• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I don't understand healers (OP mains Hanzo)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GamingKaiju

Healers can change turn the tide of battle. A huge team res, transcendence or sound wave can get the team across the finish line.

Doikor

Not even close.
My duty as offense soldier is to capture a point or make lots of damage
My duty as a defense hero is to disrupt large group of enemies or maintain a point/situation
My duty as a tank is to be a sponge of damage and clean a path.

No one has a role more important than others, if you don't like to be a healer then don't be but don't assume that the game revolves around you.

But games like OW kinda do. The easiest way to win a team fight is always to kill the healer first. Fail to protect yours and you will loose. One of your DPS dies? Mercy can still res or someone does some amazing plays with ults. Genji ult with nano boost or a good healer is very strong. Genji jumping in without backup will just die.

Mawile

Banned
On console or PC? I see a vast majority of phara / mercy combos I play against get melted down fast regardless of rank

PC. I've played against some really damn good Pharah's using the stage at certain points to be come very hard to hit with this combo.

But in my experience, a lot of people around this rank and lower just don't handle this combo fast enough. Of course, most the people I end up finding for queue really suck at team work. This strat doesn't work too great with people who can actually aim, but it does have its usage in lower levels.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
PC. I've played against some really damn good Pharah's using the stage at certain points to be come very hard to hit with this combo.

But in my experience, a lot of people around this rank and lower just don't handle this combo fast enough. Of course, most the people I end up finding for queue really suck at team work. This strat doesn't work too great with people who can actually aim, but it does have its usage in lower levels.
Ah the buds I play with tend to shuffle through ana/soldier/widow/mcree so that situation tends to be a wasted effort for the other team.

Rafus

I always have to play super intense as Ana, trying to keep my team mates alive while dealing with oponents.
(Then a Lucio runs in front of my Nano Boost)

Mexen

OP needs to watch Log Horizon.

And then play the very first Final Fantasy with a party of nothing but White Mages.

I always have to play super intense as Ana, trying to keep my team mates alive while dealing with oponents.
(Then a Lucio runs in front of my Nano Boost)

tumblr_oi331ztTLF1sn4eavo1_1280.png

Healers are only redeemed by their easy, noob-friendly gameplay that can make a game accessible to a wider audience.

Drop that condescending attitude, being a good healer is one of the most stressful and intense jobs. At any time I need to the locations of every enemy, every teammate and their health levels, I need to be watching who they are fighting and how they are engaging and juggle my healing (and attacks) between everyone at the correct moments to ensure that nobody dies as well as use my ultimate the moment that I recognise the enemy is going to start a major push. While doing all this I also need to be thinking about my own positioning so that I can heal everyone without being exposed while fighting off the inevitable Tracer/Genji that is all over my ass. Oh, and if I'm Zenyatta I also have to be prioritising and calling out who I'm discording based on importance and ease of securing a kill. And in comp I'm also having to be the shot caller and coordinator for the team.

And at the end of it all, after I've worn myself ragged as the solo healer so the rest of the team can pick their favourite DPS/sniper heroes and I see my 3 gold medals card with 0 votes I get to let out a big sigh as yet again, everyone thinks your job was easy.

Just because you've seen the average Mercy player just walks around tethered to their friend for an entire match and then hides whenever she wants to resurrect the team does not mean that is how a healer should be played.

I've never played these type of games (well other than having a healer/mage type in a JRPG) but it's having these different character types that would encourage me to try them. Much like fighting games, the all rounder meat-head isn't for me, I'd rather pick the odd ball.

I would think having a diverse set of character types would make it more fun than just mindless point scoring through everyone being a shooter/offensive type (or whatever they are!) I think it's cool to be the guy that buffs the team or gets them out of a sticky situation.

TirMcGrey

Yeah I can't say being a healer is easy, almost every game from Overwatch to Final Fantasy XIV being the healer has led to some of the most intense gaming moments I've experienced . In MMO's / RPGs it's keeping my teammates alive while my own safety is mainly my responsibility and in games like Overwatch / Battlefield (pick your flavor here) I also have to be on the lookout for the enemy team picking me over most of my teammates due to how high priority taking out the healer is.

Only time the game (the one in question, Overwatch) has been easy was playing against a team who didn't get the simple notion to kill the healer, which isn't often.

twdnewh_k

Typical mentality of a lot of dd players. 'Let me play dd cause its difficult and you guys heal me cause its easy'.

FoxSpirit

She's been pointless since launch
No way, especially in SoloQ you often get far too little healing in as Lucio because people poke out their head too much. So strong solo heal was much better.
But now Ana can do even more Solo Heal plus has great CC and doesn't have to wait for an age when switching from blaster to heal.
At least to upcoming resurrection invulnerability is a great QoL adjustment, it's great fun on PTR.

Play Medic in Killing Floor 1, OP.

Really important class on higher difficulties, but can also be depended to take down the strongest enemies.

Every game is consistent for the healer: heal damaged allies and stay as safe as possible. Win or lose, it's easy to fulfil your purpose. Healers may depend on damage dealers (dd) to win, but dd depend on healers to even function. Complex, algorithmic matchmaking (mm) systems can also force you into the healer class forever. When you try your hand at damage, mm does not know you are practicing damage. It expects you to do the job - a job you cannot do well.

