• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I have enjoyed Attack on Titan/My Hero Academia, what other anime’s should I watch?

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Samurai Champloo
Nadia Secret of Blue water
Cowboy Bepop
Deathnote
Trigun
Air
Code Geass
Angle beats
Psycho Pass
Erogo Proxy
Hellsing
Hunter X Hunter
Steins;gate

Briarios

I’ve been using Hulu/Netflix for older episodes and Funimation for new dubs. I’m ok with using any of the streaming services, Crunchyroll and Anime Strike besides the ones I’ve already used (not sure if there are any others besides these five).

Ok, well, I'm gonna give you some outside the box suggestions to kinda give you some options outside the most recent & most popular shows - this is from a fan of recent and popular shows, but there is a lot more to anime than just fan service and violence, that's what I like about the medium - you can find anything.

Serial Experiments Lain - a somewhat prescient look at the internet and connected life. It's really good, and pretty short.

Aria The Animation - this was recently added to Crunchyroll and just had an Uber successful Kickstarter for Blu-rays. It's a gentle, slice of life anime set on a now water covered Mars. I love Gundam, Attack on Titan, all those sorts of shows, but this is calming and funny and touches a place of nostalgia you don't even realize you need.

Noir - think of Leon: The Professional as an anime, with really good music. It's about a pair of female assassins, their bond, and the conspiracy facing them.

Baby Steps - a sports anime focusing on tennis. I didn't think I'd like it, but it was really good. It's just about a high school kid that gets into tennis and his journey.

FLCL - I have no way to explain this one to you; it's a classic. A sequel is on the way, too.

Sound! Euphonium - it's about a high school concert band, it's good - but displays occasional flashes of brilliance that makes it worth watching.

A lot of what people have listed in the thread are excellent choices, I just wanted to provide some alternative avenues of anime exploration :)

phaze

If it's more of "fighting" shows you want then FMA:Brotherhood is to my mind still the best classic shounen out there. Not perfect by any means but a real good combination of proper story and good/great production values combined with still fairly reasonable episode count.

F/Z for a really good but more depressing and more bloody fighting show.

FLCL at 6 episodes only is a good bet as well even for people new to medium. Gurren Lagann if you want a good mecha anime.
----

If you're willing to diversify you consumption a bit than I'd rec checking out things like Mononoke, Mushishi, Kyousougiga

cj_iwakura

Read the LN version of Lancelot vs Saver. I liked it more but that's just me being a Lancelot fanboy.
I couldn't find it, but I did find the TV Tropes article on Zero, which is incredible.
Dungeon Bypass: Kayneth El-Melloi Archibald is in the thirty-second floor of a hotel—his bounded field covers twenty-four floors (even going over the drainage pipes), there are three magical furnaces for his use, and he has ten summoned evil spirits and apparitions—a magus's veritable fortress. How does Kiritsugu deal with this? Apply a small amount of C4 to the supports and bring the entire place down.

VeeP

I’m pretty new to the medium. I’ve been watching Attack on Titan and My Hero Academia and have enjoyed them so far. I’ve also enjoyed some old Gundum shows recommended to me on GAF earlier this year. It’s really changed my view on anime, which has been negative for most of my life.

What are some shows I should look into? I looked at Summer shows airing and most of them seem to be way out of my wheelhouse (lots of fan service etc...).

I have read some recommendations of watching One Peace or Naruto (but cutting out all the fillers). Those are super long shows but I’m willing to watch if either one is highly recommended.

I’m in my mid 30s if that has any bearing on recommendations.

I'm not a fan of the One Piece and Naruto anime tbh. One Piece anime is just really long, inconsistent, etc. Manga is far superior IMO, but if you have the time and things like dragging out an episode or the animation quality (which is decent) don't bother you, go for it! It has a great cast of characters and story, but like I said if you can read the manga it's superior.

Naruto has lots of fillers, and I gave up on it because of that. Filler free I guess go for it?

Hunter x Hunter 2011 anime is pretty much the opposite of these. No filler, and each episode represents about 3 manga chapters. The animation is extremely solid.

Other animes:

Haikyuu - A sports anime about volleyball. I wasn't sure if I would like it but the characters really pull you in. As the show goes on you want them to succeed and win. It's great.

Yu Yu Hakusho - A story about a high schooler who's killed, and end's up becoming the Spirit Detective.

Full Metal Alchemist/Brotherhood: Two animes. First one veers off and does it's own thing, second one follows the manga.

Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans

Samurai Champloo

Buckle

Treat yourself to One Punch Man and then saddle up for Jojo weirdness.

One Punch Man is just wonderfully original and entertaining.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I couldn't find it, but I did find the TV Tropes article on Zero, which is incredible.
Dungeon Bypass: Kayneth El-Melloi Archibald is in the thirty-second floor of a hotel—his bounded field covers twenty-four floors (even going over the drainage pipes), there are three magical furnaces for his use, and he has ten summoned evil spirits and apparitions—a magus's veritable fortress. How does Kiritsugu deal with this? Apply a small amount of C4 to the supports and bring the entire place down.
Baka tsuki is normally a good source for LN translations but you'll have to wade through to find the part since each volume us quite long though. There's 4 but it is entertaining like the anime berseker vs saver is in volume 4.

Sometimes you'pm have a blog which has the pdfs for them that's we're I read Fate Stange/fake which is very good but long and fairly slow to update. Certainly Zero/SN quality though by the author of durarara has gilgamesg fight contemparily powerful servants allowing him to go all our from the start. Has Enkidu his only friend from legend and equal which puts him in a good mood and
pestilence of the 4 horsemen and the strongest assassins you'll see around
. It's a sequel to both FZ and a (fake) route of SN with references to both and Waver as a major character though not main

abundant

Naruto has lots of fillers, and I gave up on it because of that. Filler free I guess go for it?

Agreed. As someone that just finished up the Naruto series, I highly recommend following a list of what episodes to watch and what to skip if you decide to check it out. Way too much pointless filler.

Limit

You cannot go wrong with Hunter X hunter (2011 version). This show goes places.

Mob psycho 100

One punch man.

Start with these 3.

Briarios

Do you need to watch any previous Gundam series for this? I’ve seen some of the older stuff but I haven’t seen any of the more modern Gundam series.

No, you don't - you can watch this completely on its own.

However, if you ever want to check out some older Gundam -- 0080: War in the Pocket is an amazing 6 episode series.

mid83

Does anybody recommend Ghost in the Shell? The movie looked interesting (no clue how good or bad it was but the premise seemed interesting). Haven’t seen any recommendations for it yet so I wanted to ask.

By the way thanks for all the recommendations so far. GAF delivers as usual.

Musolf815

Little Witch Academia
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Fullmetal Alchemist (ideally both versions + movies 03 - Conqueror of Shamballa movie - Brotherhood but just the latter if you're pressed for time)
Madoka Magica

cj_iwakura

Does anybody recommend Ghost in the Shell? The movie looked interesting (no clue how good or bad it was but the premise seemed interesting). Haven’t seen any recommendations for it yet so I wanted to ask.

No. Visuals only, not a fan of the plot.

mid83

Little Witch Academia
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Fullmetal Alchemist (ideally both versions + movies 03 - Conqueror of Shamballa movie - Brotherhood but just the latter if you're pressed for time)
Madoka Magica

If seems like FMA: B is all I can find on streaming services. It’s FMA available anywhere? I’d prefer not to resort to “other means”.

Briarios

The movie is great, but in my opinion, it goes mostly for concept over plot. That's ok; it is a Mamoru Oshii film after all. I did like Shirow's original manga better, but there is a reason people call the movie a masterpiece. So, I definitely recommend seeing it.

Musolf815

If seems like FMA: B is all I can find on streaming services. It’s FMA available anywhere? I’d prefer not to resort to “other means”.

It doesn't look like 03 is streaming right now, it used to be on Netflix so hopefully it'll pop up again there at some point.

Brakke

Banned
Hunter x Hunter

its a long one, but its THE long one to watch. Its hard to give you any kind of clip because I don't want to spoil anything. Its basically about a boy who goes off to find his father who left when he was a baby.

I watched this one until the 1000 year old dragon in a loli body showed up.

🚮

Laiza

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood should absolutely be at the top of your list. One of the most well-executed series of all time.

And yeah, ONE's works (One Punch Man and Mob Psycho 100) are probably right up your alley, too.

And since it doesn't get nearly enough attention: Rage of Bahamut (a.k.a. "Shingeki no Bahamut"), both Genesis (the first series) and Virgin Soul (the sequel series) are well worth watching. The writing and directing style are unique among anime, too.

And if you're up for something a bit different... Thunderbolt Fantasy. It's a puppet show, but it's an anime as fuck puppet show! I mean, just watch the first scene, and you'll understand pretty quickly what I'm talking about.

On the top of my head Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, Death Parade,Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinju, Cowboy Bebop, Yu Yu Hakusho, Hunter x Hunter, Mob Psycho 100, Monster, Death Note, Haikyuu!! would all be my recommendations .

If you want a romance maybe something like Clannad and Yuri on Ice.

LotusHD

Banned
Read One Piece. I repeat, read One Piece.

---

Hunter X Hunter
Hajime no Ippo
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Yu Yu Hakusho
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Monster
One Punch Man
Mob Psycho 100
Death Note
Code Geass
Shinsekai Yori
Haikyuu
Psycho Pass (Only Season 1)
Ping Pong the Animation
Michiko to Hatchin
Shiki
Rage of Bahamut
Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul (Basically Season 2)
91 Days
Samurai Champloo

I watched this one until the 1000 year old dragon in a loli body showed up. ��
Her lol?
latest

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I watched this one until the 1000 year old dragon in a loli body showed up.

��

Uhhh what? There is only one character this could even remotely apply to and just using that term to describe her shows you didn't understand it in the first place or the character herself.

Paranoïa agent
Gurenn lagaan (not sure about the spelling)
Death note
Serial experiment Lain

Shounen adaptation such as one piece or bleach, well... Just read them, animes are insufferably slow and full of stupid fillers.

HStallion

Paranoïa agent
Gurenn lagaan (not sure about the spelling)
Death note
Serial experiment Lain

Shounen adaptation such as one piece or bleach, well... Just read them, animes are insufferably slow and full of stupid fillers.

HxH's anime actually stream lined the manga in several parts so this is not true. FMA Brotherhood have little to no filler as well.

I'm pretty new to the medium. I've been watching Attack on Titan and My Hero Academia and have enjoyed them so far. I've also enjoyed some old Gundum shows recommended to me on GAF earlier this year. It's really changed my view on anime, which has been negative for most of my life.

If you want to keep up on the Battle Shonen front, then One Punch Man is a good anime to follow up on. It's a 12-episode series, so it's not a massive time sink either. And if you end up liking that, then Mob Psycho 100 might also be worth your time.

FullMetal Alchemist Brotherhood has a pretty engaging story from beginning to end.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is a really fun sendup to the Giant Robot genre.

Do you need to watch any previous Gundam series for this? I've seen some of the older stuff but I haven't seen any of the more modern Gundam series.

IBO is a stand alone series. The only recent Gundam series that hasn't really been standalone was Unicorn.

One Piece, but I'm a fanstical One Piece purist so I recommend just reading the manga from day one, and when I say reading the manga I mean the black and white manga, not the inferior colored version some will recommend.
But choose whichever path you like, anime is still worth it.

(I've refused to get any of my friends into the series via the anime, which has made my work harder and failed in some cases, I should chill on that, not good.)

HStallion

Ok fine she's a 50 year old Hulk in a loli body lol.

��

So please show us where she is sexualized as I'm betting you don't actually realize that the whole "1000 year old dragon" thing is as an excuse for being able to depict young girl characters in sexed up manners. Her being an older character that looks young does not make her a 1000 year old dragon.

Brakke

Banned
Ok I'm sorry I'm not deep enough into precision anime lingo for you. How about just have a fifty year old woman as a character. Why are they too afraid to do that.

Meanwhile Gon is the most generic ass anime boy there is. No dad, his power is believing in himself, naively friendly. Dude is just boring.

Hunter X Hunter a show for twelve year old boys which also, wildly, has the main antagonist straight up popping pedophile murderer boners.

HStallion

Ok I'm sorry I'm not deep enough into precision anime lingo for you. How about just have a fifty year old woman as a character. Why are they too afraid to do that.

Meanwhile Gon is the most generic ass anime boy there is. No dad, his power is believing in himself, naively friendly. Dude is just boring.

Hunter X Hunter a show for twelve year old boys which also, wildly, has the main antagonist straight up popping pedophile murderer boners.

Gotta love moving those goal posts. Not too mention calling Gon a typical shonen protag is so hilariously off the mark as is your summation of his character. Please high light where his power boils down to "believing in himself".

MKIL65

I know it might seem like a generic thing, but there's a lot of kids that get neglected by their father.

His power is believing in himself

He's a confident person, that's true. But
that confidence get's him almost killed multiple times. And it doesn't help him win any fights either.

Naively friendly

He grew up in a household with a kind woman and her mother. He was also surrounded by nature as a kid. It makes SENSE that he has a kind attitude.

TarNaru33

Banned
Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works

lol.... only if he is only in it for the action and good animation. The story is pretty bad. Zero is okay though. I say that as a person who likes that show.

Gotta love moving those goal posts. Not too mention calling Gon a typical shonen protag is so hilariously off the mark as is your summation of his character. Please high light where his power boils down to "believing in himself".

I think you are being too defensive... Gon really is a typical Shounen character until the Chimera arc and that is only after whatshisface died to Pitou. I liked the show, but lets not get too crazy lol. It is important to think why choose a child body over a younger less bulky version of herself? She isn't sexualized, but she still does classify as 1000 year old dragon that looks like a child lol.

Top Bottom