• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I kind of want to work at Gamestop. Tell me what awaits me.

Okay, real talk, it completely pisses me off that store employees gain or lose points based on preorders or cancels. I can see incentivizing pre-orders, but it's completely fucking stupid that if a person comes in and preorders 10 games with Employee A, then comes in the next day after he got fired and cancels 9 of those with Employee B, Employee B gets fucked up the ass for it. That makes NO FUCKING SENSE.

sure

but if you want to get an asshole fired.....

great great tool

mankoto

wow

that is ridiculously shameful

sorry you had to work in that kind of situation.
You should see what a bathroom looks like during the Holidays. Mind you this was taken on December 31st during closing so this isn't an accurate representation in itself. At one point, you couldn't even walk in.

JDtsRKx.jpg

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Retail sucks.
But it is more enjoyable if you know and like what you are selling.

Metaledgeking

Neo Member
Hell I work for GS and its bullshit. I barely get any hours and I have no interest in moving up because I see the shit that higher ups get not to mention my new boss is pretty much a cunt. This was meant to be a side job but nonsense happened at my main job so I am stuck with this till I find new work which I am searching for with a passion. Its not worth it even with the rentals and discounts.

After talking with a few friends who worked at Gamestop, I hope your fine with working 8 hours every two weeks. Sadly, he did it for the discounts which didn't add up to much.

I think the experience working at a gamestop would be fun.
Talk about what i love and give some unbiased information.....actual info when asked.
Dunno how many times i walk in their and hear garbage comin out they're mouths.

Id work their for free. lol
Sure as hell wouldn't be for the money..

It's a sales job, not a chance for you to run a seminar on unbiased game facts. What most naive and young people don't understand is that, like every other retail company, it's all about number. Used sales, trade ins, pre orders, warranties..the list goes on. If you're lucky you can work with some great people, but it only makes the work itself tolerable at best.

Anyone who wants to work at EB/GameStop should just invest in a hammer and a nail. You don't have to go for an interview to nail your dick to a board and it's just as painful as working for the shit company.

poople

Neo Member
From the outside looking in I'd say trying to sell the crap out of that power up rewards card despite customers not wanting it.

its probably like any other retail job, don't expect to move up and just deal with it, although you can talk about games if you want

if you're in high school/college or need a summer job it could be worth it

Calibus

Gamestop is one of the most soul crushing retail jobs I've ever had.

Every day you will meet people who hate you.

There are the "GAF" people, who think you are the scum of the earth for selling them a game they want, regardless of the condition it is in.

The "neckbeards" who will try to argue with you for 2 hours over stupid shit you didn't even comment on.

The teenagers/tweens who think your minimum wage obligates you to clean up after them, and that they should be allowed to play mature rated games because of money.

The stoner dude who will spend 5 minutes trying to find the wallet he has in his left hand.

The naive submitting their resume for the umpteenth time, because they believe the rumor that we get to play all the new games we sell.

The mother who doesn't give a fuck what they buy their child. Then act offended when you remind them that a 10 year old shouldn't be playing GTAV.

The mother mad that you didn't warn them that GTAV was inappropriate for their child.

10 year olds that will tell you to shut the fuck up, or they'll get you fired if you don't sell them GTAV.

The person angry that his 2 year old, damaged game is only worth 5 dollars. Or that his 5 year old non functioning console is worthless.

Your next shift, you will likely get an email or phone call from your manager. They are mad you didn't sell enough warranties/consoles/member-cards/UPT or that your surveys/return/paperwork/trade-ins aren't as high as they need to be. Don't worry though, they 'fought for you' and you're still getting your 50 cent raise. Too bad the state mandated minimum wage increase is larger than your wage increase, so you'll be working minimum for another 12 months.

Oh, and you can't pick up your preorders first. Customers get priority on CEs/Consoles.

You know how rock stars said they felt after watching "This Is Spinal Tap?" Well that's exactly how I feel after reading this. Absolutely spot on.

Also those pics of products stacked to the ceiling in bathrooms brings back soooo many memories. GM: "You really need to get these items out on the floor." If we did that, no one could walk anywhere to purchase anything.

Malalaw

Profound sadness. It is a numbers game. Hours so bad that you have to compete for them and sith morale so low no one even bothers. Would have left by now but I like the people I work with.

bill0527

It's a sales job, not a chance for you to run a seminar on unbiased game facts. What most naive and young people don't understand is that, like every other retail company, it's all about number. Used sales, trade ins, pre orders, warranties..the list goes on. If you're lucky you can work with some great people, but it only makes the work itself tolerable at best.

Anyone who wants to work at EB/GameStop should just invest in a hammer and a nail. You don't have to go for an interview to nail your dick to a board and it's just as painful as working for the shit company.

Back in the late 90s when I worked retail, Best Buy was my favorite store. I loved CDs for 10 bucks, loved electronics, had just started getting into Windows PCs. I thought...damn I love all this shit so much why wouldn't I want to work here?

