• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I lost 100 pounds using the Wii-Fit.

Bravo OP! Keep it off for good!

I'm about 40-50 lbs overweight and I've let my Wii Fit Balance board gather dust. I'm picking it back up and was wondering if my current stats and progress will carry over to Wii Fit U. Or will I basically start over from scratch?

You won't regain your weight and waist size the first time you log in on wii u.
(I know what you meant, I hope you know what I'm getting at
the real achievement counts, not the ingame gold stars and bar filling
)

Yondy604

Banned
Thanks to you, I started using Wii fit plus and its awesome, but I´m still on the ropes.

I´m not overweight, but I don´t do any kind of excercises and this is great for me.

BTW, any of the wii fit users that knows a well routine to do everyday and use it??

I would be great to get some help in this kind of things since I´m a noob.

Honestly, I don't think you need an exact routine for the wii-fit, I think that if you play what ever you enjoy for a decent amount of time, it helps you stay active.

The key is to stay active and eat healthy.

Sometimes some people just need motivation, for people who are not overweight but want a bit more cardio while enjoying yourself, It's a nice solution.

Hubble

Congrats!! Keep it up!! Also don't feel limited to Wii Fit workouts. Try out the gym too or other fitness programs. Obviously, you don't have to but just a thought. I don't want you to feel you have to only use Wii Fit.

Nice work and congrats!

That's amazing! I've wanted to lose 10-20 pounds but thought it'd be too difficult to do. Your story really motivates me to accomplish at least this much. I've thought about getting a Wii U later when Bayonetta 2 comes out, and never even thought of picking up Wii Fit U at all. I guess I'll do that because I think my mom would appreciate it as well.

Thanks for sharing! I wish you nothing but good results for all your future endeavors. :)

smurfx

get some go again
hey op use another video site. stupid ad tried tricking me into installing a "firefox update". god knows what other kind of malware those ads are trying to install on peoples pc's.

RayMaker

Banned
Wii fit, kiinect fitness, nike fitness, MMA fitness game etc etc

seem like good things.

but if you want to get workouts for free just youtube something like ''MMA workout''
and google for more information about diet and exercise.

Hey OP have you lost anymore weight or put any more back on?
whats your current weight and fitness situation?

Yondy604

Banned
Wii fit, kiinect fitness, nike fitness, MMA fitness game etc etc

seem like good things.

but if you want to get workouts for free just youtube something like ''MMA workout''
and google for more information about diet and exercise.

Hey OP have you lost anymore weight or put any more back on?
whats your current weight and fitness situation?

I have not gained any weight since I made this thread, the first time I bumped I lost a ton, My most recent bump (as in a few min ago talking about the wii u) I lost another 4 or so pounds.

I am currently 15 pounds away from my total goal Since I made this thread roughly.

Honestly the comment's I got in this thread has been something else, I read it all the time. This community is one of the best, and it's funny what good it can bring.

As per my situation, Everything is going according to plan, I have been going to the gym a bit more while waiting on the WII-U fit, I plan to do both. The thinmg is I need to start building muscle now more then losing weight, so the Wii-fit already did the goal I had to do.

I still use it weekly, but not nearly as much when I was 300+

Mugatu

Congratulations!

Honestly I thought Dance Central was great cardio. I tried to use Wii Fit to keep my elderly mom active and it worked for quite a while then she stopped.

If I were to get an Xbox One with Kinect then it would only be for the fitness apps. You are obviously a great example that video games can help people in real life.

I wonder how well a balance board type accessory (or maybe a yoga mat with sensors in it) would work in conjunction with Kinect? I think it could possibly lead to a good fitness game.

Yondy604

Banned
Congratulations!

Honestly I thought Dance Central was great cardio. I tried to use Wii Fit to keep my elderly mom active and it worked for quite a while then she stopped.

If I were to get an Xbox One with Kinect then it would only be for the fitness apps. You are obviously a great example that video games can help people in real life.

I wonder how well a balance board type accessory (or maybe a yoga mat with sensors in it) would work in conjunction with Kinect? I think it could possibly lead to a good fitness game.

Honestly, I think the kinect 2.0 is going to have one incredible fitness game, and when it does come out, I will absolutely give it a shot.

But my first love will always be nintendo.

Spazznid

Really wish Dance Dance Revolution was still a thing.

So much fun, and so much excercise. Also, playing platformers with one is all sorts of fun/exhausting.

Really wish Dance Dance Revolution was still a thing.

So much fun, and so much excercise. Also, playing platformers with one is all sorts of fun/exhausting.

This so much!! I remember playing 3 hours daily when it was the shit and I love it!!

It´s not the same going to teh arcades and play it now u.u

RayMaker

Banned
I have not gained any weight since I made this thread, the first time I bumped I lost a ton, My most recent bump (as in a few min ago talking about the wii u) I lost another 4 or so pounds.

I am currently 15 pounds away from my total goal Since I made this thread roughly.

Honestly the comment's I got in this thread has been something else, I read it all the time. This community is one of the best, and it's funny what good it can bring.

As per my situation, Everything is going according to plan, I have been going to the gym a bit more while waiting on the WII-U fit, I plan to do both. The thinmg is I need to start building muscle now more then losing weight, so the Wii-fit already did the goal I had to do.

I still use it weekly, but not nearly as much when I was 300+

If you wanna build muscle I would recommend these guidelines

1. dont train till failure, say if you can do 10 bicep curls with a 10kg dumbell, and you find the 9th and 10th rep extremely hard, drop the weight down to 8kg and do 10 reps. So do reps for 80% of your max effort, instead of going all out.

2.warm up very well, getting the joints nice and loose, a light sweat on and to get blood into the muscle.

I could talk all day about exercise and diet but these 2 things, I think are the most important.

PM me if you wanna talk more about exercise and diet

Kemal86

Are there activities in Wii Fit that are for strength training? I don't need to lose weight (probably need to gain some actually) but could really stand to get a little muscle.

ReyBrujo

Okay, not very related to Wii Fit, but related to fitness, somehow. Google's Ingress actually makes people move around, so if you are trying to lose or maintain weight and find it troublesome, give it a try.

In order to have a healthier life, you need a constant flow of small healthier behaviours, for example, using the stairs instead of the escalator, or getting off the bus or the subway one stop earlier and walking the remaining distance. That's something Ingress excels at. While you can play it by doing your daily life, it encourages you to walk more, to spend more time outside.

Since they updated the application to track walking distance 20 days ago, I have walked 93 kms. That's 4.5 km per day in average! I used to use stationary bicycle at home to maintain my weight, but since I started playing Ingress back in January, I no longer needed to use it.

Of course, a game alone won't help unless you change some behaviours, so go to a physician and get some medical advice as well.

Yondy604

Banned
Okay, not very related to Wii Fit, but related to fitness, somehow. Google's Ingress actually makes people move around, so if you are trying to lose or maintain weight and find it troublesome, give it a try.

In order to have a healthier life, you need a constant flow of small healthier behaviours, for example, using the stairs instead of the escalator, or getting off the bus or the subway one stop earlier and walking the remaining distance. That's something Ingress excels at. While you can play it by doing your daily life, it encourages you to walk more, to spend more time outside.

Since they updated the application to track walking distance 20 days ago, I have walked 93 kms. That's 4.5 km per day in average! I used to use stationary bicycle at home to maintain my weight, but since I started playing Ingress back in January, I no longer needed to use it.

Of course, a game alone won't help unless you change some behaviours, so go to a physician and get some medical advice as well.

That is quite interesting

The_Monk

Proud of you fellow GAFfer, thank you very much for sharing your story in this fine Community. It's great to see how well Wii-Fit worked with you and it's great that you kept the motivation going, never stop.

Hope some people may find motivation in your story and start going for it too, keep it up and thanks again for sharing this, you can always count on GAF as a Community to keep delivering some good old motivation.

Joejoe123

Neo Member
Congrats on the weight loss.
I've lost quite a bit of weight myself over the past few years from counting calories and sporadic bouts of exercising, so I know how hard it can be to stick with something long enough to see results.
Especially if previously you lived a sedentary life style.

I think it's great that gaming and fitness are starting to come together with things like wii-fit and the various kinect fitness games. I'm really excited to see how the new kinect fitness program for the xbone works out. Things like the omni treadmill might also be a great way to play more traditional video games, but in a way that requires actual physical effort. Who knows maybe someday the stereotypical hardcore gamer will be lean and in shape.

Hey, congrats, man. I don't know how I've missed the thread all this time. Your story is really motivational. Keep it up. It's odd to feel proud of someone you don't know, but I am proud of you and happy for you.

I can't wait until Wii Fit U comes out so I can track my runs on it. The new fit meter is gonna be a game changer as far as I'm concerned.

Neff

After being a semi-cynic since the first Wii Fit released, I decided to give the Wii U version a try and... the damn thing works. It's fun, and you work up a decent sweat.

Even if it doesn't quite get the same result as a sustained, rigorous workout, the results are tangible, beneficial, and it's sure as hell more enjoyable running through a Super Mario-esque assault course than spending 30 minutes on an exercise bike in front of the tv. I'm in.

Picking up my Wii Fit-U tomorrow, Should be fun.

Anybody try it yet?

yup got it free with he fit meter.

i love how i dont have to swap the disc now

its a natural evolution of the series overall and while i am more interested in the daily measurements i do find the fit meter to be very well integrated in the whole package.

Yondy604

Banned
That's great to hear, Can't wait.

It's been a very long journey for me, right now I wanna have fun, but I also took a important of starting some heavy lifting, and focusing on muscle mass.

I hope 1 year from now, I will be able to show another pic with my results again, or at least let people know what went right and wrong haha.

I've been mainly using Wii Fit U as a supplemental tool to help me keep a healthy spine and torso musculature. As a result my back pain has decreased significantly, I'm tangibly more fit and have increased stamina considerably.

I also lost 5 kg in one month, but that's mainly the amount of excess weight I've put on due to depression last year alone and was easy to lose. Now I'm onto the next 10 kg to reach 80 kg or less.

Whatever helps you lose weight is fine in my book! I've never played the game, but I'm glad to see it actually helped someone somewhere, and with that probably many more people!

Top Bottom