• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I got fooled into buying Raspberry Pie.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I was going to write a scathing reply addressing your ineptitude, deficiencies and lack of creative vision, but I don't think that will actually help you understand how you are the problem, not the device. So I'll relent and instead say:

Good job bud, good on you for trying something new.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I was going to write a scathing reply addressing your ineptitude, deficiencies and lack of creative vision, but I don't think that will actually help you understand how you are the problem, not the device. So I'll relent and instead say:

Good job bud, good on you for trying something new.
well-thanks-i-guess.gif

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The Pi is an impressive piece of electronics, for what it is. It's a low-power device that's used primarily for it's small form factor, or as an educational tool used to teach basic computing / Linux. But, that obviously isn't going to come close to the experience of a full desktop PC.

If you had expectations higher than that, I feel like that's on you.

Doczu

What were you expecting OP? RPi is so popular.that you should have known what it can do. More or less.

I bought s Pi400 to use it as a retro gaming pc/console. And it's the best C64/Amiga emulation station i ever had.

I used a Zero 2 as a file server with ftp access. And it works great for it.

My Pi Pico is poweri g an e-ink weather station with a calendar and child doodles.

I learned while tinkering and that was the best part of it.

Shifty1897

Raspberry Pis are dev toys, not mini PCs. If you know what you're doing, you can build a lot of cool shit with one. About 9 years ago I built a security camera with one that sent my phone a pic when it detected movement.

SegaShack

Download the "Bored Game Dad" Bacetora image on arcade punk, flash it to your micro sd card, put it in pi.

That's all you have to do. No setup required. Retropi is made for configuring, bacetora is easy.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
These "mini computers" will eventually fade away because they wont ever be of practical use
to most people.
Yeah, that's why this device has been wildly succesfull since its introduction and has been as the catalyst for the resurregence of the homecomputer/mini PC era.

I miss the times when GAF complaint threads actually sounded as if they were valid.

You do sound like a bit of a fool.

What do you expect? it's a cheap micro computer for tech enthusiasts to work on custom projects.

It's not meant to be some sort of general use computer.
The fact that OP thought otherwise tells me there was zero understanding of what a Pi actually is. Sometimes a little research helps.

Its not like i would expect a Commodore 64 to play Youtube videos, even though there are hacks that allow it to.

nkarafo

I use them as arcade emulators.

They aren't even good enough for that.

Not if you actually care about accurate emulation and low input lag.

You might get away with good enough 8bit systems emulation but more than that you need something more powerful.

Mahnmut

I'm simply giving up. I'm tired of googling, tired of guessing what people mean, tired of errors,
tired of things not working
This encapsulates the reasons why I ditched everything “open source”. Documentation is scarce and cryptic, tutorials are half assed or covering an ancient non relevant version. It’s just a chore.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Got a Pi 400 (the one that is built into the keyboard) and got RetroPi + ES running and it is great. From Atari 2600 over Amiga and X68000 to even 3DO and FM Towns. Love to have all these exotic systems and libraries of games in one place and ready to launch with one click.

INC

Depends what you bought it for, I bought it to make a retro arcade machine, and it fulfilled that purpose brilliantly......so...

Dr_Salt

They aren't even good enough for that.

Not if you actually care about accurate emulation and low input lag.

You might get away with good enough 8bit systems emulation but more than that you need something more powerful.
The only machine capable of accurate emulation is the mister which is missing tons of games anyways. Never had any problem with input lag with my pi3 unless it is 3D arcade games which I don't play.

Last edited:

Mihos

Gold Member
I do tons of stuff with Pis. I use Pi micros alot since they can emulate USB devices, so they come in handy for test scripting. Emulating a USB keyboard and USB storage devices along with the i2c and other GPIO, and internal wireless AP, you can cover 90% of all test vectors for about $15

Last edited:

nkarafo

The only machine capable of accurate emulation is the mister

That's another myth which is mostly marketing from the FPGA sellers.

Plenty of accurate software emulators exist, as long as you have a powerful enough system to run them (not the Pi).

