• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I don't find it hard to avoid bad games or getting screwed over by the game industry

Buying video games can be really frustrating in ways that you don't have to worry about with other media.

I've never bought a Radiohead album that was buggy and didn't work. I never went to a movie and it turned out it was only 20 minutes long, but I could buy another ticket to see more of the movie. I never bought a book that installed a rootkit on my PC.

Video games are the only entertainment media that I have to scrutinize like a used car before buying. It's why I post on a video game forum instead of a movie or book forum.

Buying video games can be really frustrating in ways that you don't have to worry about with other media.

I've never bought a Radiohead album that was buggy and didn't work. I never went to a movie and it turned out it was only 20 minutes long, but I could buy another ticket to see more of the movie. I never bought a book that installed a rootkit on my PC.

Video games are the only entertainment media that I have to scrutinize like a used car before buying. It's why I post on a video game forum instead of a movie or book forum.
What games are like that? And if you're talking episodic ones, they have self-contained arcs like books in a series, not cutting a story into abrupt chunks

I rarely ever buy DLC. Only season passes/DLC I've bought in the last two years are The Witcher 3, Forza Horizon 2, and Bloodborne. I never pre-order console games unless there is a guaranteed refund option. PC games I pre-order if there's a discount on Steam, since now I can refund the game in two hours if it's not good or runs poorly. I used to be one of those people who'd pre-order blindly and never object to always-online bullshit because I just wanted to play games, but as more time goes on, I'm starting to realize how ugly these business practices have become. Deus Ex Mankind Divided is a goddamn joke for $30, when I got 60+ hours of quality content and immense enjoyment out of The Witcher 3's season pass, which I paid only $22 for. $60 games have game-altering microtransactions. Games ship broken and lacking content yet publishers charge $60.

I still have this tendency to want to play games as soon as they come out, but I'm starting to get a grip on that hype-induced urge, and actually wait a little bit before the game runs well and has all the promised features. The recent Arkham Knight, Metal Gear Solid V, and No Man's Sky debacles have sort of rendered me disillusioned with the "hype culture". Publishers just prey on that "hype" to sell you broken or even incomplete games. I still fucking love games, but I'm just a lot more cautious with buying them now.

Crayon

I'm happy to pre order a game as a show of support when it's a piece I believe in. I usually get no tangible benefit from doing this. Pre order bonuses I don't find valuable most of the time.

On the subject of feeling burned or disappointing by games, or wasting money on bad games; These days I see the hunt for a good game to be so much more important than trying to avoid bad ones. I shed no tears for trying something and not liking it. If I tried it, it's because my experience told me that there is something worth investigating. The money should be spent wisely but I accept that much of it will be spent searching for the next priceless game.

Lego Boss

I think the industry DOES gave some accountability. Review embargoes are at best ambiguous (DOOM) and at worst a sign of a game going to die (Carmageddon).

Good, solid AA games (Trackmania Turbo) don't get a great deal of love, but what it did have was a demo (which like FH3 suggests a developers faith in a product.

More demoes will surely equal more sales. I bought JC2 on the back of a demo and l ended up putting 60 hours into that. I didn't buy it due to the form of the first game - then wished l hadn't bought the third!

I was one of the few who LOVED Watch Dogs and l thought it was the best open worlder l have ever played.

Generally though, this is because I have been gaming for 35 years and l guess l know what l like. I still get suckered by the hype train though - there's nothing like a new racer or open worlder to get them juices flowing and l'm glad it does as it shows l'm invested in my hobby. I'm a bit old to get TOO disappointed, but for me, in any medium, there's nothing like a Day One pre-order, even if it only happens once or twice a year.

Edit: when l say ambiguous about DOOM I mean l can't understand why such a good game was embargoed, it does do anyone any favours. Also TT Turbo is a great game and needs more love from everyone, but especially the publisher.

bj00rn_

Banned
Eh.. You are sure doing your own contribution to lowering the IQ of the discussion by lumping everything together OP ..

Point is, being wary of hype and at the same time criticise snake oil salesmen in the industry are not mutually exclusive!.

It's considered wise to do what you need to protect yourself, but in principle no consumer should have to do a full investigation to protect themselves from lies and deceit (that's why we have consumer protection laws).

Oersted

Seenoeewil, there is a genuinely interesting discussion to be had that someone like you, who does not find it hard to avoid bad games still ended up being burnt.

It's always surprising to me how quickly games drop in price these days. I wouldn't buy a game on day one if only because it'll probably be $40 or less within a month or two.

From my perspective, I don't need more games. I arguably don't even want more games. I have enough games to keep me playing new stuff for the next decade. But if it looks good and it's a good price, I'll do it. But only when I intend to play the game now, not months from now.

