• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I enjoy Dark Souls 3, but I'm burned out.

mario_O

Well, DS3 is definitely guilty of 'more of the same'. I did enjoy it however, and finished it in a week.The new engine, visual upgrade, made it appealing for me, but yeah it's all too familiar.

Persona7

Banned
3 is the return of the GOAT because the gap in between 2 and 3 took forever and bloodborne is a terrible game that despite being based on the dark souls skeleton fails to reach the status and quality of any dark souls game.

So no, it is exactly what I wanted. and Dark Souls 2 came out two years ago. It's only been out a few weeks and I've already played over 100 hours.

doofy102

That's why the middle dips so hard for me. The flatter levels (Crucifixion Woods, Farron Keep, Smouldering Lake) are really mediocre compared to the more vertical ones (High Walls, Irythyll, Grand Archives). I really feel those mid-game doldrums on repeat plays.

That's how I feel about the forbidden woods in Bloodborne. But I think I like the woodsy areas of Dark Souls 3 more.

MilkBeard

That's why the middle dips so hard for me. The flatter levels (Crucifixion Woods, Farron Keep, Smouldering Lake) are really mediocre compared to the more vertical ones (High Walls, Irythyll, Grand Archives). I really feel those mid-game doldrums on repeat plays.

I will say that, upon return, Farron Keep is probably the worst area in the game. Simply because it's just ugly in a lot of ways. I don't, on the other hand, have an issue with Catacombs of Carthus like some people do.

But what's true is that the beginning areas (high wall and undead settlement), and then the game from Irithyl onwards, is top notch.

KyleP29

i burned out on Bloodborne. Clearly a great game, enjoyed the 30 hours i put into it, but it just didn't keep me engaged once other games came out.

By the time Dark Souls 3 came out i was ready for another souls game and really enjoyed it as a result.

Perhaps ill head back to bloodborne eventually, but i want to wait for the dark souls 3 dlc first.

Mr Git

I think I expected this feeling in myself, so made a conscious decision not to get SOTFS yet (played hundreds of hours of DS2 vanilla) as a way of not burning myself out, as was a bit scared to. But thoroughly enjoying invading on DS3 - a nice reprieve after BB's very limited online, so my absolute obsession has been rekindled, Ashen One.

I will say that, upon return, Farron Keep is probably the worst area in the game. Simply because it's just ugly in a lot of ways. I don't, on the other hand, have an issue with Catacombs of Carthus like some people do.

I'm not super engaged by the Catacombs, but man, are they ever just not there on repeat playthroughs. That place must be a speedrunner's dream, because even just playing mostly casually I'm in and out in a couple of minutes.

Farron overstays its welcome pretty hard. There's just not enough interesting gameplay elements to stretch out over that massive swath of nothing terrain, and it seems like all the encounter designs really suffer for having to be built around the stipulation "the player probably won't be able to move very well while fighting".

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Played up to NG++ on 3 characters, still love Souls gameplay.

That said, so much about 3 is uninteresting. The bosses and the level design are by far the weakest in the series imo. I hope the DLC brings a lot of spice because the game sorely needs it.

Manu

That said, so much about 3 is uninteresting. The bosses and the level design are by far the weakest in the series imo. I hope the DLC brings a lot of spice because the game sorely needs it.

Do you believe DS2 had better bosses than DS3, on average? Before DLC too.

orborborb

It's not you, it's Dark Souls 3. The new ideas it brings are barely worth mentioning, and the old ideas are re-introduced and re-arranged with LESS thought and care rather than more (in other words, the opposite of what Dark Souls did as a follow-up to Demon's Souls). Bloodborne and Dark Souls 2 had some more obvious problems, but they also both had lots of great stuff in them that wasn't in Dark Souls 1 at all.

hao chi

I'm really enjoying Dark Souls 3, but I am definitely ready for From to work on something else. I'd actually love it if they did a horror game soon. I think they could make something very cool based on some of the stuff they've done in the Souls-type games - particularly Bloodborne.

I'd still play a new Souls game if they made one, but I wouldn't be as excited as I normally would unless there was a significant wait until the next game, or it's a Bloodborne-type of game where they took much of the framework from Souls but added a new setting and its own gameplay ideas and philosophies.

sviri

I wasn't burnt out until I was in the process of grinding out the platinum. I'm not going to play it anymore until the expansions.

I just need more content.

Yikes, Farron Keep is one of the worst locations the series has to offer. This was the first time for me in the series where I felt that the experience was just tedious. Nevertheless I trudged through this shithole and now hope that I finished the worst part of the game.

The boss was cool though, a bit easy tbh.

I'm still coming back for more because the game has me addicted but the feeling of wonder has definitely gone completely. :(

eXistor

I've played and beaten them all at their respective releases, but Im glad they're not doing more Souls games (at least I really hope they stick to their guns). DS3, as good as it was, really was just more of the same, something I don't want sequels to do in general. It helps that in this case "more of the same" means another genius game, but I can't help but feel I've seen it all one too many times. Kinda like the NSMB games I guess; they're insanely well designed games, but there comes a point when you just want something new.

AzureFlame

I'm burned and dissapointed, no new surprises,very easy bosses ( except for 1 or 2 maybe ) and dissapointing NG+ in terms of difficulty and content.

It was a fun ride tho, alot of fanservice.

aravuus

I love the game, but I stopped playing after the Irithyll Valley boss some weeks ago. Just didn't feel like playing it for some reason, so I haven't gone back to it. Kind of glad this is the last Souls game for a while, I gotta say.

I'll probably start a new playthrough during the summer.

illamap

Im not burned at all, for me that happens only if the game original game wasnt all that great to begin with. For me whole year is a big time, i really dont see whats the difference between 2-5 year wait for burning out. I suspect the annualaised with franchises just have bad name for whatever reason.

daninthemix

I've played DS3 through five times already and still love it. The thing is, outside of FROM's games no-one else does worlds as good as this, as intricate or elaborate. It's the kind of detail you saw in the 2D Metroid games, but in 3D here.

That said the lack of poise really pisses me off, especially as various enemies have copious poise. Either give us poise or take away the enemy's.

kc44135

Yeah, I feel the same way, OP. I love the series, and Dark Souls 3 certainly isn't a bad game, but I just haven't been able to bring myself to play all the way through it as of yet. It's just not doing anything particularly new or exciting, and I guess I just honestly need more to keep me engaged 5 games in to this series/genre, or whatever you want to call it. The weapon arts are pretty much the only new mechanic in DS3, but they feel very half-baked to me, and most of them aren't even really that useful. I also disliked the constant fan-service for the sake of fan-service. It just feels like From has finally to begun to run out of ideas with this one, and I'm honestly a bit disappointed with Dark Souls 3. I'm hoping that I'll change my mind when I do eventually go back to the game, though.

I could probably go for one more. But it's probably a good thing that From has said they're going to be trying for something new next time.

Loved Dark Souls 3 as much as I loved Dark Souls 2 and Bloodborne, but they are not as fresh as Dark Souls 1 was.

Not sure how they are going to improve on perfection though (or veer away from it while still achieving similar greatness), but it'll be good to see them try at least.

Not burned out in the least. DS3 is like the greatest hits remastered version of the best parts of DS1 and DS2, executed with masterful attention and a high level of polish.

Enemy design is continuously surprising and brilliant. Level design is gorgeous, full of neat little setpieces, and almost always super memorable. And it doesn't even have to be! The game looks amazing just fighting standard undead in a simple hallway.

The lighting in this game is so sick. Magic looks so cool. Even just missing and swinging into the wall creates the coolest spark effect ever.

Still working through my first playthrough w over 100 hours clocked (at the library now). Can't wait to sink my teeth into some alt builds and the optional areas.

The Boat

Yeah I feel the same and I already felt it with 2. Between that and lack of time, haven't even finished the game even though I'm loving it.

Forkball

I high enjoyed all three Dark Souls games, but I also feel your sentiment. From Dark Souls I to Dark Souls III, the amount of new features and upgrades has been completely minuscule. I know some people will come in here and say "but the speed is totally different!" but honestly all three feel the same. I'm sure if I played them back to back I would notice, but it's not like the combat system has had a drastic overhaul. I mean what huge features have they added throughout the life of the series? I would argue the biggest one is simply the ability to warp to any bonfire from the start. Combat is largely the same, roll and then hit things in the butt. The FP meter was totally useless 99% of the time since I play melee characters.

These games work because there's nothing like them. You only get the Dark Souls Experience™ from this series. But after three games, I think I'm satisfied enough with what it accomplished. I want FROM to do something new, or another developer to take a whack at what a Souls clone could be from a different perspective.

big_z

The first dark souls was magic, it had fresh gameplay and tons of mystery behind it. It felt like you never knew what to expect every new area you traversed.

Every game since, including bloodborne, has refined the gameplay but the sense of unknown and awe had lessened. By dark souls 3 the magic was gone even though the game is the most refined in the series. It felt more like running a "best of" challenge gauntlet. Nothing really surprised.

Fbh

Dark Souls 3 has more of a "setting fatigue" than franchise fatigue.