ReBurn

Gold Member
I have a bunch of them sitting around doing various things. Ad blocking, Plex server...used to run reddit and discord bots I wrote on them when I did reddit and discord stuff. Raspberry Pi is a great platform for general purpose computing and home automation. You have to be literate with Linux to use them, though. I just found a new in box Pi 4 4gb that I thought I lost and it felt like Christmas.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
You do sound like a bit of a fool.

What do you expect? it's a cheap micro computer for tech enthusiasts to work on custom projects.

It's not meant to be some sort of general use computer.

That's not how Raspberry PI promotes their products. Browsing their product pages you'd think these things would be perfect for everyone, especially children.

RIvRj2L.jpg

tNa6ULq.jpg

pachura

Got a Pi 400 (the one that is built into the keyboard) and got RetroPi + ES running and it is great. From Atari 2600 over Amiga and X68000 to even 3DO and FM Towns. Love to have all these exotic systems and libraries of games in one place and ready to launch with one click.

I have a regular RasPi and decided to go with Batocera instead of RetroPi, but otherwise my experience was also very good. The vast majority of Amiga, SNES, ZX Spectrum games work very well, there's ScummVM, I can use Dualshock 4 wirelessly, I can download additional free content directly, and there are also some dedicated homebrew implementations of Diablo 1, Doom, Quake, Crusader, Cave Story etc.

After holidays, I'm going to dig into Kali Linux as well and see if I can sniff WiFi passwords of my neighbours

Lasha

That's not how Raspberry PI promotes their products. Browsing their product pages you'd think these things would be perfect for everyone, especially children.

RIvRj2L.jpg

tNa6ULq.jpg

The official OS is well suited for children. It has a lot of educational software installed by default.

Harlock

18 months ago raspberry was already in shortage

Anyway the rise of mini pcs and android vox made your casual use irrelevant.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
i used one as a desktop for months, even got intellij running on it

video playback on websites like youtube was kinda fuckedup due to some weird driver problems (not being able to access hardware to accelerate it)

FateTrap

Neo Member
I get confused by the plethora of flavors.
I've based my advice on the systems that stand out for specific features, the amount of features/tools and apps, stability, performance, security and general quality.

Easy and for AMD/Intel/Nvidia users: mageia, Mint, Nobara Project, Rosa, Neptune, openKylin, GhostBSD, siduction
Average difficulty and for AMD/Intel users: Devuan, Void Linux, OpenBSD, Clear Linux, DragonFly BSD, openSUSE, FreeBSD, Alpine Linux
Average difficulty and for Nvidia users: Void Linux, openSUSE, FreeBSD, Artix Linux

If you learn to work smoothly with Linux and BSD systems, I think you would have a very different experience with the Raspberry Pi.

The Orange Pi 5 has gained a lot of extra performance that has increased the number of use cases for the device many times:

What Apple proved with the M2 chips is that you can match the speeds of the i9-13900k with ARM processors, and with much lower power consumption.

For that reason, I would like to see the processor of the Raspberry Pi made much faster, then you have a system suitable as a desktop system, and very low power consumption.
For example, if you make the Orange Pi 5 twice as fast, then you have a reasonably good and cheap desktop CPU.

FateTrap

Neo Member
This encapsulates the reasons why I ditched everything “open source”. Documentation is scarce and cryptic, tutorials are half assed or covering an ancient non relevant version. It’s just a chore.
If I may be honest, the 'windows documentation' made available by Microsoft is less numerous and remarkably lower quality than that of FreeBSD.

99% of the things you need to know are explained in the handbook:

openSUSE has good documentation.

Gentoo documentation is a lot better than MS windows own documentation.

Arch Linux has top-notch documentation.

Fedora has very good documentation.

There's many books published about Raspberry Pi OS.

Void Linux has top-notch documentation.

NixOS has top-notch documentation.

mageia documentation: https://www.mageia.org/en/doc/

GNU Guix Reference Manual: https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/guix.html

OpenBSD handbook: https://www.openbsdhandbook.com/

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Lets talk some more about the PI-HOLE....do I need more HW in the loop in order to have a PI-HOLE?

I have a Ubiquiti dream machine. And I would just like to be able to set everything up on it. But I have no idea where to begin.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I've based my advice on the systems that stand out for specific features, the amount of features/tools and apps, stability, performance, security and general quality.

Easy and for AMD/Intel/Nvidia users: mageia, Mint, Nobara Project, Rosa, Neptune, openKylin, GhostBSD, siduction
Average difficulty and for AMD/Intel users: Devuan, Void Linux, OpenBSD, Clear Linux, DragonFly BSD, openSUSE, FreeBSD, Alpine Linux
Average difficulty and for Nvidia users: Void Linux, openSUSE, FreeBSD, Artix Linux

If you learn to work smoothly with Linux and BSD systems, I think you would have a very different experience with the Raspberry Pi.

The Orange Pi 5 has gained a lot of extra performance that has increased the number of use cases for the device many times:

What Apple proved with the M2 chips is that you can match the speeds of the i9-13900k with ARM processors, and with much lower power consumption.

For that reason, I would like to see the processor of the Raspberry Pi made much faster, then you have a system suitable as a desktop system, and very low power consumption.
For example, if you make the Orange Pi 5 twice as fast, then you have a reasonably good and cheap desktop CPU.
Boy do I have a thread for you:

FateTrap

Neo Member
Why is the OpenBSD documentation so good?
The OpenBSD operating system is known to be secure, but also for having an accurate and excellent documentation.
In this text, I'll try to figure out what makes the OpenBSD documentation so great.

openSUSE: https://doc.opensuse.org/documentation/leap/reference/html/book-reference/index.html

Void Linux: https://docs.voidlinux.org/

Gentoo: https://www.gentoo.org/support/documentation/

Arch Linux: https://wiki.archlinux.org/

Fedora: https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fedora/latest/system-administrators-guide/

NixOS: https://nixos.org/manual/nixos/stable/index.html

Lets talk some more about the PI-HOLE....do I need more HW in the loop in order to have a PI-HOLE?

I have a Ubiquiti dream machine. And I would just like to be able to set everything up on it. But I have no idea where to begin.

AJUMP23

Gold Member

I appreciate it. But do you mind talking to me like I am a 5 year old. Can I just put it on my Dream machine without another piece of HW? Do you want to come over and help me.

This seems like a good guide.

But I just want to make sure.

FateTrap

Neo Member
I appreciate it. But do you mind talking to me like I am a 5 year old. Can I just put it on my Dream machine without another piece of HW? Do you want to come over and help me.
Your device doesn't really mention how much storage it has on the official page:

In terms of RAM, it won't be a problem, but you will need free space:

Pi-hole is very lightweight and does not require much processing power
Min. 2GB free space, 4GB recommended
512MB RAM

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Your device doesn't really mention how much storage it has on the official page:

In terms of RAM, it won't be a problem, but you will need free space:

Pi-hole is very lightweight and does not require much processing power
Min. 2GB free space, 4GB recommended
512MB RAM

I have a Dream machine PRO. should have been more clear. You are an effort poster and I appreciate it.

FateTrap

Neo Member

I have a Dream machine PRO. should have been more clear. You are an effort poster and I appreciate it.

In that case it will work.

By the way, there are several good alternatives to Pi-hole:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
In that case it will work.

By the way, there are several good alternatives to Pi-hole:

Do you have a recommendation and know of a great tutorial.

FateTrap

Neo Member
I'm rocking one pi3 and three pi4's. One is running logitech media server (with my music on a ssd) and pihole, a second with transmission and a second instance of pihole (so if one goes down I dont lose the internet). The other two are running max2play for playing my music, both of these have the pi touch screens, whilst one of them also has a 4x20 lcd screen to display music and pi info, such as bitrate and ram usage. For the one with two screens I built a custom case and have it on my hifi rack. Wouldn't be without them now.

Last edited:
I bought the latest 400 whatever version built into a keyboard. I just wanted a headless PC for bittorrent, plex, and pi-hole. It was the biggest waste of time. The amount of troubleshooting, research, and frustration I had over three days was immense. I was using the default Pi OS, but there was always something going wrong. Permissions alone on that goddamn thing was a nightmare. Even when I got it to work, it was too weak to handle the plex server without buffering. I went back to my 2012 Mac mini.

It a hobbyist toy, not a PC.

PS: pi-hole barely made a dent in the ads.

Last edited:

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
People complaining about a device because they were too stupid to do some basic research into what they're suitable for And what they're not.

Top Bottom