• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I feel this image in a teaser implies Sony is getting Crash back

TL21xx

Banned
Totally on board with this. I've been disappointed with the direction Sony's firsr party efforts have gone, and would love to see some more gameplay-focused titles out of their studios like in the PSX days. A new Crash from a proper developer (preferably ND or Cerny's team) would be a great asset to diversify the lineup.

Empty

Crash would be a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge waste of money. Gigantic. He has absolutely no sway in the market these days.

if they made a big budget game. yeah. obviously it can't command an uncharted budget. but i think the character returning would be enough marketing to get people interested by playing with ps1 nostalgia. it's not like sonic where there's a game every year, there hasn't been an old school crash in ages.

if you look at the psn sales charts all the crash games are consistent high sellers. up there with ffvii. i think there's a market.

TriGen

Sanzaru could do a new Crash if Sony got the IP. They did Sly, and I'm not sure ND will go back to a Crash-like game. Seeing that Jak concept art that they were considering before TloU scares me. They really want to go darker, so I'm not sure Crash would suit modern ND.

daman824

While I would buy it, I honestly don't see more than one game being made no matter the developers or budget. Platformers on non nintendo systems are dying. And Crash doesn't have a lot of recognition (he's sly level). I'd guess the game would be treated like sly 4. Given to a small developer and released quietly at a discounted price. It would be cheaper to make an hd remake.

TnK

This world needs a new well made Crash game. Would be an awesome addition to the PS4 library.

Now, if we can also have Spyro as well.

Darknight

I dont think this is true. Why? Because the GAF insiders have not said one word/hint. Normally they do that when there is a rumor floating and they just wink or something.

So mort not saying anything = Crash is a dead ip. Let it go guys.

N.Domixis

Banned
While I would buy it, I honestly don't see more than one game being made no matter the developers or budget. Platformers on non nintendo systems are dying. And Crash doesn't have a lot of recognition (he's sly level). I'd guess the game would be treated like sly 4. Given to a small developer and released quietly at a discounted price. It would be cheaper to make an hd remake.
Crash bandicoot games on psn are always at the top of the ps1 charts so I would say more people know him then sly.

RaikuHebi

Banned
I dont think this is true. Why? Because the GAF insiders have not said one word/hint. Normally they do that when there is a rumor floating and they just wink or something.

So mort not saying anything = Crash is a dead ip. Let it go guys.
If they revealed anything there would be no fun left.

Plus this seems like the kind of ultimate super secret thing that only a very select group of people know.

Shut up Bill!

Exentryk

Need a higher quality version of the trailer to be sure that it is indeed Crash in that sign.

whatsthat7wd6g.jpg

Thaster

I was never a huge fan of Crash Bandicoot games myself but I'd definitely like to give 'em a shot if new one was released.

It would be awesome if Sony does end up acquiring the rights for Crash. That'll just give them more IPs to work with!

Matriox

It could work if they bring back the Crash commercials too. The ones with the dude in the Crash costume.

Hahahaha... completely forgot all about these... Good stuff.

I would love to see a Mario Galaxyesq game from Crash, otherwise im not sure entirely how this would work. Hopefully not a dark transformation into GTA+Crash like Jak and Daxter did, but what do I know, I'd buy it anyways...

StayDead

Crash was my childhood platformer. I didn't get into Mario until the GBA and I loved Crash all the way up until Wrath of Cortex and then it jumped off a cliff.

Please bring back my childhood. This and the Parrapa the Rappa rumours are making me squee.

Bizarf. Daxter and Lost Frontier were terrible.

No, you sir are wrong. Both titles reviewed really well. Personally, I love the flight combat and the upgrading of ships in Lost Frontier. But then again, I am playing on Vita so I have the luxury of the right analog stick to control the camera.

Lijik

No, you sir are wrong. Both titles reviewed really well. Personally, I love the flight combat and the upgrading of ships in Lost Frontier. But then again, I am playing on Vita so I have the luxury of the right analog stick to control the camera.

I will defend Lost Frontier to the death, but beyond a few standout levels and some smart design decisions (i like how they handled the health/phases of the bosses- follows the rule of 3 while giving a longer fight) Daxter is pretty mediocre. I was most shocked when the credits rolled and the writers turned out to be from Naughty Dog

If there's a new Sony Crash game I hope the bosses' names fade away with the segments of their health bars like in the original trilogy. Always liked that for some reason.

Skyzard

Banned
Crash has been in enough bad games these last years, leave him alone.

Your loss for missing out on PSASBR, it's never leaving my Vita.

Character DLC, take the game to PS+ next year and then make a new crash game, not (just) HD remake of the classics, if need be, do those afterwards. Keep it cheap, pretty and faithful. Add enough challenge because kids don't care about crash how we want him, it's for the fans.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
This would be awesome if true because it would mean we would finally get decent Crash-games again. DO IT SONY

Omg please be true please be true!!!!

I was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO freaking disappointed when Crash wasn't in Playstation All Stars Battle Royale.

Pachimari

Really, I gotta get some perspective.

Where does this rumor come from? Is it only the sign from that trailer which indicates something Crash Bandicoot related or have some insider said Sony have bought back the license?

TheOGB

Banned
Not gonna lie, I was very relieved when Naughty Dog's thing tonight was Uncharted.

So what does this rumor have going for it now (basically what the previous post is asking)

Crash = dead ip
Spyro = the hero of Skylanders

I don't think Sony has enough money to buy Spyro.

Hasn't Skylanders completely transcended Spyro at this point? He's just one of a hundred plus characters, isn't he? So if they sold him off (which I doubt they'd be interested in doing anyway), they could just remove him from the game and the series would be perfectly fine. Or as part of the purchase, Sony could give Activision a free license so that they can continue including him.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Hasn't Skylanders completely transcended Spyro at this point? He's just one of a hundred plus characters, isn't he? So if they sold him off (which I doubt they'd be interested in doing anyway), they could just remove him from the game and the series would be perfectly fine. Or as part of the purchase, Sony could give Activision a free license so that they can continue including him.
Activision should just rename their "Spyro" Pugsy.

Couldn't this just mean that "Crash likes Sony Computer Entertainment" ?

Like he's giving it the thumbs up!

Are you saying boo or boo urns?

fvng

It's Sony's mascot! Playstation All-Stars bombed because he wasnt in the game and Cerny quickly made Knack to try and have a substitute in the PS4 library. It's absolutely an important IP to Sony or it should be. It would be like Sega without Sonic, Microsoft without Master Chief, and Nintendo without Mario!!!!

Crash was Sony unofficial mascot, but I agree with your point the world has moved on from Crash.

He was their mascot in the 90s, I remember that clearly, but not anymore, the seemed happy to sell him off to Activision. As of right now I feel like Drake is the ideal mascot for their brand, a GQ-esque hero that appeals to 20 to 30 something audiences and substantially less geeky than master chief with 50x more charisma and charm.

He was their mascot in the 90s, I remember that clearly, but not anymore, the seemed happy to sell him off to Activision. As of right now I feel like Drake is the ideal mascot for their brand, a GQ-esque hero that appeals to 20 to 30 something audiences and substantially less geeky than master chief with 50x more charisma and charm.

Was he actually sold to Activision from Sony? I thought Naughty Dog at the time worked for Universal Studios, and then Activision bought it off them or something.

Top Bottom