• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just had a terrible experience with GameStop

Ennosuke

I have my PS4 pro now and it feels like a really good deal to me, but to be honest it was sort of exhausting to get one. Lots of incorrect information and uncertainty, which was driving me crazy.

slammer

So, if anyone is planning to trade in his PS4 for the Pro, be quick, as GameStop Germany now shortened the time of the deal by two weeks to April 30th due to too much demand. So you only have tomorrow and the 29th to order a Pro, after that it's done.
This is such a collossal failure. I cannot even comprehend how much of a debacle this has been. And I'm extra angry now, because I planned to upgrade to the Pro in mid-May shortly before the deal ends, BECAUSE I GET MY FUCKING MONEY AROUND THAT TIME.

FUCK

You wouldn't have gotten a PS4 mid-May. Until yesterday no Gamestop took any reservations anymore, they said that there is no stock left. Because of this many people complained, so GS finally caved in and guaranteed everyone who comes in today or tomorrow to reserve a PS4 Pro. Which is actually quite cool so you don't have to fight for a console. I will gladly trade in my Release PS4.

So with the updated situation I was able to pre-order a PS4 Pro today and am guaranteed I get mine sometime before June. That's perfectly fine and okay with me and it's funny that GameStop did what I proposed a few posts ago. :) Seriously the way it is now should have been how the whole promotion should have been handled in the first place, but better late than never. This way everybody has a chance and there's no fighting over stock. Even if you have to wait for a month, this deal is still great.

The only sad thing is that I likely will have to part with my pristine white DS4 as I doubt GameStop will take my black launch DS4 with the rubber issue but oh well beggars can't be choosers :p

So, if anyone is planning to trade in his PS4 for the Pro, be quick, as GameStop Germany now shortened the time of the deal by two weeks to April 30th due to too much demand. So you only have tomorrow and the 29th to order a Pro, after that it's done.
This is such a collossal failure. I cannot even comprehend how much of a debacle this has been. And I'm extra angry now, because I planned to upgrade to the Pro in mid-May shortly before the deal ends, BECAUSE I GET MY FUCKING MONEY AROUND THAT TIME.

FUCK

Just pre-order one today or tomorrow for 30€, with the way stock is going around you will get it by the end of May anyway and only then have to pay the additional 69€.

Screw that, me and my buddies paid the employee 10 bucks to put us on a first-to-be-called list when reservations are open again.

Better get that call before 30th April.

Reservations are open today and tomorrow!

Can see why Gamestop wouldn't be able to help, but the OP's request wasn't unreasonable either. OP, are you in a country with a CEX? You could trade in your PS4 and a couple of games there for a PS4 Pro, it would cost more than 99 euro but should still be reasonable.

Spot on.

Thanks for the kind words and trying to help :) Sadly Germany has no CEX I believe but either way it's all been resolved in the end.

I honestly don't care if you believe me or not. I worked there for 7 years of hell. I was a training manager so I trained all of the new managers in our district.

Not every customer is trying to rip you off. That is a lesson you have to learn if you want to be a manager in retail. The ultimate goal is to build a client base so people want to continue to shop at your store.

If the person doesn't show up the next day, you call them since you have their information from the trade. You inform them that you can't hold the system forever and that you need to know when they are coming in and if they don't come in on that day then you can't guarantee the system for them. All they have is store credit. You already have their original PS4 so it's not really a big deal. They will have to use that credit at one of your stores anyways.

To be honest, GameStop would probably rather have them spend it on something other than a system since there is hardly any margin in system sales.

GameStop doesn't discount the cost of the system when you do these special trade in promos, they bump up the trade values. The employee can override these values if necessary. So when you bring your PS4 in, they would just override the trade value to the higher value for the promo.

Ah I get it now, very interesting to know. Honestly from what you write I understand the system way better now. Though I also get that GameStop can't make too much money off this promotion unless they can sell all the used PS4's easily.

I have my PS4 pro now and it feels like a really good deal to me, but to be honest it was sort of exhausting to get one. Lots of incorrect information and uncertainty, which was driving me crazy.

Congratz! :D Yeah it was a mess, hopefully GameStop and Sony learned from this.

133015.gif
LMAO

So I was just at my local GameStop and they now have a security guard at the entrance, I guess there's been problems with people grabbing the collectible junk and running out the door... LOL

I wonder if hiring an employee completely unrelated to aiding costumers buy used games and pre-orders really helps their bottom line..

I got my Pro now, no problems at all during the trade and they gave me four hours to arrange a pick-up, that was more than enough for me :)

get a backpack put your ps4 in it and set it down whenever your not having to move man. It isn't that hard.

I can understand you need extra help etc and that is all fine but no store in the world is going to give you something and let you bring something back later. If they know you, if you know them well and they legit turst you it's a different story.

get a backpack put your ps4 in it and set it down whenever your not having to move man. It isn't that hard.

I can understand you need extra help etc and that is all fine but no store in the world is going to give you something and let you bring something back later. If they know you, if you know them well and they legit turst you it's a different story.

You didn't even READ THE LATEST POST.

Glad you got your pro, OP, and that you came to a proper understanding.

Thank you! :) I'm a bit sad I had to part with my White DS4 as they wouldn't take my original DS4 due to the crumbly-stick issue but ah well I can always rebuy one. And technically I only traded in one game, I gave them MGS V Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain and I forgot that I got Ground Zeroes digitally from PS+ so I have it still and Phantom Pain I can get for cheap in the next Steam Sale :p

Glad to hear you got your PS4!

Congrats OP

Thanks to both of you too :)

The deal went through! Wow that is awesome OP. I hope you enjoy it as it is a really neat system.

Thank you, it did! :) And yeah I'm happy enough that I have 400gb more now and can finally use my PS4 normally again without having to space-juggle each time I turn it on. Plus 1080p 60fps in Nioh, FFXV and other games are a nice bonus.

Is Gamestop one of the worst companies to work for in America? How much do they pay an hour to start? My local store never holds one employee for more than 3 months. Every time I go there there is a new guy or girl working behind the counter. Last time the girl was trying to print me a Switch list of upcoming new games, as we were in the 90's and there was no interncet around to find this info. I felt bad and said yes and she printed out all excited asking if I wanted to pre order something..lol

You didn't even READ THE LATEST POST.

Doesn't change what I said as to what he had said and thought, things change I get that. He can and still should use a backpack for things as most should (especially laptops etc)

Don't see much point in buying a laptop bag and I can understand his issues, I have issues with it too but people aren't really that willing to help others at times so you just gotta deal

I am not going to read through 4 pages and every post to every thread here (as most don't and there is no issue there) and his post likely wasn't there in the time I hit reply, got up did random things and put my post up (... not a big deal anyways)

PS4's are a bit on the heavy side so that is why you need to take it off your back when you can, leaving it there for hours can cause some pain for sure if you aren't overly active or use to it.

Cool, he got it and I knew that of course after I posted. Most posts go off on a meaningless situation often and I do usually try to avoid that and stay up to date but every now and then I miss it and only have half of my post where it needs to be. But the idea that a store will allow you to come bring something in later to trade just makes no logical sense and I just wanted to make that clear is all. You obviously have to let them look at it and test it in most cases before they even agree to the trade, so I don't know how he thought it would work to begin with.

gogosox82

I don't see the issue. It was a promotion and he could get fired especially since this is a popular promotion and its fucking Gamestop where they fire you for anything basically.

Top Bottom