Healers are only redeemed by their easy, noob-friendly gameplay that can make a game accessible to a wider audience.

This is why I am looking forward to leaving Overwatch for Splatoon 2 - no healer class and no mm memory. I can get to S+ and not be expected to use rollers forever, because there is no record of me using rollers.
They are easy to use but extremely difficult to master. If you play a half decent team you will have a huge target on your back and then that's where you can see if someone is a great healer or bad one. With this mentality please leave overwatch and don't return with the terrible view on the backbone of the team.

Nordicus

Play Medic in Killing Floor 1, OP.

Really important class on higher difficulties, but can also be depended to take down the strongest enemies.
Didn't really play medic past Hard, but from my experience Medic didn't try to touch Scrake or Fleshpound unless one got right in Sharpshooter's or Demo's face. Was way better off making sure they weren't surrounded by trash Clots, Crawlers and the like. Another somewhat thankless but insanely important job, it can take one stubborn Clot to cause a whole team to start crumbling.

I kinda miss the high skill ceiling healing shots in KF1. KF2 homing healing syringes are a nice convenience, but I got thanked a lot for clutch heal trick shots in 1.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
well the OP is fair tho he says he mains hanzo.
stop giving him so much flak gaf

J-Rod

I don't play overwatch, but in general for games, I think DD is most often the easiest and most insignificant role compared to support, healer, and tank classes. DDs also seem to blame the other roles when things go wrong, and in a way they are right, since DDs are usually a dime a dozen and interchangeable compared to the more critical healer or tank roles.

Met many OPs during my MMO life. If they insisted on that shit I'd just let them die and quit, usually someone better came after that. If you don't respect you don't deserve any.

TheExodu5

Banned
I don't play overwatch, but in general for games, I think DD is most often the easiest and most insignificant role compared to support, healer, and tank classes. DDs also seem to blame the other roles when things go wrong, and in a way they are right, since DDs are usually a dime a dozen and interchangeable compared to the more critical healer or tank roles.

By DD you mean damage/DPS classes?

For Overwatch, DPS will make or break the team more than anything. Havging the right team composition is essential, but a bad DPS will sink your team. A good DPS can carry in a lot of situations. I'd rather have a bad Lucio and a good Genji than vice versa.

That being said, people that refuse to switch to tank or heals when the team needs them eill sink the team just as fast.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Do you need a main healer in Souls?

No?

Boom.

Make MMO combat more Souls-like where you can avoid any and all damage with invincibility frames and you've solved the trinity problem.

Or you can just keep making tab target MMOs I dunno.

I would love a persistent online Souls game but it would get rid of the need for team-based gameplay where people play different roles. You'd have to basically limit groups to 4 players maximum and your team composition would likely be irrelevant for any encounter unless you balance combat around enemey resistances requiring you to bring along toons of varying damage types.

nOoblet16

Healer gameplay is noob friendly? lol Try playing a healer against a good team that always tries to take down a healer. Despite Ana's insane burst heal potential and Zenyatta's auto heal you require a LOT of skill to be good with them especially good teams since both have to contribute to fights at the same time as healing. Even Lucio needs to be aware of team positioning and enemy positioning to be effective. Mercy is the only easy heal but she can't do as much as others and it shows because no one really picks her in the meta.

And healers "may depend" on damage dealers to win? What nonsense !
Healers can't win without damage dealers and vice versa.

Symbiotx

lol this post thread was posted like a true DPS player - the kind that won't switch to something the team needs no matter what. Thank goodness he's going to Splatoon, I don't need him on my team in competitive. I'll be there healing 30% of the team's damage.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Nothing pisses me off more in Overwatch when a goddamn Hanzo main looks down on a healer or tells them what to do. More often than not in the general games I've played, it's usually the fucking useless Hanzo not getting picks or contributing that causes us to lose. I've seen some dominant Widowmakers but the useful Hanzo is extremely rare. Anytime a Hanzo player tells me what to do as a support character, I tell them to shut the fuck up abe mute them.

I've NEVER seen anyone switch to a Hanzo to turn the tide of a battle, but I have seen someone go support (specifically a healer) to win the game.

drotahorror

Playing healer does suck in Overwatch to me. I love healing in MMO's and I enjoy playing Support in MOBA's. Overwatch just doesn't feel satisfying when you heal though. I really only ever liked Zenyatta.

Anteo

(I have reported the moderator.)

LMAO

Playing healer does suck in Overwatch to me. I love healing in MMO's and I enjoy playing Support in MOBA's. Overwatch just doesn't feel satisfying when you heal though. I really only ever liked Zenyatta.

You need to play Ana, its so fun switching between healing and attacking in the middle of the fight.
Heck, even as Mercy I always get some kills of my own

foxdvd

if you believe that keeping a party of multiple person healed and buffed while keeping yourself alive and managing mana is easy and friendly well, stop killing the monsters out of the city and try some dungeons appropriate for your level

WJtgZAw.jpg

this is the greatest picture on the internet...

Meh, Overwatch's healers have some sort of interesting gameplay to them, Zenyatta's Discord, Lucio's Speed, Ana's utility, and Mercy's...................................................... she's boring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom