• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I hate this show or film because of its fans...

C4lukin2

Banned
So I have witnessed this discussion, it Is like 20 years of people expressing their opinions on certain franchises. This is shit, that is shit....

But when you say the fans are the worst, what are you even talking about?

Let’s just use Star Wars as a starting point. Is it the fans that hate everything outside of the original trilogy? Or is it fans of the extended universe that are the problem? Is it fans of the first two films, who hate all of it after Ewoks?

With Rick and Morty, somehow it was the aggressive fans that ruined that franchise. I have read so many posts, that the fan base ruined it for them. “I love the show, but the dickhead fans ruined it for me.” Really are you that insecure?

I do not get it. If you enjoy a thing, who gives a shit what other dickheads have to say about the show. And you should not invest your enjoyment in anything on how other people perceive it.

C4lukin2

Banned
Sometimes Star Wars is not great. Do all Star Wars fans suck because some of them hate most of it, or because they defend all of it.

ok, it is impossible to love all of it if you have a brain, but shitting on all of it is equally stupid.

C4lukin2

Banned
Main point being, if you love something, enjoy it.
No reason to analyze your joy for a franchise, based on people who are shitting on it.
Have fun with the things that you love, and do not spend more then an hour defending them.

Tesseract

Banned
it's good to know who is watching what, there's usually a why at the bottom that's pathological

not always tho, like what you like without mercy if that's your way

GuyPanics

Neo Member
The Rick and Morty fan base are very odd to me. How a fan base can ruin a show for anyone is silly. Just watch the show if you enjoy it. It seems like people need to be validated on their hate.

SpartanN92

Banned
Dr Who. I’ve never seen a single episode but I hate it because it’s fans are a bunch of weirdo virgins and are also probably anime fans.

C4lukin2

Banned
That is the problematic attitude.

Fuck the fans.

watch the show for yourself.

You may hate it or love it, but this idea that fans ruin a show is BS IMO.

The best thing to do is watch the thing. Give it a few episodes, and decide for yourself. Listening to the fandom of any property will kill it before you even have a chance at enjoying it.

Codes 208

Crossing over to games, but i still say sonic fans are the epitome of shitty fanbases.

as far as shows go, i recall the creator of steven universe having several meltdowns due to backlash from the fans regarding which characters got shipped.

Fans who dedicate themselves to a show have a tenancy to overshadow the creators and act as a backseat director of sorts and if what they create doesnt fit with that fans’ preference, they’ll haunt the creator for it, and whats worse: it can be a lot of these shitheads at once doing the haunting.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
imo all fans get a bad wrap. truth is only a fraction of people in any given fandom will be lunatics. only a fraction of fans are fanatics. this is true for every universe, ip, brand, franchise, religion, sports, politics, etc.

the problem is that modern journalism is outrage based. it is based on what gets the most attention on the internet. shitting on fans is an easy way to get attention. in truth, there is nothing inherently bad about any of these franchises that produce uniquely terrible fans.

one major factor to consider is that most of the franchises which people complain about are massively popular, known to tens, hundreds of millions of people around the world, there will always be some mass murderers or otherwise violent lunatics among that just as a matter of statistics. there is a tendency to blame the media itself. this is mostly posturing, often by the very fans of the franchise in question (who see themselves as "the good ones"). it is a general form of consumer misanthropy.

eot

Banned
The Rick and Morty fan base are very odd to me. How a fan base can ruin a show for anyone is silly. Just watch the show if you enjoy it. It seems like people need to be validated on their hate.
People want to be validated in everything they do. It's why we have reaction emojis now.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Dr Who. I’ve never seen a single episode but I hate it because it’s fans are a bunch of weirdo virgins and are also probably anime fans.
I've known 3 Dr.Who fans irl. One was a gay man that got married to a girl to please his dad. The other was a rockabilly girl who cheated on her bf regularly and the third person was this fat chick that got that stomach surgery to lose weight but gained 40lbs later on top of being an actual two faced psychopath. You may be on to something here.

InertKiwi

I saw the first season of Rwby when it first came out but, while waiting for the second season, I lost interest. I thought about going back and continuing it but I've heard the fanbase got pretty bad. So all of my interest is kinda donezo.

Kadayi

Banned
I've never really understood fandom tbh. Certainly, there are bands or ppl who produce things that I like, but I've never been of the view that whatever they make or produce is somehow infallible or something I'm going to naturally approve of. Some people are super consistent, for sure but that's no guarantee of an enjoyable experience at the end of the day.

GV82

The best way is to avoid talking about it. Don’t go into the discussion threads, don’t have conversations about it irl and don’t follow or talk about it on Social media then you will have a way better time enjoying it.

Don't even bother with the people say its shit or its good.

Only you won’t because when “fans” start influencing the way Hollywood is run and they do I hate when people say they don’t, your favourite pop culture thing is likely going to go to shit, because Social Media seeps in and influences everything nowadays. Sometimes for the good but not always.

Couple of times I keep thinking I may give up following pop culture stuff again like I did when I was a Teenager to early 20’s.

It needs to go underground again but it wont, not for a long time.

Also I should heed my own advice because I end up being a hypocrite, fuck!

Last edited:

GeorgPrime

Banned
So I have witnessed this discussion, it Is like 20 years of people expressing their opinions on certain franchises. This is shit, that is shit....

But when you say the fans are the worst, what are you even talking about?

Let’s just use Star Wars as a starting point. Is it the fans that hate everything outside of the original trilogy? Or is it fans of the extended universe that are the problem? Is it fans of the first two films, who hate all of it after Ewoks?

With Rick and Morty, somehow it was the aggressive fans that ruined that franchise. I have read so many posts, that the fan base ruined it for them. “I love the show, but the dickhead fans ruined it for me.” Really are you that insecure?

I do not get it. If you enjoy a thing, who gives a shit what other dickheads have to say about the show. And you should not invest your enjoyment in anything on how other people perceive it.

Well i literally joined a "Netflix Fan Group" and right now i deleted the group and canceled my Netflix subscription. If 80 % of Netflix user are like those people in the group... then i dont have anything good to say about it anymore. There are really people who watch a TV Show whole day and after they are done... they rewatch it again....and again...and again. I read about a guy who was watching a TV show literally on repeat every week. And hey dont do everything else.

Iama already bored by a TV show after iam done with it for the first time. Doesnt matter if it was great or not.

Most people (and they were like thousands) in the group were really like:

- Work
- Come home
- Netflix
- Sleep

There were people that are so bored by their life that they know everything on Netflix and complaining about not having more stuff. Or they literally had every streaming service.... they even like it if all companies have now their own streaming and they gladly pay for itt

That cant be healthy on a mental or physical level.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

I'm with you OP, most of the times i can ignore the fanbase of any given property.

The Sonic fanbase though, too hard to ignore.
To be fair though are Sonic fans( and I guess mainstream fans as well) the only fans ever to successfully got a movie character's look changed to make it better?

I mean that's score one for them.

Airola

I don't hate any movies or shows because of its fans, but there's one movie I kinda like even less because of the fans... The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

I can't stand that movie. Tried to watch it twice and just couldn't. And then I read about some super fans gathering on a movie theater cosplaying it and singing along the songs and shouting the lines, the mere thought of it makes me cringe extra hard and kinda makes me like the movie even less. But I would dislike the movie even without the fans. Never liked it and probably never will.

Birdo

Banned
Pretty much any show or movie that's very popular.

More popular = more assholes.

(The same goes for consoles....)

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
Adult men that are Nintendo fans are also pretty annoying 🤷🏻‍♂️

don't take metroid from me, it's all i have

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Super Mario

Banned
One of the the worst things you can do is listen to the opinion of anyone. I'd go as far as to take opinions of new things to watch, and that's it. Do you have any idea how many times someone has liked something, then hated it once they heard someone else's opinion?

Gargus

Banned
Why or how someone else could ruin a show me is something I can't even imagine or begin to fathom. How in the hell could someone else's opinion effect your own?

If I like a movie I like it, I don't give a shit what anyone else thinks. Oh big fucking deal, some internet strangers don't like it. So what?

diffusionx

Gold Member
I thought Portal was the coolest little game, then after reading 50,000 """"""""""""""""""""""""jokes"""""""""""""""""""""""" about the cake is, in fact, a lie, I wish it had never existed.

The game was still great, I just didn't want to hear about it anymore.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty. The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Rick's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Rick & Morty truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Rick's existential catchphrase "Wubba Lubba Dub Dub," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Dan Harmon's genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them.

And yes, by the way, i DO have a Rick & Morty tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.

I think the last time I paid any attention to a fandom was back in high school for the TV show Fringe and the movie Cloverfield.

One thing I could never understand is when people get upset when certain movies or games aren't recognized as best of the year at their award shows. I feel like if you enjoyed something then whatever someone else thinks shouldn't take away your enjoyment of that movie or game. Some people just need to learn not to give a fuck; it's entertainment, not a job.

mortal

Gold Member
It's fucking dumb.

I wouldn't ever hate on something if it's good, just because the fanbase happens to be full of obnoxious people.
What, are you going to start hating water and oxygen too? I'd say everyone are fans of those.

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
expensive samsung phones I don't care about phones but if I were ever going to spend $700/$800 on a phone its gonna be an iPhone

GuyPanics

Neo Member
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty. The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Rick's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Rick & Morty truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Rick's existential catchphrase "Wubba Lubba Dub Dub," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Dan Harmon's genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them.

And yes, by the way, i DO have a Rick & Morty tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.
I see what you did there!

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
I, for one, refuse to be in the same room as someone who thought The Last Jedi was good. It would be my first question before deciding whether to help at a road accident or not.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I get the sentiment, but it's ultimately a stupid reason to hate something, in accordance with most sheep behavior patterns.

It's akin to jumping on the bandwagon to like something just because others like it, except even more pathetic.

Doczu

The usual suspects from Star Wars have been mentioned so i will just add Warhammer 40k. Yeah, not a movie or show but holy shit try to be a noob that wants to get into the stuff. Or worse (in their eyes) even - try to just like something from the lore, but don't want to play the tabletop. The amount of times i was blasted by neckbeard nerds for liking the video games, Space Hulk and the general world aesthetics and memes was oberwhelming. One may say it's just a vocal minority, but for W40k that minority is suspiciously a majority 🤔

Top Bottom