The Dark medieval world they created is awesome but it's also clear that there is only so much you can do with it. Except for 2 or 3, all new locations feel very familiar even if they are completely new, because they are concepts we have already visited several times before (the castle, the swamp, the undergound dungeon, etc).
It's also why
boreal valley
was my favorite location in DS3, it's one of the few areas that didn't give me a feeling of deja vu

That's why despite the fact that I loved my time with Ds3 and I'm soon going to start NG+, Bloodborne is still my favorite Souls game this gen. It has everything I love about the Souls franchise: awesome combat, level design, art direction and bosses. But the world and setting felt fresh and exciting.

I hope it's not too long before we get a new Souls-like game (they have only said DSIII was the last Dark Souls, they have never said they won't do other project in the same style like they did with Bloodborne), but when it comes I also hope it uses a completely new world and setting (like Sci Fi)

taoofjord

I'm a little burned out although I did third playthroughs of Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne right before DS3 came out. There's nothing wrong with being burned out and I'm really happy we got five great games in the series. Now is a great time for From Software to do something new and they can always revisit the series later on if they feel inspired to.

The first dark souls was magic, it had fresh gameplay and tons of mystery behind it. It felt like you never knew what to expect every new area you traversed.

Every game since, including bloodborne, has refined the gameplay but the sense of unknown and awe had lessened. By dark souls 3 the magic was gone even though the game is the most refined in the series. It felt more like running a "best of" challenge gauntlet. Nothing really surprised.

Except for Bloodborne, which I felt to be very mysterious and surprising, I agree. But to be fair this will happen with any series and often toward the end of the first entry in a new IP as well.

Frozone

Yeap. I felt the same way with DS2 and never finished it after 80hrs of playing. I'm a little over 60hrs in DS3 and it's better in every way, but I'm not feeling like playing it heavily. So I'll randomly play throughout the week. Oh well.

I feel exactly the same OP. Even though I enjoyed the game, I felt little excitement playing. Even entering boss fights for the first time wasn't the same anymore.

It's time to put the whole Dark Souls IP to rest, and move on.

I'm burned and dissapointed, no new surprises,very easy bosses ( except for 1 or 2 maybe ) and dissapointing NG+ in terms of difficulty and content.

It was a fun ride tho, alot of fanservice.

What could they even do difficulty wise?
Long time players are just too good now to make bosses that are as difficult as you remember them being in Demon's or Dark Souls 1 without just making encounters and bosses outright cheap.
Some more phantoms in NG+ would be nice but it's not a big difference to me either.

I doubt you'll find many who agree with that opinion. Saying Dark Souls 2 has better level design than 3 might be the closest thing to an objectively wrong opinion I've ever seen. Same for bosses, though I guess that one's more debatable
if you're insane

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I'm more burned out because its so referential. The game doesnt feel like it has an identity of its own, like I'm playing a fanboy's version of DS3 where we have a million DS1 references and a few DS2 ones (cause its the bad one).

I'm hoping the DLC will actually go into some of the new bits of lore that were overshadowed by all the callbacks, like the deep or the pilgrims or Gertrude. The only exceptions I make to this are anything to do with Velka.

Fatigue hit me half way through bloodborne was the first time it felt like a chore to beat a souls game was also the first souls game I beat and never played it again. Dark souls 3 I will pick up closer to the end of the year to see if the spark comes back.

Lernaean

Banned
I agree with OP.
DS3 is probably the best in the series, it's most likely my GotY, but i finished it and never touched it again. Will stay this way until the DLC.
The fatigue is real. I'm ready for something new.

Hobbun

I understand the online component for the Souls’ games is an important aspect. But that the servers have been taken offline for at least one of them, are they still worthwhile to play through single player? Are you missing ‘too much’ if you only play single-player?

I am LTTP with the franchise, and thinking about trying them out.

kc44135

Seriously guys, play Nioh when it comes out ^_^.

I second this. I thought the Nioh Alpha was great, and that it was fresh, unique, and exciting in all the ways DS3 wasn't for me. Anyone who loves Souls but is looking for something new should give it a chance.

Ferr986

I understand the online component for the Souls’ games is an important aspect. But that the servers have been taken offline for at least one of them, are they still worthwhile to play through single player? Are you missing ‘too much’ if you only play single-player?

I am LTTP with the franchise, and thinking about trying them out.

online component is for PvP and help players go through areas. You can perfectly do everything offline and you don't miss much other than that.

Seriously guys, play Nioh when it comes out ^_^.

Didn't feel the alpha. There was a good game but underneath a lot of tedious stuff.

Top Bottom