• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I give up - Here's the Project Cafe (Wii 2) Mockup Thread (2400 baud warning)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is really to get all the images out of the main thread. I'll spend some time tonight back tracking through the OT to find all of the recent ones.
-PXG- said:
Sketching some of my own mockups. Here is a concept for the logo at least :p
streamgnph.png

This is the best thing I've seen all thread:
JoshuaJSlone said:
So not a Café mockup exactly, but hearing that the controller could be radically different from the Wii's made me want to instead mock up what I'd like to see from an evolution of the wiimote/nunchuk pair. A few odd colorings and misnamed buttons, but fixing them would be more trouble than it's worth.
20110423wiimoteplusplus.jpg

And its companion piece, a much shittier image since it's hard to find nunchuk pictures as good as the remote one used for the basis of the above.
20110423nunchukplusplus.jpg

Confirmed by Nintendo, no. Solidly agreed upon by the rumors, including ones which got the Café name right, yes.
So Awesomesauce:
radioheadrule83 said:
I couldn't be bothered doing analogs and triggers for the pad, just wanted to see what the model would look like with a slot drive...

hecbG.gif
Luigison said:
Here was my idea along those lines.
5519402.jpg

According to the summary on Nintendo Everything the screen only "iPad" won't happen though.: "Nintendo feels that gaming is better with buttons, so you won’t see a machine without them."

If you use Firefox here's an easy solution: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/rehost-image/

I use http://picturepush.com/upa because it's free, doesn't require registration, and has previewing with options for sizes, HTML, and forum BBcode to make it easier (and link to their site).
JasonMCG said:
Don't forget my unedited render! :p

sSHAM.jpg
Kintaco said:
ijr1S.png

To match the iPod Touch description I've been reading about.
Fernando Rocker said:
Last one.

Ek8ze.png
house said:
So here is my "mock-up". I just took my favourite controller and tacked a screen onto it.

10ni2dl.jpg
Retro said:
People seemed to like the idea of the display being set on the tabletop a few pages back It occurred to me last night that a controller could be built to allow the screen to remain upright, for when the player isn't actually playing (standby mode) or using the Wiimote;

Click here for Full-Screen Mockup with Labels

The two controller 'halves' are locked in a fixed position, but the screen can be tilted independently to provide the optimal view or adjust the camera angle. The screen can be tilted so that the controller 'arms' can support the screen in an upright position, like a picture frame;

4rymoi.jpg

In this way, you can set the controller up on a coffee table (wink wink) so the camera and screen are facing you, ideal for video chat or when you want to be able to see the screen but are using the motion controls.

Obviously durability is an issue; the controller would need to have some kind of durable interior frame so players can't snap the pivot around which the screen swivels up and down. That adds weight, which is always an issue, but because this is more like a standard controller, the weight is distributed in both hands or onto the lap.

I also added a couple features;

- A Micro SD slot, for memory management, downloaded games or to store photos on, allowing the controller to display pictures when in Standby mode.

- Camera and Microphone buttons, for privacy and power consumption concerns (no need to have them on if you're not using them). A speaker button is included as well, to mute the controller's speakers.

Because I have nothing better to do all day and felt like fucking off in Photoshop... :lol
Retro said:
I think just slapping Wiimote controls on an iPad isn't what Nintendo will do... at least I hope not. I don't want this to be an uncomfortable tablet with analog sticks stuck on it. I want a controller, so that's what I made.

Yeah, I went for a blue-green motif, but there's no reason it can't go down a more traditional route'

2m27t78.jpg

I updated the colors and increased the size of the Buttons and D-pad because when I printed it they were much smaller than the 360 control I am using for size comparisons.

(Shitty Cellphone pic of printed size comparison)

I still think they're too small, and the controller probably needs to be longer. When I cut it out, I want the face buttons and left analog stick closer to the screen (Start/select need to move more towards center) and I want the body to be taller so there's more to grip/rest in the palms.. but very close for a quick mockup.
banKai said:
I took Jason's tablet controller and put the buttons etc. under the screen. Excuse my poor Paint skills, but this is just to show you the general button placement. Edges etc. can be different.

bt1burweq0c65i09r.jpg
Retro said:
This looks like the Kotaku mockup that was floating around earlier;
GEWJg.jpg

ND00f.jpg
TunaLover said:
Oh come on guys, don't tell me I'm the only one that thinks that not regular corners give it a lot style.

ayn5tx.jpg

For example, Gameboy speaker corner

See?
BlackNMild2k1 said:
I don't think you understand what I did.

the way you had it the shoulder button would be below where you had the analog sticks and therefore either the shoulder buttons would be useless or more likely the analog stick and the buttons would be too high to reach.

Take the side view I edited and enlarge it to the same size as the mock-up you made and put them side by side. Do it with the unedited version you originally posted and you will see the problem.

My "fixed" version makes your design usable. It's what people were complaining about several pages back when you first posted it.

The unfixed version would be good if your controls were at the bottom of the tablet and your tablet was really tall.

edit: here is the example I did
vo4axj.jpg

which one looks usable?
KevinCow said:
The handles are way too low, but BlackNMild's version made them way too chunky. They just gotta be raised up a bit.

YcWmK.png

WTxgj.png

I also think having the grips centered vertically will make the controller feel better balanced in your hands.
Snakeyes said:
Here's my redesign of Jason's mockup.

nqjsa.png

Nice and clean.
Indyana said:
I have no idea about ergonomics and design so if someone wants to tweak the mock-up, please do it! Built from JasonMCG mock-up.
YWwjn.jpg
t5gn0o.jpg

Not in the picture:
- There are two handles in the tablet. The right one slides out so you can attach the Wiimote 2 like the original in the Wii Wheel.
- Heart rate monitor in the left handle and the Wiimote 2 handle.
- B button (and R button) in the back of the Wiimote2.
- Z button (and C/L button) in the back of the left handle of the tablet.

Control setup:
- Wiimote 2
- Tablet
- Tablet + Wiimote 2
- Wiimote 2 + Wiimote 2

If controllers are backwards compatible:
- Wiimote 2 + Nunchuk
- Classic Controller

Additional notes:
- Three buttons layout so A can be big an B in the back.
- Buttons 1 and 2 removed because this Wiimote 2 would be shorter than the original.
- 16:10 screen with a status bar like someone suggested before.
twingloxx2 said:
Made another mockup, tried to include some Gamecube and Dreamcast influences this time.

27Ru8.jpg

The one I made earlier:

WWRex.jpg

Pages 50-63 Done. I'm going to call that that. If anyone has an image that's missing that they'd like me to post, either PM me, or post the image in *THIS* thread. I'll add new images to the OP.

Zeal

Banned
first mockup is nice and functional.

matter of fact, i really don't know if the actual controller will beat some of these mockups, cause they're finally getting really good.

Indyana

Built from JasonMCG mock-up.
YWwjn.jpg
t5gn0o.jpg

Not in the picture:
- There are two handles in the tablet. The right one slides out so you can attach the Wiimote 2 like the original in the Wii Wheel.
- Heart rate monitor in the left handle and the Wiimote 2 handle.
- B button (and R button) in the back of the Wiimote2.
- Z button (and C/L button) in the back of the left handle of the tablet.

Control setup:
- Wiimote 2
- Tablet
- Tablet + Wiimote 2
- Wiimote 2 + Wiimote 2

If controllers are backwards compatible:
- Wiimote 2 + Nunchuk
- Classic Controller

Additional notes:
- Three buttons layout so A can be big an B in the back.
- Buttons 1 and 2 removed because this Wiimote 2 would be shorter than the original.
- 16:10 screen with a status bar like someone suggested before.

PS: I have no idea about ergonomics and design so if someone wants to tweak the mock-up, please do it!

pje122 said:
Wow do these look terrible... why would I ever want to hold something like that...
I'd guess that's because the real engineers/designers are working on the controller. Also I think the ergonomics of a controller are much harder to get down for a layman, especially considering this is a new type of controller we're dealing with.

But I agree.

pje122

Izayoi said:
That would be the most horribly uncomfortable thing ever. Attach the Wiimote to the right side of the main controller and we might be talking.
Its obviously detachable... otherwise it makes no fucking sense!

Indyana

Izayoi said:
That would be the most horribly uncomfortable thing ever. Attach the Wiimote to the right side of the main controller and we might be talking.
Have yo read the text below the picture?

The idea is that you can use the Wiimote alone, the tablet alone or together attaching the Wiimote to the right side of the tablet.

KAL2006

Banned
none of the mock ups so far look comfortable, I don't see why we can't have a regular controller shape like PS3/360 controller but with a screen on it.

Speevy

Banned
I'm sure this has been talked about to death, but has anyone considered the possibility of Nintendo upgrading these controllers like they do their handhelds, for example with larger, brighter screens and whatnot?

KAL2006 said:
none of the mock ups so far look comfortable, I don't see why we can't have a regular controller shape like PS3/360 controller but with a screen on it.
The main issue here is that it will probably look like ass if they do that.

Speevy said:
I'm sure this has been talked about to death, but has anyone considered the possibility of Nintendo upgrading these controllers like they do their handhelds, for example with larger, brighter screens and whatnot?
PLEASE DON'T PUT THIS IDEA INTO THEIR HEADS!!!!

D-Pad

Speevy said:
An iPad sized tablet with it's own innards... Download apps from the console, store them, and take them on the go, Streetpass functions, half the price of the console itself. Yep, I can see that.

onken

I don't think people have quite thought the practicalities of putting the sticks at non-matching heights when they're that close to the outer-edge. Hint: you would have to bend your right thumb almost double to actually use it, or hold the controller a lot lower down on one side.

Zeliard

VGChampion said:
Those all look extremely heavy and annoying to hold. No way Nintendo goes anywhere near anything like those.

The screen has always been the problem with the mockups. It's a 6" screen diagonally and everybody seems to be struggling with working that into a dual analog/triggers design.

As they should be, because fitting it on the same surface real estate as a dual analog + face buttons + d-pad is inevitably going to make the thing large and unwieldy. NGP manages a variation of that but it's a dedicated handheld rather than a controller pad, and its screen is 5" rather than 6", so working with a similar design the Nintendo controller would have to be even larger.

I think either a flip or slider mechanic or a more vertical design rather than horizontal is more likely. Something that gives the screen its own surface, like Fernando Rocker's mockup.

onken

Fernando Rocker said:
http://i.imgur.com/Ek8ze.png[img]

OP... I'm on my Android. Can you get the image from the link I just posted?

Edit: I can see my image now.[/QUOTE]

Although it's a total rip-off of an early PSP2 mock-up, this is pretty good. Neat because you could close the control panel bit off and just use the touch screen for certain games. I have my doubts about how comfortable it would be to use for a long dual-analog session, or how motion would be incorporated into it.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Why is there a 56k warning? It is the year 2011, we don't need those anymore. Anyone with a 56k modem viewing gaf likely has images turned off.

CoffeeJanitor said:
I'm sure it will look/feel fine when we finally see it/play it.

Nope, not by their past experience. For the most part, they have gone for looks over comfort on the DS and 3DS. No where to grip your hands - how hard is it for them to understand that I don't want to hold the handheld with the same fingers that I'm playing with (if I don't, it would be even more uncomfortable). I had to buy the plastic hand grips for the DS, PSP, and the Wii, because they think we leave them sitting on a table, and press buttons with our index fingers or something.

And to quote, and respond to, someone's remark from the main Project Cafe thread:

BlackNMild2k1 said:
vo4axj.jpg

which one looks usable?

Neither. That looks like the DC controller, and that one was VERY uncomfortable for me because of the fake grips on back of the controller. The grips are supposed to be under the controller, like the PS2/3, 360, Classic Controller Pro controllers, unless they want us to use our lower thumb bones to press buttons instead of the thumb ends.

Emitan

Persona7 said:
People still use 56K? Even my friends who live way out in the country have had broadband for years now.
I do a ton of GAF browsing on my cell phone. AT&T is slow as fuck for me.

Salsa

pretty funny how is probably not gonna look like any of these

was there ever a mockup that looked close to the final product ?

Mr. E. Yis said:
Nope, not by their past experience. For the most part, they have gone for looks over comfort on the DS and 3DS. No where to grip your hands - how hard is it for them to understand that I don't want to hold the handheld with the same fingers that I'm playing with (if I don't, it would be even more uncomfortable). I had to buy the plastic hand grips for the DS, PSP, and the Wii, because they think we leave them sitting on a table, and press buttons with our index fingers or something.
Well those are portables so I think it's a different deal here. The GCN controller and the Wiimote/nunchuk combo are both very comfortable.

I can understand why you might see this as a handheld-like design, though. We won't know until we see it.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
SalsaShark said:
pretty funny how is probably not gonna look like any of these

was there ever a mockup that looked close to the final product ?
A few 3DS mockups got pretty close, but they were also the ones who kept the mock up down to just a line drawing.

Calcaneus

Man, all those mock ups make the controller look kinda terrible. I guess its not the fault of the people making the mock ups though, they're working with the descriptions they got. But man.

Kritz

Banned
Drkirby said:
Why is there a 56k warning? It is the year 2011, we don't need those anymore. Anyone with a 56k modem view gaf likely has images turned off.

Bandwidth limits, bandwidth caps.

And there's no way to turn off images unless you either:

Block every imgur / tinypic / photobucket / imageshack / ablode / etc image which would take ages, and I'm sure nobody would want to cut off every image ever just for the sake of not having the one off threads with heaps of images not load.

Block every image on NeoGAF, which would include advertisements.

Create or use some script that can remove all images from the start end end of each page or do some other fancy trickery​

Unless the 'turn off images' thing in the control panel actually works now.

But, yes, there still exist people who live in third world countries such as Australia where bandwidth capping is a thing, and being reduced down to 56 / 64 / 128Kbps is pretty shitty when you try and enter a thread with heaps of images.

Also, yeah. Phones and handheld devices have absolutely shit memory, and image threads (especially ones with GIFs) will cause the page not to load or take forever to load. Or you could be on a fairly low bandwidth plan.

The way I think of mock-ups is less "this is what it will exactly look like" and more "this is the general layout of the buttons, features, and color."

That said, I like the Xbox 360 controller one best, only because it has handlebars and looks comfortable.

CoffeeJanitor said:
Well those are portables so I think it's a different deal here. The GCN controller and the Wiimote/nunchuk combo are both very comfortable.

I can understand why you might see this as a handheld-like design, though. We won't know until we see it.

I am not talking of handhelds just because this thing will have a screen - I'm talking about Nintendo R&D's ergonomics. It doesn't matter if you're holding a controller for a console, or you're holding the whole console in your hands, I'm talking about comfortability in what you are using to play the games.

The only Nintendo designs that were comfortable were N64 (because of the grips), Gamecube, Classic Controller Pro, the Wii nunchuck, and regular Wiimote (single handed,facing forward).

The ones that sucked after 30 minutes of playing were the SNES, original Gameboy/GBC, GBA.

The ones that sucked after 2 minutes of playing were the NES, GB Micro, Wiimote (2-handed, sideways for NSMB, DKC Returns, etc), Classic Controller, GBA SP, and anything else that I'm missing.

This isn't a Nintendo-exclusive thing (Game Gear, DC, Jaguar controller, PSP, maybe the NGP, etc), but it's pretty frustrating when style becomes much more important than actual function of the unit.

Even though Nintendo had 2 good controllers this gen (CCP, Wiimote/Nunchuck combo), they still had 2 awful ones this gen too. (Wiimote sideways, CC) So I'm not too confident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom