• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I have enjoyed Attack on Titan/My Hero Academia, what other anime’s should I watch?

Audioboxer

I'm watching Space Dandy and Hunter x Hunter just now. Almost finished Space Dandy, it's good fun! I'm like 26 episodes into Hunter x Hunter. Quite enjoying it!

RvfKoi8.gif

is bad ass.

For OP, watch FMA, its movie and then watch FMAB. I did it this way a few months back, and FMA makes FMAB better if you ask me. You're not going to do it the other way around (Brotherhood first).

Steins;Gate was my favourite anime, but I think FMA has pipped it. From the New World is up there for me too, but probably not what you are looking for OP. Go with Fullmetal Alchemist. I haven't seen anywhere near as much anime as the average GAFer has though.

edit: I might through it out there, but GitS stand alone complex is far better than Psycho Pass. I actually found Psycho Pass lacking, minus a few episodes.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I think you are being too defensive... Gon really is a typical Shounen character until the Chimera arc and that is only after whatshisface died to Pitou. I liked the show, but lets not get too crazy lol. It is important to think why choose a child body over a younger less bulky version of herself? She isn't sexualized, but she still does classify as 1000 year old dragon that looks like a child lol.

The 1000 year old dragon thing is because it was an excuse to defend certain loli characters, that's the whole point of it. It was a sad defense of sexualized little girl characters in anime.

Gon starts off as pretty generic but his character growth is what sets him apart and that starts well before "that" moment with Pitou.

Ascheroth

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Hunter x Hunter
One Punch Man
Mob Psycho 100
Blame! (Movie)
JoJo
Gurren Lagann
Code Geass
Kuromukuro
ID-0
Rage of Bahamut: Genesis and the sequel Virgin Soul
Fate/Zero
Thunderbolt Fantasy
Majin Bone
Danball Senki
Gundam Build Fighters
Blast of Tempest
Ushio and Tora

are all action-y shows I can recommend.

I'm watching Space Dandy and Hunter x Hunter just now. Almost finished Space Dandy, it's good fun! I'm like 26 episodes into Hunter x Hunter. Quite enjoying it!

RvfKoi8.gif

is bad ass.

For OP, watch FMA, its movie and then watch FMAB. I did it this way a few months back, and FMA makes FMAB better if you ask me. You're not going to do it the other way around (Brotherhood first).

Steins;Gate was my favourite anime, but I think FMA has pipped it. From the New World is up there for me too, but probably not what you are looking for OP. Go with Fullmetal Alchemist. I haven't seen anywhere near as much anime as the average GAFer has though.

edit: I might through it out there, but GitS stand alone complex is far better than Psycho Pass. I actually found Psycho Pass lacking, minus a few episodes.
I agree watch Full Metal Alchemist and the Conquerer of Shambala movie BEFORE FMA: Brotherhood. You get two series for the price of one

GITS: Stand Alone Complex is classic. Makes other cyberpunk shows look weak. With the exception of the Legendary Akira

TarNaru33

Banned
The 1000 year old dragon thing is because it was an excuse to defend certain loli characters, that's the whole point of it. It was a sad defense of sexualized little girl characters in anime.

Gon starts off as pretty generic but his character growth is what sets him apart and that starts well before "that" moment with Pitou.

Good point. You are right on the bold.

I personally felt he was generic all the way until the Pitou issue. We will have to agree to disagree there, but the show is definitely good.

The Hunter exam, York New City, and Chimera arc are great, the rest, not so much.

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood is a show that everyone kinda likes. I'm not even a big fan although I always recommend it in most anime threads but that's cause it's such a easy watch. It's fun, adventurous and well animated.

You would probably like most shounen series. Watch Naruto (just skip the fillers) for instance.

And watch Ippo.

Bluemongoose

Neo Member
Everything I like has been mentioned ad nauseam and I'm going to list short, easy watches: Vampire Hunter D (original and sequel), ROD (Read or Die) movie (tv show was meh), Street Fighter movie (not alpha or any of the spinoffs). Now if you like romance there's His and Her Circumstances. The opening and ending theme songs are bloody contagious.

VeeP

Do you need to watch any previous Gundam series for this? I've seen some of the older stuff but I haven't seen any of the more modern Gundam series.

Nope. You don't need too. A lot of the Gundam series are self-contained for the most part. Iron Blooded Orphans is set in its own universe with it's own cast, etc.

Basically imagine Final Fantasy as a franchise, Gundam is the same. Final Fantasy 7 and 8 aren't related, but then you have occasional series like FF13 that have sequels (I'm looking at you Gundam Seed & Seed Destiny).

Edit: I completely forgot to recommend One Punch Man! OP, watch that one next. Animation is amazing, story is fun, has a cool cast, and there's a lot to like.

mid83

Thanks for all the suggestions

I’m still finishing up Attack on Titan, but then I think I’ll knock out Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood (unfortunately I can’t find a legal way to watch Fullmetal Alchemist) and then One Punch Man after that.

Any other recommendations will get added to the list. Thanks again GAF!

cj_iwakura

Thanks for all the suggestions

I’m still finishing up Attack on Titan, but then I think I’ll knock out Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood (unfortunately I can’t find a legal way to watch Fullmetal Alchemist) and then One Punch Man after that.

Any other recommendations will get added to the list. Thanks again GAF!
Dont forget Fate/Zero.

mid83

Dont forget Fate/Zero.

Oh it’s on my list. I pretty much took every suggestion on this thread and dropped them into a spreadsheet.

I did have a question on viewing order. I looked up Fate/Zero and I’m a little confused in terms of the viewing order of Fate/Stay night, Fate/Stay night Unlimited Blade Works and Fate/Zero.

cj_iwakura

Oh it’s on my list. I pretty much took every suggestion on this thread and dropped them into a spreadsheet.

I did have a question on viewing order. I looked up Fate/Zero and I’m a little confused in terms of the viewing order of Fate/Stay night, Fate/Stay night Unlimited Blade Works and Fate/Zero.
Zero is a prequel. After that it gets dicey. FSN is one route, UBW is another.

I'd like to seperate these for you just so you know what you're getting into.

Long-Running Anime:

One Piece - I can't recommend this enough. The world of One Piece is colorful and lively. It's full of characters that don't look like the ones in other anime. The early arcs are some of my favorite and the later arcs are just as good. It's the manga/anime that just keeps on giving. With that being said, the manga is much better than the anime when it comes to a certain point in One Piece, so I highly recommend looking into it.

Hunter x Hunter - a great take on action anime. The characters are hilarious, and the villains are some of the most interesting compared to the other anime I have watched.

Dragon Ball - if you like action anime, DB is a given. It's much more grounded than Dragon Ball Z and the story and characters are much more relevant in DB. Everyone actually plays a role, and young Goku is just one of the best characters ever created.

Short Running Anime:

Code Geass and Death Note - because the main character isn't always the good guy. Plus they are phenomenal anime in their own rights. The second half of Death Note does take a plummet but the first half warrants the watch.

Cowboy Bebop - IT IS THE GOAT. Literally. Just watch.

Trigun - because once you meet Wolfwood you'll understand why. Plus, Legato is one of the most sinister villains in all of fiction.

Escaflowne - because sometimes you just gotta watch a classic anime.

BONUS ROUND: watch Akira and Ninja Scroll. They are movies but they are the best anime films you will ever watch.

Top Bottom