• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I give up - Here's the Project Cafe (Wii 2) Mockup Thread (2400 baud warning)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinCow

Banned
brohmbel said:
jHNrf.jpg

What is this?

Looks like something from Portal.

banKai said:
But this setup is working on the PS3 and 360, just saying.

Eh, I can see the advantage if they are really targeting Dudebro. Most FPS games use primarily the two sticks and the right trigger. Makes sense to have them in the most comfortable position.

Vinci

Danish
banKai said:
Oh, haven't read about that, ok.
Edit: So it could also be PS3 style.

It could be. I'm saying above the D-Pad and face buttons simply because I feel that would be more comfortable for me personally. But if it's PS3 style, oh well. I can live with it.

1-D_FTW

Vinci said:
http://i.imgur.com/27Ru8.jpg

This is, by far, the most functional, comfortable, and practical looking one of the lot. You win the contest, sir.

EDIT: That said, it would be better if the analog sticks were even with each other above the D-Pad and face buttons. Otherwise, nicely done.

EDIT #2: The Kotaku one is shamefully quite a bit better than most of the GAF ones as well.

The emphasis on third parties and portability would eliminate any chance of it ever having a c-stick, but at least it's a plausible attempt at what it could realistically look like.

A.KU.MU said:
Tw0r1.jpg

Best one yet.

I do rather like that, and with a little tweaking and grips beneath it would be excellent - reminds me of the Micro and old LCD handheld games, and with a 3.5-4" screen it would be just right size (still hoping the bigger screen is only a dev unit!)

Vinci

Danish
1-D_FTW said:
The emphasis on third parties and portability would eliminate any chance of it ever having a c-stick, but at least it's a plausible attempt at what it could realistically look like.

Well yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the C-stick either. Just two proper analog sticks opposite one another, with the D-Pad and face buttons under them, and handles to help grasp the thing. That's all it needs for me to be idyllically happy. =)

Veal

I know a few people mentioned biometrics, but has anyone thought of the sensors being built into the buttons? More specifically, the L and R triggers?

Vinci

Danish
Veal said:
I know a few people mentioned biometrics, but has anyone thought of the sensors being built into the buttons? More specifically, the L and R triggers?

Putting sensors into the handles would make more sense.

You know... since it's likely it will have handles and you'll constantly be gripping them firmly for continuous biometric scanning. The triggers would be too situational and game-specific.

Vinci said:
Putting sensors into the handles would make more sense.

You know... since it's likely it will have handles and you'll constantly be gripping them firmly for continuous biometric scanning. The triggers would be too situational and game-specific.

Indeed - think the metal sensors for pulse rate built into the grips of exercise bikes.

Veal said:
Im ahead with that :D Did some search sometime ago. Well there is technology that lets a touch screen function as a fingertip scanner to recognize the user. Would be cool if Nintendo used the touch screen for this also, as well as the crap ton of uses we already came up with.

I think Sharp has a patent.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sure you're getting really close with these mock-ups, as we've seen on so many previous Nintendo controller fanwork and..

rev_cont.jpg

fake-revolution--article_image.jpg

5844052316327252.JPG

broadway6gw.jpg

media0lz.jpg

rob28xq.jpg

..and..

electronicgamingmonthly2ln5ri.jpg

okay, carry on.

MYE said:
My stuff

edit: *i'l rehost it later*

http://i.imgur.com/jTOin.jpg[/IM][IM]http://i.imgur.com/Wh7hg.jpg[/IM]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/5jT6K.png[/IM][/QUOTE]

Lovely. Hopefully its somewhat close, though, I think these will need to be thicker, surely the system would still retain rumble in the controllers gyroscpes and accelerometers?

Zeliard

Vinci said:
http://i.imgur.com/27Ru8.jpg

This is, by far, the most functional, comfortable, and practical looking one of the lot. You win the contest, sir.

EDIT: That said, it would be better if the analog sticks were even with each other above the D-Pad and face buttons. Otherwise, nicely done.

EDIT #2: The Kotaku one is shamefully quite a bit better than most of the GAF ones as well.

I don't think some of you realize how enormous these will end up if it's a 6" screen. Kotaku's design is incredibly unpractical. Just imagine how large that thing would be in your hands if the screen is 6". Something like Fernando Rocker's is infinitely better as a mockup than most of these because it actually makes some logistical sense in not trying to stick everything on a single horizontal surface.

People are trying to compare this controller to a Dreamcast even though the DC controller's VMU screen is much, much smaller, something like 1.5 in. x 1 in. And remember that this thing is meant to be a gamepad, not a dedicated handheld.

Sealda

Banned
The displays on these mockups are way too generous for being Nintendo...Make em smaller and enclose them with some black plastic around the edges.

Vinci

Danish
Zeliard said:
I don't think some of you realize how enormous these will end up if it's a 6" screen. Kotaku's design is incredibly unpractical. Just imagine how large that thing would be in your hands if the screen is 6". Something like Fernando Rocker's is infinitely better as a mockup than most of these because it actually makes some logistical sense in not trying to stick everything on a single horizontal surface.

And Fernando Rocker's would be uncomfortable as all hell. Don't get me wrong: It looks sleek, it looks Apple and cool and all that, but the weight of the controller would be on your thumbs. Lets be honest: The moment you're talking about 6" screens, we're immediately talking about a huge ass controller - whether you stick the screen on vertically, diagonally, horizontally, underneath, flip-pad, asymmetric, whatever. It's going to be huge. So at that point the only thing you can do is try to come up with something that isn't profoundly uncomfortable to hold.

For a controller this large, it must have handles. They have to extend into the palm for added support. Putting all the pressure on your knuckles and thumbs is crazy, and that's what all these tablet-specific designs are doing. Over time, they would cause severe discomfort in the fingers.

Zeliard

Vinci said:
And Fernando Rocker's would be uncomfortable as all hell. Don't get me wrong: It looks sleek, it looks Apple and cool and all that, but the weight of the controller would be on your thumbs. Lets be honest: The moment you're talking about 6" screens, we're immediately talking about a huge ass controller - whether you stick the screen on vertically, diagonally, horizontally, underneath, flip-pad, asymmetric, whatever. It's going to be huge. So at that point the only thing you can do is try to come up with something that isn't profoundly uncomfortable to hold.

For a controller this large, it must have handles. They have to extend into the palm for added support. Putting all the pressure on your knuckles and thumbs is crazy, and that's what all these tablet-specific designs are doing. Over time, they would cause severe discomfort in the fingers.

I'm hardly saying that his mockup, or anyone's, is perfect as is or even close. :p

I'm simply saying that the concept of going vertically, instead of horizontally as everyone has their mind set on, is more logical and feasible. Why stretch it out horizontally if it's going to make it so cumbersome? If you add proper grips such as handles, as I said earlier you should, that makes it even wider unless you stick those grips on the back. It would still be large going vertically, but it would make it much easier to hold since your hands wouldn't be as far apart all the time.

Look at MYE's mockup and you start getting an idea of how enormous it would be in your hands stretched horizontally. He's one of the few to bother putting the mockup in the hands of someone and you can see just how unfeasibly large it is like that, and unlike most others he even put the second analog stick and d-pad below the screen, and it's still huge.

Vinci

Danish
Zeliard said:
I'm hardly saying that his mockup, or anyone's, is perfect as is or even close. :p

I'm simply saying that the concept of going vertically, instead of horizontally as everyone has their mind set on, is more logical and feasible. Why stretch it out horizontally if it's going to make it so cumbersome? If you add proper grips such as handles, as I said earlier you should, that makes it even wider unless you stick those grips on the back. It would still be large going vertically, but it would make it much easier to hold since your hands wouldn't be as far apart all the time.

Look at MYE's mockup and you start getting an idea of how enormous it would be in your hands stretched horizontally. He's one of the few to bother putting the mockup in the hands of someone and you can see just how unfeasibly large it is like that.

Yeah, but I don't think Fernando's mock-up changes the fact that it's huge. In addition, it looks like it would be uncomfortable to use and cause issues in the knuckles from supporting the controller's full weight the whole time. I guess what I'm saying is, if the thing's going to be huge no matter how you design it, you might as well shoot for the one positive of comfort.

But I agree that all of these options come off as crazy given the screen size.

Zeliard

Vinci said:
Yeah, but I don't think Fernando's mock-up changes the fact that it's huge. In addition, it looks like it would be uncomfortable to use and cause issues in the knuckles from supporting the controller's full weight the whole time. I guess what I'm saying is, if the thing's going to be huge no matter how you design it, you might as well shoot for the one positive of comfort.

But I agree that all of these options come off as crazy given the screen size.

What makes that the case with Fernando's is his grip surface thing on the back that a lot of people have been putting, which I can't say I'm a huge fan of personally. I'm much more fond of actual handles and I hope that's what we end up getting. You stick proper handles on the sides and screen weight isn't as much an issue.

It's always the screen that has made this whole thing amusing on some level and I'm intrigued by what the final product will be like. If the screen is smaller everything suddenly gets much simpler and more obvious. It's the 6" size that's goofing things up.

Vinci

Danish
Zeliard said:
What makes that the case with Fernando's is his grip surface thing on the back that a lot of people have been putting, which I can't say I'm a huge fan of personally. I'm much more fond of actual handles and I hope that's what we end up getting. You stick proper handles on the sides and screen weight isn't as much an issue.

Which is why I've been asking for handles on every design people have submitted. They need to be there. This thing isn't an iPad - it's not meant to rest comfortably on your lap while you tap away at icons. You have to hold and support it with your hands. Taking pressure off the fingers is the only way it makes any sense at all.

It's always the screen that has made this whole thing amusing on some level and I'm intrigued by what the final product will be like. If the screen is smaller everything suddenly gets much simpler and more obvious. It's the 6" size that's goofing things up.

Completely agree.

EDIT: Wish I had Photoshop skills. I'd just take Kintaco's design and add handles onto it.

Vinci said:
whether you stick the screen on vertically, diagonally, horizontally, underneath, flip-pad, asymmetric, whatever. It's going to be huge. So at that point the only thing you can do is try to come up with something that isn't profoundly uncomfortable to hold.
No. A flip screen wouldnt make it wide, this way Nintendo could pull something xbox360 pad in size in terms of width. The screen on top wouldn't offset the weight distribution to the point of making the user holding the controller unconfortable.

Vinci

Danish
Refreshment.01 said:
No. A flip screen wouldnt make it wide, this way Nintendo could pull something xbox360 pad in size. The screen on top wouldn't offset the weight distribution to the point of making the user holding the controller unconfortable.

Could you show me a design that illustrates this? I'd actually like to see how that would work.

Has there ever been a controller where the 4 main face buttons were under the analog stick? That seems terribly awkward to me, but it could just be because I've never tried it.

Vinci said:
Could you show me a design that illustrates this? I'd actually like to see how that would work.
The idea i have in mind is posted (page 3) with an explanation, it has a crazy idea on top, the rotating screen and 2 operational modes, but you could make it less crazy by forgeting those and just mimick a hanheld design in terms of concept (not ergonomics). When watching it let the ergonomics aside for now. As you can put some contours at the botton and iterate to make it more ergonomic.

Vinci

Danish
Refreshment.01 said:
The idea i have in mind is posted with an explanation, it has a crazy idea on top, the rotating screen and 2 operational modes, but you could make it less crazy by forgeting those and just mimick a hanheld design in terms of concept (not ergonomics). When watching it let the ergonomics aside for now. As you can put some contours at the botton and iterate to make it more ergonomic.

Where was the image posted again? I'm not seeing it in this thread.

EDIT: Okay, found it. Apologies. It's interesting, but I doubt Nintendo would go with something like that. I don't think 3rd parties would like it very much either.

Retro

Vinci said:
Wish I had Photoshop skills. I'd just take Kintaco's design and add handles onto it.

This one? What actually makes that different from most of the other iPad-esque designs?

Refreshment.01 said:
The idea i have in mind is posted (page 3) with an explanation, it has a crazy idea on top, the rotating screen and 2 operational modes, but you could make it less crazy by forgeting those and just mimick a hanheld design in terms of concept (not ergonomics). When watching it let the ergonomics aside for now. As you can put some contours at the botton and iterate to make it more ergonomic.

Looking at the post you mention (and the link to youtube you provided), what would be wrong with something like the design I posted right before yours where the screen could flip up from behind the controller or cradle into it as a back-facing touchpad (ala the NGP)? If the screen could rotate as well (to protect the screen from scratches), wouldn't that be nearly the same thing without the phone-esque ergonomics?

Vinci

Danish
Retro said:
This one? What actually makes that different from most of the other iPad-esque designs?

Lined up analog sticks, as the rumors have suggested, and (my personal preference) the analog sticks being above the D-Pad and face buttons.

That's it. I actually like yours, but I find it's not Apple-enough after the Wii's design. Plus, it has staggered sticks.

Retro

Vinci said:
Lined up analog sticks, as the rumors have suggested, and (my personal preference) the analog sticks being above the D-Pad and face buttons.

That's it. I actually like yours, but I find it's not Apple-enough after the Wii's design. Plus, it has staggered sticks.

I guess the staggered sticks is just a preference thing, since I prefer the feel of the Gamecube and 360 controllers much more than Dual Shock... I can't recall using a controller that put them above the face buttons, however, so that may actually be really groovy. In fact, imagining it, it might be pretty nice.

As for the design... I was going more for layout and feel than looks (though I am not without a few design-y flourishes, of course). If it's a matter of what color the controller is or how slick it looks, that sort of thing can change.

I was much more interest in "How it plays" than "How it looks".

Retro said:
Looking at the post you mention (and the link to youtube you provided), what would be wrong with something like the design I posted right before yours where the screen could flip up from behind the controller or cradle into it as a back-facing touchpad (ala the NGP)? If the screen could rotate as well (to protect the screen from scratches), wouldn't that be nearly the same thing without the phone-esque ergonomics?
The T3000 phone is something i came up with after i tought of the idea because i was searching for products with rotating screens. For the design the screen will only need to rotate around 1 axis, not the multiple axis rotations of that awesome phone.

The design is different from yours because the screen will be always facing the user so it can allow all the potential uses when rotated to any of the 2 modes, in your case when rotated it functions just like a touch pad.

It also features something similar to Nintendo classic controller position of the Wiimote. When the screen is at the surface of the controller (hiding the face buttons) it has 4 buttons (triggers/bumpers) and the 2 sticks for input. For games with simplified inputs, think touch generations series, it might be atractive. After all Nintendo did that type of thing with the Wii.

Edit: Going with a flip desing like that makes the controller less wide, almost the same size of the 16:9 6'' screen in terms of width.

jmoe316

Wouldn't the screen almost have to be an add-on? Are controllers really going to be 100-150+ each?

I would think the screen would be an attachment to a standard-esque controller and one screen attachment would be bundled with the system so everyone has it but then people could also have 4 controllers for classic multiplayer without spending more than what the console is worth.

Vinci

Danish
Retro said:
I guess the staggered sticks is just a preference thing, since I prefer the feel of the Gamecube and 360 controllers much more than Dual Shock... I can't recall using a controller that put them above the face buttons, however, so that may actually be really groovy. In fact, imagining it, it might be pretty nice.

I think it would work really well, and it would have a nice symmetry to it. I prefer the 360 controller to the PS3 controller, but that's not because the controls are staggered, I don't think. Might be because they're further apart and just easier to manage for me. Not sure why, now that I think about it.

As for the design... I was going more for layout and feel than looks (though I am not without a few design-y flourishes, of course). If it's a matter of what color the controller is or how slick it looks, that sort of thing can change.

I was much more interest in "How it plays" than "How it looks".

And I appreciate that. I loved the fact that you included handles, particularly ones that look comfortable. Just saying that perhaps a more sleek look would work better in trying to capture what Nintendo will likely go with.

Actually, if someone were to take Jason's sleek white Wii-like controller design, put sleek white handles extending out from its lower corners, and move the analog sticks to either the middle of the screen opposite one another with the D-Pad and face buttons below... I think that would be very nice and functional.

1-D_FTW

Refreshment.01 said:
No. A flip screen wouldnt make it wide, this way Nintendo could pull something xbox360 pad in size in terms of width. The screen on top wouldn't offset the weight distribution to the point of making the user holding the controller unconfortable.

Why does it matter if it's 3 inches wider than a 360 pad? You can cut out a lot of dead space by having the left analog/d-pad be in a single column and the right analog and buttons be in another single column. Also, when your hands are positioned this way, you could cover the touch screen with your thumbs. The extra 3 inches isn't going to make it uncomfortable because your resting naturally on the grips.

The vertical orientation means you have to now claw with one hand while you completely lift your other hand and go punch up on the screen.

Vinci

Danish
Pancakes R Us said:
As nice as some of these concepts look, I really don't want it to be a huge controller :-/

Out of curiosity, could someone explain why it being huge is such a massive issue? I mean, I think it's going to be huge, but I'm not freaking out about it so long as it's functional, comfortable, and does what it needs to. Are people imagining that it being huge will make it exceedingly heavy or something? I don't understand.

1-D_FTW said:
Also, when your hands are positioned this way, you could cover the touch screen with your thumbs. The extra 3 inches isn't going to make it uncomfortable because your resting naturally on the grips.

The vertical orientation means you have to now claw with one hand while you completely lift your other hand and go punch up on the screen.
Im not saying a wide type design wouldn't be functional. But i don't think you could cover the touch screen with your thumbs while holding the controller, with the rumored screen size is a lot area to cover and your thumbs get distanced by those wide grips. Im aware of the need to lift the hand, i assuming most of the interaction with the touch screen will be with the index or middle finger.

Btw, nothing against the last Retro design, cause its the better and most realistically possible of all the ones posted. The one im thinking has some advantages (it looks freaking cool to me also) because its something that grabs the attention and looks different from the traditional controllers but i dont see Nintendo doing it.

Vinci

Danish
Refreshment.01 said:
Im not saying a wide type design wouldn't be functional. But i don't think you could cover the touch screen with your thumbs while holding the controller, with the rumored screen size is a lot area to cover and your thumbs get distanced by those wide grips. Im aware of the need to lift the hand, i assuming most of the interaction with the touch screen will be with the index or middle finger.

I agree with that completely. I don't believe you'll be meant to access the touchscreen while playing a traditional game - at least not while the game is unpaused.

Oreoleo

Vinci said:
Out of curiosity, could someone explain why it being huge is such a massive issue? I mean, I think it's going to be huge, but I'm not freaking out about it so long as it's functional, comfortable, and does what it needs to. Are people imagining that it being huge will make it exceedingly heavy or something? I don't understand.

Cost, for one. And no one wants a controller that weighs like 2 or 3 lbs.

Zeliard

Vinci said:

From a personal standpoint size isn't as much an issue so long as it's functional and comfortable, but I'm looking at it from the point of view of kids and such. I imagine Nintendo will still want kids to buy and play the new system and it seems doubtful they'd want to put out something that large as its basic controller.

Picture some poor little bastard trying to hold MYE's concept. :p

Vinci

Danish
Orellio said:
Cost, for one. And no one wants a controller that weighs like 2 or 3 lbs.

So we're assuming cost into it, as well as weight? Okay. Fair enough.

Zeliard said:
From a personal standpoint size isn't as much an issue so long as it's functional and comfortable, but I'm looking at it from the point of view of kids and such. I imagine Nintendo will still want kids to buy and play the new system and it seems doubtful they'd want to put out something that large as its basic controller.

Picture some poor little bastard trying to hold MYE's concept. :p

I don't think the controller's horizontal size is really an issue to kids using it, unless it's really heavy. If it's not heavy and they utilize the controls, it really shouldn't be an issue.

Vinci said:
I don't think the controller's horizontal size is really an issue to kids using it, unless it's really heavy. If it's not heavy and they utilize the controls, it really shouldn't be an issue.
Remember the wider, the farther the center of gravity gets from the hand supports and the chances for unbalance increase.

I.E. If the user needs to reach the touch screen while holding the remote with the left hand (fingers positioned in stick and triggers) and using the right hand for touch input, the wider the more force the user will need to apply to maintain the pad balanced.

If opting for a flip design they can reduce the width a lot. Again, not telling NIntendo couldnt make a wide design work. But some wide/tablet designs posted are too big.

In the case of the design i posted, a bonus advantage is that the touch screen is a little closer to the user FoV in one of its operational modes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom