• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just had a terrible experience with GameStop

To be honest I just felt like ranting because I felt that GameStop terribly managed one of their recent trade-in promotions. Here there was word that starting on the 26th April they will have a trade-in deal consisting of giving away your PS4 + two games and you get a PS4 Pro for 99€. I felt this was a great deal for me because my PS4 is constantly full and spending 60€ on a new HDD is not much of a difference.

The promotion was know since yesterday so I ended up calling five! stores in my local area and none of them picked up over the course of three hours. I thought okay whatever and after I called them again today I went to one of the stores today which left me quite sour. Apparently they sold all of their current and future allocation already today despite the promotion starting tomorrow. I asked why the didn't pick up the phone and they said: "The battery is dead." which can happen but still it should not happen, not with five stores.

Well alright I thought and went to the second store in town, here essentially I was told the same thing but they also said they will receive 20 units tomorrow which will be sold on a first-come, first-serve basis and that they cannot accept a payment today to guarantee one tomorrow so he told me to show up at 9am and he'll see what he can do. That's all fair game with such a promotion and I'm not upset over that although I am with what the guy told me on my follow-up question. I suffer from a visible disability that impairs me walking and doing many physical things, I didn't ask him for any preferred or extra treatment though. All I asked is if I could show up tomorrow morning without my PS4 at first, stand in the line like everybody else and see if I can get one, then if I can get one, just pay the 99€ first and then leave, bringing my PS4 around later in the afternoon when someone can drive me by car. Because hurling my PS4 around all by myself when I'm not sure if I even can make use of the promotion would be quite exhausting and hard for me. He basically simply said: "Look I can totally understand you but I can't do that, the system won't allow me to do that. If you give me the 99€ you have to hand me over your PS4 at the same time and nothing can change that." At this point I didn't even argue and said alright, thanked him for his time and left saying I will see if I show up tomorrow then.

What upsets me with this is basically, apparently they can override their almighty system and sell PS4 Pro's earlier with the promotion already despite it only starting tomorrow but somehow the system throws a fit if I stand in line, pay money, leave my money there for them already and want to bring my PS4 in later when I can get a little help? Yeah no, thank you GameStop I might just go and buy a HDD instead. Yeah I'm upset over this and after all I read here on GAF I'm really not surprised. I don't really shop at GameStop either unless they have a good deal going on, but yeah.

EDIT: Okay, to clarify, I did NOT expect to walk out with a PS4 Pro after paying the 99€. All I asked for is giving them 99€ after standing in line tomorrow if they still have available stock and then leave with nothing, then come back later with my PS4 and then get the PS4 Pro.

EDIT 2: Alright reading all the comments I might have been unreasonable here after all after thinking things through, seeing it from GameStop's point their stance seems valid.

TechJunk

Honestly if it's a trade in promotion, I'd be surprised if any store let you take the PS4 Pro after only paying $99, then allowing you to just bring it in later in the day when someone can drive you.
Sucks for you, ya, maybe just get someone to come along with you in the morning?

When I worked at GS 15 or so years ago we didn't answer the phone because we were literally being badgered by 12 year olds constantly about various games. It was never ending.

It is Gamestop, but I imagine if you just do what the guy says and show up tomorrow (maybe even a little before 9 AM) with your PS4 I wouldn't think you'd have a problem getting one. It's not going to fly off the shelves like a Switch or something. If they try to screw you over at that point you could start flipping magazine racks.

So you want them to give you the ps4 pro for $99, then just hope you come back later with your PS4 for trade in? Seriously?

I think you are being unreasonable OP.

Often times with promotions like this the computer handles everything, so there may literally not be a way to do what you asked for systematically

At the same time I totally understand why they would be wary about parting with a PS4 Pro for $99 on the hopes you come back to complete the trade. For them that's a big gamble

So you are upset because they started the promotion early and you didn't bring your PS4 and he wouldn't 'reserve' it for you, even hand you the Pro? I don't really think that makes them terrible.

A ps4 is like 6 pounds

Put it in a bag and see what happens

There's no way it would make sense to a business to let you begin the transaction like that and come back later to finish it

If something happens to you or your ps4 on your way back, they're stuck.

Justified

So you wanted the Worker to give you a Pro for the Promotion price and your word?

I see nothing wrong with what they did. Thats a scam waiting to happen if it was allowed

So you want them to give you the ps4 pro for $99, then just hope you come back later with your PS4 for trade in? Seriously?

I think you are being unreasonable OP.

I think OP was hoping he could pay for the PS4 Pro, they would set it aside, and he could come back and get it later that day.

I don't think that's terribly unreasonable to ask, but maybe OP shouldn't get angry that the system is as arbitrary as it is.

The computer has no compassion.

Lkr

I feel more justified in my outrage that my GameStop didn't get PPT in stock today after I preordered it months ago after reading this

Honestly if it's a trade in promotion, I'd be surprised if any store let you take the PS4 Pro after only paying $99, then allowing you to just bring it in later in the day when someone can drive you.
Sucks for you, ya, maybe just get someone to come along with you in the morning?

It doesn't seem unreasonable for them to want your PS4 in order to complete the promotion.

The guy did what he's supposed to do. I don't see the problem here.

Okay to clarify, I didn't expect to walk out with a PS4 Pro after paying the 99€. I was merely asking him if I could pay the 99€ after standing in line and then just leave with nothing. Then come back later with my PS4 and then get the PS4 Pro. If I have troubles coming in with a PS4 by myself, I will obviously have trouble leaving with a PS4 Pro by myself too :p

133015.gif

Palocca

Honestly, it sounds like you were being unreasonable. I've never heard of any big retailer doing a favor like the one you asked for. MAYBE if you knew someone working there, but even that's a slim chance.

Do you have a credit card? If you did, you could buy the Pro, "return it", do the trade-in, and then repurchase.

I am pretty sure the register won't even apply the promotion until a trade in is completed.

It won't. He would have to manually discount the system which would flag loss prevention, which would flag their District Manager.

It would be big trouble for them to do that. Probably even losing their job.

That's not how I read it. He wants to give them $99 to basically reserve his spot in line, and then come back later with the actual PS4 and games, which he'll trade in exchange for the PS4 Pro.

That doesn't seem unreasonable to me at all, since worst case scenario for Gamestop, he never shows up again and they got his $99 without giving anything in exchange.

Firehead

Okay to clarify, I didn't expect to walk out with a PS4 Pro after paying the 99€. I was merely asking him if I could pay the 99€ after standing in line and then just leave with nothing. Then come back later with my PS4 and then get the PS4 Pro. If I have troubles coming in with a PS4 by myself, I will obviously have trouble leaving with a PS4 Pro by myself too :p

Still, you're asking them to wait around for a potential sell from you. Why should they accept your €99 to reserve the spot and wait for you, when they can get a guarantee sell from a customer that's been waiting in line for the same thing? I know GameStop's a shit business, but there's nothing unreasonable or wrong with their decision here.

Marcel

GameStop is fairly terrible but not because you tried to be unreasonable and fussy with the employee. Regardless of your situation not having the item for a trade-in means you don't get the promotion.

Retail promotions don't function on the honor system. Having worked many retail jobs in my life I wouldn't have granted you an exception either.

Raptor

He wanted to pay for it and then go with the ps4 to get the new already payed one.

Not unreasanable thing to ask and if that worker was more comprehensible or "cool" he would have agreed to it, if shit happens he still have the 99.

I think OP was hoping he could pay for the PS4 Pro, they would set it aside, and he could come back and get it later that day.

I don't think that's terribly unreasonable to ask, but maybe OP shouldn't get angry that the system is as arbitrary as it is.

The computer has no compassion.

No. Pay 99. Then swap ps4s. The 99 would just be like a Preorder deposit.

Exactly! The only thing I'm upset about is, that if their system is so rigid it shouldn't have allowed any PS4 Pro's to be sold before tomorrow in the first place.

Still, you're asking them to wait around for a potential sell from you. Why should they accept your €99 to reserve the spot and wait for you, when they can get a guarantee sell from a customer that's been waiting in line for the same thing? I know GameStop's a shit business, but there's nothing unreasonable or wrong with their decision here.

Alright I can see it that way, from this perspective it's fair I guess, business is business yeah.

Firehead

Exactly! The only thing I'm upset about is, that if their system is so rigid it shouldn't have allowed any PS4 Pro's to be sold before tomorrow in the first place.

And risk losing customers potentially buying it at full price before their promotion? That's just not a smart business decision. I don't think any business does this.

Liamc723

He wanted to pay for it and then go with the ps4 to get the new already payed one.

Not unreasanable thing to ask and if that worker was more comprehensible or "cool" he would have agreed to it, if shit happens he still have the 99.

No, he wouldn't have.

Have the people who are saying the GameStop employee was unreasonable ever worked in retail?

I didn't ask him for any preferred or extra treatment though. All I asked is if I could show up tomorrow morning without my PS4 at first, stand in the line like everybody else and see if I can get one, then if I can get one, just pay the 99€ first and then leave, bringing my PS4 around later in the afternoon.

im afraid you contradicted yourself, you did ask for extra treatment, also if any employee did this for you they could be fired.

i understand your situation but from a business standpoint this isnt a logical thing for a employee to do, you should not of expected them to do this either, if you didnt return although im sure you would have, the guy would be in trouble.

DocSeuss

Sorry, what's the terrible experience here? It sounds like you want some retail guys to break the rules of the promotion for you? That sounds like a you problem, not a Gamestop problem.

weshes195

No. Pay 99. Then swap ps4s. The 99 would just be like a Preorder deposit.

Wait wait wait. Are you serious? Let me get this straight: You went to a business, knowing that the deal you wish to make was a trade which by definition is TRADING something, and you then got upset that they wouldn't accept...a pre-order?

Nah, nah. I have had some bad experiences with Gamestop, but I don't see where your logic goes at all. Why would he accept that? You could just walk out and never drop by with your PS4. And even if you did, that employee could have gotten in trouble since, you know, what you said makes little to no sense.

Now, what you SHOULD have done is offer to pay full price for the PS4 Pro, come back with the PS4, then receive payment of the difference of the deal. Not saying they would have accepted that as, again, kind of sketchy, but at least they don't risk losing money.

But the system would most likely need your PS4 serial number in order to complete the transaction.

More importantly, why should the retailer go through all of what you are asking?

It's a first come, first serve deal man. You can't expect them to break the rules just for you.

Put yourself in the shoes of the guy in line behind you that has everything he needs with him. If they sell out by the time he reaches the counter yet the employees were basically taking money to hold consoles for those who weren't fully prepared for the transaction, you would be on this forum slamming GameStop for that instead.

I'm sorry the promotion will make things difficult for you but at the same time you have to play fair just like everyone else.

THIS. OP, you are asking for an absurd amount of special treatment in my opinion. No retailer would do this for you, unless you had a great relationship with them..

Hazmat

Man, I can hear those exact voices acting this out in my head.

And this GameStop employee did nothing wrong. They're pretty limited in what they're able to do, and this guy isn't going to take responsibility for €99 and wait around wondering if you'll come back, guarding the last Pro for you. Sucks, but you've got to be there ready to go when the stock is in.

FaintDeftone

It's a first come, first serve deal man. You can't expect them to break the rules just for you.

Put yourself in the shoes of the guy in line behind you that has everything he needs with him. If they sell out by the time he reaches the counter yet the employees were basically taking money to hold consoles for those who weren't fully prepared for the transaction, you would be on this forum slamming GameStop for that instead.

I'm sorry the promotion will make things difficult for you but at the same time you have to play fair just like everyone else.

I have to say that it would have been surprising if the Gamestop employee had actually done what you asked. They can't accept trade-ins until they've been inspected. I believe they even need serial numbers to enter into the system.

Unfortunate but sounds like standard procedure to me.

Sai-kun

Banned
lmfao my manager would have had my head if i let someone walk out with a ps4 pro without giving us their system at the same time.

are you fuckin nuts? hahaha

edit: oh i see what was supposed to happen. still lmfao.

And risk losing customers potentially buying it at full price before their promotion? That's just not a smart business decision. I don't think any business does this.

I'm sorry I meant to say "They shouldn't have allowed the promotion to be taken advantage of before tomorrow." I didn't meant to say that they shouldn't have sold any PS4 Pro's, my bad.

Basically from my point of view GameStop was in a Win-Win situation here:

If I don't show up they still have a PS4 Pro they can still sell to another customer AND my 99€ and if do show up they completed a regular trade.

Marcel

I'm sorry I meant to say "They shouldn't have allowed the promotion to be taken advantage of before tomorrow." I didn't meant to say that they shouldn't have sold any PS4 Pro's, my bad.

If I don't show up they still have a PS4 Pro they can still sell to another customer AND my 99€ and if do show up they completed a regular trade.

If you unable to follow the very basic inventory procedures/etiquette of retail transactions and promotions then maybe those other people actually deserve the system more than you do, sorry.

That's just not how it works man. Gamestop just isn't going to take $100 and call that a win. That's a conversation with the DM on why at the end of the night they were $100 over in their nightly deposit. That needs explaining. Everything has to add up.

Top Bottom