• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I have enjoyed Attack on Titan/My Hero Academia, what other anime’s should I watch?

mid83

I’m pretty new to the medium. I’ve been watching Attack on Titan and My Hero Academia and have enjoyed them so far. I’ve also enjoyed some old Gundum shows recommended to me on GAF earlier this year. It’s really changed my view on anime, which has been negative for most of my life.

What are some shows I should look into? I looked at Summer shows airing and most of them seem to be way out of my wheelhouse (lots of fan service etc...).

I have read some recommendations of watching One Peace or Naruto (but cutting out all the fillers). Those are super long shows but I’m willing to watch if either one is highly recommended.

I’m in my mid 30s if that has any bearing on recommendations.

Permanently A

Hunter x Hunter

its a long one, but its THE long one to watch. Its hard to give you any kind of clip because I don't want to spoil anything. Its basically about a boy who goes off to find his father who left when he was a baby.

In general, Cowboy Bebop is a highly recommend show for beginners as it has a very western vibe to it. Short too. Here's the opening of the movie which gives you a sense of what the anime is like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owgu_DxlwVU

Samurai Champloo is also a great option. Here's a fight from episode 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzErUBYQZpI

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

A common recommendation, but it's a great and funny action show.

Cowboy Bebop is also a classic, but not shounen. It's been described as a perfect gateway anime for good reason.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Watch Naruto, Bleach, One Price. That way if you say you watch anime you can cover your basis.

As a fan of One Piece, it's better to just read the manga if you want to experience it. Filler arcs aside, the anime's animation is typically nothing special, and the later parts of the series have really awful pacing in the anime due to covering 1 chapter (or less recently) of manga despite the fact that a manga chapter is far quicker to go through than a 24 minute anime episode. And the manga is quicker to go through which helps alleviate it's length

As for anime, Hunter x Hunter is a fantastic suggestion. If you're ok with something more comedy oriented Gintama is absolutely amazing (just skip the first 2 episodes, the real start is episode 3). Jojo's Bizzare Adventure is another series I'd highly recommend (and while somewhat long, it's split into parts which are each essentially their own series). Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood is also a fantastic show

Oh yeah, and Mob Psycho 100 is amazing

Permanently A

Watch Naruto, Bleach, One Price. That way if you say you watch anime you can cover your basis.

As a fan of Bleach since the beginning, please do not watch Bleach

Or stop watching after the first big arc ends.

Do yourself a favour and don't watch one piece.

Mob Psycho 100 and One Punch man are solid recommendations.

Mob Psycho is a tremendously good show with great action and characters, One Punch is really funny action comedy.

If you want more shounen type stuff then you could check out Yu Yu Hakusho. Classic anime. Regarding what you liked and saw so far i'd also recommend Darker than black, Attack on Titan, Kabaneri, FullMetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, also Code Geass.

General "this is essentially essential viewing because of it's cultural importance in this medium also it's great", mixing both shows and movies: Cowboy bebop, Evangelion, Haruhi (not sure you'd like this one, but its worth a shot), Ghost In the Shell, Samurai Shamploo, Akira, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Paprika, Paranoia Agent, Wolf's Rain, Monster.

Then there's also my favourite anime of all time: Legend of the galactic heroes. Scifi, political intrigue and great writing all around.

As a fan of Bleach since the beginning, please do not watch Bleach

Or stop watching after the first big arc ends.

Mob Psycho is a tremendously good show with great action and characters, One Punch is really funny action comedy.
Absolutely correct. Hell, I'd say it's a good thing the anime never reached the actual ending of Bleach, because the last arc of Bleach was pure shit and the ending was absolute garbage

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Do yourself a favour and don't watch one piece.

Mob Psycho 100 and One Punch man are solid recommendations.
Don't listen this man, One Piece is still among the best the genre has to offer. Just skipp over from the anime after Shabondy. Shows like One Punch man land better if you actually know what the tropes shounen genre actually are but they are still excellent reconstructions.

Any reason why? Is it just the length or the content as well?

The content and general tone of the show is fine; it's just stretched out massively from (relatively) early on. If you want to go through one piece, I'd recommend maybe the first hundred or so episodes to get to the grand line, and maybe the crocodile/vivi arc, then go to the manga and read it instead, occasionally looking up clips of scenes from the anime.

Permanently A

Any reason why? Is it just the length or the content as well?

One Piece is good. But I'm wary of recommending it right off the bat because it takes a lot of time to watch. Also once you catch up, there's nothing else to do but wait for new episodes or like most fans, read the manga. I think its more interesting to watch more complete and satisfying shows first, that will give you a broader experience of the different types of anime there are. However its up to your personal preference of how you like to consume TV.

I really think Cowboy Bebop is a great option, I've added a clip to my first post which will give you a great idea of what the anime is like.

abundant

I was in the same shoes as you several years ago, with Attack on Titan being my first anime series I watched. Here's a list of anime I've checked out since then that I would recommend.

Hunter x Hunter
One Punch Man
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Cowboy Bebop

You can't go wrong with any of these.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
One Piece is good. But I'm wary of recommending it right off the bat because it takes a lot of time to watch. Also once you catch up, there's nothing else to do but wait for new episodes or like most fans, read the manga. I think its more interesting to watch more complete and satisfying shows first, that will give you a broader experience of the different types of anime there are. However its up to your personal preference of how you like to consume TV.

I really think Cowboy Bebop is a great option, I've added a clip to my first post which will give you a great idea of what the anime is like.
Yeah but that happens after several hundreds of episodes. One piece has minimal episode filler it's once they enter one character per episode it goes to shit but it has great voice acting and decent animation for a large portion of it.

If your going only watch the first hundred episodes you might as well not bother most the best animated sections are not in their and not just the key scenes.

Permanently A

Yeah but that happens after several hundreds of episodes. One piece has minimal episode filler it's once they enter one character per episode it goes to shit but it has great voice acting and decent animation for a large portion of it.

To me its like a novice traveler saying "I want to travel the world, where should I visit?" and recommending One Piece is like saying "Go to Italy and live there for a decade." I mean Italy is great, but hopping around the world and seeing the varied sights the world has to offer is what appeals to the traveler in me.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
To me its like a novice traveler saying "I want to travel the world, where should I visit?" and recommending One Piece is like saying "Go to Italy and live there for a decade." I mean Italy is great, but hopping around the world and seeing the varied sights the world has to offer is what appeals to the traveler in me.
It'a not like he has to binge one piece in one go. Keep in mind both HXH and FMA are long time investments in their own very few of these are short shows.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Space Dandy

It's ridiculous, funny, sad, introspective, charming and heartfelt.
2SZGLYL.gif
J7rmpgB.gif
mM7TZIt.gif

wC4mYGU.gif
cejPHDB.gif
Ce3D7W7.gif

Briarios

I’m pretty new to the medium. I’ve been watching Attack on Titan and My Hero Academia and have enjoyed them so far. I’ve also enjoyed some old Gundum shows recommended to me on GAF earlier this year. It’s really changed my view on anime, which has been negative for most of my life.

What are some shows I should look into? I looked at Summer shows airing and most of them seem to be way out of my wheelhouse (lots of fan service etc...).

I have read some recommendations of watching One Peace or Naruto (but cutting out all the fillers). Those are super long shows but I’m willing to watch if either one is highly recommended.

I’m in my mid 30s if that has any bearing on recommendations.

Where are you watching? Are you using a particular streaming service like Crunchyroll? That'll help determine what's available ... Or are you using "other" means?

mid83

Where are you watching? Are you using a particular streaming service like Crunchyroll? That'll help determine what's available ... Or are you using "other" means?

I’ve been using Hulu/Netflix for older episodes and Funimation for new dubs. I’m ok with using any of the streaming services, Crunchyroll and Anime Strike besides the ones I’ve already used (not sure if there are any others besides these five).

abundant

It'a not like he has to binge one piece in one go. Keep in mind both HXH and FMA are long time investments in their own very few of these are short shows.

I wouldn't really call FMA a "long time investment" show, especially when compared to HxH and OP. It's only has 64 episodes, so if you binge 5 episodes per night it will only take you a few weeks at most.

Permanently A

True, I guess its just me personally that when I watch a show I will only watch that alone, cause I don't want to forget whats happening and lose interest.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yep, but the adaptations are designed to be watched in order. And Zero is much tighter.
Fate /Zero assumes as basic understand of the fate franchise for you to get the ending. There's a reason why the started with zero and then went straight to UBW because the Fate route itself had adapted loong before thus was a redundant adaptation. Even with ubw the zero ending isn't fully explained.

Elandyll

Banned
If you like to see your hero suffer gruesomely with a decent twist on usual fantasy tropes, I thought Re: Zero was pretty good.

Lakuza

Highly recommend one piece, its long but if you enjoy it you'll be greatful for the length and will marathon through it. I caught up to it in about 2 months I think of marathoning through it (it was about 550 episodes in at the time). It has some of the most memorable moments in any anime for me, really hits the feels :p

Naruto is a weird one for me, it was one of the original long term anime that I watched and when I caught up I continued with the manga but the story dropped in quality the closer it got to the end and it didn't handle power creep well at all.

I also recommend Full Metal Alchemist:Brotherhood and Hunter x Hunter based off your current tastes.
Then try out some different genre anime like Death Note and Psycho Pass which are quite different to the ones you're watching right now.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
That's kind of the premise of UBW, the costs of 'being a hero'.
Truthfully I preferred the VN version largely due to limitations of the medium and artistic choices the ufotanle version skips out large sections climaxes while the sections it does so over and over again.

You don't get Shirou and Archers introspection the main events which is the whole point considering it was an ideological battle.

Just like some recommend reading the manga for some of these animus I'd recommend reading the VN for FSN. It does a lot better with some weakness mixed in.

The FZ anime is largely fine as an adaptation of the LN. Your not not missing much aside from Kiritsugu being much more of dick.

Also Lancelot kick sabers ads in the LN until Kariya dies which cause him to stop moving and saber to the then kill him.

cj_iwakura

Truthfully I preferred the VN version largely due to limitations of the medium and artistic choices the ufotanle version skips out large sections climaxes while the sections it does so over and over again.

You don't get Shirou and Archers introspection the main events which is the whole point considering it was an ideological battle.

Just like some recommend reading the manga for some of these animus I'd recommend reading the VN for FSN. It does a lot better with some weakness mixed in.

The FZ anime is largely fine as an adaptation of the LN. Your not not missing much aside from Kiritsugu being much more of dick.
I'd love to read the LN. The manga looked weak.

Top Bottom