• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I enjoy Dark Souls 3, but I'm burned out.

So far I played and completed each entry from Demon's to Bloodborne at least once, I even platinum'd Demon's back in the day (the addiction was real.)

Despite DS3 being pretty fun and so far better than its predecessor (which I still adored), I can't help but feel that the excitement while playing these game has gone for good. To me it all feels like a huge expansion, everything feels way too familiar and I appreciate that they tried to do sth different with Bloodborne (which is still souls through and through) but still, at this point the fatigue clearly kicks in which is a damn shame.

Who else does feel this way?

HvySky

While I totally understand where you're coming from, I can't relate personally. From has definitely been pumping out Souls games at a rapid pace since they blew up, but since Demon's it's become one of my favorite kinds of games to play and it's always a joy whenever I get to experience a new one. I'll be ecstatic if and when they decide to do another.

Deku Tree

Bloodborne was my first game so I don't feel burnt out. Currently loving DS3. But I understand franchise fatigue. I think this is why FROM is gonna make something different next time too.

Vex_

Banned
I felt the same way.

And no mistake this is a GOOD THING! This means the game had a ton of content. I compare it to eating a good meal and feeling full afterwards and not hungry.

If you enjoyed your meal, and are full afterwards(can't eat anymore), then the chef did his job. I love dark souls series because I never feel cheated for my money. I know I'm gonna feel full/satisfied afterwards. Plenty of content/food.

Greddleok

A souls game every year is too much for me. I'm still plugging away on the Bloodborne DLC. Especially as I 100%ed SOTFS last year also.

Probably won't pick up DS until the winter. A break between the games is pretty important, they can be quite draining.

I feel the same way. Started with Demons Souls, played thru all the soulsborne games up to now (got all the achievements in some of them too) and I just stopped halfway thru DS3. I'm pretty sure its for the same reasons.

I consciously chose to skip DS3 specifically because this reason. I try to put series/genres on the shelf before fatigue sets in rather than after or else I will not want to return to it for an extremely long time. Nothing wrong with a breather.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Yeah I can relate. Just played Bloodborne 3 months back and just finished (almost) Dark Souls 3. I just have to defeat the final boss but I can't bring myself to try a few times. Its weird. I have loved all the Souls game. Hopefully after a couple of months I will be back.

Khold

Neo Member
I was like that too. I still have to play BB and DS3, but after I finished DS2 I was pretty burned out too.

I love the Souls series but I had to recover myself because they are games that you have to really pay attention to not make any mistake.

So I went and decided to play more "casual" games, like more action games like God of War, Uncharted, fight games, fps, racing games etc. I did not touch in any game of the Souls series for a while and now I'm dying to play DS3.

Your batteries must recover, this will pass.

Manu

Proof that there is such thing as "too much of a good thing."

Not for me though, I platinum'd DS3 and I'm waiting for the DLC.

Yep. Its a fantastic game but if you played hundreds of hours of DS1 and DS2 then this really does feel like a massive retread.

I mean DS2 had a ton of serious issues but it felt like more like a sequel, it felt like its own game. Where is DS3 is clearly better in terms of combat design, enemy encounters, level design etc and but it just feels like its doing the same thing DS1 did but with better graphics. Its almost like a DS1 remake at times, so you end up burning out on it faster since it feels like you have played this already.

Nosgotham

Yeah they need to chill on it. Was my favorite series but none Im kinda burned, I'd rather just replay demons souls

vibbon

Neo Member
I feel.

I got to the crabby woods and just turned the game off. Haven't picked it back up in a couple weeks.

Yeah, I'm getting super burned out. I don't know if I'll even finish NG+5.

(Where are you at in the game? The middle of the game is very much the nadir in my opinion, and despite the obvious sarcasm in my statement above I do sort of find myself wondering if I care enough to play through that Farron Keep -> Demon Ruins stretch every time through.)

psychotron

I got into the Souls series late, so my play order was all over the map. Started with BB, then DS2, but stopped temporarily when 3 came out, and beat that. I plan to go back and play DS1 as well, as I have it via backward compatibility on XB1.

I enjoyed 3 very much and felt no fatigue at all playing it, but after going back to finish Scholar of the First Sin, I'm starting to feel it. The game is just really, really long. Every time I think I'm nearing endgame, there's a ton more to do. I like the game a lot, but feel it could have used some trimming.

Yea we need a break.

Not from this combat system though. It just feels top of the line for a 3rd person fantasy action rpg.

Like if Witcher 3 had Souls combat, oh man I'd play it a ton more than I already did.

dlauv

I beat it four times collecting all of the rings. The only thing now left to is grind concords. I think I'll average one a year, because I'm so burnt out.

I'm glad he's ending the series on a high note. The most polished Souls entry, and a perfect walk through familiar tropes with a kind of greatest hits reverence. I'm satisfied. I don't need anymore.

Audioboxer

Putting Bloodborne out into the mix has caused that a little with DS3 for me. It's more that I need a Bloodborne 2 with all out attacking play again.

DS3 has scratched the build viability and PVP itch. Although From can easily bulk up a Bloodborne 2 with more armour and weapons.

Although a BB2 probably means PS4 exclusivity which I know would piss off a lot of people. Maybe if they can just do both. A BB2 and another new game.

Vitor711

Yeah, beat DkS3 including all secret bosses and had no urge to go into NG+, which s a first for the series. Especially knowing that they didn't change up enemy placements or even really make mobs much tougher at all.

Liked my time with it but yeah, it felt too safe and I preferred BB's willingness to try new things (even if some of those new things sucked, such as blood vials instead of estus).

ike_

Yep. Its a fantastic game but if you played hundreds of hours of DS1 and DS2 then this really does feel like a massive retread.

I mean DS2 had a ton of serious issues but it felt like more like a sequel, it felt like its own game. Where is DS3 is clearly better in terms of combat design, enemy encounters, level design etc and but it just feels like its doing the same thing DS1 did but with better graphics. Its almost like a DS1 remake at times, so you end up burning out on it faster since it feels like you have played this already.

Yep, I'm right here.

Pejo

I don't have fatigue of the Souls formula, but I got turned off farming the damn covenant items because the multiplayer is so fucked in this iteration. There's 3 things that ruined it for me:

- Chugging is too fast, and there's too many chugs across all phantoms.
- Invading is now almost always 1v3 or more
- Summoning Covenants not working correctly.

Combine all of this and the bs Poise system, and it's just super tedious to try to get the covenant items. I've been trying to farm proofs and shackles while equipped with Darkmoon covenant, and it's just been awful. I've actually stopped playing because of it.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
As much as I liked DS3 and Bloodborne, I finished them and haven't had the urge to get back into them at all.

I must've played through DaS1 10 times at least.

Vindicator

Haven't touched it after getting the plat but will definitely return, played all my Souls games solo/offline so it might be time for some co-op/invasions.

CHC

I feel you, to a lesser degree though. The games are still excellent, just a bit familiar. Part of what made them so exciting to begin with was the lack of familiarity and how it seemed anything could happen. Moments like being dropped into Anor Londo or winding up in the Dragon Aerie were so cool and surprising, but now that we sort of know the limits of the Dark Souls world and the kind of things we do / don't find in it, the thrill of exploration is slightly diminished.

Still love the games, but I'm definitely looking forward to something fresh from From.

Yeah, I binged pretty hard on DS3 but I definitely feel a bit done with it right now. I'll definitely be playing it again but it never quite hit that same level of addiction I got from the other games (DS2 and Bloodborne especially). It just doesn't feel quite as replayable to me.

SomTervo

Bloodborne was my first game so I don't feel burnt out. Currently loving DS3. But I understand franchise fatigue. I think this is why FROM is gonna make something different next time too.

Yeah, Miyazaki is on record saying 'We have to progress, we can't just keep making this shit'

He's clearly a guy with his head screwed on, so I don't doubt they're going to move in an interesting direction in the next couple of years.

vpance

I feel sort of the same OP.

Haven't managed to finish BB, and got sidetracked with other games I'd rather play over DS3. I did put in 2 hrs the other day though. Nothing really wrong with the game but the formula is getting stale, especially when they don't bother to up their tech and graphics standards.

I love the gameplay style, but I hope they stick to their guns and don't make another Dark Souls. Similarly, I think Bloodborne is a fantastic self-contained story and world, and in no way needs a sequel (with regards to story). I can take more of these games, but I want new worlds and settings, and I certainly don't need a yearly installment. I want to see what else they can do now, this is the time to do something new and exciting - not bash out a string of Soulsborne games until everyone is sick of them.

Foggy

Pizza still tastes good to me. So to answer your question, not really. If these were 60+ hour mammoths then I'd probably get burned out. As long as the quality is still high, I got no complaints.

OneUh8

I'm kinda with you. I had no desire to go back to DS3 after I finished it. The past games I Would immediately start up NG+. The game is good, just maybe played too much Bloodborne the past year.

zma1013

I thought I would be burnt out but no, the force is strong with this one. I can't stop playing. I want to make more characters, try every weapon, pvp in every area. It makes me also want to go back and play through the others again. I've been stuck in a Dark Souls hole for a month now and it looks like it will continue for some time.

Carlius

Banned
i am beating dark souls 3 for the third time just so i can get the cheevos over with and the more i play it the more annoying it becomes, specially at some points of the game where it really is just a chore, specially with the BULLSHIT poise system as someone mentioned above.

its a good game, but nowhere near as good as 1 or 2 in my opinion. I just want to get it over with unlike 2 where i enjoyed the whoop ass i was getting.

Ferr986

I'm not burned out and I love the game but gotta agree with this. DS3 feels too safe at times, and too familiar, it's like you been on these zones a lot of times before.

I'm still in for the awesome gameplay on coop and pvp but I don't enjoy running through the game as much.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Same here, didn't even buy DS3. I really hope Miyazaki's next title is something completely different.

KorrZ

Felt that way heavily with Bloodborne. Coming off of my disappointment with DS2 (which I never finished) it really ruined my first impressions of Bloodborne, which is a shame because I think I would have liked it way more without the fatigue.

DS3 felt like a rejuvenation for me though. I think it's the best in the series for me personally.

Yeah I skipped this one myself. Demon's Souls is one of my favourite games and I loved Bloodborne but I can't do these games every year. It looks good but I don't have any real desire to play it right now.

The Chef

Everyone who loves the souls series in this thread and skipping this game really missed out.
DS3 is SO good and makes me want to go back and play some more BB.
I cant get enough of it.

Rezae

I just beat DS3 a few days ago. Excellent game. I love the Souls series and have played every game multiple times. I have no desire to replay DS3. It also lacked many memorable moments for me personally. I don't know, maybe I'm getting burnt out. The world just didn't draw me in like past games. Still maybe my GOTY so far, but something just seemed off with it compared to past titles.

Kazuhira

Switching back and forth between the 3 games lately and it's still fun,the transition from ds1/3 gameplay to ds2 is rough but being the hardest game of the trilogy makes up for that.
I'll never feel burned out of this franchise by the look of it.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
DS3 does everything well, but feels creatively exhausted.

Its not the series, it's the game itself that's lacking. A key part of the appeal of the games is the sense that you are exploring an unknown and mysterious world, DS3 feels more like a nostalgic theme-park. Its not too damaging the first time through because at least you have bosses to anticipate, but on replay when you know the lay of the land and where big encounters happen it falls flat.

At which point I found myself keenly aware of how lacking in ideas, character, and innovation this new entry was... and my interest fell off a cliff.

What's doubly damning to me is the feeling that there's very little FROM can do to make DS3 a title that stands on its own feet with patches and DLC. Its simply too mired in past glories to ever become its own thing; its constant call-backs to past glories simply remind me of how great and memorable those games were, whereas DS3 itself is fairly anonymous and uninteresting.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I feel the same. It's a good game (first half is brilliant) but I knew while I was playing it that I was burned out. Was glad to just get to the credits to be honest.

I think in a couple of years I'll be refreshed and raring to get stuck into Bloodborne 2.

jay

I also feel this way. Demons, Dark, and BB are my favorites. These games share a ton but are different enough to be sequels, whereas the actual sequels feel way too similar.

Top Bottom