It's disheartening to see the majority fall into the "wait until the game is released to get all the facts!" category when we really should be asking "Why aren't we given all the facts before release?"

The onus isn't only on the consumer, it's on the dev/pub and the media to do their jobs. Everyone should do some investigation prior to a purchase but the lengths at which the consumer would need to would be greatly reduced without con men, embargoes and NDAs on features in reviews, etc. The only directive that a reviewer should be allowed to follow are spoilers, for obvious reasons.

SpokkX

I just thought I'd point this out given how many people seem to act like publishers have a direct feed into their bank account and are completely powerless to prevent the big bad corporations having their pants down. I don't need a perma-angry YouTuber to tell me what I should object to, either.

Honestly, it really isn't difficult. There are a million and one sources of good reviews/videos, forums like this one where issues are reported within 3 freaking seconds of a game release and Steam refunds. Ignore the pre-release hype, stop trusting marketing departments and have a little common sense. You control the purse strings, ergo, you have all the power. Stop acting like a bunch of addicts incapable of free-will and take some responsibility. Pre-order a game, you're taking a gamble. Buy a season pass, you're taking a gamble. Trusting all the hype before waiting a day or so and reading the reviews, same. People know this, it's not new news.

I really think the people who preorder on a whim are mostly younger gamers that dont have experience with how few games actually live up to their promise

I suppose i would have preordered when i was a teenager (was not possible then though) based on marketing and hype

Now I never preorder. Well except perhaps Souls, they are my favorite games by far though

What I find curious is the excitement bubble around game releases within the first week or two followed by a rapid fall off. I don't think other media besides movie screenings behaves like this to the same extent and seems to promote a culture of buying before being fully informed.
I don't remember games always being like this, at least in this country. Growing up only the hotly anticipated games with a huge reputation were both on day one, while most were slow burners with interest spreading through word of mouth and critical reception if they were any good.

What I find curious is the excitement bubble around game releases within the first week or two followed by a rapid fall off. I don't think other media besides movie screenings behaves like this to the same extent and seems to promote a culture of buying before being fully informed.
I don't remember games always being like this, at least in this country. Growing up only the hotly anticipated games with a huge reputation were both on day one, while most were slow burners with interest spreading through word of mouth and critical reception if they were any good.

Astroturfers, dude.

I rarely get positive feelings playing a single player game on day one. It just feels like you're playing the worst version for the highest price.

I bought games that I didn't like. I mean, I pre-ordered Watch Dogs.

You know what I did about it? Nothing. Because it happens. Games are bad sometimes.

I certainly did went to the internet to call devs liars or lazy. I wrote what I thought about the game like a normal person.

Sometimes games are bad. Sometimes we buy bad games. If your first move is to call people names then maybe you need to rethink some stuff.

Sometimes the person representing the game is a lier.

meerak

Sorry OP, but today's society doesn't care to hear about how consumers could be better-informed. I too can't recall the last time I was swindled (except by my own foolish self) but I've already been told 100 times how irrelevant I am to the bigger picture.

same, i don't buy western published games for the most part anymore because they're filled with DLC bullshit and I also don't buy games with any kind of season pass on day 1.

Servbot24

Banned
For me, if there's a single-player game I'm anxious to play, I'll play it day 1. It's a risk, I agree.

I'd appreciate it if people don't look down on me just because I'm willing to play a game on day 1

#persecutedgamer

But really, if a game is good I'll play it in whatever condition. And by "game" I mean the actual game. Not the performance, not the tech. The game. Metal Gear Solid 3, Shadow of the Colossus, Majora's Mask, Dark Souls, and more are some of the greatest gaming experiences I've had in my life, and each had poor performance.

NoKisum

So what's the definitive rule here? I've blindly pre-ordered recent games like No Man's Sky and Monster Hunter Generations, and I'm having an absolute blast with them. But you all are saying that I'm a monster for doing so. What should I do? Should I destroy my games in shame because they aren't the literal best games ever? My next biggest anticipations are Pokémon Sun/Moon and Persona 5. Should I cancel my pre-orders? Should I wait 3 years until they hit the $5 bargain bin piles? Will cancelling my pre-orders fix this hype culture and push devs to make better games on Day 1?

That is just objectively impossible unless you enjoy everything you play equally.

You can never know with 100% certainty when you are operating on incomplete knowledge when it comes to decision making.
Yeah, but after over 20 years of playing games you can get pretty good at parcing out what you like from what you won't like. There have been like two games I actually regret preordering. I may not have liked every game that I've pre ordered the same amount, but I at least feel like I get my moneys worth 99% of the time.

redcrayon

So what's the definitive rule here? I've blindly pre-ordered recent games like No Man's Sky and Monster Hunter Generations, and I'm having an absolute blast with them. But you all are saying that I'm a monster for doing so. What should I do? Should I destroy my games in shame because they aren't the literal best games ever? My next biggest anticipations are Pokémon Sun/Moon and Persona 5. Should I cancel my pre-orders? Should I wait 3 years until they hit the $5 bargain bin piles? Will cancelling my pre-orders fix this hype culture and push devs to make better games on Day 1?
There is no definitive rule, there certainly doesn't seem to be a consensus when it seems like you get discounts on some countries, hype just seems to affect gamers in different ways.

