• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I hate loot.

unless i'm doing something wrong im pretty certain that so far 90% of the loot i've found in HZD is used for something, and the 10% is to be traded for cash.

So i'm not sure i understand this. but in general, why don't you just not pick stuff up?
The loot becomes essentially meaningless during the last third of the game. I had an inventory filled with boxes because I couldn't break them down since I was at the maximum of nearly every part type and I was collecting more stuff than I was burning through.

I love HZD but that game would've been even better with a more survivalist flair to the crafting. Stuff should have been way more sparse instead of the robot piñatas we got.

While some games do loot rather well, I hate also dislike when I have a bag FULL of different stuff and having to use 10-20 minutes discard useless stuff, selling high value stuff, and keeping the good stuff. Honestly puts a halt of gameplay when done poorly.

Yes. If these devs insists on doing this, at least give us unlimited bag space so we don't have to stop playing the game often just to empty the inventory.

Zushin

I like unique loot that is meticulously placed. Not a fan or random loot with trash items. Path of Exile is the exception for me because of the way that items work with the crafting system.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I really don't like this comic. Too often its just a lazy way of dismissing opinions you don't like.

bkMhcrF.gif

Z3M0G

Its a great mechanic to add longevity to a game. A game can be 5 hours long, but add a fun loot system and ill grind that game for 50 hours. The gameplay needs to still be ace though... obviously.

G.ZZZ

Agree, loot is garbage and people liking it are a representation of everything that's wrong with society. Loot isn't filling, it's detraction to the overall experience. Life isn't to be filled with garbage, is to be filled with meaningness of the experience.

Skinpop

Well, I love the treadmill of Diablo and the loot system in that game is such that I can quickly and easily look and compare it, equip it and sell or break it down incredibly easily. If you don't like it, you don't like it, but that's the appeal to me. It never gets in the way.

I don't dislike it on the grounds of being not fun, it can be fun but it's the manipulative and abusive aspects that I take issue with. It's the bad kind of fun and just like gambling(which also can be fun) it's fine tuned to make you addicted which I find ethically reprehensible.

There was a point in time where the random loot stuff was fairly innocent, say Diablo 1-2, but that's just not the case anymore. These things(especially mobile games, overwatch-style loot boexes and so on) are engineered to make you addicted.

Shifty

I was down for loot back when Borderlands 2 was in its heyday, but these days I find it to be time-wasting RNG bollocks.

I probably would have give Nioh considerably more time if not for the garbage-tier item management.

moonbeam

Random loot being part of a game is big turn off for me (Diablo, Nioh, etc). I agree that the Souls games and Bloodborne do loot well.

I'm curious, those of you that like lots of loot in games, are you also collectors (hoarders?) in real life?

Plum

I hate loot when it's tied to a weight system. First thing I upgraded in Horizon was the resource pack because fuck sorting through stuff that I don't know when or where I'll need it. Other than that if a game's got QoL features that make sorting through useless weapons, items, etc easy I don't mind at all.

EDIT: Horizon's isn't even a weight system, it's a slot system. So Aloy can be carrying ten trees worth of twigs but can't carry a single leaf if she's already got 20 different types of item in her magical pouch. Zelda had this issue too but at least it was only with weapons, shields and bows instead of armour and materials.

gypsie

I like it less and less nowadays tbh. Hate getting tons of worthless garbage in games like Diablo 3.

I genuinely find games like Diablo 3 therapeutic - the switch off relax & collect sparkling things while playing a game with great gameplay is just fantastic to me. I love sorting / comparing etc etc all of that jazz.

It did however piss me off in Wolfenstien as mentioned earlier.... I found myself doing exactly what was said, pointing at the floor / wall and spamming E which just wasn't fun.

Loot is godlike when done right.

Last time I hated loot was in Shadow Warrior 2, where you get bombarded with shit-tier loot and it's a chore to sift through it all after each mission.

Game made up for it by not having inventory limits though. Inventory limits are the worst part of any loot heavy game.

A large percentage of the 30 million Destiny players disagree.

You know I don't find Destiny to be all that bad. Leveling up you'll often find a new gun that is a major leap over your current which creates a very satisfying power spike, and end game you're hunting for unique weapons that for the most part have their own pros and cons that you can adapt to your playstyle.

It has problems, like the thousands of currencies and the grind to max light, but I can deal with it.

My issues with loot directly correlate with my real life. I hate collecting things and in general hoarding anything at all. I own very few material goods and they are all used almost daily.

Edit: Saw some mentions of Nioh. I consider this one of the best examples of a horrendously planned out loot system.

laxu

I hate the "you get the same thing with slightly better stats" loot systems as used by Witcher 3 or Diablo. It completely devalues defeating that powerful enemy for a unique weapon if it's not as good as that random drop you got an hour earlier. Likewise getting crafting materials as a reward is such bullshit. Nioh is a nightmare with 90% useless loot after the beginning so you spend a lot of time managing your inventory either dropping things or selling them.

I really disliked how in Bloodborne most of the things you found in the already awful chalice dungeons were just materials...to get to more chalice dungeons! Otherwise the loot in that game is spot on because every weapon and armor is viable to use the moment you get it and when upgraded, all the way to the end. More about picking your favorite gear rather than picking whatever gives you the highest stats.

D.Lo

I totally agree. Some people seem to respond to the gasha nature of it. I loathe it.

Compare real Metroid games to any of the clones with RPG levelling and loot. Metroid is so much more elegant, all content is meaningful, not just clutter for gambling addicts.

gelf

Stay away from my favorit game: Dragons crown
This is a good example of how loot and other RPG elements ruin a game for me sometimes. I love the genre but I couldn't finish Dragons Crown. I was crying out for some kind of lighter arcade mode with that stuff cut out.

I can't say I agree at all. Hell, your example with Fallout 4? I LOVED its loot system. Loved that whatever piece of trash I picked up went into the incredible base building mini game.

Hell, for me Fallout 4 was at its best as a game where I focused on the loot to build my town. So much fun ^^

Also why wouldn't I want to pick up the random bad guy's weapons? I'd love to see their stats and how they play. One of my biggest disappointments with Bloodborne was that I couldn't pick up the pitchforks that the villagers dropped :(

Seeing those legendary drops in Borderlands is a feeling that it unmatched. Getting that raid drop in Destiny is a great feeling.

I guess what I'm getting at is that I love loot. Armor drops? Weapon drops, cosmetics, and any other kind of loot an enemy wants to drop for me.

I hate loot too. In Horizon: ZD not only is loot useless 99% of the time - I've yet to find better upgrades than the ones of found 60 hours earlier - but some of them needs to be kept because you actually need the to buy things. Yes. I found myself selling useless loot just to discover later that some sellers wanted these particular loot in exchange for an Armor. Seriously. Now I have to keep every loot the game give me just in case. Nonsense.

Plus hunting animals to get skin and discovering that most of the time killing an animal doesn't give you the corresponding skin - yes it seems like some rats don't come with skin - made me conscious that loot is the worst system ever.

jdstorm

Banned
I hate loot too. In Horizon: ZD not only is loot useless 99% of the time - I've yet to find better upgrades than the ones of found 60 hours earlier - but some of them needs to be kept because you actually need the to buy things. Yes. I found myself selling useless loot just to discover later that some sellers wanted these particular loot in exchange for an Armor. Seriously. Now I have to keep every loot the game give me just in case. Nonsense.

Plus hunting animals to get skin and discovering that most of the time killing an animal doesn't give you the corresponding skin - yes it seems like some rats don't come with skin - made me conscious that loot is the worst system ever.

There is a create a quest tab that allows you to keep track of the loot you need for crafting/buying items.

You can also just buy everything you need from a specific shop that appears about halfway through the game. You should basically sell everything in Horizon and just rebuy what you need before missions.

There is a create a quest tab that allows you to keep track of the loot you need for crafting/buying items.

You can also just buy everything you need from a specific shop that appears about halfway through the game. You should basically sell everything in Horizon and just rebuy what you need before missions.

Wait, can you buy animal parts? I might just go sell everything that isn't need for ammunition based on this advice.

The Souls approach is far better than what Nioh does, indeed. Loot has been overdone lately.

edit: Doesn't the "I don't like thing" comic get you banned these days?

patapuf

I'm not the biggest fan of loot that's just weapons that get stronger.

I prefer stuff i collect to be a rescource i can spend in various ways.

bebop242

Same here, kinda. I just hate having to stop every few minutes to pick up items, open menu and decide which gear to discard/keep. And repeat that for 50+ hours. Most games are not like this, but games like borderlands and diablo is, and I can't play those games for more than a few hours before uninstalling.

edit- instead of giving me garbage equipment, give me materials and ingredients that I can use to upgrade or create actual useful equipment with.

Warframe is a good example of your edit part. Wish Borderlands would to more with item leveling and customizable abilities.

cyba89

It's the reason I can't get into most western RPGs. I don't like everything loot, crafting, hunting, material farming and potion brewing stuff. I just ignore it most of the time.

It's rarely done well (like in Souls).

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Completely agree, OP. Sorting through endless piles of garbage is not fun, it's work. And it doesn't make a game more realistic or immersive ether.

If anything it breaks immersion because you are constantly asking yourself "hmm, I wonder if the designers intended for me to use this somehow".

And yeah, Fallout 4 was the worst offender. Like someone said "Fallout 3 had too much random junk with no real use" and their response was "okay, lets make it so every random piece of garbage has a purpose, and lets even make an entire new gameplay mechanic about digging through garbage!"
It's the reason I can't get into most western RPGs. I don't like everything loot, crafting, hunting, material farming and potion brewing stuff. I just ignore it most of the time.

It's rarely done well (like in Souls).
I feel like this stuff is just there in order to give you stuff to do in the open world. Not because it's actually fun.

The quicker and easier it is to differentiate between loot, the better. It's why I love Borderlands so much, you only need to look at a gun for a second to see if you want to pick it up or not. Plus you can just put it in your inventory or select the slot you want it in and equip it right away with no need for menus. Not to mention the loot itself is wildly varied and well balanced.

I do have a thing for hoarding based loot systems like Bethesda's games. Fallout 4 especially as everything you picked up actually went towards something this time. I do understand why a lot of people hated it though.

amdb00mer

I partially agree with you OP. While it's cool to see what all items you can get, on the other hand your right, we all end up using the same weapon gear that is listed as epic. Even though Borderlands had an insane amount of loot I think it handle it ok. Other games with these loot crates/chests have just turned what some people enjoy into what you said, a gambling affair. It's pretty disgusting. If the ONLY way to get these crates/chests was through progression or in-game currency it would be ok, but that's not the case any more. It's all about the almighty MT god and appeasing him.
In regards to the Souls games I feel it was not a loot fest. Especially since you could choose how you wanted to upgrade/enhance a weapon or armor.

Top Bottom