• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(I Have To brag): I now have been owned 113 times by Nintendo!

YYZ said:
Worf_is_Frustrated.gif
yup

The hate in this thread is ridiculous. If that's how he wants to spend his money, awesome. He's buying classic games and he seems to enjoy them, who the hell cares?

Jiggy

DjangoReinhardt said:
This is blatant viral marketing.
Couldn't possibly be. For whatever reason, Nintendo refuses to advertise Virtual Console in the slightest. :(
Unless it's unpaid viral marketing. I guess that's a possibility.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
AndoCalrissian said:
The hate in this thread is ridiculous. If that's how he wants to spend his money, awesome. He's buying classic games and he seems to enjoy them, who the hell cares?

"Not Happy!"
scrooge.jpg

Sorry, I really love all of Scrooge McDuck comics and cartoons and I found it a bit funny: to see your post next to your Scrooge avatar, that's all :) (no offense intended).

Tain

drohne said:
i'm going to fire up my xbox and play contra hardcorps. on a saturn pad. upscaled to 720p and slightly widescreen, in keeping with the genny's 320x224 resolution. this is living.

i'm gonna fire up my arcadevga-equipped PC wired to a 27'' RGB monitor and play it with a hori stick.

what now

Hellraizah

schild said:
OP is part of the problem confirmed.
If Nintendo came out with a "Virtual Console" (basically, a console only meant to be able to download classic games from the Virtual Console database) without any other options, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

You want the real problem, it's the people that buy the real Wii games. They are showing support of an imprecise and inferior control mechanism. Think about this, next time you play a Wii game where your motions register 4 times out of 5, would you like to be in a pro competition with that kind of control. If that's evolution, I'll stick to the classic.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Screw the haters. I, for one, salute you and envy you. My wife thinks I'm crazy for buying as many as I have, but seeing how much time I spend playing them has shut her up.

My paltry collection:

The Legend of Zelda
Super Star Soldier
Contra III: The Alien Wars
Super Mario Bros.
Streets of Rage
Beyond Oasis
Dragon's Curse
Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream
Bonk's Revenge
Wonder Boy in Monster World
Battle Lode Runner
The Legend of the Mystical Ninja
Streets of Rage 2
Zelda II - The Adventure of Link
Super Mario Bros. 2
Galaga '90

I'm not sure if advocating piracy is all that great of an idea either.

Hell I don't even know why this is a big deal anymore. Every other thread in this and any other forum is about people buying a bunch of videogame stuff anyway. Somebody scoffs at a guy buying over 100 VC games then next week he posts pictures of all the FF7 posters he bought and the Gunblade replica with the Lionheart keychain made out of real Lion.

Scrubking

AndoCalrissian said:

Who should care? All of us.

People like the OP are sending N the message that we like to pay insanely high prices for 10 year old games - many of which aren't emulated properly - that you'll have to rebuy in a couple of years.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Tain said:
i'm gonna fire up my arcadevga-equipped PC wired to a 27'' RGB monitor and play it with a hori stick.

what now

i don't share your preference for authentic low res crt monitors, but i can respect it. there are lots of respectable ways to play classic games. spending $800 on wii virtual console is not one of them. even if you want to play classic games and pad nintendo's bank balance, you'd be better off using open emulators and mailing nintendo an envelope full of cash. they'd probably accept it. they're nintendo.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
drohne said:
i don't share your preference for authentic low res crt monitors, but i can respect it. there are lots of respectable ways to play classic games. spending $800 on wii virtual console is not one of them. even if you want to play classic games and pad nintendo's bank balance, you'd be better off using open emulators and mailing nintendo an envelope full of cash. they'd probably accept it. they're nintendo.
:lol

Tain

i don't share your preference for authentic low res crt monitors, but i respect it. there are lots of respectable ways to play classic games. spending $800 on wii virtual console is not one of them.

The thing is, I have the setup, but I'm not one of those crazy-demanding people (recap) about it. A friend of mine outright gave two of these monitors to me (!!), so there's no way I'd avoid taking advantage of them. I'm pretty happy with an upscaled and filtered image as long as there's some prescaling in place.

Jiggy

Scrubking said:
People like the OP are sending N the message that we like to pay insanely high prices for 10 year old games
New games (Wii games, mind you) cost five times the highest of these "insanely high" VC prices, and seven times the median of a VC game. I don't think it should be a controversial thing to suggest that most new games are not 5-7 times as much fun as good games of the past.
...Of course, the OP isn't focusing on good games so much as buying practically everything in sight, but I'm just contending that your blanket argument, implicitly brushing games aside because of age, doesn't work.

Narag

Scrubking said:
Who should care? All of us.

People like the OP are sending N the message that we like to pay insanely high prices for 10 year old games - many of which aren't emulated properly - that you'll have to rebuy in a couple of years.

I'd be more concerned about people sending the message to MS and Sony that'll they buy whatever shit comes down the line for $59.99 just to have something new to play.

I still want Tenchu Z :(

Scrubking

Jiggy37 said:
New games (Wii games, mind you) cost five times the highest of these "insanely high" VC prices, and seven times the median of a VC game. I don't think it should be a controversial thing to suggest that most new games are not 5-7 times as much fun as good games of the past.
...Of course, the OP isn't focusing on good games so much as buying practically everything in sight, but I'm just contending that your blanket argument, implicitly brushing games aside because of age, doesn't work.

Fun is subjective. Technology, emulation quality and ownership rights are not.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
at least for the next week and half, no system has delivered something for me in ages. you're right--there's not much to play anywhere

Scrubking

davepoobond said:
you don't "own" virtual console games either. you "license" them.

I never said you did. In fact I meant the opposite.

Nintendo can't take away my disc games. They CAN (and most likely eventually will), take away your VC games.

gwiz210

And I thought my SMB, Kirby's Adventure, Wario Woods, F-Zero, LoZ:LTTP, Ristar, SM64, Mario Kart 64, Starfox 64, F-Zero X, OoT and WaveRace 64 VC collection was big :lol

MercuryLS

Banned
I don't like to criticize people on what they choose to spend their money on, but $750 on VC games is just plain stupid.

I was going to say that at least you have all those games in one convenient place, but the Wii won't hold all that at once. So let the laughter commence.

Top Bottom