it's not that big a thing once you have and you can decide once you have the licence if you need to drive etc...

Razmos

I'm 24 and have no intention of driving. It doesn't interest me in the slightest.

It seems like a lot of hard work and a lot of expenses to make getting around slightly more convenient.

I get asked constantly by other men "so when are you going to start driving?" Like it's some rite of passage to becoming a man and i just don't understand the need.

But I've never been one to stand macho bullshit

xJavonta

Banned
Everyone should at least learn how to drive. It's a helpful skill to have.

I don't think everyone needs to own a car though.

My gf can't drive. Doesn't know how. So when she needs to get someplace that's not accessible by public transit I have to drive her. Which happens pretty frequently because she lives in Wisconsin which has fucking awful public transit.

Edit: I went to a high school that required me to have a license to graduate. In hindsight, I'm thankful for that. I probably wouldn't have learned otherwise and ended up being a nuisance to others

Robaperas

I got my license about a month ago and I'm 31, you're OK OP. I had a hard time learning how to let off the clutch slowly or letting the steering wheel center itself after turning or selecting the right gear for the speed. Like a lot of users recommended, practice on an empty parking lot, get used to how the car reacts or just how it works, it can help you feel a little more confident and lessen the anxiety.

I can't drive due to PTSD from a car accident so I feel you OP.

I black out whenever I get behind the wheel so, it's better to not put others lives at risk.

Starviper

I got my license about a month ago and I'm 31, you're OK OP. I had a hard time learning how to let off the clutch slowly or letting the steering wheel center itself after turning or selecting the right gear for the speed. Like a lot of users recommended, practice on an empty parking lot, get used to how the car reacts or just how it works, it can help you feel a little more confident and lessen the anxiety.

Do you not have a choice for a manual // automatic? My parent had a manual and i'd fuck up every time i'd try it, but after getting comfortable with my brothers and my own automatics, using a manual doesn't feel all that bad.

Sorcerer

Most of the younger people I work with do not drive and have no intention of driving ever.
It seems the car is going the way of the wrist watch.

I didn't drive until I was in my 20's. It was never that big of a deal, even when I was dating. Hell, most of the people that I was going out with didn't drive. We relied on trains, buses and the occasional cab. Lyft and Uber weren't really a thing.

Driving seems like something that cements your adulthood, but it's becoming increasingly irrelevant. This is especially true if you live in a big city.

Robaperas

Do you not have a choice for a manual // automatic? My parent had a manual and i'd fuck up every time i'd try it, but after getting comfortable with my brothers and my own automatics, using a manual doesn't feel all that bad.

Not really, most cars here in Chile are manual because they are cheaper, newer ones are automatic but I can´t afford them.
My biggest problem is that I learned in a small city-car with an 800cc engine, and for work I drive a Nissan Hardbody/D21 with an 2.4l engine, the difference in power is really something.

I'm 31 and I don't drive. When I think of the expense of driving in the UK I just don't want to learn. I get to work on my bike or I use public transport. Sometimes it would be easier to drive of course but I've made it this far in life without driving and I don't see that changing

The Lamp

people. please. don't wait to take your drivers licence. you're only limiting yourself even if you don't have a car.

Yeah it's pretty simple and having a license frees you from the bounds of your city's public transportation.

It was great to vacation to France and rent a car and unleash myself in the Provence countryside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom