• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I give up - Here's the Project Cafe (Wii 2) Mockup Thread (2400 baud warning)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Super Wii Mockup Manifesto

1. Do not design a tablet with buttons, design a controller with a screen.
2. Put handles on the damn thing, this doesn't have to fit in my pocket, and I can't use it on the go.
3. Use real analogue sticks. Do not reply to people asking for real sticks with "but I like the slide pad".
4. Focus on functionality, not aesthetics. This is for throwing around design ideas, not a photoshop contest. Wireframe drawings may be a good idea because you will not be limited by controllers and handhelds that already exist.
5. A six inch touchscreen is not a sacred cow, do not be afraid to do a 5" or 4" version. Also keep in mind that screen measurements are diagonal, not horizontal.

Linkhero1

ThoseDeafMutes said:

2. Put handles on the damn thing, this doesn't have to fit in my pocket, and I can't use it on the go.
3. Use real analogue sticks. Do not reply to people asking for real sticks with "but I like the slide pad".
4. Focus on functionality, not aesthetics. This is for throwing around design ideas, not a photoshop contest. Wireframe drawings may be a good idea because you will not be limited by controllers and handhelds that already exist.
5. A six inch touchscreen is not a sacred cow, do not be afraid to do a 5" or 4" version. Also keep in mind that screen measurements are diagonal, not horizontal.
The majority of these mockups look like standalone handhelds rather than a controller.

mango drank

It's probably already been mentioned thousands of times (literally), but it's likely one or two of the big rumored features of the controller aren't true. And if they ARE all actually true, I'm stumped, and can't wait to see Nintendo's design for this thing.

It's also possible that the new system's games are no longer motion-controlled. Maybe the system features Wii backwards-compatibility, and maybe it's compatible with the original Wiimote just for this purpose but nothing else. Thus the new controller has nothing to do with the Wiimote.

I seriously doubt they'd abandon motion control just like that, though.

artwalknoon said:
These are some of my favorites from the website with the mock ups linked above. Though most of them have the same issue of the analog placements not being moved in enough so as not to get in the way of your hands when you use the face buttons. And the other problem is that they are all too rectangular, not comfortable like a controller needs to be. But still nice.
http://gameusagi.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/projectcafe019.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://gameusagi.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/projectcafe097.jpg[IMG]
This one is particularly funny, I wonder where the design came from?
[IMG]http://gameusagi.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/projectcafe132.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://gameusagi.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/projectcafe125.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
If you want to rehost these I'd be happy to add them to the OP. For now they aren't viewable in the thread without visiting the host website first.

abstract alien said:
Yeah, me too. I'm hoping for one of the mock ups that show dual detachable wiimotes to hold some weight.

Maybe the controller is just a bunch of Legos and Silly Putty, and whatever the user creates becomes a functional controller. That R&D money had to go somewhere.

watershed

Banned
BMF said:
If you want to rehost these I'd be happy to add them to the OP. For now they aren't viewable in the thread without visiting the host website first.

Sorry don't know what rehosting is or how to do it.

Freezie KO said:
Maybe the controller is just a bunch of Legos and Silly Putty, and whatever the user creates becomes a functional controller. That R&D money had to go somewhere.
I'm down for that at this point lol

artwalknoon said:
482.jpg

Download the images to your computer and then post them on tinypic or photobucket. Then include them here.

mango drank

Pachinko said:
reasonable thoughts

Yes, all that. Plus, I'm wondering if there are any negative effects on this large hi-res screen from swinging it around like you would a Wiimote. Practicality aside, can you even do that for extended periods without damaging it in some way? (Maybe you can, I have no idea. But these things are kinda sensitive, aren't they?)

And the whole idea of attaching a Wiimote onto a separate touchscreen only to add a few buttons to the touchscreen is weird to me too, I agree. Why wouldn't you just build the buttons next to the screen? You could make them more ergonomic, and not have to fuss with attaching and detaching a Wiimote like some clown.

Something doesn't add up here.

IrrelevantNotch said:

True, the NGP's screen is 5". Pretty big.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Pachinko said:
I think the most likely design is something that screams NINTENDO, so all the space age sexy tech designs on page 1, probably not going to happen.
While I think similar, you wouldn't have exactly called the Wii design "something that screams NINTENDO" after N64 and Gamecube either.

I can see it be like two wii mote's that can be link with a screen and make into a pad in the same way you can swap parts with wii mote

Luigison

jump_button said:
I can see it be like two wii mote's that can be link with a screen and make into a pad in the same way you can swap parts with wii mote
Here was my idea along those lines.
5519402.jpg

According to the summary on Nintendo Everything the screen only "iPad" won't happen though.: "Nintendo feels that gaming is better with buttons, so you won’t see a machine without them."

artwalknoon said:
If you use Firefox here's an easy solution: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/rehost-image/

I use http://picturepush.com/upa because it's free, doesn't require registration, and has previewing with options for sizes, HTML, and forum BBcode to make it easier (and link to their site).

i love how the rumor of putting a screen in the controller threw everyone's shit sideways until they started realizing that's what the fuck a handheld system looks like

Retro

ThoseDeafMutes said:

My mockup (5th down in the OP) meets all of these. In fact, the latest revision of that design (which you can view a big mockup of here) has longer handles, bigger buttons and D-pad, and a left analog stick placed closer to the screen rather than the edge for a more comfortable grip;

Seriously, it's the only one with anything resembling handles (except the stretched 360 controller, obviously).

Also, there's this one from last week... Not very good, but again... handles.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27310095&postcount=15265
Continued with my Mockup Concept...

IHCHU.jpg

A standard 360 controller is just about 6 inches wide, making this controller roughly 8 to 8 1/2 inches wide, which is about as wide as a sheet of standard copier paper. Thus, that's one BIG HONKIN' Controller. The reason for these dimensions is to match the 6" screen size. If you make the screen slightly longer/narrower, you could potentially scale the entire controller inward, making it 6-1/2 to 7 inches wide... which would be comfortable even for big hands. And scale is obviously just eyeballing anyways.

As you can see, it features two Bumpers (Light green) two Triggers (Dark Green), 4 face buttons (in a stylized Gamecube layout; two 'beans', one 'main' and a smaller 'secondary'). Two analog sticks and a D-pad, roughly matching the Gamecube layout. I do think my Left Analog stick is a bit too off-center, but in my mind it kind of feels 'right'.

I also added 3 central buttons which is a feature we've only been able to speculate. Obviously there's a precedent for Start and Select, while a central button could function similar to the 360's 'X' button. Obviously I just made them a generic button style, the central button could be a logo, light, etc.

In retrospect, the Mic might be better positioned on the front for times you don't have the screen up but still want to chat. In theory, the microphone could be built to just pick up voices coming behind it, but honestly... it could go on the front too.

Speakers make sense below the screen, you don't really need those facing you since they're only making a few indicator noises, ala' the Wii.

Obviously the button layout and such isn't optimized for comfort and I have no idea what it would feel like to hold it, but... is there really any news to discuss other than "Hey, maybe it looks like this!"?

Also, thoughts on every single mockup in this entire thread;

That's why I put handgrips on my mockup. I can't play my regular DS (Not the lite, the big honkin' original) for more than an hour without handcramps. NSMBW was kind of tough too.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I love that you can turn the Wiimote sideways and have a classic NES controller, and as big of a nerd as I am for Retrogames (dig the username), even I have to admit the original NES controller and even the SNES have some comfort issues. I wouldn't say I have exceptionally big hands either.

These iWii controller designs are sleek, stylish, elegant and cool... but I don't play videogames to be any of those things. I play them to have fun, and grabbing at a controller the thickness of a DVD case or trying to use controls that are pleasing to the eye but not the hands and wrists? Fuck that noise. Gimmie a controller, damnit, not an iPad.

This is the way i would do it, Nintedo isn't crazy enough to go with this thing. Its a bad mock up but the important thing i tried to comunicate here is the concept. Ergonomics design is an iterative process so theres no point for me to waste time on that, plus i got no skillz:
t3000_1_a_diag_resize3xqi.jpg

Fig. A: Just the touch screen at the face of the controller with the 2 thumbsticks. Plus at the front, 4 buttons (2 triggers + 2 bumpers). This is the less intimidating mode, for very simplified game input.

Fig. B: The controller clamshell opens and rotates in the bezel around the middle axis so the touch screen faces the user, reveling 4 face buttons and the D-pad. Plus all the thumbsticks and front triggers/bumpers accessible.

Fig. B (second possible case): If the screen is detachable theres no need for the rotating bezel.

Why the clamshell? Because i think with a 6'' touch screen, is the only way to keep the controller at a reasonable size. Another advantage is when open, the screen is closer to the user FOV, since its in front and angled. At the bottom and the sides the controller will be more "fat" and with ergonomic curves like a normal pad and not like a DS. Didn't consider a slide design because they are not very durable. But it might work also.

An example of as device with a rotating touch screen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBYAqiw7J_M

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Damnit guys, you try to design a controller here, not a freaking apple handheld :/

TunaLover

I really doubt that Nintendo will go with a 6 inch screen. They tend to be very conservative in costs, the controller already includes a camera, speakers, and motion sensors.

TunaLover said:
I really doubt that Nintendo will go with a 6 inch screen. They tend to be very conservative in costs, the controller already includes a camera, speakers, and motion sensors.

That's why I'm still wondering if this is a devkit controller using a larger screen (for whatever reason - perhaps supply of the correct size isn't up and running yet?) and the final units will use a smaller screen with the same resolution. I just can't see Nintendo being crazy enough to build a controller some 9" across with a huge screen like that (larger than any they've put in their handhelds, even the DSi XL).

McLovin

What are the exact screen dimensions? How do we know its not just a Wiimote with a 6"x1" touch screen running up the middle, with an analog stick on the top and bottom. It would make sense if they want to keep the controls compatible with Wii games.

DaBuddaDa

These massively wide controllers with flat backs, sharp edges, square shapes, forcing you to hold your hands a good 6 inches further apart than normally look so unbearably uncomfortable to hold for more than a few minutes at a time. People are designing ipads with buttons, not controllers with screens. There is a huge difference.

1-D_FTW

IrrelevantNotch said:

Thankfully the rumors are stating like a DC controller with a screen sandwiched in the middle. And specifically mentioned handles.

That may be the most comfortable portable ever designed, but it's still graded on the curve. Portables have to fit in pockets. A real controller is infinitely more comfortable. Thank goodness the rumors seem to indicate Nintendo isn't putting artistic self-indulgence over ergonomics.

DaBuddaDa

Well, at least we can be confident that this controller will outdo the original Xbox controller as "most huoge controller evar."

Clott said:
They all look bad and hard to hold.
Don't center so much in ergonomics. Try to look at ideas. Applying proper contours can be easy once the vision is set in stone. And Nintendo won't forsake ergonomics, so no need to worry.

Man, I don't know what some of you guys are smoking with these mockups. haha. Sure is fun to look at them all though, so keep it up.

That being said, Nintendo will go with something simple looking and elegent, not something that looks like it came out of a Star Trek episode.

Why doesn't somebody start with a Dreamcast controller, widen, and replace buttons with the likely layout (non staggered analog sticks). Haven't comparisons to the DC controller been made? It had grips on the back, nice rounded sides, but was flat on the surface.

I'd do it myself, but I lack the skills. :(

Vinci

Danish
http://i.imgur.com/27Ru8.jpg

This is, by far, the most functional, comfortable, and practical looking one of the lot. You win the contest, sir.

EDIT: That said, it would be better if the analog sticks were even with each other above the D-Pad and face buttons. Otherwise, nicely done.

EDIT #2: The Kotaku one is shamefully quite a bit better than most of the GAF ones as well.

luffeN

Vinci said:
http://i.imgur.com/27Ru8.jpg

This is, by far, the most functional, comfortable, and practical looking one of the lot. You win the contest, sir.

EDIT: That said, it would be better if the analog sticks were even with each other above the D-Pad and face buttons. Otherwise, nicely done.
But this setup is working on the PS3 and 360, just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom