• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I don't like Zelda

strobogo

Banned
This makes me a bad person and/or gamer according to other threads. Of all the major franchises in gaming, it is the one I least understand the popularity of. Before you say, "have you played them", I have. I've played 1, 2, ALTTP, OoT, and Twilight Princess. I've tried to like the series. But every time I play, I'm so bored. Running around poking grass, jars, and chickens with my sword isn't fun. Never ending dungeons that look the same aren't fun. The generic story isn't fun. I just...don't get it. I've tried, more than I have for probably any series I'm not interested in or don't like. Elves and high fantasy stuff aren't cool. Definitely not fun in game form. Someone please explain to me what I'm missing. Or why you also don't like the series.

dontlikething.png

Different strokes for different folks.

It's hard to tell you what you're missing when you've played plenty of the games already. I assume to a decent point and not given up early on. Not everybody will like the same thing. I've met people who dislike The Godfather Part 1 and 2 and like part 3. I mean whaaaaaat.

SalvaPot

There is nothing wrong with you. Most people like it, some not.

I never liked Final Fantasy.

I can live with you not liking Zelda. Its fine.

Ventara

Have you tried A link Between Worlds on the 3DS? I think you'll like that.

It's hard to tell you what you're missing when you've played plenty of the games already. I assume to a decent point and not given up early on. Not everybody will like the same thing. I've met people who dislike The Godfather Part 1 and 2 and like part 3. I mean whaaaaaat.

You're a liar. There is no way this is true.

SkyOdin

It might just not be your cup of tea. I'm a fan of the series but I see no reason to try to change you mind if you feel that way.

EBE

i dont like it. anymore. i think i just grew out of really liking nintendo stuff in general.
and yeah, i own a 3ds and have played ALBW. it was so so.

I always tried to like it but when i get stuck it always bothers me to search around for the answer so I stop playing lol. I only have it with this game though, not the other rpg's

DirtyCase

I think it has more to do with game mechanics, puzzles and the items unlocked through story progression at least with A Link to the Past.
Now answer this, would you be interested if it had similar mechanics but was set in a Sci fi setting? Instead of dungeons it was different ships or planetary outposts you had to explore for example.

Ok. Different people like different stuff.

If you don't like Fantasy then yeah Zelda takes place very much in a fantasy setting.

Strangely enough I really don't like fantasy either (I really love Sci-Fi). Zelda is one of the extremely few fantasy series in any media I like and the one I definitely like the moat.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
you like NJPW tho so youre good

people who post this image should be straight up banned. it adds fucking nothing to the discussion

While the image may be used to dismiss someone's argument, I believe the poster you quoted used it in the sense that it's okay if he doesn't like it, i.e. it's no big deal, because, well, "different strokes for different folks".

And it's true. No worries if you don't like something that others do. I don't like most RPGs, for instance, even Final Fantasy.

Shojx

You've clearly stated in your post that it just isn't your thing. You're free to like and/or dislike whatever you want. If you've tried it and decided it's not for you, that's your own opinion, and you're entitled to it. No one can (reasonably) tell you your opinion is wrong.

I personally love Zelda. I like running around with my sword and cutting grass, collecting ruppees, and exploring the dungeons, or whatever. But I'm free to like it as you are to dislike it.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
This makes me a bad person and/or gamer according to other threads. Of all the major franchises in gaming, it is the one I least understand the popularity of. Before you say, "have you played them", I have. I've played 1, 2, ALTTP, OoT, and Twilight Princess. I've tried to like the series. But every time I play, I'm so bored. Running around poking grass, jars, and chickens with my sword isn't fun. Never ending dungeons that look the same aren't fun. The generic story isn't fun. I just...don't get it. I've tried, more than I have for probably any series I'm not interested in or don't like. Elves and high fantasy stuff aren't cool. Definitely not fun in game form. Someone please explain to me what I'm missing. Or why you also don't like the series.

Why do you keep playing it if you don't even like fantasy?

You're free to dislike whatever you want. Everybody enjoys different things and I have no interest in many games that are considered great by a large number of people. That said:

Elves and high fantasy stuff aren't cool. Definitely not fun in game form.

I'm not sure why you ever believed the series would possibly be for you in the first place.

strobogo

Banned
No. I don't like sci-fi settings in general, I also don't play shooters but understand why people would enjoy those. I just don't get what is fun about the Zelda games. My brain doesn't comprehend why they would be fun to other people.

Why do you keep playing it if you don't even like fantasy?

Because they are so beloved I thought I was just not seeing the games right, so I kept playing them thinking they'd click like an album that doesn't strike you on the first listen but second and third are great.

people who post this image should be straight up banned. it adds fucking nothing to the discussion

OT: only zelda i liked was ocarina of time

If he/she doesn't like those elements of Zelda then they don't like it. Simple as that. I don't see a need for discussion here.

harmonize

Whether you love it or you hate it, you must respect the dedication the series has for putting it all on the line time and time again to entertain its fans.

No. I don't like sci-fi settings in general, I also don't play shooters but understand why people would enjoy those. I just don't get what is fun about the Zelda games. My brain doesn't comprehend why they would be fun to other people.

Because they are so beloved I thought I was just not seeing the games right, so I kept playing them thinking they'd click like an album that doesn't strike you on the first listen but second and third are great.

Did you just call Zelda sci-fi? Nerdsplosion!

Illucio

Banned
I have a friend who doesn't like Zelda, yet he's a a huge video game fanatic and a huge Nintendo fan.
His interests are not mine. He can enjoy whatever video game he pleases, it's not my right to tell him what is or what is not enjoyable.

Zelda not being your thing does not make you a bad person.

Putting down the game as being something that is not cool (and blatantly false remarks) plus things that infer you can't comprehend how people like it (and fantasy stuff) leans more towards that, though.

Trickster

I've actually only played the twilight princess zelda game. Didn't really like it. Felt like a very dated game imo, no real voice acting, midi music, clunky controls and enviroment interactions, unimpressive graphically and so on etc

ElTopo

Banned
I hate Zelda too. I just hate fantasy adventure. I also hate all things Star Trek and Star Wars. And I hate Disney movies.

Top Bottom