If a game turns out to be a dud as impressions roll in a few days after launch, I just don't have much sympathy for gamers who blindly put their money down months in advance and then spend every day up until launch cheerleading for it, before acting surprised and claiming they were lied to and robbed when a bit of patience would have helped.

By all means pre-order away, but I think it's the link between giving companies money in advance and then reacting with utter venom when a game doesn't live up to expectations after months of cheerleading that I find a bit silly. Not everyone does that of course, and I'm not suggesting you do.

I preordered all my games this gen, and never been burned once.

Keep in mind that as a Canadian, pre-order deals from Amazon make preordering a better option, to look in the discounted price.

For example I'm getting Gears 4 for $50 which is (unfortunately) a steal at launch.

I also know if I like a game by playing the beta, and watching videos.

I only get hyped for games where I can see the gameplay and know thtats what I want. I had Zero interest in Zelda when they just showed thtr initial reveal trailer because it was just a cutscene. The moment I saw it on Tree house I knew it was going to be great.

NoKisum

There is no definitive rule, hype just seems to affect gamers in different ways.
So do we need to instill such a rule in some way? I've been pretty hyped for Pokémon, but the comments in this thread is making me think I shouldn't be. Don't wan't to hate the game in the same way everyone's been furious about NMS.

vort3x

Never preorder has pretty much worked for me except once when I preordered halo mcc. We all know how that shitshow went. I was able to get my money back. The only ones I do preorder now are the ones I can try before the game comes out and I end up liking what I play. Gears of war 4 is one of those examples. I hated judgement when it was released, luckily I didn't pay for it. When gears 4 was announced I was HIGHLY sceptical until I played the beta. I loved what I played and preordered the day it was over. So yeah in this day and age where companies are out to make a quick buck I refuse to preorder.

redcrayon

So do we need to instill such a rule in some way? I've been pretty hyped for Pokémon, but the comments in this thread is making me think I shouldn't be. Don't wan't to hate the game in the same way everyone's been furious about NMS.
I think the main people likely to be disappointed with any game are those who spent the months before launch hyping it to the heavens, only to find it doesn't quite match up to what they've been evangelising for.

Im toying with the idea of just playing GOTY versions of games - playing something day 1 (outside of competitive MP) just seems to end up being a worse experience...

ps3ud0 8)
Sound advice. I haven't picked up Destiny yet, but with all this DLC released, I think I'm just going to wait for the GOTY edition. Why should I pay for a season pass when I can get everything later for cheaper?

I never preorder games. I don't know where everyone else lives where games sell out in minutes, but in at least the last 5 years, I have never seen an EB Games sold out of a game on launch day.

The thing I don't understand is the need by some people to absolutely must have a game on the day of release
For some games, the wealth of discussion at launch and sense of community is a big draw. Especially with narrative-driven games; that makes launch almost like a book club.

selo

As for me:
Is it a cdpr game?
Is it a dark souls?
Is it a deus ex?
Is it a civ game?

This is pretty much all I preorder

redcrayon

For some games, the wealth of discussion at launch and sense of community is a big draw. Especially with narrative-driven games; that makes launch almost like a book club.
With multiplayer games I wonder if people don't want to be left behind by the day-one crowd in games where you play the stronger you get. Also, for less popular games it seems like a bit of a countdown to the community dying, perhaps people would rather be playing when the community is strongest. Some games seem virtually dead barely months after launch.

Agree that being part of the zeitgeist in terms of the discussion in places like Gaf is enticing too.

Encouraging pre-orders with trinkets, blind hype for 'day 1' and over-the top backlash all seem to go hand in hand in terms of the industry/customer relationship though, presumably because most of a games sales happen very early.

Ah I suppose I could see that, personally I don't really care all that much but I concede I may have only been seeing things from my point of view

It's a question of knowing your own tastes and setting realistic epectations.

I don't think I've ever been 'burned' by a pre-order. A little disappointed, but never enough to cry foul because I know what type of games I enjoy playing and buy accordingly. Nothing difficult there really.

I pre-ordered NMS, was happy to do so, and would do it again if I magically went back in time with post release knowledge.

Why? Because I had the money, knew 100% I wanted to play it, and made my mind up about playing the game at E3 a couple of years ago. Even it being first-person didn't put me off.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little disappointed at the repetitive nature of the core game play. But, I've experienced it and think I've got my moneys worth out of it - that's all that really matters.

I'd have pre-ordered Watch_Dogs 2 had I had the money, which I don't, even though the story in Watch_Dogs 1 got a little, meh, about 2/3rds through.

I don't feel I get screwed over. I'm a console gamer at the moment and have been the last few years but I've played games over 30 years and generally know what I like. As an example I brought no mans sky day one and have no regrets, for me I have value for money. These days it's easy to research, especially with GAF. One of the most useful things I have found this gen is using live at PlayStation. Someone always has a game on my radar early and it's really helpful to watch someone and be able to ask questions. Something that does grate me is that in over 30 years I have NEVER got a game early lol.

I'm not really one for pre ordering, dlc or season passes having never brought anything in advance or purchased any dlc but I am a sucker for day one purchases even if I won't play it straight away (which is silly I know but I have this urge that I NEED it lol).

I have much more disposable income these days which probably affects my buying habits and I very rarely go from the opinions of reviews (still really angry by ign and their alien isolation review). It also helps that me and my buddies share a lot of games so if something crops up that wasn't on my radar and is getting warmly received, chances are I will borrow it from someone. If it's brilliant I usually end up buying my own copy (wolfenstein as an example)

Ranger X

If you don't feel screwed by this industry how is this thread addressed to you? Its advice for people falling into its marketing/hype traps and impulsive buyers. Basically there's alot of bad consumers and consumption habits in this industry and business sure take advantage of that. It doesn't mean your buying habits don't fit you, shouldn't be or will necessarily yield bad results.

Mindlog

/thread

Just to clarify: pretty much everyone here at GAF is educated in gaming, meaning we don't get duped as easily as other people. If a game sucks, you'll be hard pressed to find a faster place than here or reddit that lets you know the game sucks or is filled with microtransactions or is bugged as hell.
Heh. That doesn't seem to be consistent with the evidence.

agree with OP entirely

maybe it is because i grew up in the 80s and witnessed first-hand the early generations of home video games but imo consumers nowadays have it SO EASY what with the millions of tools and resources available to educate themselves, whenever you have a blow up like the NMS hate, it's just....

you couldn't literally wait a week to see how the game actually turned out? you are completely abdicating your responsibility as a consumer to stay informed? people say but they lied about this and that but you should not be putting 100% of your faith in information coming directly from the producer!

this goes beyond video games, you should be skeptical of everything, take everything from a primary source with a massive grain of salt. then again some people thrive on drama, particularly in the social sphere, or are doing so ironically/jokingly, willfully acting naive in order to prostrate themselves, feeding the consumer superego.

all consumerism is a lie. it is there to provide a temporal experience, one that your brain things will last, and will try to make last, but will be ultimately unfulfilling because there is no spirituality in pop culture. nothing lasts, nothing points to the infinite, and in fact most things are designed to fail.

this is all fine and as long as you aren't lying to yourself, go for it, enjoy the thing, just don't pretend like you are making some grand moral choice when you sit in front of a screen twiddling your thumbs.

NoKisum

If you don't feel screwed by this industry how is this thread addressed to you? Its advice for people falling into its marketing/hype traps and impulsive buyers. Basically there's alot of bad consumers and consumption habits in this industry and business sure take advantage of that. It doesn't mean your buying habits don't fit you, shouldn't be or will necessarily yield bad results.

From the tone of this thread, we all are the problem. Companies keep baiting and switching because people, including those who claim to be well educated on the happenings of the industry, continue to be duped by it. Walk into literally any NMS thread and you'll find that's the case. The only way to stop terrible practices is to convince everyone to stop pre-ordering.

While I've yet to hit a bad spot on my pre-orders and impulse purchases, I am clearly part of the problem. We all are.

kiguel182

Sometimes the person representing the game is a lier.

I don't call people liars when I don't have all information available. If a game is bad then is bad regardless of what was said before.

Life is too short to spend time going to the internet to insult people.

I just thought I'd point this out given how many people seem to act like publishers have a direct feed into their bank account and are completely powerless to prevent the big bad corporations having their pants down. I don't need a perma-angry YouTuber to tell me what I should object to, either.

Honestly, it really isn't difficult. There are a million and one sources of good reviews/videos, forums like this one where issues are reported within 3 freaking seconds of a game release and Steam refunds. Ignore the pre-release hype, stop trusting marketing departments and have a little common sense. You control the purse strings, ergo, you have all the power. Stop acting like a bunch of addicts incapable of free-will and take some responsibility. Pre-order a game, you're taking a gamble. Buy a season pass, you're taking a gamble. Trusting all the hype before waiting a day or so and reading the reviews, same. People know this, it's not new news.

Agreed.

It happens less and less often for me now. It's rare really thanks to the abundance of information out there available.

Top Bottom