Christ...I was naive. Best Buy was singlehandedly the worst retail store, out of 5 different stores I had worked at. It was all about selling product service and replacement fans. Management didn't give two squirts of piss how much knowledge you had on what you were selling. They didn't give a squirt of runny diarrhea about customer satisfaction. All that mattered was...did you sell them an extended warranty? Promotions were given out to the dumbest mother fuckers working in the store, who would give customers factually incorrect info on a daily basis, but they got more replacement plan sales than you did, so they got promoted.

So I guess I'm saying...you can love the product...and love shopping at the store, but working there can sometimes be a complete nightmare. And in my case, it ruined Best Buy for me, for life.

Tigress

its probably like any other retail job, don't expect to move up and just deal with it, although you can talk about games if you want

if you're in high school/college or need a summer job it could be worth it

I've worked retail for a long time now.

And from descriptions on here, it sounds way worse than typical retail. But, as I said, probably about the level for jobs that they can get kids to want cause kids who don't know better think it sounds like a cool job. Hell, I worked in a store as a summer job in college kinda like Best Buy (Media Play) that was kinda sucky and it still was a lot better than what I hear of Gamestop (and Best Buy honestly). Though I really wasn't surprised when they went under. But yeah, my current store is a lot better to work for than Media Play (I actually worked at this place as my first summer job in college, now it was supposed to be a temp job til I got a better job and cause I suck at job searching I ended up stuck in it).

My job sounds a helluva lot more fun than this job. Hell, if it weren't for the fact I don't get enough hours and it doesn't pay enough, my job wouldn't be so bad (long as you like working with people. Some people really aren't cut out for retail but I can have a lot of patience and am good about biting my tongue especially as I hate confrontation, at least IRL ;), so I do fine in that respect). My managers are great, my co workers are great, our customers in general like our store and find it a fun place to be so in general are in a good mood, and while corporate can be dumb (They like the walmart model of hiring), they don't sound half as bad as what I hear about how Gamestop runs things.

Tigress

Whats wrong with retail?

Depends.
If you have good managers and good co-workers, the worst part is the customers who you only deal with for a short bit of time.

And really, customers also depend a lot on the store. A place that doesn't value good customer service is going to have angrier customers and not going to give you much ways to make them happy. And you're going to have to be the bad guy so they will take it out on you.

Places that value customer service tend to give you more power to try to make the customer happy. Granted sometimes that means you will have to do something for the customer that you think is completely unreasonable (I returned a six month old well used product the other day for example) or even do a return for some one you are pretty sure was a thief. But if you can get over that I'd say I'd rather work somewhere that focuses on good customer service than a place like Best Buy or Gamestop that focuses on just sell sell sell and try not to return too much money. Basically both of those though rely more on making big sales and less on customer loyalty where as our big spenders are the people who keep returning to us as we don't tend to rely on huge sales but on many smaller sales so my store wants to keep people happy with us.

But, in general, as a customer of Gamestop, I have had no problem with them and my local gamestop seems to be pretty friendly :). Sux some of the policies they have to put up with (one actually did encourage me to get a pre order and cancel it to get some promotion, I think she did it for me and did it all in one transaction. So I find they are very helpful and usually trying to find ways to game their system to help me out).

As someone who graduated from a university with 3 degrees, has worked professionally in IT and software for over 10 years, and never had a retail job when I was young, a few years ago I signed up as a holiday temporary employee at Gamestop. I mainly did it for the bit of extra Christmas money that I thought I'd make, but I also had a small hankering for the learning experience.

I will say that it was not the worst job I've ever had, as far as the actual workday experience (the hours and pay are another story). I honestly enjoyed most days there, as long as I wasn't scheduled alongside the one assistant manager who was loudly opinionated and an unhelpful jerk. The manager himself (who seemed to be there 24/7, bless his heart) was a great guy and enjoyable to work with.

In this type of job a positive attitude and a little patience goes a very long way, and as a result of showing both to customers I usually ended up having good experiences with them. Most were grateful to find someone who knew what they were talking about when it came to the games and systems and took the time to explain it to them. The customers (at least, the ones who didn't smell like they had just crawled out of a sewer) were honestly my favorite part of the job.

The worst parts of working there were the "strip searches" as I liked to call them. Every time you want to leave the store, whether it's for a break or the end of your shift, you have to get a coworker to watch you empty all your pockets and pull your pants legs up (at the foot) to show you're not stealing anything. This also includes jackets and purses when applicable. A log of these checks is kept and must be initialed by both stripper and observer every time. All coworkers busy at your break time or end of shift? Too bad, you have to wait until one is free to watch you. Absolutely awful, every time.

The other terrible part was the lack of scheduling and training for new employees. This was probably just a side effect of being temporary holiday help, but my very first scheduled shift there, without any training, was that year's Call of Duty midnight release. My second shift was 10 hours on Black Friday. Needless to say, coworkers were too busy to be helpful when I had questions or didn't know what to do.

I'm aware of the predominant internet opinion on employees "renting" new games, but looking at it from the employee side, it's quite literally the only reason to work there. I happily took full advantage of it the entire time I was on the payroll.

Oh, and the employee handbook is (or was) awesome. It's laid out and illustrated like an old-school videogame manual.

Top Bottom